Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #31
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: WTF Channel 7...stop rewriting history!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Sadly it probably falls under law that there is to be no commercial advertising allowed regarding ciggerettes.

CH7 would be breaching the laws and be up for big fines if they did.

Nothing to do with rewritting history.
You have to admit though, its pretty stupid. I see they have a number of exemptions for a number of circumstances. Surely broadcasting historical footage would be one of those? For example, displaying or using the Swastika in Germany and Austria is illegal, but there's an exemption to "display" it if it is in historical motion picture footage.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #32
gtfpv
GT

what about classic movies where people used to smoke in the movie , will they have to chp the footage and replce the smokes with those electric vapour cigarette replicas ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This isn't to do with any law. This morning on Channel 9's Today show, footage was shown of Brock's Holdens with Marlboro clearly visible with no censoring. Remember when Brock died, there was heaps of footage shown with the Marlboro decals clearly visible. If the law only changed with in the last 12 months, that would mean Channel 9 just broke a law
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #34
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie
Maybe the government should just ban smoking altogther (i gave up smoking nearly 20yrs ago).... Oh no the politicians wont do that cos they wont get the big amount of $$$ they currently get from the taxes on cigarettes.

Just wait till alcohol advertising gets banned (it will happen sooner or later)..

At the end of the day the individual person has the choice to smoke or not, just like all the other choices we all have in life.
Are these taxes enough to cover the resulting hospital bills brought about by stupid people exercising their choice to develop lung cancer?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #35
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Cant see this as being any different as Jim Beam & Jack Daniels have to cover up there alcohol advertising when they race in Abu Dhabi, everyone has to respect the law what ever or where ever it may be.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #36
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I think it's the aynal retentive Ch7 legal dept. wowsers getting carried away myself... very disappointing to see the blur.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #37
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
This isn't to do with any law. This morning on Channel 9's Today show, footage was shown of Brock's Holdens with Marlboro clearly visible with no censoring. Remember when Brock died, there was heaps of footage shown with the Marlboro decals clearly visible. If the law only changed with in the last 12 months, that would mean Channel 9 just broke a law
Historical footage doesnt come under the act...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #38
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Historical footage doesnt come under the act...
so what is historical footage
i assumed it was footage taken of subjects from a bygone era . . . . like footage taken from the 70's or 80's that contained cigarette advertising. if channel 9 did indeed show old footage of an uncensored marlboro torana, why do channel 7 have to sensor a marlboro torana
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #39
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I remember some time back a cricket match being showed and some nark complained!!
I guess you could also say there was no warning on the advertising ?? Aha...
The blurring didn't worry me too much.. Once I worked out why..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #40
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One would assume CH7 legal team would be able you answer you much better then i would....

There are plenty of TV shows from the USA which have all sorts of things blurred out... If you watch Myth Busters, the FORD badges or the Chevvy badges on thier vehicles are always blurred out.

Corporate logos are blurred out frequently. There was that show about how the new Camero is built last week. Some old footage from a drag strip was shown and the whole strip of adverts down the side of the track was blurred out.

Obviously CH7 legal team said dont show the logos live to air...

If everyone is that worried about it now (as opposed to 2006 when the law was introduced) maybe they should contact CH7 and ask why?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #41
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I guess on some U.S show.. Companies pay or supply engines etc
Say Jegs supply and there's Summit racing advertising at the track..
Competing companies..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #42
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
I've just seen historical footage of Brocky's 1979 win with the word "Marlboro" blurred out. This is what I have a problem with, big time.

The owners of those surviving cars today have to comply with the Nanny State, it's something they have to grapple with at historic meetings, the AGP etc. The broadcasters as well have to comply.

If Brocky's A9X ran around the track today the broadcaster would have to blur out that very offensive word. This is bad enough but to have to, or feel they have to do this for footage that is 33 years old it just detracts from the spectacle and really cheeses me off.

Nanny State political correctness gone too far!!!
I saw that as well...this is exactly what I was talking about...fromnow on apparently historical footage will be modified to suit the political climate of today.

Be it for racing cars or anything else, that sets a very dangerous precedent for, as I said originally, changing, rewriting, or alterning historical fact. Resign yourself to the fact that your kids and grandkids will not be able to see footage of the great race without some tight lipped weasel somewhere in a control booth blurring out what was actually there.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #43
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I can put it down to is Channel 7 decided to censor footage at their own discretion to avoid the possibility of any potential controversy from some whinging minority groups and are not required by law to do so.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #44
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I saw that as well...this is exactly what I was talking about...fromnow on apparently historical footage will be modified to suit the political climate of today.

Be it for racing cars or anything else, that sets a very dangerous precedent for, as I said originally, changing, rewriting, or alterning historical fact. Resign yourself to the fact that your kids and grandkids will not be able to see footage of the great race without some tight lipped weasel somewhere in a control booth blurring out what was actually there.
At this rate racing will be banned along with the advertising ...with all the crazy humans driving like they are on a race track ....ban tv all together its too influential ...how far will it go , ciggies , fast food , fast cars ...alcohol would be a prime candidate next ..crazy stuff
Old 06-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've seen ch 7 showing un-censored old race footage for years, why change it now?

Hopefully they don't show any footage of Moffats Stuyvesant RX7 or i'll be right down to the shops to buy a pack.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #46
gtxb67

could someone please explain why australian muscle car magazine has images of marlboro and peter stuyvesant sponsored cars on their website in the back issues area
these mags were produced after 2006, so have i just blown the whistle on them

and let's not forget, these mags with cigarette sponsorship on the cover were on display at everyone's local newsagent in the area young male teenagers especially were likely to see them

there is a reason why channel 7 are blurring them, but i sincerely doubt it has anything to do with a 2006 law
Old 06-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #47
nstg8a

Yet after the shootout was televised they had an interview with big nose then showed the winfield gtr sliding off the road. Pretty sure I saw no blurring on that clip.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #48
gtxb67

http://www.musclecarmag.com.au/austr...ack-issues.php
there you go everyone, not on the tablet so i can paste a link
marlboro, peter stuyvesant, camel, rothmans all proudly on display on the net where young kids have access

i am sure that some of these at the very least were on display in newsagents after 2006
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #49
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob
Are these taxes enough to cover the resulting hospital bills brought about by stupid people exercising their choice to develop lung cancer?
Maybe not BUT is all the $$$ raised from the tax actually put back into the hospital system?

No its bloody well not, just like the $$$ raised from the petrol tax is hardly put back into the road network etc etc

Its why my wife and i have got full private health so we dont rely on the "public" system when we can afford to have private cover.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #50
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

At the end of the day i guess its only covering up some advertising, least the cars are shown on main stream TV once again...
I just wish Channel 7 could do something about Matt White and his love for winecup, im so bloody sick of hearing Jamie this and Jaime that blah blah blah. The guy annoys me just as much as that other flog Leigh Diffy that does the presenting on the GT sportscars racing in america and his love for the Government Motors Chevrolet.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #51
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The ban also applies to scale models of these cars being sold in shops etc. They come without the naughty words, but generally you can buy them separately to put on the car once you buy it.

Absolutely ridiculous situation not being able to see these cars as they were. I've been watching motor racing since the '70's seeing the various cigarette brands being advertised on the cars, a whole list of them, but that never made me buy or smoke any of them.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #52
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Just something to think about, why is there not a thread kicking about citing outrage at Biante models not being released with the ciggies logos on them? I have a few models now that should have the logos but don't. Outrage! Disrespect! Etc!

Same thing, as I see it. Or is it just an excuse for the masses to have a misguided sook about Channel 7 again? Maybe it was Matt Whites own personal idea to annoy us fans even more that he already apparently does....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #53
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
could someone please explain why australian muscle car magazine has images of marlboro and peter stuyvesant sponsored cars on their website in the back issues area
these mags were produced after 2006, so have i just blown the whistle on them

and let's not forget, these mags with cigarette sponsorship on the cover were on display at everyone's local newsagent in the area young male teenagers especially were likely to see them

there is a reason why channel 7 are blurring them, but i sincerely doubt it has anything to do with a 2006 law
It began in 2007 with tighter laws but notice how strident packaging laws have become of late,
and now that blank package laws are in place any form of cigarette advertising is now banned.

I think you'll find that the authorities are either not aware of or are turning a blind eye to
the magazines advertised on the net ...hopefully, they don't jerry form too many people talking...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #54
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Get this into ya chennel 7. The bike I built for the 2009 series....

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #55
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Hot bike, but I'd probably blur that head if I were channel 7!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #56
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a bit pointless really, unless you work behind a ciggie counter or are over 35, you probably wouldn't know that Peter Stuyvescent is a cigarette brand.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #57
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Here without the poor overworked bugger behind it>>

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #58
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who really gives a stuff?? There are much bigger issues & problems in the world.. Build a bridge for god sake!!

And how is this is any way "rewriting history"???????????
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #59
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

While I disagree with the nanny state mentality, it maybe that a few million more people are watching Bathurst vs those pawn shows and they decided not to risk it.

At the F1 I saw some of those old classic cars and the cars are not even painted with the original signs anymore. Just a black blobby patch where the Malboro sign was or Peter one one side and Jackson on the other for Setons old car, so nothing to blur there anymore.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #60
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Does this mean Ch9 will blur out Benson Hedges in the ol'skool cricket footage?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post