Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #31
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Ford to continue designing and building in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Holden boss was also interviewed and used the opportunity to advertise the Commodores export to the US where it would be badged as a sporting Chev sedan.
He also thought they'd be racing at Texas Motor Speedway
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #32
Mad_Pom

I do not see any news here.
Bob Graziano reafirmed the already stated fact to continue building vehicles in Australia.
This is a reafirmation of the co-investment with the government to continue building Falcon & Territory upto Stage V (Nov 2016)

This is good news that there will be manufacturing upto Nov 2016, but this is not any new news for post Nov 2016 and there does not need to be any plans until mid-2013.

Last edited by Mad_Pom; 07-10-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #33
BluXR6T

What I also found surprising is that he mentioned that we are 0ne in only 13 countries that can design and produce cars anywhere in the world, made point on this as one of our good advantages we have. I hope that helps in some sort of way to secure our future for car manufacturing.
BluXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #34
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no I'm not blindly beliving him as you say but unlike the doom and gloom brigade I see it as a ray of hope that the Falcon MAY POSSIBLY continue beyound 2016.
the doom and gloom brigade are the ones blindly follow their uninformed theories ( I don't call carsales.com an informed source), it seems that a small group of people have an agenda to push and won't be happy till they see the Falcon dead.
The more negativity there is from enthusiasts the more chance the Falcon will be killed off, why would ford continue with the falcon when even the enthusiasts appear to want to kill it off
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Well if you want to blindly believe everything you hear then that is your issue. Some of us are just being realistic.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #35
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm just glad someone at Ford knows how to talk to the media.. It is good to see him talk it up. It create positive spin & story & not the negative ones we normally end up getting..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #36
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
no I'm not blindly beliving him as you say but unlike the doom and gloom brigade I see it as a ray of hope that the Falcon MAY POSSIBLY continue beyound 2016.
the doom and gloom brigade are the ones blindly follow their uninformed theories ( I don't call carsales.com an informed source), it seems that a small group of people have an agenda to push and won't be happy till they see the Falcon dead.
The more negativity there is from enthusiasts the more chance the Falcon will be killed off, why would ford continue with the falcon when even the enthusiasts appear to want to kill it off
I don't want to see the Falcon disappear as much as you don't, but it is obvious that the decisions have already be made regarding the future of Falcon and manufacturing, and there is buckleys chance of their plans being reversed at this stage. What we are hearing from Ford is nothing more than PR spin and damage control and I am not gullible enough to buy it, plain and simple.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #37
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

message received and understood. I didn't realise you were a senior Ford executive involved in the decision making process I will never doubt you again
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
I don't want to see the Falcon disappear as much as you don't, but it is obvious that the decisions have already be made regarding the future of Falcon and manufacturing, and there is buckleys chance of their plans being reversed at this stage. What we are hearing from Ford is nothing more than PR spin and damage control and I am not gullible enough to buy it, plain and simple.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Don't read too much into it, because its the same thing they have been saying for a while now. That they plan on staying until at least 2016.

Nothing new here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #39
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good news, I hope whatever they build will be successful enough to keep Ford here for the next 50 years.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #40
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

FORUMS:
"Wish FoA would come out publicly and state that they are committed to AU in manufacturing"

PRES OF FoA
"Australia being 1 of only 13 countries who are in the wonderful position to be able to design AND manufacturer their own cars ....... we are committed to continue to support FoA in the design AND manufacturer in Australia".

FORUMS:
"OK .... but wish FoA would come out publicly and state that they are committed to AU in manufacturing"

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #41
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
FORUMS:
PRES OF FoA
"Australia being 1 of only 13 countries who are in the wonderful position to be able to design AND manufacturer their own cars ....... we are committed to continue to support FoA in the design AND manufacturer in Australia".
"
Thats a very old worn line that they bring out every so often. Just listing the 28 largest car producing nations in the world in 2011 (yes had to go all the way down to 28 to include australia), and then listing some of the car companies in those countries(some have been bought out by multinational) but still design cars in the country. I am sure that if i worked on the list a bit more, i could fill in the gaps for the countries that havent been listed as having the ability to design cars (16 thus far).
01 China 18,418,876 Chery, Great Wall
02 United States 8,653,560 GM, Ford
03 Japan 8,398,654 Toyota, Nissan
04 Germany[16] 6,311,318 Mercedes. BMW
05 South Korea 4,657,094 Daewoo
06 India 3,936,448 Tata
07 Brazil 3,406,150
08 Mexico 2,680,037 Mastretta, Cimex, With the Renault-Nissan Alliance, Nissan México designed the Platina
09 Spain 2,353,682 Seat
10 France 2,294,889 Renault
11 Canada 2,134,893
12 Russia[22] 1,988,036 GAZ
13 Iran 1,648,505 Iran kohdro, Saipa
14 United Kingdom 1,463,999 Land Rover
15 Thailand 1,457,798 Thai Rung
16 Czech Republic 1,199,834 Skoda
17 Turkey 1,189,131
18 Indonesia 837,948
19 Poland 837,132
20 Argentina 828,771
21 Italy 790,348 Fiat, Ferrari
22 Slovakia 639,763
23 Belgium 562,386
24 Malaysia 533,695 Proton
25 South Africa 532,545
26 Taiwan 343,296
27 Romania 335,232
28 Australia 224,193
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #42
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
FORUMS:
"Wish FoA would come out publicly and state that they are committed to AU in manufacturing"

PRES OF FoA

FORUMS:
"OK .... but wish FoA would come out publicly and state that they are committed to AU in manufacturing"

Exactly...

And he is not refering to up till 2016-18, thats old news we already know that...this points at continued commitment post those dates.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #43
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd love to see design and manufacture continue, but the falcon sales figures arnt great and territory's golden glow is fadeing.

Something more than a nice word from the current president needs to happen

Perhaps they are working on something I don't know

It doesn't have to be the falcon / territory, bu it would be a sad day when the last ford rear wheel drive sedan rolls off the line

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #44
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Ford to continue designing and building in Australia

Good!

Ford was NEVER leaving Australia, also the engineering team is strong and hiring, they need qualified engineers.

What is finished is the Falcon, but it looks like they have ideas to build some other vehicle here in Victoria. The mail is for a wagonid version on the Ranger Ute. [Think Pathfinder is to Navara]

Broady needs Ford manufacture, as does Victoria, and Australia.

Which one is it, Focus, Mondeo, F150, Fiesta, Mustang or some other model all together?? [Wagonid Ranger?]

Last edited by RASER; 08-10-2012 at 09:38 AM.
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #45
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What ? Captain Slow's Dacia is ahead of Australia...!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #46
tweeked
N/A all the way

Seriously, people need to stop sooking because someone has an opinion. If you think that the opinions of people on here have any impact whatsoever on the future of Fords manufacturing here you just dont get it. "hey a few people over on Ford Forums in Oz believe the Falcon is doomed, hey we better pull out!!!!" Yeah right.

Anyway, it is positive news. my opinion............. the Ranger is the best bet to manufacture here. Our industy requires a vehicle like this, and the commercial vehicle market does not have the cultural cringe factor that dogs the Ford brand.

The large low cost sedan is dead.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #47
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
I don't recall Bob Graziano stipulating they will still be making the Falcon in this country...I recall him saying Ford will still be manufacturered in this country...My ears might have been playing up too..
yes, and mike devereaux said the same thing about holden.

more importantly,

how long has Devereaux been head of holden, and this is his FIRST bathurst?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #48
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Good!

Ford was NEVER leaving Australia, also the engineering team is strong and hiring, they need qualified engineers.

What is finished is the Falcon, but it looks like they have ideas to build some other vehicle here in Victoria. The mail is for a wagonid version on the Ranger Ute. [Think Pathfinder is to Navara]

Broady needs Ford manufacture, as does Victoria, and Australia.

Which one is it, Focus, Mondeo, F150, Fiesta, Mustang or some other model all together?? [Wagonid Ranger?]
I hear what your saying but the Ford Everest is the same chassis as the Ranger and we would have to take production away from Thailand to do so.
also would they build Both Territory & Everest. They would both need a revision by 2016 so maybe thats the avenue. ie combine them
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #49
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
And he is not refering to up till 2016-18, thats old news we already know that...this points at continued commitment post those dates.
How do you know this?

You are making a complete assumption. I hope you are right.

But....

Here was a perfect opportunity for the head of Ford Aus to:
1. Talk about the Falcon and Bathurst.
2. Talk up the Falcon (mention the EB/lpi and all the green development that's been going on).
3. Talk up Australias world class Ford rwd platform and the possibility of it being used globally (use the word "possible" and it's not locking in anything definite)...

But no. Falcon not mentioned once. No dates mentioned. Just airy fairy PC speak...

Fans must ask: was this just a missed opportunity, or does he know what's coming and doesn't want to break the bad news.

Yes he spoke of manfacturing continuing in Aus, but that doesn't mean Falcon... could easily be the Focus - in the same way the Cruze is "Aus made" - manufactured overseas, assembled here....

If cars are made here just next year, what he said was correct.

And, in Sydney at least, there were no Ford/FPV ads the entire race...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #50
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
The way the car market is at this point in time, both the Falcon and Commodore will probably be killed off, as the market place is looking at the smaller car market.

So as long as Holden, Ford and Toyota are still designing and building cars in this country, who cares what they're called? Personally I don't....I'm more interested in Aussies still having a job, rather than discussing about a name of a bloody car

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I can't believe that people still want Ford to commit to plans that are more than four years away...

A good update to Falcon at the end of 2014 means it will gain global styling cues and more global Ford features,
a car like that could run until the end of 2016, receive another refresh and Euro 5 emission upgrades and stay until 2018..

Anything is possible..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #52
Flat Top
lid man

THIS IS GREAT NEWS , there should be quotation requests for approved local suppliers coming down the line soon???
Flat Top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #53
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I can't believe that people still want Ford to commit to plans that are more than four years away...

A good update to Falcon at the end of 2014 means it will gain global styling cues and more global Ford features,
a car like that could run until the end of 2016, receive another refresh and Euro 5 emission upgrades and stay until 2018..

Anything is possible..
But there's still going to be a bunch of idiots somewhere that think a large glasshouse means the styling is stuck in the 90's....
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #54
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's still early days for the ecoboost falcon which could save the falcon. we drove one 2 weeks ago looking at 2 G6E EB falcons for hirecars and they were better than me wildest expectations. this is a quick nimble full sized car with the power of a 6 and the consumption of a 4. My partner laughed at me when I said we should drive a 4 cylinder falcon , after driving it she wants 2 of them.
and when word about how good they are gets around they will kill camry sales . I can see big numbers coming up for the EB falcon

Rides:

Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #55
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
How do you know this?
Because, 2014 update has been confirmed already, this takes the falcon out for another (up to) 4 years (as the update should stay for more then 2 years).

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #56
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Because, 2014 update has been confirmed already, this takes the falcon out for another (up to) 4 years (as the update should stay for more then 2 years).
An update will only "stay" as long as it's financially viable. Implementing an update can also be cancelled anytime.

The big issue is there was no mention of the word "Falcon". So this "commitment" doesn't mean the Falcons future is there beyond 2016. Why did he not mention the "Falcon"? At Bathurst. On the 50th running of the event. This makes any prediction based on his words a big assumption.

Manufacturing here beyond 2016 may be in minor roles... Or assembling Focus/Fiestas that are built o/s...

No ones looking for a solid commitment. But a vote of confidence in Fords iconic Falcon would have been enough. Avoiding mentioning the car at all (and not advertising the Falcon - or any Ford during Aus' biggest race) should be cause for concern. That's all.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #57
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
and when word about how good they are gets around they will kill camry sales . I can see big numbers coming up for the EB falcon
That's just it, isn't it. How does one get the "word around?" Keeps coming up, doesn't it?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
An update will only "stay" as long as it's financially viable. Implementing an update can also be cancelled anytime.
Not if the money has already been spent, $103 million to secure Falcon for two more years after 2014
and Ford has to only put in $50 million of that. Now at 1,000 sales a month at an average retail of $40K,
that's $40 millon a month in revenue before even considering Territory with an update too..

Field reliability testing usually starts about 12 months before release, so by that timeline,
the development program for the '14 Falcon and Territory is most likely half finished..

Consider this, in 2008 FG Falcon arrived and then two years and $20 million later Falcon gets Euro 4 update,
I can see the same thing happening to the 2014 car, more so because Euro 5 post 2016 is not as big a jump as Euro 4 was.
If Euro 5 cost for Falcon was only about $10 million, I could see the government picking up the lot to keep jobs here after 2016..

Last edited by jpd80; 08-10-2012 at 09:41 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #59
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
it's still early days for the ecoboost falcon which could save the falcon. we drove one 2 weeks ago looking at 2 G6E EB falcons for hirecars and they were better than me wildest expectations. this is a quick nimble full sized car with the power of a 6 and the consumption of a 4. My partner laughed at me when I said we should drive a 4 cylinder falcon , after driving it she wants 2 of them.
But thats the thing, sales are not improving, and doing nothing to promote means it will continue to do nothing.

Broadmeadows actually built 1 on a day last week. 1 single Ecoboost for a whole day. And the rest of the days of that week the most they built was 4. Its gone nowhere.

How long can Ford think that magically, word of mouth is going to start selling them. Ecoboost awareness is near zero and 6 months after release it hasn't changed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #60
stang65
FPRJET

POSITIVE NEWS!!!!!!!!
Great to see the usual closet Holden supporters try to shoot it down.
As mentioned earlier should we call Mike Deveraex a liar as well or we just believe him because Holden never tell a lie and have told us there will be a comodoore after 2016.