Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2010, 03:38 AM   #31
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Landrover doesnt have the badge in the middle like that.
maybe it will in 2012? looks much more like a freelander than a territory/explorer

Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #32
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

excuse the massive pic, it's a hot link
Old 29-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #33
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
If (IF), we are to loss the locally built Falcon, god hopes the Taurus is imported & sold as a Taurus & not a Falcon. It 100% does not desvere the Falcon name. Don't insult the Falcon name!!
I can guarantee you one thing, it won't be called a Taurus.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
I can guarantee you one thing, it won't be called a Taurus.
It's just because the Taurus isn't RWD. Anything that is RWD is fantastic because it can do cool burnouts man! And anything that is FWD or AWD is crap, cos it can't do cool burnouts or donuts! (speaking out for bogans).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 04:23 AM   #35
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
It's just because the Taurus isn't RWD. Anything that is RWD is fantastic because it can do cool burnouts man! And anything that is FWD or AWD is crap, cos it can't do cool burnouts or donuts! (speaking out for bogans).
a FWD can do burnouts, it's called wheel hop and is mega comfortable and cool.

seriously though, it's nothing to do with that. In australia we're used to the handling and feel of a big RWD sedan and have been for decades on decades. A front wheel drive takes off differently, corners differently, and in my experience just isn't fun in a big car. Keep FWD for the small/mid segment, RWD for the large. I don't care what sort of trick dif it has, a FWD just does not compare.
Old 29-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #36
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

The front end has styling similar, of course on a weaker scale, to the Explorer America concept, but then the stlying ends there...

I agree, the rest of the side of the vehicle looks similar to Territory.

Very few customers used the Explorer to it's towing capacity, thus the lack of concern to move to FWD. From what I have heard the capacity of the FWD version won't be too much less than the current version.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #37
greens_tuf

Why are they obsessed with FWD???
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #38
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Hybrid drivetrain perhaps?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #39
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greens_tuf
Ever tried driving on ice with RWD? Going up and down mountains. Readers on this forum should know America is very familiar with RWD. Australia makes two RWD cars, and US still makes quite a few. 300, charger, Town Car, Grand Marquis, crown Vic, CTS, STS, Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, Silverado, Ram, F-series, Exped, current Explorer, Durango, tahoe, Suburban, not to mention all the foreign makes which builds RWD cars in the US. And a while ago everything was RWD. So stop complaining about what Americans drive. The climate conditions are different. Ice changes everything. You don't understand it until you have lost all control on ice. Yet somehow FWD just doesn't get traction on Australian roads, where it barely even rains let alone snows.
Old 29-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #40
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why must every thread about these American cars end up in a RWD/FWD debate? Seriously, we've herd the pros and cons of both several times now and if it's that concerning to the FWD haters start another FWD hating thread.

I for one think the thing looks ace. But it does look softer though, it needs something to make it look a little tougher? I too can see a little Land Rover in there, but that's no bad thing. It is definitely the Explorer, as Ford don't have much to do with Land Rover these days so why would they be carting around their prototypes? I could see this being a decent replacement for the Territory should that be the chosen route, providing the interior is up to scratch. Going by Fords recent goods, it will be well built, stylish and modern inside. Hopefully American SUV buyer fall back in love with the Explorer...
Old 29-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #41
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
on Australian roads, where it barely even rains let alone snows.
barely even rains? are you joking? Have you been here, or are you basing this on outtakes of croc dundee and priscilla, queen of the desert?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJZTleRhWA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syx1uirQYrQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFTEo9gh0yo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrv0aawJ-ss

melbourne yearly rainfall: 638.8mm
sydney yearly rainfall: 1217mm

and all the years i've been to the snow must have been a dream.. or when it snowed in the suburbs three times.

the very fact that we DO only make four (not two) RWD vehicles is even more reason why we do not want FWD. The four cars, all being family size, are what we are used to. As soon as one manufacturer goes FWD, others will follow no doubt. But why are you getting so defensive about what australians prefer? Taking it as a personal insult and getting fired up? Really not getting that.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 29-03-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 29-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #42
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
because it's cheaper
Old 29-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #43
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's got nothing to do with RWD, FWD or AWD, the name Taurus is a marketing nightmare in Australia.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #44
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default At the risk of being unpopular…

The Explorers MY2012 designation fits in nicely with Fords current bait and switch tactic to deliver bad news. First we got ‘We’re losing Focus production, but don’t worry as we’re updating the Falcon & Territory engines’. Then we got ‘We don’t need to make a decision on Falcon Wagon until early 2010’, and of course after the decision, ‘We don’t need Falcon Wagon anymore as the Diesel Mondeo is a much better proposition’. This leaves us with, ‘We don’t need to make a decision on Falcon until 2011’. Call me cynical but could the bait and switch in 2011 will be ‘Yeah this is the last Falcon/Territory and local Ford production will cease in 2015, but:

1. We're importing their replacements the Taurus & Explorer effective 2012 (i.e. with the aim to create a market for the vehicles and wean consumers/fleets off domestically produced vehicles.
2. The all new Mustang will come to Australia in 2015 shortly after its international launch (keep performance fans happy).
3. The T6 ‘Aussie’ designed all new Ranger will be launched in 2012 to sit along the Falcon Ute (until it’s phased out).
4. Oh yeah, we’ll build you that GT-HO you’ve been crying for before we close up shop.’

For me, as others have stated the only chance Falcon has of surviving as RWD is if Ford decides to produce a premium RWD product for their luxury brand Lincoln and mates it to the Mustang. Even so it’ll be priced at a premium and sit above Taurus which will effectively replace Falcon in the budget market. What’d we think?
:
Old 29-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #45
greens_tuf

Quote:
Ever tried driving on ice with RWD? Going up and down mountains. Readers on this forum should know America is very familiar with RWD. Australia makes two RWD cars, and US still makes quite a few. 300, charger, Town Car, Grand Marquis, crown Vic, CTS, STS, Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, Silverado, Ram, F-series, Exped, current Explorer, Durango, tahoe, Suburban, not to mention all the foreign makes which builds RWD cars in the US. And a while ago everything was RWD. So stop complaining about what Americans drive. The climate conditions are different. Ice changes everything. You don't understand it until you have lost all control on ice. Yet somehow FWD just doesn't get traction on Australian roads, where it barely even rains let alone snows.
Take a chill pill mate, I simply asked a question, everything seems to be going FWD... I live in AUSTRALIA and want a RWD AUSTRALIAN car so you can take your FWD and do something with it... :thebirds:
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #46
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
barely even rains? are you joking? Have you been here, or are you basing this on outtakes of croc dundee and priscilla, queen of the desert?.....
But why are you getting so defensive about what australians prefer? Taking it as a personal insult and getting fired up? Really not getting that.
Umm I have lived there for most of my life... yeah it rains all the time hey. No water restrictions either? Must have been a dream I had. Yeah the Thompson is overflowing!
By the way, I have also been to Mt. Buller a few times, but driving 3 times in snow in your life - taking chains with you for that lightly covered road. 99% of the time you will never have to use. It is a bit different to driving every day to work for a whole season on a sheet of ice or through a few feet of snow. Then there are mountains to deal with. Two months ago, I drove to Jackson, Wyoming, snowing the whole way. I promise you, a Falcon would not have made it. I had it in 4x4 the whole way there and back. I wasn't even talking about what Australians prefer. The question was about why Americans like FWD. Next time you should get angry. I don't think you show enough anger.

Quote:
Take a chill pill mate, I simply asked a question
and I simply answered it :-) Does my Ford look like a FWD to you?
Old 29-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #47
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Umm I have lived there for most of my life... yeah it rains all the time hey. No water restrictions either? Must have been a dream I had. Yeah the Thompson is overflowing!
By the way, I have also been to Mt. Buller a few times, but driving 3 times in snow in your life - taking chains with you for that lightly covered road. 99% of the time you will never have to use. It is a bit different to driving every day to work for a whole season on a sheet of ice or through a few feet of snow. Then there are mountains to deal with. Two months ago, I drove to Jackson, Wyoming, snowing the whole way. I promise you, a Falcon would not have made it. I had it in 4x4 the whole way there and back. I wasn't even talking about what Australians prefer. The question was about why Americans like FWD. Next time you should get angry. I don't think you show enough anger.

and I simply answered it :-) Does my Ford look like a FWD to you?
you'd know if i got angry, i rarely do on here, don't mistake my dry tone for anger, i purely and simply stated the facts. Saying there is stuff all rain and basically no snow, and we only make 'two rwd's' is complete BS and i called you on it, nothing more. To be quite honest you were the one who looked as though you were angry, that's why i mentioned it in my preceeding post.
Old 29-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #48
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
you'd know if i got angry, i rarely do on here, don't mistake my dry tone for anger, i purely and simply stated the facts. Saying there is stuff all rain and basically no snow, and we only make 'two rwd's' is complete BS and i called you on it, nothing more. To be quite honest you were the one who looked as though you were angry, that's why i mentioned it in my preceeding post.
Really? I am re-reading that post you are referring to, and I don't see anger in it. Sorry if it came across that way. I wasn't angry at the time, so didn't even think it would sound that way. I was pointing out something that I know Australians forget about. Ice. Trying to drive interstate during a snow blizzard (especially at night) is a little different from crawling your way up Mt. Buller once a year. That's just a fact. Not trying to hurt anyones feelings.
Old 29-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #49
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Yeah it's all good let's just kiss and make up.

Back on topic, if that is the new territory/exploder then so be it, I don't mind the look at least.
Old 29-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #50
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i am liking it. So far so good. I assume the bumper is body coloured plastic, and the grille is chrome. I have just started liking the idea of the Flex EcoBoost too (took a while for it to grow on me), but i like it a lot now.
Old 29-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #51
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
The Explorers MY2012 designation fits in nicely with Fords current bait and switch tactic to deliver bad news. First we got ‘We’re losing Focus production, but don’t worry as we’re updating the Falcon & Territory engines’. Then we got ‘We don’t need to make a decision on Falcon Wagon until early 2010’, and of course after the decision, ‘We don’t need Falcon Wagon anymore as the Diesel Mondeo is a much better proposition’. This leaves us with, ‘We don’t need to make a decision on Falcon until 2011’. Call me cynical but could the bait and switch in 2011 will be ‘Yeah this is the last Falcon/Territory and local Ford production will cease in 2015, but:

1. We're importing their replacements the Taurus & Explorer effective 2012 (i.e. with the aim to create a market for the vehicles and wean consumers/fleets off domestically produced vehicles.
2. The all new Mustang will come to Australia in 2015 shortly after its international launch (keep performance fans happy).
3. The T6 ‘Aussie’ designed all new Ranger will be launched in 2012 to sit along the Falcon Ute (until it’s phased out).
4. Oh yeah, we’ll build you that GT-HO you’ve been crying for before we close up shop.’

For me, as others have stated the only chance Falcon has of surviving as RWD is if Ford decides to produce a premium RWD product for their luxury brand Lincoln and mates it to the Mustang. Even so it’ll be priced at a premium and sit above Taurus which will effectively replace Falcon in the budget market. What’d we think?
:

I think you're on the money ! :
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #52
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315

:
Well, the wagon was "canned" in 2004 but bumbled along because fleets kept wanting it. It just overstayed its welcome, that is all. But there is no volume to be had with wagons, which is why Ford invested in the Territory instead. Funnily enough, there is much more profit in a Territory than a wagon.

I still don't see how or why Ford would throw so much cash our way (in the middle of the GFC no less), almost a billion dollars, to develop new Falcon and Territory variants if they were going to order that they be discontinued. Even this far out, 5 years, there would be a dollar freeze on developing these sorts of cars.

Here's a left field idea for you: maybe the Toreass and Exploder WILL come here as Fords, and be sold alongside our locally made Falcon and Territory based vehicles which will be badged as Lincolns - Ford has made no secret of the fact that it wants Lincoln to be a global brand...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #53
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Well, the wagon was "canned" in 2004 but bumbled along because fleets kept wanting it. It just overstayed its welcome, that is all. But there is no volume to be had with wagons, which is why Ford invested in the Territory instead. Funnily enough, there is much more profit in a Territory than a wagon.

I still don't see how or why Ford would throw so much cash our way (in the middle of the GFC no less), almost a billion dollars, to develop new Falcon and Territory variants if they were going to order that they be discontinued. Even this far out, 5 years, there would be a dollar freeze on developing these sorts of cars.

Here's a left field idea for you: maybe the Toreass and Exploder WILL come here as Fords, and be sold alongside our locally made Falcon and Territory based vehicles which will be badged as Lincolns - Ford has made no secret of the fact that it wants Lincoln to be a global brand...
My comments around the Falcon Wagon were more around the method of divulging the information rather than the information itself. As you said, the Falcon Wagon has been living on borrowed time for a while now.

As for investing in the Falcon/Territory platforms, Mulally has always said that Fords recovery would be product led. There’s been no hesitation investing in platforms with a future in the One Ford plan (Fiesta / Focus / Ranger), fall outside that plan and face extinction. My fear is that Falcon died with GRWD, I hope to be proven wrong.

I like your thinking with respect to an Aussie RWD & Lincoln connection, but in Australia at least I hope they’d keep the Ford Falcon brand intact. Territory will be a harder sell due to the Exploder (as you put it) having AWD capability.
Old 29-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #54
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not liking it. The side profile looks odd to me as do the door lines. The rear window makes it look like a canopy that's been stuck on, sort of like a triton/hilux.

I'm really not liking the headlights either. There is too much lower bumper and grille so the ratio looks a little off.

Maybe I'll like the looks more in the flesh.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #55
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Some things are starting to make sense.
1 Mullaly was a big fan of Toyota and the way that they do things.
2 Lincoln is the HALO brand for ford similar to lexus is to toyota
3 premium toyota(lexus) products have rwd, hi po motors, luxury appointments etc etc

perhaps the global lincoln connection could be the key to the whole thing.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #56
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
Some things are starting to make sense.
1 Mullaly was a big fan of Toyota and the way that they do things.
2 Lincoln is the HALO brand for ford similar to lexus is to toyota
3 premium toyota(lexus) products have rwd, hi po motors, luxury appointments etc etc

perhaps the global lincoln connection could be the key to the whole thing.

My head is going to explode. If only it were true!!!
Old 29-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #57
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Looks like a bastardized Freelander.

I dont understand the whole FWD snowy mountain thing. Every FWD car I drive likes to sit there and spin when taking off uphill on a wet road
Old 30-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #58
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another vote for "i like it"
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #59
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

wonder if it is infact the next explorer, im leaning towards the next freelander or something by landrover i mean come on they both have oval badges and the styling doesnt look like Ford styling
Old 30-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #60
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default 2011 Edge & 2012 Explorer

I don't think these two would have trouble sitting in the same dealership.

Although having said that there are some similarities with the LXR Concept...

Last edited by R-Design; 30-03-2010 at 06:17 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post