Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Vehicle sizing, market share

when we look at the vehicle segments of yesteryear, we have small, medium, large and lwb.

now we have micro, small, medium and large.

if we compare the sizes of the cars, we find they almost match up, except 1 segment up from each other, eg, micro = small, small = medium etc etc.

if you look at it like this, the market share of each segment is largely unchanged. people go out and by small/medium cars but their dimensions are largely the same as the large cars of the 90's.

we cry about the large car segment of today crashing, and yet when you consider the cars are basically as large as the lwb versions, the market share is similar to what lwb used to be.

so what i'm saying is, people are still buying similarly sized vehicles, but badged differently.

i guess this is where you could argue that some manufacturers have got it wrong. by building so called 'micro' cars (which are actually just small cars of yesteryear), and continually gradually increasing the sizes of all other segments, the segment at the largest end, is the first to drop off the wall, so to speak.

just a theory i came up with. i like it

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post