Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #31
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

I had to recently buy a (new) company service vehicle (the boss had priced it in Sydney including shipping to Adelaide)

Went to 3 dealers told them that I wanted to buy the car, gave them a list of what i wanted, let them look at the trade in and told them i was getting three quotes - no play off and the best deal would get my business.

After about three days i had all the quotes in (including a promise from the most expensive to "match any quote")

Stuck to my word and the best deal got the business - was quite amazing the disparity in pricing, probably could have screwed them for another couple of hundred off but was happy with the deal i got, the boss was happy, the salesman was happy and I stuck to my word. And when i went to get the car they threw in a couple of manufacturers polo shirts!

Job done!

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #32
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

I have been dealing with the same dealer for many years now. I am very loyal to that dealer and in return I get the service and deals expected. Simple business sense. No point in generalizing, or perhaps being too precious.
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #33
TurboUteris
Dirt Squirter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP370
I have been dealing with the same dealer for many years now. I am very loyal to that dealer and in return I get the service and deals expected. Simple business sense. No point in generalizing, or perhaps being too precious.
If all people were like you,the world would be a better place.
Old 16-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #34
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboUteris
If all people were like you,the world would be a better place.
Looking back at my post - well deserved response.
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
in many ways the first dealer is at a disatvantage. In many cases you can give a competitive price but then have that beaten by the next bloke. I understand people have to get a good deal. However dont begrudge the dealer for not wanting to enter into what could end up a dutch auction.
I don't begrudge them at all, they've just given me zero reasons to buy a car from them. If you don't offer me a price there's no chance in the world I'll buy a car from you and if you offer me a competitive price (well, me personally...) there's a pretty good chance I'll sign right there and then, yet the OP I was responding to also wouldn't have got my sale by offering sticker price and hurrying me along.

While I'm not a salesman, if I was working on commission, I'd want to be giving myself the best chance of making a sale to every punter that asked me for a price. If they use it to drive another dealer down, so be it.. I'd guarantee that, if the price was right, some of them wouldn't walk off the lot and some might even come back after they've been elsewhere.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #36
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I agree with Lightning BFGT I dont like being jumped on or followed around, but if I ask for some help and show Im interested in buying I would expect the salesman to do his job, if not like Drone I'll find a salesman at another yard who will.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #37
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I don't begrudge them at all, they've just given me zero reasons to buy a car from them. If you don't offer me a price there's no chance in the world I'll buy a car from you and if you offer me a competitive price (well, me personally...) there's a pretty good chance I'll sign right there and then, yet the OP I was responding to also wouldn't have got my sale by offering sticker price and hurrying me along.

While I'm not a salesman, if I was working on commission, I'd want to be giving myself the best chance of making a sale to every punter that asked me for a price. If they use it to drive another dealer down, so be it.. I'd guarantee that, if the price was right, some of them wouldn't walk off the lot and some might even come back after they've been elsewhere.
If you came on to the lot and made it clear you just wanted a price before you went to get your second quote then I'd probably leave you with the retail. 9/10 times the second dealer gets the best shot.

However in saying that, I wouldn't just bar you at that. I'd at least ask you some questions relating to whether if I do drop the price would you be happy to start talking seriously. I'd most likely inform you that it is not in my power to be discounting prices without first discussing with my sales manager. At that point, you'd have to be obliged to at least sit down and we'll move a little further in the process..

At the end of the day, a lot of people are price persuaded. If you go down to another dealer, they'll beat it. Whether it's by 50 dollars or 500, they'll beat it. They have to in order to try and get the deal off you. I could give you the bottom line, but hang on... you mentioned yourself that if you were working on commission you'd want to make every sale to everyone you saw... But at least ask yourself this: "If I give every enquiry our 'best price' - just how much commission will I be making?" You'll find the answer is most likely 'zip.' Not to mention, if I have a mystery shopper come on the yard and I give him a "competitive" price and he reports that back to head office I would most probably be castrated by my management.

A lot of people have this deep perception that both car salesmen and car dealerships are profit powerhouses. What you'll really find if you were to look closely at it is that we aren't making the thousands off you that you think we are.

Though this article http://www3.countrycars.com.au/Edito...ID=11299&vf=12 doesn't really work in much favour of my position, it does have a few points that ring true.
Old 17-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #38
drone

Heya, thanks for the comments, i'll get pics up when i pick it up, finally decided on dark grey metallic when i sorted the financing out on monday. Yeah it hasn't been given quite the best wrap for going a bit softer, but it makes it a bit easier to live with the car day to day.

I do realise buying a car based on how you get treated isnt the most intelligent thing to do, but its not the case. I have been looking for a while and i need the car quite soon. Then theres also the luxury car tax being increased, not that it was a huge factor but it does make a difference. I was ready to buy a car, i had narrowed down my options, and went looking. The STi ticked all my box's and then some, most of it came down to the test drive. VW were screwing me around on price and the ford dealership couldn't deliver anything. In hindsight maybe i could have waited and test driven the others, but i new this was the car i wanted after stepping out of it and finding the right price.

What i cant understand is that its there job to be selling cars. I've been served better at retail outlets, young kids trying harder to sell you a pair of jeans or t-shirt then these people. As Rodp mentioned it is commissioned based and if it were me, I'd definitely be bit more professional about it. Who knows maybe i didn't look like a serious buyer, but even so with the dealership empty its not hard to get up and try to find out. Like some people have mentioned here its not pleasant being hounded by dealers but the complete opposite is just as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd

The need for a dealership in every suburb has passed, as most ppl do the 'virtual' tyre kicking on the net and most information about new models is so readily available without actually visiting the dealership. The world has shrunk, and driving 3 or 4 suburbs to go to the dealer for the test drive isnt as big a problem as it would have been in the 60's for example.

Test drives would be easier to organise with the specific model YOU want (not something similar), the number of demo cars could be rationalized and all of the savings can be passed on to the customer/used to improve dealerships/be reinvested into improving new models.

Thats why drone went to subaru docklands, when he probably passed 4 ford dealers between his home to docklands. Because he didnt care about how close the dealer was, just how good they were.

Thoughts guys???

and yes i know im a genius
Exactly, your spending tens of thousands of dollars. A short time out of your day to get to a dealership you know is good isn't a hassle at all. That said they also have alot more involvement with the customer after the purchase has been made. Membership to the WRX club, driver training days and track days already orginised. The two head salesman are involved in the track days and see their customers on a regular basis. STi can modify your car for you (although it probably costs an arm and a leg lol).

When your that close to a purchase these things factor in, and its whole lot better then an idiot answering "no" for every question you've asked.
drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #39
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I don't think its a bad thing to base your purchase decision on how you're treated at the dealer... if you get a shoddy treatment there's a good chance that if anything goes wrong and needs warranty attention you will get the cold shoulder and they won't want to know you...
Old 17-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #40
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
I can confidently say I can understand why he'd be acting that way. I'm a new car salesman myself. Now I probably wouldn't be as rude as what you're describing, but if you were to tell me you wanted my price before you head off to another dealer I'd give you the retail price and let you be on your way.

At the end of the day, I work to sell cars. I don't work to give you a shopping ticket to go elsewhere.
Also, depending on the model, Mazda are frequently in the position of being able to sell every car they can get, without working too hard. They don't even see the need to have a fleet discount.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #41
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I don't think its a bad thing to base your purchase decision on how you're treated at the dealer...
I can relate to this. Back in May 2001 I had decided on an AUII XR8 220 as a company purchase after much research. The 220kW version had just been announced. I went to Jubilee Ford as it was close to home and made it clear I was definitely buying if I could get what I wanted for my trade-in, a 2000 Nissan Maxima, which was $32K. The salesman took a look and said that was reasonable and went to "speak to the sales manager". He came back and said they would give me $32K but only on the 200kW version and I had to do a deal there and then.

I was a bit annoyed, said no thanks, I want the 220kW model.

My boys and I drove to Parramatta for lunch and about 2pm went to Thomson Ford. The salesman asked me what I was after, I told him and he asked what would it take to make me buy. Well, I got $33K for my Maxima and a few other things thrown in. The only thing he said was that he wanted the Maxima straightaway and he let me have a "little red wagon" XF wagon to drive until my XR8 was built.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #42
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
If you came on to the lot and made it clear you just wanted a price before you went to get your second quote then I'd probably leave you with the retail. 9/10 times the second dealer gets the best shot.
You'd think you were dealing with someone with half a deck if they flat out came out with that one. :P

Quote:
However in saying that, I wouldn't just bar you at that. I'd at least ask you some questions relating to whether if I do drop the price would you be happy to start talking seriously. I'd most likely inform you that it is not in my power to be discounting prices without first discussing with my sales manager. At that point, you'd have to be obliged to at least sit down and we'll move a little further in the process..

At the end of the day, a lot of people are price persuaded. If you go down to another dealer, they'll beat it. Whether it's by 50 dollars or 500, they'll beat it. They have to in order to try and get the deal off you..
Some people are and some people aren't, you probably won't be able to tell what the primary motivation is of someone until they sign on someone's dotted line. I went to many Ford dealers on my last car purchase and the sale hinged on a reasonable deal on my trade. I let them take the first stab and the *best* offer I was given was $10k! 2004 XR8. I didn't even get to negotiating price at that point.

I then lined up a number of alternative vehicles and went marquis shopping. When I landed at VW, I was given $17k on the spot for trade and a corporate discount (which was ~$10k off drive away + a salesman slash of the price ontop of that). I hadn't even evaluated a number of different cars I was considering and I had no intention of going to another VW dealer to try and save $500. After taking the car for a test drive, within 5 minutes of talking to a salesman I had signed.

Quote:
I could give you the bottom line, but hang on... you mentioned yourself that if you were working on commission you'd want to make every sale to everyone you saw... But at least ask yourself this: "If I give every enquiry our 'best price' - just how much commission will I be making?" You'll find the answer is most likely 'zip.' Not to mention, if I have a mystery shopper come on the yard and I give him a "competitive" price and he reports that back to head office I would most probably be castrated by my management.
You'd be castrated by management for slashing a few bucks off sticker price? Never paid sticker price for a car in my life and that's never going to change. Are management ex-salesman or bean counters? If I walk onto a yard looking for a car and when I asked what sort of deal you can do for me and he gives me list price, sale lost right then and there, every word said to me after that point is wasted breath.

You can guarantee you won't make the sale or at least be in the race. I'd want to be in the race if it meant money in my pocket.
Old 17-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #43
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drone
The WRX STi was first up and the salesman gave it an absolute thrashing, the sheer grip and acceleration was mind blowing! Then my turn. It is truly something special! I could not get the grin off my face when i stepped out of the car. I was sold, so i bought the car then and there. Cannot wait to pick it up!!
Congrats on the purchase, great choice although I would have gone for the Liberty.

The WRX STi is getting good press over here in NZ, the AA especially love it...

AA Motoring Excellence Awards - Performance Car of the year
AA Motoring Excellence Awards - Car of the year
AA Motoring Excellence Awards - Safest Car of the year
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #44
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

I think what people need to relise is that ford and holden dealers are so compeditive as their are so many out their, if you dont get a good deal from one, you can just go to the next suburb and try for a better deal.
The salespeople know this, and is why they will not just give away their best price willy nilly.
Where as Subaru will probably only a couple of dealers in a whole major city. So when you show you are interested in that make, you will not be inclined to go to another dealer 50kms away.
Either way i certainly would not let a salesperson tell me what car to buy.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #45
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
You'd be castrated by management for slashing a few bucks off sticker price? Never paid sticker price for a car in my life and that's never going to change. Are management ex-salesman or bean counters? If I walk onto a yard looking for a car and when I asked what sort of deal you can do for me and he gives me list price, sale lost right then and there, every word said to me after that point is wasted breath.

You can guarantee you won't make the sale or at least be in the race. I'd want to be in the race if it meant money in my pocket.
I wouldn't call it a few bucks. You're suggesting I should slash several thousand dollars of potential profit for my bosses business before I run something past him? If you were running a business for profit and had your staff do that, I'll bet my bottom dollar you'd be a tad frustrated. If not, you shouldn't run a business.

You all think that you should be able to buy cars for nothing. Whilst I don't disagree with negotiating a deal, you don't go into a supermarket and talk down a loaf of bread now do you?

My main gripe is those bastards who walk on to the lot, and look at me like I'm worthless to him and yet you still have the nerve to ask me what my best price is before we've even introduced ourselves to each other..
Old 18-06-2008, 02:47 AM   #46
drone

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a few bucks. You're suggesting I should slash several thousand dollars of potential profit for my bosses business before I run something past him? If you were running a business for profit and had your staff do that, I'll bet my bottom dollar you'd be a tad frustrated. If not, you shouldn't run a business.

You all think that you should be able to buy cars for nothing. Whilst I don't disagree with negotiating a deal, you don't go into a supermarket and talk down a loaf of bread now do you?

My main gripe is those bastards who walk on to the lot, and look at me like I'm worthless to him and yet you still have the nerve to ask me what my best price is before we've even introduced ourselves to each other..
That said you don't spend a few years worth of wages on a loaf of bread. Any purchases of that amount can be negotiated.
drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #47
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I never talked figures. I didn't suggest any figure. If I had staff that took the initiative and got the sale then I would congratulate the person. I work with salesman that absolutely slash the hell out of a product to make a sale, all without the need to talk to their superior about it. They've been given the power and responsibility to put the best interest of who they represent first.

Quote:
Who said anything about buying a car for nothing, I just said I won't pay sticker price for it.

I do love the 'you don't go to a supermarket and talk down a loaf of bread' line. Always a classic and always an utterly pointless comparison.

If a loaf of bread cost $60,000, I just wouldn't buy it. Do I negotiate prices on other expensive items? Absolutely. Offer cash on a washing machine, fridge or TV and watch the price tumble.