Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #31
dreamerman
Want Trouble Free Ride

I am not discounting any other cars but I do have a limited budget. I am trying to keep it under $20k as I don't like financing. Very low mileage showroom demo is ok but not used car. Have owned several used cars in my life & I am the sort of guy that always ends up with a lemon. As for drum brakes, it is a matter of preference. Owned 2 cars in the past with drums (Kia/Mitsu) & unimpressed with their braking abilities so I would rather stick with discs. Kia is the worst!!

I will scout around for demos for sure.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #32
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
As for the Hyundai Getz, I found it a very overrated car. I had one for a fortnight (albeit a rental hack) and found it had to work far too hard on the freeway, and worst of all that the drivers seat was far too uncomfortable for trips longer than 15 minutes (I actually found the seats in my mates '85 Laser Ghia much more comfortable)
From what the OP has described i get the idea they are looking for a small car for inner city driving, so the highway performance isnt a huge issue.
The seat comfort i cannot vouch for but again for short cross town drives i cant see too much issue.
The egas Falcon would be a good option, but then service, rego, insurance costs would offset some of the savings.
The smaller car will also be an advantage in city traffic and if its only for 1 or 2 people for the most of the time, why need a full sized passenger car.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
For those touting the egas falcon They are absolutley horrible with any more than 40,000kms on them (ask me how I know)
How do you know?

I know they are great to almost a million kays. Ask me how I know!
In fact i'll tell you, because i looked after a fleet of 20 of them and the AU E-gassers were by far and away the best Falcon that Ford has ever produced for fleet/taxi work.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #34
dreamerman
Want Trouble Free Ride

There's a special going on & Hyundai 1.6 auto is $17,340 drive away.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:18 AM   #35
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerman
As for drum brakes, it is a matter of preference. Owned 2 cars in the past with drums (Kia/Mitsu) & unimpressed with their braking abilities so I would rather stick with discs.
you believe having drum brakes in the rear gave them worse braking?
the only braking disadvantage the rear drums give you is in your MIND! listen to what everyone is trying to tell you!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #36
dreamerman
Want Trouble Free Ride

Found an article about disc & drum brakes. I understand the basics but still prefer rear disc.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/tec...7/article.html
Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #37
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerman
Found an article about disc & drum brakes. I understand the basics but still prefer rear disc.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/tec...7/article.html
that article is good, but it doesnt mention the added unsprung weight of discs over drums, and the fact that rear discs only gave a real advantage when racing.