Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #31
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I wonder if they market it as "the accordian"
That or the Concertina
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #32
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by plext

Light trucks as a rule though are nowhere near as safe as the passenger vehicle alternate.
Only if you crash into a wall or another truck, crash into a smaller vehicle, whether it be a 5 star Renault Megane or a an old Colt you would be better off in your F350 or Fuso 3ton.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #33
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangexr6
In parts the limit is actualy 120 kph I only saw 2 speed cameras the hole trip.
Yes it is very scary on Chinese roads no road laws seem to mater. We drove up through the mountains and they will overtake on blind corners without a worry in the world.
A friend who worked in China for a while recalled there were traffic police and there were "traffic police" The latter were as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike as they were ignored. There must have been something to distinguish them from the real police. Red lights don't have quite the same meaning there - red is a lucky colour so they stop for the red less often than we would.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #34
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
That's actually the Russian car from the vid that GTP006 posted up. They look remarkably similar! Notice the different shapes for the lights etc. though
Looks exactly like a VB Commodore to me. The dash is a dead giveaway. The Russians also drive on the other side of the road, I believe.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #35
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnY9JSg-VQM

Then there are new cheap cars like hyundais elantra, that seem to perform near as well as a volvo.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #36
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Only if you crash into a wall or another truck, crash into a smaller vehicle, whether it be a 5 star Renault Megane or a an old Colt you would be better off in your F350 or Fuso 3ton.
Have a look on youtube for some of the 5th Gear tests on old large cars and new 5 star cars, it is truly impressive. They drive them into each other at a closing speed of ~80mph. The results are suprising.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #37
Steffo
LPG > You

Just to dispell a myth about that paticular Volkswagen T3 Transporter pickup crash... it is not an NCAP test, as you can see by the solid concrete wall the full height of the vehicle (NCAP walls would be half the height of that pickup). It was also a slow-mo vid, and not conducted at 64km/h (40mph), but rather, 160km/h (100mph). Hence the immense damage. Though most any car, especially from that era (1980's) would suffer a similar fate at that sort of impact speed.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #38
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I'd say the yellow car is a Commodore - Crashlab is the name of the testing facility in Australia & not likely to be Russian!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 01:24 AM   #39
Shounak

It really doesn't matter too much. Just like the Tata Nano not being too safe to drive, you have to look at their intended purpose.

Most Asian roads are taken at a crawl. It's fair enough that their standards be a little more lax than ours. It's a rarity to be able to travel at 100kmph like you do here.

Thailand's an exception to the rule, depending.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #40
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
It really doesn't matter too much.

Most Asian roads are taken at a crawl. It's fair enough that their standards be a little more lax than ours. It's a rarity to be able to travel at 100kmph like you do here.
But the crashes are at 64 kph. Those cars collapsed at that speed, and cars do drive at that speed over there.

Have you seen the road tolls in those Asian countries ?

I think they deserve safer cars, every one does. After all we ARE talking about human lives aren't we ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #41
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmmmmm yes ill take two please the money i save on these awesome deals i can afford to buy my children replacement body parts

i guess in china theres enough cars the fastest speed in prob 20kph, and all those cars score 5 star ratings*

* 5 star rating based on peak hour traffic conditions

seriously though it would not be good when these cheap imports affect the sales of locally built products and suppliers

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #42
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
But the crashes are at 64 kph. Those cars collapsed at that speed, and cars do drive at that speed over there.

I think they deserve safer cars, every one does. After all we ARE talking about human lives aren't we ?
Yes, for the first truck. Even then, 64kmh is not a speed you would travel at in the middle of Beijing.

I'm not suggesting allowing them to wrap cardboard around engines and call them cars. But they really don't need the same level of safety we do here.

Plus, markets sort safety out much better than governments. All the increases in safety such as ESP, ABS etc are all provided by the market, we don't need legilsation for it. If people value it, they'll pay for it.

Anyway, about those road tolls, of course it's huge. It's a nation of 1.2 billion people. Most of them get around on two wheels and the so called helmets worn by a few of the population could be enthusiastically described as ice cream tubs.

Percentage wise we probably have a much higher road toll than them. Remember, averages are generally more important than absolute numbers. Otherwise, China would be heaps richer than Australia, not not per capita.

I don't think introducing these POS's in the Australian market would do anything. Not that I think we should, but I think people would see them as unsafe death traps and simply not purchase them.

But as to my original point. Something like the Tata Nano does not need the safety of a Falcon because I doubt many of them in India would ever see above 100kmh. I've done a fair bit of motorcycling in Asia and going those kinds of speeds are rare. It happens, but hardly.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #43
snakeoil
Snake Oil

Might see if I can get one of those for the missus................

24 years ................................god you get less for murder!

Cheers

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #44
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxy8
Now compare it with an (old) Commodore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caOqD54oxRA
That is hardcore.glad i drive a ford.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #45
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
It really doesn't matter too much. Just like the Tata Nano not being too safe to drive, you have to look at their intended purpose.

Thailand's an exception to the rule, depending.
About time. I wonder how many people here want to dictate to the rest of the world what their standards should be.

It comes down to money, plain and simple. You think a Corolla would be a tight family car? You aint seen nothing.

Been to Asia several times. Taken a ton of pics along the way. 80% of the people in Asia will NEVR own a car, partly because of the limitations of road and parking space, but mostly due to the fact that they are just out of reach financially. There are still people who live or earn only a few dollars a day.

Scooters are a way of life throughout Asia. It's not a trendy fashion item, nor a 2nd / 3rd mode of fun transport like it is for us. Rarely is a scooter owned by 1 person, it is generally shared between a family etc. New scooters can be had for as little as $550US.

Most ride in pairs, say 50%, many ride in 3's, around 35%, it is not uncommon to see 4 on a bike, say 14%. And in the 6 weeks I was in SE Asia this year, I would have seen 5 on a bike perhaps once a day. Yes FIVE on a scooter, lets say that's the last 1%.

Forget about crash tests, airbags, ABS / ESP, 'standards', and how many stars it will get etc etc. To have a roof and seats for 4 people is the priority. If they could get it new for slightly more than a nice bike, it will save hundreds of lives a year.

All pics below are mine, bar the last one. Never could get 5 on a bike with my own camera....

3 on a bike. Usually 3 adults, but today it was dad, or mum and dad getting the kids from school:

This one.. well imagine waking up next to that stare in the morning. I don't think she was too pleased with me snapping away!

4 on a bike. See that orange ball? That is the head of a baby being carried by mum, covered in a full face fly net..

And 5....

Rare, but still seen on a daily basis.

China / India are great at making "cheap and nasty" because that's what their market wants. Love to see the Aussies or the Yanks make and sell a scooter for $500, or a new car for under $5000. But they don't because there is no market for it here, both legally and morally.

Off rant. Hope you like the pics ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #46
snakeoil
Snake Oil

great pic's............I hope they are running correct tyre pressures for 5 people!!

Ullysees Member #18,554
Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #47
dave289
Banned

I like how they put a helmet on their own head but not on their kids :
Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #48
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
great pic's............I hope they are running correct tyre pressures for 5 people!!
Something tells me tyre pressure is the least of their worries!

Quote:
I like how they put a helmet on their own head but not on their kids
Helmets is an interesting one. I think they were only made law late last year in Vietnam. My mate there told me that there was a flood of companies selling fake helmets! Ie, just a cheap plastic shell and the strapping that made em look like a helmet. And people were flooding to buy them, again, comes down to money.

In Laos, no helmet law as yet. Crossing the border is a real eye opener... you can instantly see the fact that only 5% of the riders have head protection.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #49
Bobman
Regulator

Forget the Chinese. Check out this VB Commodore crash test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weFVM...eature=related

No wonder so many kids get killed in VB-VL Commies.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #50
Shounak

I wore one of those bloody ice cream tubs, at 20kmh, it's probably better than wearing nothing. Absolutely spot on about just buying them to meet the regulations. They don't have the AASB requirement for helmets like we do here, just something plastic on your head will do.

I've seen baby helmets designed for 2 year olds. My uncle has one, it comes complete with a beak and visor. It's a very interesting look, even funnier watching my 3 year old cousin wearing it on the back.

It's very easy to be an armchair critic, but to really get it you have to go over there and feel the traffic. I've ridden/driven in rural towns (YF's pics look more rural) and it's a different ball game altogether.

It's like if the Germans made it a standard that cars have to survive a crash at 300kmph and decided all of our cars must meet those standards. Despite the fact that we never go those speeds.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #51
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Forget the Chinese. Check out this VB Commodore crash test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weFVM...eature=related

No wonder so many kids get killed in VB-VL Commies.
:
Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #52
lostdude

[QUOTE=Shounak] They don't have the AASB requirement for helmets like we do here, just something plastic on your head will do.
[QUOTE]

Isn't that an accounting standard?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #53
Shounak

[QUOTE=lostdude][QUOTE=Shounak] They don't have the AASB requirement for helmets like we do here, just something plastic on your head will do.
Quote:

Isn't that an accounting standard?
AHAHAH Lol. Brilliance.

My word it is. I thought all the Finance Law I did last year was well and truly out of my head, apparently not.

AS 1609. Australian Standards.

Deary me.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #54
lostdude

Quote:
AHAHAH Lol. Brilliance.

My word it is. I thought all the Finance Law I did last year was well and truly out of my head, apparently not.

AS 1609. Australian Standards.

Deary me.
: i have my last accounting subjects mid sem next monday, otherwise i wouldn't have noticed.

damn aasb sets all these stupid standards we have to remember :
Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #55
snakeoil
Snake Oil

AS 1609

I am hoping my accountant has one of these because I pay the a f-----g fortune to look after my best interests
Will it make the ute go any quicker????Like its a performance mod between accountants ....more info please....Cheers

Ullysees Member #18,554
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #56
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeoil
AS 1609

I am hoping my accountant has one of these because I pay the a f-----g fortune to look after my best interests
Will it make the ute go any quicker????Like its a performance mod between accountants ....more info please....Cheers
It's a standard that relates to people studying/practicing accounting.

The accounting standard AASB 1609 say you need a helmet that meets AS1609 to protect your head from all that banging against the desk.

I think the OH+S guys slipped it into the standards somehow. Anyhow, non-compliance is punishable my forced reading of tomes of literature that would give a warm glass of milk a run for its money.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #57
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Exactly!

These crash tests can be very misleading when it comes to trucks, some people see a video of an offset crash test when the truck cabin folds up and then they jump to the conclusion that you would be killed in one even if a bicycle or a loose shopping trolley ran into it. For example, look at the 1997 F-150 offset crash test. I've even seen people creating Hyperlinks to that video on other sites thinking it's the current model and winging on absolute crap about they would make a will to never ride in them thinking they would be killed if it hit a flower pot. What they don't understand that's only comparing to other trucks that size, if they saw a head-on between an F-Series and a little hatchback even if it's 5-star rated, they might think differently.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #58
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I'd say the yellow car is a Commodore - Crashlab is the name of the testing facility in Australia & not likely to be Russian!
Not to mention the NSW RTA logo over the front tyre.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #59
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8

"Those Asian countries" can refer up to 20 different countries, each with vastly different driving attitudes, conditions and kind of cars available to the general population.

If you're referring to China or India then yes the road toll is high but they have 1-1.3billion people, poor roads outside of the cities and the general "me and me only" attitude on the roads which exacerbate the numbers. In Japan and Sth Korea, the driving attitude is a lot more considerate, roads are top notch, albeit narrow, and the cars available to the majority of the population are a lot safer.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post