Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #31
jackcurrie

Default Re: Lowering your car, the right way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
King/Monroe combos are going for $650 inc shipping on eBay for E series at the moment. If you can pick them up from Western Sydney and are happy with the front end sitting higher being a V8 spring set, I still have my super lows.

How much did you want for them? Ill probably take thrm but will need two or three weeks to get some cash aside depending on.price.
jackcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #32
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Slap some air bags in it
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #33
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcurrie View Post
I have only had it a few months, it doesnt need rego until May. Which is why its sitting outside, not being driven, and why Im asking these questions to correct the issues it has before they become BIG issues. Is there any help you can give me, or more irrelevant nonsense?
I was under the impression it had to, by law, be transferred into your name within 30 days. Chances are the previous owner may have already notified the authorities of the sale.

On topic though, apart from not buying a vehicle if I'm aware it has cut springs, I'd spend a few dollars on some lowered springs for common sense sake.....it will be better all round.

You paid money for a car you don't want to drive because you feel it isn't safe
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #34
mick457
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thankyou!

So you think, the simplest practice would be to just buy a set off ebay or somehing. SSL springs with the nesscessary shocks? Assuming if they're sold together they're meant for one another, lol. And the ride should be a lot more gentle? Less bouncy? Theres no scraping or anything, just stiff suspension.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/ARCHM-Indu...=p4634.c0.m322

have a look threw that link mate he does package deals on kingspring and monroe shocks

Performace
DBA 4000s, Blue power intake, Whiteline swaybars, FG manifold, PWR Radiator, king springs low, Monroe gt sport
DJR bobtail, LSD 3.46, 20%UD
Pacemaker 4490s, Venom cat, redback catback
mick457 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #35
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only reason I went with Kng Springs as the example was because I usually look on ebay for springs, as I don know where else to get them? Can you buy them through supercheap/autobarn if they order them in? And is it possible to get the springs/shockies in one package, so they work together at the right height?

Im happy to get the better brand springs/shocks, assuming they're a similar price, I just dont know how to get my hands on them.
Sorry guys haven't read the whole thread but you can get King springs from Repco. If you are a NRMA or similar member wait until they have a 20% member discount or just use the standard 10% discount. They do shocks as well though not sure of the brand.

I got my King springs from Wholesale Suspension in Arndell Park Sydney and my Bilsteins from Heasmans in Sydenham Sydney.

Otherwise just google car suspension and look at your options and start making phone calls. As far as ride quality tell the suspension expert (not ebay or Supercheap etc) what you want and they should be able to hook you up.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #36
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
Sorry guys haven't read the whole thread but you can get King springs from Repco. If you are a NRMA or similar member wait until they have a 20% member discount or just use the standard 10% discount. They do shocks as well though not sure of the brand.

I got my King springs from Wholesale Suspension in Arndell Park Sydney and my Bilsteins from Heasmans in Sydenham Sydney.

Otherwise just google car suspension and look at your options and start making phone calls. As far as ride quality tell the suspension expert (not ebay or Supercheap etc) what you want and they should be able to hook you up.
Pretty sure Repco does Monroe shocks too
Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you look, anyone can find a shop that will fit super-duper-hyper-low springs and remove the bump stops. That's the worrying thing...

A guy at a reputable shop told me many years ago that the biggest error people make when lowering their car more than an inch or so was that they didn't also fit shorter shock absorbers. If you think about it, a shocky is designed to operate from a set starting point when it has the cars weight on it. Lower it too much and the "starting point" is way below where it "thinks" it ought to be and it simply won't operate correctly, not to mention bottoming out. The guy told me he was frustrated by the number of people who "just wanted springs, don't worry about the shocks", and lowered a car two or three inches or more, and then wondered why they ended up with an ill-handling pig.

There is also the small matter of your cars suspension...it has been carefully designed to work at specific angles and roll centers. Change all that too much by slamming it on the ground, and in effect you are saying you know far more about suspension than the company that spent hundreds of millions of bucks developing the suspension geometry.

Lower it the right way, and not to stupid extremes, and you won't have a problem. Done properly, it's not usually cheap though...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #38
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011g6e View Post
....lower it the right way, and not to stupid extremes, and you won't
have a problem. Done properly, it's not usually cheap though...
..... +1
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post