3vXT

Seen a second XT today.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #32
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ford have been selling a higher percentage of the upper class cars than they have before on previous models.
If this is the case, is this be better for their (FORD) profit margins? or are they still better off selling $1Million cars at $1 profit?

Is this another reason why FORD head honcho's are quite happy with the way the FG's are selling in the large car market?
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #33
XR8putts

Seen quite a few G-Series in the City, a fair few FGs all together infact. But Unlike Ford Aus, Ford NZ's marketing team know what they're doing...

How classy is the new Ford G Series? Classy, says JWT New Zealand. They created a sophisticated special build billboard for it - one with real chandeliers supplying the glittering light on the billboard.
http://commercial-archive.com/node/145216
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #34
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ford have been selling a higher percentage of the upper class cars than they have before on previous models.
Thats because they look absolutely stunning!!!! The front end of the G6E and G6ET are absolutely awesome!!!!! If it wasn't that I am a Ute-mad-lover, I'd have a G6ET in my driveway, and unless it had an AMG, M, or RS badge, I wouldn't consider a Merc, BMW or Audi......

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
If this is the case, is this be better for their (FORD) profit margins? or are they still better off selling $1Million cars at $1 profit?

Is this another reason why FORD head honcho's are quite happy with the way the FG's are selling in the large car market?
It might be a little better for their profit margins but when your numbers are so low your still losing lots of money.

And BTW, they are not happy with the sales numbers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #36
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Mate come to Cairns.

They are all N/A XR6s up here. one or two G series...No FPVs and all the XTs are thrifty rent cars.
And a lot of the XR N/A are Avis
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #37
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute6
Thats because they look absolutely stunning!!!! The front end of the G6E and G6ET are absolutely awesome!!!!! If it wasn't that I am a Ute-mad-lover, I'd have a G6ET in my driveway, and unless it had an AMG, M, or RS badge, I wouldn't consider a Merc, BMW or Audi......
I am about to buy an XR6T ute but would much prefer a G Series ute if they made one.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #38
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
My point was the fact that German cars will hold their value significantly better than domestic equivalents - redeeming a small portion of their buyers' 'financial stupidity'. .
Are you talking percentage or in absolute value???

Because a $150,000 BMW that is worth 70% of it's value in 3 years is losing a lot more than a $45,000 Falcon worth 50% of it's value in 3 years.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #39
irlewy86
Meep Meep

That billboard is fantastic!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #40
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The Commodore is beating the pants off the Falcon at the moment in terms of sales, so it isn't bothering people all that much in that instance.

It's perception, and Holden's competent marketing that helps form that image.

People say how average the Corolla is compared to other cars in the same class, but people flock towards the Corolla. As I said, perception.
I'd have to honestly say that right now I would much rather the VE Wagon over any of the Ford offerings simply because it looks fantastic and I actually get excited when I see it.

But in my head I know for damn sure the FG is far superior but Its just not the going thing. I can not bring myself to unload $50K on an Aussie Ford. I don't think I can do it to a Holden either. But I my pulse races at the thought of replacing the Forester XT with 6.0 V8 Wagon for the misus when our young family is born.

People are voting with their wallets, and as far as I can see, these brands are sellign less and less every month...
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #41
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pardon my ignorance, but is the G-series just a Fairmont?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #42
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Pardon my ignorance, but is the G-series just a Fairmont?
the all new fairmont with a slick look and the balls to match,not 'just' but a whole new look good choice to change the name i reckon
Old 08-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #43
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Are you talking percentage or in absolute value???

Because a $150,000 BMW that is worth 70% of it's value in 3 years is losing a lot more than a $45,000 Falcon worth 50% of it's value in 3 years.
I'm referring to peope who buy cars like the 3 Series instead of cars like the G6ET. You're not going to find anyone tossing up between a 150k Beemer and a 50k Falcon.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #44
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
the all new fairmont with a slick look and the balls to match,not 'just' but a whole new look good choice to change the name i reckon
Sort of like how the 380 wasn't a Magna and the Aurion wasn't a 6 cylinder Camry.

An extremely stupid idea in my book.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #45
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Sort of like how the 380 wasn't a Magna and the Aurion wasn't a 6 cylinder Camry.

An extremely stupid idea in my book.
Not really, considering the name had been around for 40 odd years it was time for change. The car itself is still a ''Fairmont" but look how much interest there is in it. Marketing got it right.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #46
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All up, I've seen about 4 G6Es and 2 XRs on the road. I've only seen 2 XTs. I would have expected to see more XTs on the road. Maybe they are out there, but do a good job of blending in due to their conservative styling.

You also need to look at resale value though. A G series Falcon is going to depreciate a lot faster than the German equivalent. Not that I'd buy a BMW or Merc over a G6ET. But I think depreciation would scare some people.
Ture, in terms of percentage but false in terms of $. Eg a $50k G6E will depreciate 25% in the 1st year (i.e. $12.5k loss) and a $100k merc equivalent will depreciate $15% (i.e. $15k loss).

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #47
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm referring to peope who buy cars like the 3 Series instead of cars like the G6ET. You're not going to find anyone tossing up between a 150k Beemer and a 50k Falcon.
2 different cars.....If your going to compare a 3 series, you need to compare it to a Focus..... After which the same formula applies and holds true. You will lose more $$$ on the BMW. It would depreciate as much in terms of percentage, but it will in terms of $.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #48
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
2 different cars.....If your going to compare a 3 series, you need to compare it to a Focus..... After which the same formula applies and holds true. You will lose more $$$ on the BMW. It would depreciate as much in terms of percentage, but it will in terms of $.
Indeed, however my response to Uranium Death/ Sleekism runs the assumption that the buyer is purchasing the BMW of equivalent value to the Falcon - making them "financially stupid" in UD's opinion for not buying the Falcon. As in, why buy a little 3 series when you can grab a highly specced turbo Falcon. I don't think the 5 series buyer would even consider a G Series Falcon, unless they were in the used market (which renders them void for this discussion since the depreciation has already taken place).

That's how I interpreted his post and comparing the Falcon to the BMW, dollar for dollar, the BMWs depreciate much less.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #49
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Not really, considering the name had been around for 40 odd years it was time for change. The car itself is still a ''Fairmont" but look how much interest there is in it. Marketing got it right.
Time to ditch the name Falcon and Ford by that logic.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #50
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Time to ditch the name Falcon and Ford by that logic.

Remember Datsuns, Kingswoods, Toranas, Geminis, 626s and so on.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #51
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Remember Datsuns, Kingswoods, Toranas, Geminis, 626s and so on.
Don't forget resurrected names like Monaro & Statesman.