Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #31
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Never use mine. About as much use as an ash tray on a Harley.

Rear foggers should be mandatory though. Coming down the Calder on a foggy day can bring some nasty suprises in winter time.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #32
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I thought the lights in the bottom of the bar for XR8, GT etc were actually "auxillary driving / cornering lights" to give a better side spread of light to enhance the normal headlight spread ??????

I always considered real FOG lights to be low intensity in output and only really there to assist with the low beams when driving in FOG. Their main purpose is to give a real low and wide spread

Anyways..here's some interesting info :
http://www.autoanything.com/lights/index.aspx
Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #33
TadKa
Wait? What?

I'd much prefer oncoming cars having fogs on than the euro style headlight that flickers and blinds.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #34
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

eeeh, i have my fogs on all the time...in winter its foggy every damn morning and nite, and I CBF'ed turning them off for summer...

and yeah, give a f*#k what other people think? Nup.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #35
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
The reason why is they think why bother having them on if no one can see them!

While on the subject of fog lamps...

Fog lights are of no use to 95% of Australia anyway. Driving lights that only come on with high beam would be of much more use I would have thought.
I'm not sure what 95% of Australia you are familiar with.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
I'm not sure what 95% of Australia you are familiar with.
The good 95%
Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #37
XRUTEDAVE
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I thought the lights in the bottom of the bar for XR8, GT etc were actually "auxillary driving / cornering lights" to give a better side spread of light to enhance the normal headlight spread ??????

I always considered real FOG lights to be low intensity in output and only really there to assist with the low beams when driving in FOG. Their main purpose is to give a real low and wide spread

Anyways..here's some interesting info :
http://www.autoanything.com/lights/index.aspx

Thats the way I see it too. If they were FOG lights they should turn off when you switch the high beams on. The lights fitted to the XRs don't do this.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #38
TadKa
Wait? What?

Yes I must admit I do have a deep hatred for rear fog lights.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #39
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

If my TE had foglights id have them on all the time and i have no problem with people that do so (i drive with headlights on 100% of the time anyway)
Old 09-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRUTEDAVE
Thats the way I see it too. If they were FOG lights they should turn off when you switch the high beams on. The lights fitted to the XRs don't do this.
Close. If they were fog lights they would turn off when any main headlight comes on.

Go check out a '70's Jag. They can only work if headlights are off.

And because the word Wa*ker is censored I believe they're now called LAME (Look At ME) lights
Old 09-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #41
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Close. If they were fog lights they would turn off when any main headlight comes on.

And because the word Wa*ker is censored I believe they're now called LAME (Look At ME) lights

Same with my early 90's Alfa....Fogs only worked with the Parkers on, once you put on the headlights, off they went

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #42
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

There's nothing wrong with having driving lights fitted if they are aimed correctly. They will / can enhance your driving safety in dimly lit areas without the need for High beams........

I believe that the lights fitted to our cars XR6 / XR8 / FPV cars fall into this category..........I don't think they're intended for foggy driving conditions at all.............

I don't mind people using them. What irks me is those stupid HYUANDAIS having the rear Ultra Bright RED Fog light activated on a clear night..............Now that's what you call ^&%$@!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #43
watejs06
I belong in an AU
Donating Member3

Last week , i was driving down a main road (im Perth) it was night time and i had my fog lights on ,stopped at a set of lights turning left and suddenly the unmarked cops behind me pulled me up. after searching the car trying to yellow sticker me they kindly gave me a $200 fine and 2 demerit points for driving with my fog lights on .

Current Ford: XH II XR8 UTE Manual, N9 Blue, EL GT wheels - 347ci, AFR185's, Edelbrock RPM II, LINK ECU, Factory T5.

Previously:
- T3 TE50 No: 179
- T3 TE50 No: 125
- AU XLS Trayback V8
- AU XR6 Manual
- FG 5.4L Kenne bell SC
- 05 BA 2 GTP
- AU 2 XR8 sedan
- XD 351C
- EL Fairlane By Tickford
- EL Fairmont TKO 5 speed
Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #44
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

daytime do what you like ,night time get ready for my lightforce ,no need for em otherwise fogged or low light ,not an extra driving aid to annoy others even if they arnt so bright ,from a distance it can be assessed as two vehicles not an extra judgement i need to make.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #45
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by watejs06
Last week , i was driving down a main road (in Perth) it was night time and i had my fog lights on ,stopped at a set of lights turning left and suddenly the unmarked cops behind me pulled me up. after searching the car trying to yellow sticker me they kindly gave me a $200 fine and 2 demerit points for driving with my fog lights on .
Yea well ?? IMO the more your car can be seen day or night the better..If they booked you for incorrect adjusted lights ?? Then fare enough..
I think the law enforces have this wrong...
It is well known that since bike riders put there head lights on while riding .. Car - motor bike accidents went down ..
In Canada and some countries overseas its illegal NOT to have lights on..
They are fitted with special day lights.. Look at new Commodore.. I'm sure there is a 30mm light there ?? Provision for one... That's similar to Canadian cars.. I would say the light would be 25 to 50 watt ?? Just enough to be seen.. Especially older people who don't have sharp vision, but good eye sight...
Yes there is the look at me factor with riced up cars..
But in essence we are not talking about show jocks..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #46
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

It's a national road law, and has been enforced more vigorously since July according a police friend of the family. Personally, driving lights annoy me, as modern headlights are plenty bright enough without additional blinding from driving lights.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #47
mickbundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Yea well ?? IMO the more your car can be seen day or night the better..If they booked you for incorrect adjusted lights ?? Then fare enough..
I think the law enforces have this wrong...
It is well known that since bike riders put there head lights on while riding .. Car - motor bike accidents went down ..
In Canada and some countries overseas its illegal NOT to have lights on..
They are fitted with special day lights.. Look at new Commodore.. I'm sure there is a 30mm light there ?? Provision for one... That's similar to Canadian cars.. I would say the light would be 25 to 50 watt ?? Just enough to be seen.. Especially older people who don't have sharp vision, but good eye sight...
Yes there is the look at me factor with riced up cars..
But in essence we are not talking about show jocks..

Where did your figures that car bike accidents decreased with bikes having headlights on come from certainly not from the bike riding community.
Mate put up what ever facts and bullshyte you all want the lights under your bumpers are not driving lights (they are fog lights) and only the wayne kers use them look at me look at me and so they should be fined for 1 being wayne kers and 2 using them when there is no fog
Old 10-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #48
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbundy
Where did your figures that car bike accidents decreased with bikes having headlights on come from certainly not from the bike riding community.
Mate put up what ever facts and bullshyte you all want the lights under your bumpers are not driving lights (they are fog lights) and only the wayne kers use them look at me look at me and so they should be fined for 1 being wayne kers and 2 using them when there is no fog
I NEVER said they where driving lights.. This IS the problem ****kers get them confused.. I said in some countries they have what they cal DAY lights which are a soft light with very low watts..They come on when engine is started automatically..
Btw most bike rider clubs do recomend drive with lights on....
Almost all bikes that ride up Pacific Highway to Brooklyn do and I'm up there nearly 6 times a week... These are all types of bike riders.. mainly older mature guys.. They usually stop at the Pie in the sky shop up there...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 10-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #49
mickbundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Btw most bike rider clubs do recomend drive with lights on....
Almost all bikes that ride up Pacific Highway to Brooklyn do and I'm up there nearly 6 times a week... These are all types of bike riders.. mainly older mature guys.. They usually stop at the Pie in the sky shop up there...
Only reason being that it has been law with bikes to have the lights on after about 2002 and it is illegal to wire them up differently so that they are off. And yep I ain't mature but certainly older
Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #50
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbundy
Only reason being that it has been law with bikes to have the lights on after about 2002 and it is illegal to wire them up differently so that they are off. And yep I ain't mature but certainly older
Exactly..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #51
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Last week , i was driving down a main road (im Perth) it was night time and i had my fog lights on ,stopped at a set of lights turning left and suddenly the unmarked cops behind me pulled me up. after searching the car trying to yellow sticker me they kindly gave me a $200 fine and 2 demerit points for driving with my fog lights on .

Pretty sure it should only be $100 and 1 demerit point.

Just checked, It is 1 point and $100 fine for WA.

I'd be having a closer look at your infringement if I were you.

Last edited by DoreSlamR; 10-08-2008 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:54 AM   #52
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have fog lights ... and I use them when needed.
I use low beam 100% of the time ... has saved me a few times in traffic ... people only take the odd glance before a quick lane change ... having lights on just makes me a little more visible.

If the mist/fog is bad enough ... I drop back to parkers and use fog lights. If I find low beam is not reflecting back that badly I will just use low beam and no fog lights.

Also replaced my fog light globes in my Territory as well to an Ion Crystal (yellow) globe as they are less reflective during fog and seem to cut through the fog better. I use similar globes in my work ute (although i have aftermarket fog lights I had installed).

It's pretty simple ... but the majority of people just don't understand the usage of them and abuse them. It's not hard.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:38 AM   #53
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
:hihi:
Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #54
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
eeeh, i have my fogs on all the time...in winter its foggy every damn morning and nite, and I CBF'ed turning them off for summer...

and yeah, give a f*#k what other people think? Nup.
Keep them on! I want to know EXACTLY where you are on the road. If you can add a warning sign and flashing yellow lights too, that would be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #55
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many "FOG" light threads do we need? :

I know I don't need to read it but i'm compelled to read all the threads. :
Old 10-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #56
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

REAR fogs are the only mandatory 'fog light' in any one place on earth. Front fogs are, and will always remain 'optional' in all markets.

They should be mandatory for all new market vehicles in AUS, but to do so will mean a change to ADR13, Part 8.5.1, which allows 'optional' fitment.

We can then issue laws allowing police to drag offenders fropm their cars for summary roadside execution, for having them on in clear, or near clear conditions:-))
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 10-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #57
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Get a life. Why are so many paranoid on whether the fog light are on or off. In daylight, no-one worries if you have your headlights on, but drive with the 'fog lights' on and some are calling for the return of public hanging. Can't work it all out.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #58
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Another fog light thread that will not end of it's own accord.
Closed Thread