Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2006, 11:29 PM   #31
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thanks guys for your replys.

The fact of the matter is. This next buy will be the last one for quite a while. So its gotta last me a long time, say over 5 years and closer to 10.

Will the turbo's last that long? Will the motors last that long?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #32
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
wifey wont let me have another v8 dammit!

but I have somehow persuaded her to let me get a turbo!!!
You neglected to mention that the Turbo is quicker than the V8? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #33
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBa
Trade in your misses
cheeky bugga

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 22-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #34
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6T anyday. The Ghia is too slow even in V8 form - plus the turbo is way sexier. I would have got an XR myself except they were too epxensive at the time.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 02:17 AM   #35
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
Forester XT. 0-100 in 6.0s Oh, and you can take it for some dirt road hooliganism too, which you wouldn't do in any Ghia or XR6T!
Standard Forester XT 0-100 6 seconds Standard WRX do 7+ seconds, STi <6 seconds...

Dirt roads, standard suspension etc. perfect for dirt roading done 180/skids/dowies in my car on dirt roads. Dont want no 4x4 to have fun on dirt.
Old 22-12-2006, 02:41 AM   #36
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ghia I 6 = 180 kw around 12-14 l/100km city cycle
XR6T = 240 kw between 12 and 16 l/100km city cycle (depending on right foot)
Ghia 3V V8 = 220kw and betwen 12 and 16l/100km city cycle.

Perhaps you should show these figures to "the boss" before you make a decision - the v8 is only thirsty if you fang it all the time, and given the extra weight of a Ghia, I reckon the V8 may actually be better on fuel than the I6 version (or at least very similar).

Open road, each of these cars will get between 9 and 11 l/100km.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #37
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'm with casper, v8 ghia! there are some going on carsales for around $20k!!! Whack on an exhaust and get an edit, and you're around $23k for a pretty quick, nice sounding, luxurious barge on wheels. If i had the choice between a v8 ghia and an xr6t, i honestly don't know 100% which way i'd go, but i'm pretty sure i'd lean toward the ghia.. I've had 2 xr's and 3 ghia's, and i have to say i'm more fond of the complete package the ghia always offers.

good luck!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 04:58 AM   #38
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

i had the choice of 3v ghia or xr6t, couldn't find a ghia in the colours i wanted so i got the xr6t. It's a bucket load of fun but the missus reminds me of the luxury features of the ghia and i wouldn't have minded the v8 note. I don't really regret the decision either the T is a fantastic car i previously had a NA xr6 ute and it was just gutless in comparison no power under 3000rpm, so you'd be in the same situation as the subie
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 06:33 AM   #39
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT
Standard Forester XT 0-100 6 seconds Standard WRX do 7+ seconds.
I agree. Without a brutal launch a 5spd man WRX would see the low 7s.
Old 22-12-2006, 10:09 AM   #40
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

With V8 out of the equation i would take the Turbo for sure.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #41
Cooper69S

over 18 months ago i had the same decision to make, and went with the i6 ghia - it certainly wasn't underpowered - the performance felt quite good but it was nowhere near what a turbo would have been. if i had to choose again, it would be either ghia v8 (the ghia's really are beautiful cars to drive and a v8 would top it off nicely esp since the fuel economy isn't much different) or a turbo with premium sound and leather trim (can't put a std turbo in the same category as the ghia for interior comfort), but i think the v8 would win because its v8 and i'm addicted
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The mere fact that you are asking the question should be a big enough hint.

Ghia is an extremely comfortable reliable luxury motor car that will serve you for years as stylish transport.
The 6T is more agricutural. Yes it has a lot more power but it misses out on all the nice bits like climate control, color ICC, super comfortable seats etc etc. (most 6Ts are povvo pak). Dual zone climate control is a godsend. Is this at all familiar "I'm hot turn it up, I'm cold turn it down, I'm hot, I'm cold...."

Most on here are tappet heads and it is all about mods and going fast but if your missus is going to drive it with kids on board you might find that she will not like it and you will soon be trading on a slug.

Why no V8? Women are subtle, they like to hint rather than say outright. No V8 because they use more fuel? 6T is just as bad. No V8 because they are too powerful and intimidate her? 6T is worse.

Has she driven a 6T or are you "tricking" her with "oh the turbo is just a bit more powerful than the I6".

Remember one of the most important parts of your body is you left ear and if you don't want it worn out with whinging while you are driving then make sure she is happy too.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #43
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT
Standard Forester XT 0-100 6 seconds Standard WRX do 7+ seconds, STi <6 seconds...
WTF? Standard WRX do low 6 secs to 100, STI <6, Forester 6.0secs. Pick up any auto mag, or go to any auto website and see for yourself.

Personally I agree with Sparkles, would love to get a new Forester XT with the leather interior :eclipsee_
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #44
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
3v Ghia.. you win both ways.
Totally agree... If it's power down low you seek? Then look no further. These things can be made to party. And would be the ultimate sleeper. :
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #45
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
WTF? Standard WRX do low 6 secs to 100, STI <6, Forester 6.0secs. Pick up any auto mag, or go to any auto website and see for yourself.

Personally I agree with Sparkles, would love to get a new Forester XT with the leather interior :eclipsee_
I concur with those times.

Though personally I love the new Fairmont Ghia with the black leather interior.
Old 22-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #46
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Great responses guys I really appreciate your open, constructive and honest openinions on this. Its a hard one when your not just buying for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The mere fact that you are asking the question should be a big enough hint.

Ghia is an extremely comfortable reliable luxury motor car that will serve you for years as stylish transport.
The 6T is more agricutural. Yes it has a lot more power but it misses out on all the nice bits like climate control, color ICC, super comfortable seats etc etc. (most 6Ts are povvo pak). Dual zone climate control is a godsend. Is this at all familiar "I'm hot turn it up, I'm cold turn it down, I'm hot, I'm cold...."

Most on here are tappet heads and it is all about mods and going fast but if your missus is going to drive it with kids on board you might find that she will not like it and you will soon be trading on a slug.

Why no V8? Women are subtle, they like to hint rather than say outright. No V8 because they use more fuel? 6T is just as bad. No V8 because they are too powerful and intimidate her? 6T is worse.

Has she driven a 6T or are you "tricking" her with "oh the turbo is just a bit more powerful than the I6".

Remember one of the most important parts of your body is you left ear and if you don't want it worn out with whinging while you are driving then make sure she is happy too.
Mate, you must know how it all works just like me. :alien2:
The V8 has been a thing close to my heart for a long time. Have owned 3 before, just not the new ones. But going on past experiences she beleives the V8's are thirstier, and rego is more and insurance is more.

the turbo I dont think will be much different, except I have never owned one and basically she is only afraid of one because my mate in his 200 has driven her and drives like a toss which she thinks I will do.

The idea of getting the turbo is 1) I havent owned one before and would like to. 2) I love the feeling boost has. 3) the potential for these cars are endless.

But given that I dont want to mod it, it could be a bit of a pointless excercise. Still, having that kind of power when you need it comes in handy in everyday traffic situations. I know, with the subby I have had some hairy moments in traffic and expected to pull out of it quickly and forgetting I wasnt in my old xr8 so as you can expect, its a adrenaline rush you dont want to have in those circumstances.

"Most on here are tappet heads and it is all about mods and going fast but if your missus is going to drive it with kids on board you might find that she will not like it and you will soon be trading on a slug."

i agree with your comments here. Even though I dont have kids, the last thing I want is for her to feel unsafe or scared of driving the thing and then whinging to me about it. She doesnt complain too much she is quite good in that department, but I dont think I would want it to get any worse.

The Forester comments are welcome, and I have been down that path with the mrs, but she hates the look of the forresters. Plus I have been wanting to get back into a newer ford for a while.

Its a real hard choice to make. Im gonna have to weigh up all the serious comments here over the new year and make a choice afterwards.

Please keep the encouraging feedback coming

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 22-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #47
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like you have a lot of thinking to do over the xmas period shav.
are you planning to buy in early jan? if so, you might be able to pick up a bargain early '05 plated xr6t or ghia.
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #48
myxr6
Banned

Just buy a Force 6 and get it all.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #49
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focussed
sounds like you have a lot of thinking to do over the xmas period shav.
are you planning to buy in early jan? if so, you might be able to pick up a bargain early '05 plated xr6t or ghia.
Actually looking at feb-march Darryl to buy. I wanna get the subby ready for sale first before the transistion.

The later the model the better by the sounds of it.

I think Im gonna have to rock up to a car yard and test drive a ghia first to feel and see what Im dealing with.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 22-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #50
FANTASY
At Sea. Missing the Ts

If I were you, I would go the Ghia, 6 or 8? I would go the 8.
Why - I think I could confidently walk up to a caryard choose the Ghia and know (well 95% certain) that it hasnt had the guts flogged out of it. However if it was a second hand T, I would have to ask myself the question, has it been modded and/or flogged, returned to its original state and sold
FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #51
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANTASY
Why - I think I could confidently walk up to a caryard choose the Ghia and know (well 95% certain) that it hasnt had the guts flogged out of it. However if it was a second hand T, I would have to ask myself the question, has it been modded and/or flogged, returned to its original state and sold
Very good point
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #52
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANTASY
Yes that is a good point. Last thing I would want is a car that supposedly has low k's but been a flogger since factory. Then again, who can guarantee that with any car. But yes, the chance of that with the ghia would be minimal. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 22-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #53
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin

Admission: Wheels december 2006

WRX sedan manual 6.4
WRX STi 5.8
Forester XT manual 6
Forest XT auto 7.6

XR6T auto 6.2
Fairmont Ghia auto 6.8

Now consider he is probably looking for an auto because a Ghia is an option...
Old 22-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #54
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

xr6T and then some, leather sunroof climate premo sound!!!! who needs a ghia?

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #55
blueoval
Critical Thinker

At this stage I have counted the following (yeah I know i should have done a poll but too late now)

All for the XR6 Turbo = 12

All for the Ghia = 13

All unsure but would be happy with either = 2.

unless my assumptions are wrong, it looks pretty close. There have been some good fore's and againsts here. And some very good points and arguements to consider before the choice is made. I really must state that while my situation doesnt suit most here, I need to consider it first and foremost.

Keep up the positive responses

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 22-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #56
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Get a Turbo with the luxury pack, the Ghia is gay, looks just like an XT with chrome.. and the Turbos are just as affordable now.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #57
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Get a Turbo with the luxury pack, the Ghia is gay, looks just like an XT with chrome.. and the Turbos are just as affordable now.
Thanks for your honest comment mate.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 22-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #58
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I would lean towards the Ghia.

I've had my day with fast cars, now I find I am too frustrated to drive them. Get a Ghia, sit back relax. Turn up the colour ICC premium audio, dual zone climate, driver seat automatically adjusts to memory, nice leather interior.

You will flog it less and look after it more.

Take your misses in a drive in both. She may let you get the V8 Ghia.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #59
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30487256
I agree. Without a brutal launch a 5spd man WRX would see the low 7s.
A WRX will see the mid 6s provided that you get the launch right. This is difficult to do and may damage the car in the long run. If you get the forester with the auto it will be much slower
Old 22-12-2006, 05:53 PM   #60
Dimi_Ghia
Yeah it's a V8 mate.

Don't forget to do your homework in regards to how much it will cost to get these cars insured instead of finding out after you have bought one. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the turbo would be quite expensive to insure depending on how old you are and where you live.
Just to give you an idea, my car for full cover is about $900 a year.

2016 LZ FOCUS TREND SEDAN IN CANDY RED
Dimi_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post