Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #31
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

I would take the holden.
Little $$$ you need to spend to get it moving compared to the ford.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Are you kidding??

The LS1 has more after market support than probably any motor in AUstralia at the moment.

There are so many different blower kits for them, PWR, Yella Terra, Vortech, harrop, Procharger, etc.

Then there are the turbo and twin turbo kits for them....

Na there are more head options, Camming them up with a tune will see them into the 12's as well.

So many places can tune them too, a Mafless tune is a very good bang for buck mod, will turn an SS into a R8 with a tune.

If you havent already, sign up to www.ls1.com.au and have a look around.
I think he was talking about putting it on gas. I've heard a couple of horror stories of them on LPG. But I would talk to the LPG experts on this site about that, or even try LS1 and hope not get bagged out that much.
Old 30-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #33
Sprint347
Tickford

It's a bargain, buy it - I would
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #34
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I think he was talking about putting it on gas. I've heard a couple of horror stories of them on LPG. But I would talk to the LPG experts on this site about that, or even try LS1 and hope not get bagged out that much.

Oh well thats a different kettle of fish then.

I have only seen one LPG set up over here in the West and they run injected LPG. Their test mule runs a low 13 on the strip, but it is a fairly expensive set up.

All honesty i couldnt understand why people would get an 8 and convert it to gas a a six would be similarly efficient, but each to their own.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #35
Carby

I would go the SS. It has low K's and if you are not happy with it after a while and still hanker for the Ford you will probably do well as a trade on a GT given the low price you paid for the SS.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #36
fordAU

18 grand for a VY SS is all its worth, Dealers are asking that or not much more for them anyway.
If you know the history of the vehicle and the engine holds up it sounds an ok buy.

The VY's are not too bad, much prefer a Ford V8 though in comparison to that cheap LS1.

If you are a Ford man though as you state you could regret it.
The way prices are going you could pick up a B series XR8 for that, a much nicer package imo but you wont know the history of the vehicle which makes the SS attractive for you.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #37
tweeked
N/A all the way

Can you picture yourself sitting on a swing chair on the porch with your great grandchildren asking you to tell them the story about the SS Commodore you used to drive? NO

Same situation but about the GT? YES

A few thousand bucks to be able to say I drove a GT, Priceless!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #38
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Well, if you’re still wanting to stay with Ford. Check out what it’s worth on the market and sell it off again for a little more... if it’s economically viable. VY SS isn’t a bad car by any stretch of the imagination! Its problems are on par with most V8's of the same age.

If it was me, I'd be buying a Typhoon for 28k - 32k. But I’m not fussed on a V8 either.

Good dilemma to have. Good Luck.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #39
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Mate go with your heart, I was in a similar, yet different position last year when I bought my XR6, I really wanted an XR8, but I got a mean deal on the XR6 so I went with that, it's been a great car but I still wish I had of gone the XR8 for the extra money.

Quote:
All honesty i couldnt understand why people would get an 8 and convert it to gas a a six would be similarly efficient, but each to their own.
Why can't you understand that? I's simple, cheap fuel costs, and a V8, best of both worlds.
Old 30-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #40
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

well, after buying the SS you could always sell the SS for what you bought it for plus more if you want to upgrade to a GT or XR8.
And use the cash left over to mod it if you buy the SS.
Throw up some pics if you have some
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #41
Joey_Falcon
Powered By Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yeah I was talking about gas, I too have herd 1 or 2 horror stories.

I dont know terribly too much about the Ls1 motors so i will have to learn them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
well, after buying the SS you could always sell the SS for what you bought it for plus more if you want to upgrade to a GT or XR8.
And use the cash left over to mod it if you buy the SS.
Throw up some pics if you have some

I am thinking of swinging the ss way, as mentioned above if the 2nd hand market stays stable I should still be able to get $18k in a 12 months or so, then I can really buy the car of my desire, by then maybe a 2nd hand FG xr/gt?
I'll try and chase up some pics- the car is just a black run off the mill SS with factory spoiler and 18in rims, imac. duco, and red leather seats. One downside is its an auto.

For me with cars when I upgrade I always have to go newer, This time im going from BA03 to SS03 but engine size is upgrading.
Thing is though the BA BF Xr shape, in my mind, is the best contemporary shape falcon (IMO better than FG) and will be a classic - it has a more agressive look than any of the VX - VE sports models.
Joey_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Well I considered buying an old Valiant with an 8 as a project car, and putting it on gas. All it was going to be was a cruiser and not a performance car, so the gas would just make it cheaper to run especially with the rebate.
Old 30-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #43
zak88
FG GT

always buy something that you love and not something that is cheap otherwise u will regret your purchase.
zak88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #44
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip_Chaser
I am thinking of swinging the ss way, as mentioned above if the 2nd hand market stays stable I should still be able to get $18k in a 12 months or so, then I can really buy the car of my desire, by then maybe a 2nd hand FG xr/gt?
I'll try and chase up some pics- the car is just a black run off the mill SS with factory spoiler and 18in rims, imac. duco, and red leather seats. One downside is its an auto.
Don't plan on being able to sell it for 18k in 12 months. I have a 2002 VY SS red leather with (at the time) 100,000km. Tried for 12 months to sell it starting at 25k, dropping to 20k. The few bites always offered 5k or more under the asking price. 12 months back I thought f%^# it, I'll keep it.

got 123,000km on it now and am planning on giving it to my son when he gets through Kapooka.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #45
Director

Ive been trying to sell my TS50 now for 3 months, definately a buyers market at the moment, make a few below par offers on some XR8's on the net, you might jag one for a lot less than advertised

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #46
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah simmilar 03 SS's on carpoint and the like are going for around the $25- $27k mark.
If you can buy it, then when comes time for a GT/XR8 sell the SS and make a little cash.
Old 30-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #47
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

For me with cars when I upgrade I always have to go newer, This time im going from BA03 to SS03 but engine size is upgrading.
Thing is though the BA BF Xr shape, in my mind, is the best contemporary shape falcon (IMO better than FG) and will be a classic - it has a more agressive look than any of the VX - VE sports models.

With the second hand market - the way it was large cars dont bank on 18k in 12 twelve months time. If you would prefer manual V8 and only going to keep it for 12 months id say wait for what you really want. If you dont care if auto/manual and are going to keep it for a couple year plus I say go for it. Forking out stamp duty etc to flog it off inside 12 months and then paying stamp duty again on you next ride doesnt seem worth it $$$ wise. Are you going to sell your 03 BA privatley or hang on to it?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #48
GTP290

BUY WHAT YOU WANT, NOT WHATS CHEAP, because youll still want the GT and you will regret it because every time you see one on the road whilst youre in your Commy, youll get even more confused and frustrated as why your a Ford fan and are driving a Holden.
Another bit of advice is to wait till you find a colour and option package that you REALLY like, because once again youll kick yourself if you buy a GT that your half hearted about, then a month later you see one for sale that you really wanted from the start, but you cant have anymore, youll be really fuming!
Old 30-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Deffinatley not flogged, no more than any other V8 anyway. Im pretty sure it was making a gudgeon pin tap/knock. Appaerntly Holden replaced a few of them, going from what the service manager said.
Put it this way they didn't hesitate too much when writing it off for a replacement.

Your right when you say it's best to judge each vehicle on its relative merits.

I did that with my BA Futura from the Auctions $16k for a 1.5year old car with 22kkm and 2.5years warranty.
Was it a new engine or a rebuild, because i'm pretty sure they got rebored and new pistons fitted. You don't want an engine thats only done 70k to have half of its life already bored away, even if its only done 30k the top end and everything else bar the rotating assembly has still done 70k.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #50
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:

What sould I do go with my heart or head?

Heart says Ford; wait to the end of this year and drive something I known Im going to love, (interior/exterior styling, the bulge ....ooooh the bulge : ).

Head says Holden; economicaly it is a really good price for a quality car.
I havent read any of the other replies as I can imagine the crap that most of them are, but for me its quite simple - buy the one that you would be happiest with. Stuff the money - if you walk out the door ready to hop into the car and think 'why did I buy this' regardless of whether its cheaper you will hate it. To me its worth the extra money to have something you're really happy and content with.
Old 30-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #51
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I havent read any of the other replies as I can imagine the crap that most of them are, but for me its quite simple - buy the one that you would be happiest with. Stuff the money - if you walk out the door ready to hop into the car and think 'why did I buy this' regardless of whether its cheaper you will hate it. To me its worth the extra money to have something you're really happy and content with.

second that . If you have to ask the question on a forum to justify it . I say its the wrong desicion . The heart wants what the heart wants .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #52
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
second that . If you have to ask the question on a forum to justify it . I say its the wrong desicion . The heart wants what the heart wants .
Third that.
In my own experience, I have a AU1, I got it for a really good price for the amount of k's but the money i have put into it, like getting it on the road because it didn't come with a RWC or Rego it wasn't really worth it.
I also regret getting 17'' wheels instead of 18'' wheels, i worked out if i paid $100 more i could of got something a lot better.
Like its up to you, test drive both cars, look at both of their potential and then decide.
There are BA XR8's going really cheap on carsales, like at the lowest i saw was $18,500, just take a hunt around before you impuse buy. Like we only live once, we all should spoil our selfs once in a while
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #53
Joey_Falcon