Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #31
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they are really nasty (such as those ones that are like a big cube of metal) I try to go around them as much as possible.

There's a few that I don't have to slow down at all and keep doing 60km/h, or even more if I wanted to.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #32
timace

I used to hate the small steep ones in the local shopping centre in my stock TX5 as something around the front left tyre was scraping, but now that I've got the Fairmont, I've got no problem. I go over speed humps straight on, at a sensible speed. Never actually paid attention to what that speed is.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #33
scottmeister
see my vest!

Depends on the 4wd and the speedbumps. I know with my lifted leaf sprung cruiser with no weight in it its painful going over speed bumps more than 30kmh, whereas in the stock height XR6 I can take them at 45 no worries. Although I've been in lifted coil sprung comp 4wds that have no worries with 80+ :

What does annoy me is when, like in my area, there are multiple parallel speed bumps so the local buses can go over them no worries, and even most cars can without even the slightest bump if you line it up at speed; yet morons line up each wheel on a bump and take them at walking pace :
scottmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #34
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmeister
Depends on the 4wd and the speedbumps. I know with my lifted leaf sprung cruiser with no weight in it its painful going over speed bumps more than 30kmh, whereas in the stock height XR6 I can take them at 45 no worries. Although I've been in lifted coil sprung comp 4wds that have no worries with 80+ :

What does annoy me is when, like in my area, there are multiple parallel speed bumps so the local buses can go over them no worries, and even most cars can without even the slightest bump if you line it up at speed; yet morons line up each wheel on a bump and take them at walking pace :
I know of the ones you speak of, to be honest I think they are more of distraction than if there were no speed humps at all. Some people worry too much about how aligned they are, and not whats around them.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #35
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Thanks for the responses, everyone. So it is concluded that most do it for comfort, or to avoid scraping / damaging something or there is an issue with their suspension (either stuffed or of a type that makes it a concern at speed).

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #36
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL
No, I don't either BUT they ARE designed to go over rocks/rivers/dirt mounds etc so why slow to an almost complete stop for a speed hump!! If you're meant to slow for bumps, what's the bloody point of a 4WD?!! :
i guess in that case you've never been in a leaf sprung 4wd ute over speedbumps. i have an older patrol and have to go slowly or my head hits the ceiling, especially with 31" tyres, 35" you would hardly notice it at all...
just to add to that, they make be designed to go over all terrain, but there's not much that's the same as a concrete mound in the middle of a sealed road...
as for the au, normally over the middle slowly as the suspension doesn't sound too good anymore, but if there's room off to one side sometimes
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #37
Debzilla_108
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depends how nasty they look...my mudflaps scrap on just about everything..i thort they would just wear away enough for them not to scrap anymore...but it doesnt seem to be working that way...

if anyone knows chermside shops in Brisbane...they have the big metal ones...my car doesnt like them...not only do my mudflaps scrap...but something in the middle under my car scraps to..

"When there's nowhere left to turn...........turn right!"
Debzilla_108 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #38
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debzilla_108
if anyone knows chermside shops in Brisbane...they have the big metal ones...my car doesnt like them...not only do my mudflaps scrap...but something in the middle under my car scraps to..
That's probably the middle muffler, mine looks pretty sad - its copped heaps of hits.

Although I also hit the tranny protector plate a lot... have sheared off the front bolts for it many a time. No idea why ford didn't bloody recess the things... :
Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #39
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

I try to just drive around them completely. Wheels scrap in guards, mufflers hit, etc, although around here (Riverina, NSW) you either have the big pedestrian style ones that you can hit at speed or little sharp ones (thinking of Maccas at Griffith...) that you should just avoid.
2003 FPV Pursuit #144
| Silhouette | 5 Speed Manual | Pacemaker Twin 2.5" System | Pacemaker 2.5" 200 cell cats | Pacemaker 1 3/4" headers | Yella Terra airbox | Herrod Oil Breathers | MGW Short Shifter | 19" Bonspeed Clutch billet wheels | Spoiler Deleted |
st33l3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #40
ayeyew
Teh Baest

One time i did go straight over a speedbump (at liverpool shops) and it put a hole in my rear muffler :(

Although it did sound pretty good with the hole in it, i still needed to replace my exahust system

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #41
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The funniest and stupidest thing I see is when people choose to take a speed hump at an angle and all 4 wheels just hop over independently and the car still scrapes!?! Idiots?! The whole point is to get opposite end wheels over at the same time to maximise clearance!!?? I just laugh at them. Doing it for an apparent "cool" factor.

my car turned into a seesaw over a speed hump. Had to get everyone out (I can clear it normally, but with 4 passengers, it didnt make it!!) and then go over it.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #42
Dezza
Parts bin special

I just crawl over them slowly, not because of the height of my car, but because my diff slams into the exhaust if I carry any speed over them

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #43
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depending on the car I'm driving, I usually go on a angle. The Cortina, and VL both scrape so I usually angle them.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post