Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #31
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: Monaro better than GT40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blem
Mate
unsure where you are coming from.
You have stated in previous posts that at the track you drive your FGF6 in AUTO mode albeit performance .
I taken my car out to numerous track days at Mallala (SA) & apart from the first day it's been full manual everytime. There are some points/gear changes the ZF can't cope with.
You have said before it happens to quickly for manual mode so.....
I can dig it up if you've forgotten.
I remember, and the BF learned the track quite quickly in auto performance mode. Changed down hard enough for the tight bends to chirp the rears down through the gears etc. all by itself. I am always frustrated at the delay to the shifter from the box, and by later in the day with the box getting its act together I found leaving it to its own devices it did a sterling job and left me to concentrate on tip in points, using every mm of the track etc and braking markers. I was generally fastest at these sort of days thus was not hanging about etc. Although what effect this has on my opinions of these cars is rather moot I would think. Especially as I have also referred to all iterations of Falcon as big fat taxis, but they are the big fat taxis I choose to buy :-)

And I was generally fastest, I think because of the fact I am accustomed to speed more than most car drivers due to lots of time often on all manner of sportsbikes and a fair bit of track time on same, last week for example I would have gone over 250km/h 50 times or more, so car pace on the track with the acceleration etc. does feel a little slow motion thus I am pretty calm and comfortable with the speed more than most. The first FPV drive day I did the instructor said as much, bike riders always go the quickest at these days.

If you ever get to drive a 911 you will have your parameters of what you thought possible redefined. A murderous run up somewhere like Hotham that would have the FPV Brembos on fire, the sides of the tyres worn off and the whole car a smoking wreck, you can do faster in a 911 with one hand on the tiller, get to the top and there be nary a haze from the car, the tyres have perfectly square shoulders etc. And get better fuel economy doing it. There are not enough superlatives to do a Porsche justice. The GT3 was the most awesome sounding visceral driving experience I have ever had. Almost any review will echo my sentiments. And they are practical and comfortable enough to live with day to day and like I mentioned, even return good fuel economy. It's just about motoring perfection.

The modern day GT40 is like an old car in comparison. It is rough, crude, completely impractical, sucks huge amount of fuel, can't deal with anything less than perfect road surfaces and has no driver electronic aids. It breaks into wheelspin over any road imperfection in 3rd and 4th gear. Hugely exciting and gorgeous to look at, but as a piece of big picture engineering compared to something like a 911. Well, there is no comparison.
Old 26-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #32
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Monaro better than GT40

Just a few things
The Monaro came out in 1968 in July not 1967
and the base Monaro was not even Kingswood it was Belmont specs
and the GTS 327 came in Premier spec
just as the GT Falcon came in Fairmont spec
I know this as I worked at Bill Patersons in Ringwood at the time
Thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #33
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
But wasnt JC's always breaking down ? - looked good, but trouble in high heels.
Nope, I think you'll find that it was his alarm system which had live monitoring - an after market addition to his car.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #34
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I remember, and the BF learned the track quite quickly in auto performance mode. Changed down hard enough for the tight bends to chirp the rears down through the gears etc. all by itself. I am always frustrated at the delay to the shifter from the box, and by later in the day with the box getting its act together I found leaving it to its own devices it did a sterling job and left me to concentrate on tip in points, using every mm of the track etc and braking markers. I was generally fastest at these sort of days thus was not hanging about etc. Although what effect this has on my opinions of these cars is rather moot I would think. Especially as I have also referred to all iterations of Falcon as big fat taxis, but they are the big fat taxis I choose to buy :-)

And I was generally fastest, I think because of the fact I am accustomed to speed more than most car drivers due to lots of time often on all manner of sportsbikes and a fair bit of track time on same, last week for example I would have gone over 250km/h 50 times or more, so car pace on the track with the acceleration etc. does feel a little slow motion thus I am pretty calm and comfortable with the speed more than most. The first FPV drive day I did the instructor said as much, bike riders always go the quickest at these days.

If you ever get to drive a 911 you will have your parameters of what you thought possible redefined. A murderous run up somewhere like Hotham that would have the FPV Brembos on fire, the sides of the tyres worn off and the whole car a smoking wreck, you can do faster in a 911 with one hand on the tiller, get to the top and there be nary a haze from the car, the tyres have perfectly square shoulders etc. And get better fuel economy doing it. There are not enough superlatives to do a Porsche justice. The GT3 was the most awesome sounding visceral driving experience I have ever had. Almost any review will echo my sentiments. And they are practical and comfortable enough to live with day to day and like I mentioned, even return good fuel economy. It's just about motoring perfection.

The modern day GT40 is like an old car in comparison. It is rough, crude, completely impractical, sucks huge amount of fuel, can't deal with anything less than perfect road surfaces and has no driver electronic aids. It breaks into wheelspin over any road imperfection in 3rd and 4th gear. Hugely exciting and gorgeous to look at, but as a piece of big picture engineering compared to something like a 911. Well, there is no comparison.
Good post, but the porsche is a supercar and the GT a budget hypercar. It's not meant to be practical a serious track day contender like the porsche, it's meant to take be an inspiration. I am however surprised it doesn't handle, the suspension and chassis were designed by Lotus.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #35
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Oh the GT does handle, just don't show it a public Australian road and all is fine :-) Would be awesome track day car, but at the same time would require immense skill to drive quickly and do the car justice.
Old 26-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #36
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new Monaro vs the old Monaro - considering what they compared the new one against, it is no surprise the new one rated so highly.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #37
irlewy86
Meep Meep

The original GT40 had a design brief, beat Ferrari.

The new GT was better than the 360 in almost all area's.

10/10.
Old 26-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #38
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I'd say that making a remake of the GT40 would be a lot more complicated in terms of trying to live up to the expectations and history then it would to do the same for the Monaro.

The Monaro might have been in production longer, but can you honestly say it had anywhere near the same influence/impact on the world stage?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #39
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The original monaro was retired from track duties due to the fact it could not compete. The new one is much the same. 9/10 for me.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #40
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Oh the GT does handle, just don't show it a public Australian road and all is fine :-) Would be awesome track day car, but at the same time would require immense skill to drive quickly and do the car justice.
Completely understand now thanks. Australian roads are so good that I think if Ford tested the new F250 here they'd complain that the surfaces of the roads was too much for a 4WD.

Quote: