Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #31
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Typical Toyota, it looks like ****, that engine sounds like a weapon though.
I like the car completely the look the sound and the performance, handling is yet to be proven but the thing is cool and if you say it looks like **** I vote for Kylie Minogues - its a damn pretty car.

Toyota as many have said made some awesome cars before they threw in the towel to be #1, some of the celicas were cool not to mention the AE86 rally weapons and the already mentioned supra, is that not racing pedigree? there are some kickass toyotas, I mean even the hilux has a cult following and is quite highly sought after and respected. More recent vehicles have been thoroughly beaten with the bland stick tho, lets hope this signals a new direction from toyota.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 25-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #32
SVD

so its only $400keh... its 300,000pounds so i think 400k is a bit short.... its going to be tipping just short of $500,000usd so that, im getting a ferrari, i dont car what you say lexus' dont pull chicks like a half mill ferrari.
Old 25-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #33
kircher

300 000 pounds? that's rolls royce phantom and zonda territory. Not to mention it's more than a 599GTB. I know what I'd prefer.
Old 25-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kircher
300 000 pounds? that's rolls royce phantom and zonda territory. Not to mention it's more than a 599GTB. I know what I'd prefer.
Phantom is a hell of a lot more expensive here, check them out on carsales.
Old 25-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #35
kircher

^^ I quoted pounds, in reply to SVD's post. I believe the phantom is 290 000 pounds or so in the UK. multiply that by 2.2 and tack on the $100 000+ that Australians pay on mark-up of luxury cars and you're close to a mill.

edit: a pound now buys $1.75AU.
Old 26-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #36
XRated
Shoot.

They'll be about $550k once they land here (taking into account luxury car tax for one). I.e. way too much!!

20V Turbo

Old 02-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #37
SVD

Quote:
Ford has a whole lot more history and heritage than toyota. First production line, first mass produced v8, First to sell 1 million cars are just 3 that come to mind straight away

edit: more came to mind -
first hardtop convertible
first pony car (muscle car)

They also have a rich racing history

As I said before, at the end of the day, it's still a Toyota. Lexus is the premium brand for those who don't like cars.
only car manufacturer to have 53% of the worlds car population at one time.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #38
SVD

the price was released for them, $750,000!
i'd be buying a ferrari...
Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #39
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as said in previouse posts , looks to be a fair bit of supra in there, i like it , regarding lexus............my young brother (toyota dude), reckons the reason toyota made the lexus brand was because some of their flagship models were so underated and to get some recognition for them, after driveing his mark 3 supra i reckon its a fair comment.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #40
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

i want for my company car!... wonder if my manager will allow it... hehe
Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #41
Kaan
Mercury XR6

It's definitely very nice car. But for $400K, it is an absolute rubbish. I reckon price should be around $90K-$120K
Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 AM   #42
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan
It's definitely very nice car. But for $400K, it is an absolute rubbish. I reckon price should be around $90K-$120K
90-120k? are you serious?
The amount of R&D that went into the car, the limited production run, the performance and the technology (carbon fibre monocoque) makes it easily a 300K+ car.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #43
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
i dont car what you say lexus' dont pull chicks like a half mill ferrari.
When you want to take a chick home the lexus will get you there. the Italian stallion's wiring will have caught fire and scared her off.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #44
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
When you want to take a chick home the lexus will get you there. the Italian stallion's wiring will have caught fire and scared her off.
You gotta get the chick into the lexus first though..
Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #45
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate to say it on here, but I am such a fan of Toyota engines... the JZ series was great. I can't wait to see what this thing can do. It's been too long between drinks.

Releasing it as a Lexus is a great option for branding and market position too. Although, with the Audi R8 there is some stiff competition in this bracket!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #46
damir05
turbomaniac

Looking foward at driving it....... in Forza 3 that is
Old 07-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #47
Chopped
as in chopped

should look good driving that.

Look how well Toyota did in F1 (with the biggest budget)....okay don't.
--------------->

The FT-86 is giving Toyota (via Subaru) it's balls back >

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/t...-86-2009-10-06
^ this should be a good car
Old 07-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #48
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Well I guess we'll have to wait and see. Boring may not have been the best choice of word. Clinical maybe? It looks great on paper, but whether it is as good to drive as a GT3 RS for example remains to be seen. I for one would not spend the money (if I had it), or even consider it because of the badge. It could lap the ring in 7 min dead and it'd still be a Toyota at the end of the day.

so.. your calling it clinical then comparing it to a Porsche with is one the most clinical and boring supercars made.. which it beat round the Nurburgring.. apparently...... also apparently is the fact that the orders are coming thick and fast
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 07-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #49
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Peak torque is @ 6800rpm

Here I was thinking the latest M5 needed a rev.....

What is it with these Euro, and now jap V10 engines?

If the Yanks can make a bottom end grunting V10, why can't they?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #50
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

they definately copied the lights off the latest skyline!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #51
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v[]
they definately copied the lights off the latest skyline!
Which ones? Definetly not the rear ones and the front are very different. The GT-R is very slab looking and upright whereas the LF-A is sloped at the front, very low and angled.

You do realise this car has been in the making since 2000, if not before. The first prototype hit the scenes in 2003.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #52
PHATXR

lookes alright.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #53
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
V10-powered Lexus LFA supercar confirmed for Australia - in limited numbers and with a price tag close to $750,000.

Lexus has confirmed Australia will receive five of its LFA supercars from a limited production run of just 500 vehicles.

Australia's one percent share of the run means the LFA's exclusivity will come with a price when the supercar arrives locally in 2011.

Although the final pricing and timing of the Australian delivery are still to be confirmed, a Lexus Australia spokesman said speculation about a circa-$750,000 price would likely be close to the mark.

The LFA is the company's first foray into supercar territory and features a high-revving 4.8-litre V10 engine predicted to produce 412kW of power and 480Nm of torque.

It will also be the quickest Lexus ever, with a 0-100km/h time of 3.7 seconds and a top speed of 325km/h. The LFA is fitted with a 6-speed sequential automatic gearbox with steering wheel paddles, and a choice of four driving modes - auto, sport, normal, and wet.

The striking design of the LFA is dominated by a triangular theme, with the headlights, air-intakes and the triple-tip exhaust outlet all carrying the look.

The V10 engine has been acoustically tuned to produce a subtle sporty note at 3000rpm and under, but with a Formula One-inspired sound at higher engine speeds.

In the interests of aerodynamics, Lexus has fitted the LFA with a speed-activated rear wing, and a flat under-body for better air flow and downforce.

Keeping the car safe is the inclusion of traction and stability control, driver and passenger front and seat-belt airbags as well as a driver's knee airbag.

The muscular curves and sharp lines of the body o the use of the weight saving carbon-fibre reinforced plastic body.

And Lexus hasn't pared back the luxury items, and have afforded the LFA a premium (though lightweight) 12 speaker sound-system as well as leather racing seats - the idea being that the LFA can work for both track and touring.

Lexus has fitted the 4.5-metre-long two-seater LFA with large carbon ceramic brakes and 20-inch wheels wrapped in Bridgestone tyres.

The LFA has been a long time coming. Chief Engineer Haruhiko Tanahashi gained approval for the car in 2000, but says that the LFA needed to be a car that could make Japan proud, a world-class supercar.

"The result is a thoroughbred; a machine engineered to achieve one single goal - to deliver a supreme driving experience," says Tanahashi.

Production of the Japanese supercar will commence in December 2010, and 20 hand-built vehicles will be delivered per month for two years. The majority of vehicles will likely make their way to the Japanese, European and North American markets.
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...1221-l9d9.html
Old 22-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #54
SVD

that!!! $750k!!! i'd go a 458 italia!!! soo much more sexy and its a prancing horse
Old 22-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #55
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a Toyota, I reckon it looks good.
It had to though...they could not produce another Camry-esque body and expect it to turn heads.

And Kircher...who cares whether Ford has more history than Toyota...absolutely irrelevant. GM also has a history, as did Saab, and Studebaker. All three have gone into or are in the poo.

I think Toyotas generally are pretty average looking and aren't much pleasure to drive, but I think a car like this is exciting and may help change some perception.

It might not be as good as some, but at least it's a positive step in creating excitement for the brand.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 23-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #56
richa
handsomest man in showbiz

Thumbs up Top Gear Link Lexus LFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix28tuBCsLI

This thing is a beast...350 000 pounds..1000 000 Bucks?
The fastest car ever on their track (wet)..Sorry CH 9 but the first 7 eps
of top gear are on there already..

'72 GS
Old 23-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #57
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In a bizarre attempt to create a buzz around its LFA supercar, Lexus intends to hand-pick buyers in the United States.

They say money talks, but in the United States it won't guarantee you a Lexus LFA supercar.

The Wall St Journal reports that the Japanese car maker has opted to hand-pick LFA buyers rather than take the traditional route of selling to anyone with the cash to buy one.

It's a strange marketing approach to take in a country that prides itself on being a bastion of capitalism and democracy.

But Lexus wants the buyers to be good ambassadors for the brand, parking outside all the right restaurants and cruising along the right boulevards, rather than keeping a low profile.

Other reports suggest the maker will only lease the cars to US customers, in an attempt to head off speculators looking to warehouse the car or re-sell it immediately at an inflated price. Buyers will have to lease the car for the first two years, before being offered the chance to buy it outright.

The LFA is the maker's attempt to move its image upmarket and challenge the upper echelons of the luxury car market, taking on the Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches of the world.

The Journal says Lexus will ask prospective owners to apply to an authorised Lexus outlet if they are interested in the $US350,000 two-seat supercar.

But the strong-arm tactics have the potential to backfire, particularly as buyers in Europe and Japan are not being put through the same rigorous selection process.

The United States is expected to account for roughly a third of the 500 hand-built LFAs to be built in a limited two-year production run starting in December.

Deliveries won't start until 2011, six years after the first concept version of the car was unveiled at the 2005 Detroit motor show.

Australia will receive five LFA supercars, with the local asking price rumoured to be about $750,000.

The supercar is powered by a 4.8-litre V10, matched to a six-speed dual-clutch transmission. It's expected to produce 413kW of power and 480Nm of torque, which Lexus claims will propel the car to 100km/h in 3.7 seconds.
Ads by Google
Old 23-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #58
Saraco

Unfortunately like all JAP cars no matter how good they are, their class and cred will go down sharply, when the car is 5-10 years old and bought into Australia as a grey import ,then bought by a guy who wears his baseball cap backwards, while listening to DOOF DOOF music.R32 GTR skylines cost around $90k back in the early nineties, aust. delivered ones are still colectable, but they have been diluted by the flood of imports.
Old 23-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #59
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svov88
Unfortunately like all JAP cars no matter how good they are, their class and cred will go down sharply, when the car is 5-10 years old and bought into Australia as a grey import ,then bought by a guy who wears his baseball cap backwards, while listening to DOOF DOOF music.R32 GTR skylines cost around $90k back in the early nineties, aust. delivered ones are still colectable, but they have been diluted by the flood of imports.
Could you be any more wrong? Putting this in the same boat as an R32 GTR alone is just ridiculous. How much do you think a limited release $750k V10 supercar depreciates in 5-10 years? :

This car looks absolutely superb and has some amazing specs to match. I've been worried for a while that the Japanese have lost the ability to make good looking fast cars but this has definitely changed my mind.
Old 23-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #60
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon it looks fantastic. A much nicer looking car than the R35 GTR IMO.
Closed Thread