Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
When Taurus was still midsized, it was the one selling the high numbers. Ever since Ford announced they would drop it and introduced the Fusion and 500, the Fusion has picked up the sales. When Taurus came back as a large car, its been playing second fiddle. Its no different really to why Fairlane never outsold Falcon. Needless to say comparing sales numbers to population doesnt make one program more viable than the other, they still require the raw numbers irregardless.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that a vehicle must have sufficient sales to sustain local manufacturing,
our Falcon survives at lower numbers because of increased plant efficiency and reasonably high retail prices

Long term sustainability of local manufacturing hinges on Ford making the right decision on
products that sell and return sufficient income to justify keeping the doors open and in order
to do that we must have a product that is saleable to at least other countries in our region.

Last edited by jpd80; 29-01-2011 at 08:08 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #32
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I think theres still room to target the UK personally. Currency shifts have turned against them but at the end of the day its still better than tooling up for LHD and sending them to the US to sell at less than fleet price.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 04:38 AM   #33
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Brazen]Full article..

Called flogging a dead horse
Australian buy rwd larger cars for a good reason , it's hot and dry much f the time with affordable fuel and like the pommies we drag stuff behind the car , the last offering in fwd by Ford sank like a stone so if they want to continue selling 3ok a year in the falcon or it's replacement supply whats needed and desired or get outa town
No Brainer ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is one of those topics that never really goes away. It's like the Falcon only needs to exist in Australia. It's the only market where people insist on having it. It would be a niche product everywhere else. I'm in Florida right now, and rented a Charger V6, closest thing you can get to a Falcon here I guess. I thought it would be exciting to get a RWD sedan. It was alright, niceish... It didn't make me want one really badly though, actually I got pretty bored of it. I couldn't fault it, I just didn't really find it that exciting to drive. It wasn't slow by any means, it handled well, rode nicely... it was just a car I got bored of driving. It would make even less sense when I get back to Idaho. Plus most of the Chargers you see on the road are in rental and police fleets. People don't really get excited about them. I don't think I would pick it over the Taurus, though I haven't driven the new Taurus but it looks a lot nicer inside and out. I just don't think the mass market is demanding to have cars like the Falcon outside of Australia. If the Mondeo works well in Europe and the Taurus does well in North America, there's no logical reason for Ford to do much with the Falcon.
I think it was Flappist who suggested that Ford might use RWD on a future Lincoln product. Ford may want to globalize the Lincoln brand as its premium brand. This would make sense to me as Europe only cares about RWD on luxury branded cars, North America is probably very similar that way, though it could be AWD, and people would be just as happy, and there really needs to be a Town Car replacement of some sort. The current model has been around for over a decade and still looks good today, but i think chauffeurs would like a replacement model. It will be interesting to see how it all happens, but I know the end result won't be all bad news.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #35
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that a vehicle must have sufficient sales to sustain local manufacturing,
our Falcon survives at lower numbers because of increased plant efficiency and reasonably high retail prices

Long term sustainability of local manufacturing hinges on Ford making the right decision on
products that sell and return sufficient income to justify keeping the doors open and in order
to do that we must have a product that is saleable to at least other countries in our region.

Hi.....

well..the only reason why Broadmeadows and Ford Australia's production is still allive can be explained by all the money the federal gov and Victorian gov is pumping into the facilities.
Broadmeadows and Geelong might be productive but last year only about 35000 cars left the premices.

A modern car factory needs to produce roughly 100000 cars a year to break even.
Everything below that figure needs to be supported or is called Porsche. They charge an arm and a leg for a car...Ford sells everyday cars and the margins are a lot lower.

Unfortunately the high aussie dollar, low import tariffs and the fact that more and more cheap asian producers enter the market, are not really helping the case here.

The Aussie gov had to deal out a free trade agreement with the US and that is also a heavy burden for FoA. Its a lot easier to import and tinker arround with a new Taurus design instead of engineering something unique for the handful of Aussies that would like to buy a Falcon ( i am one of them by the way ).

The biggest strategic fault FoMoCo and FoA have done in the past is the fact, that neither the underpinnings of the Falcon/Territory nor the very nice I6 engine have made it overseas. Or they could have exported the Falcon in a LHD configuration to Europe and place it above the Mondeo. As everybody knows....the Europeans had a RWD Scorpio.....the Falcon could have taken that position.
They could have sold it in Brazil / Argentina or even North America.

It is hard to admit but GM/Holden did it so much better with the Commodore by giving that model the opportunity to grow outside Australia/New Zealand.

I love the Aussie Falcon because it is a decent car with all necessary options you really need (not the ones that a marketing clown claims to be essential).

Unfortunately (just look arround in our society)....fewer and fewer people have an own opinion..they swim with the mainstream and undergo brainwashing for a while....they buy Japanese, Korean or in the near future possibly Chinese and find hundreds of arguments why they think it was the better choice...

The handful Falcon lovers are simply not enough to justify a local production.

They should have put the next gen Falcon, Territory and Mustang on one platform with export possibilities to Europe, North-and South America

IMHO

I hope there is still hope....

The Moose
Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #36
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishmoose
Broadmeadows and Geelong might be productive but last year only about 35000 cars left the premices.
That is not right.. There were 29,516 Falcons, 9,099 Utes & 11,558 territories sold last year. You got to figure production has to be around this numbers somewhere for the year..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #37
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
That is not right.. There were 29,516 Falcons, 9,099 Utes & 11,558 territories sold last year. You got to figure production has to be around this numbers somewhere for the year..
Hi there...

I think i got confused with all the numbers...

Nevertheless, even all the added up numbers are far off the 100000 mark...sadly

The Moose
Old 21-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #38
XR6Noir

Aside from pulling numbers out of thin air, what is with the obsession with "..." after nearly every sentence...
When I read that it comes across as being deliberately vague to try and appear witty or sarcastic...or to get some agenda across...
See what I mean?

In any case Ford Aus does not survive soley because of government money.
Yet another common misconception we have thanks to the media.

Whether the Falcon is better than the Taurus is largely irrelevant when it comes to local production.
XR6Noir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #39
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Swedishmoose,

I dare say FoA would send the Falcon on a whirl wind adventure around the world within milliseconds have FoMoCo said they could.

It's the opposite that has happened for Holden - it's thanks to Mr Lutz (ex GM big wig) that the Commodore is sold almost worldwide (be it export or Camaro).

But I have a little feeling, though, that with the imminent reduction of the use of the Zeta platform (Camaro moving to Alpha II - smaller and lighter RWD) will create some havoc with the Commodore - it might just go FWD/AWD first or have to risk competing with the new Malibu...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #40
Swedishmoose

Default Re: Falcon better than Taurus?

Hi...

I am slowly getting worried.

In the first quarter 2011 FoA sold 40 % less of the Falcon compared to 2010.
The sales are basically in free fall.

If not soon more consumers decide to buy a Falcon or Territory I am pretty sure that we don't even need to ask ourselfes anymore if the Taurus will replace the Falcon and what not.

Australia and New Zealand as FoA main market is too small.
Now there are even chinese car makers entereing the Australian car market with supercheap (and not very good cars).

If FoA had decided a long time ago, that straight 6 and V8 might not be the ultimate future solution and would have introduced a bigger choice of engines (while still keeping the excellent straight six and V8's) including a Diesel for the Falcon and other options, the situation might not have been so dramatic.

And FoMoCo should have allowed FoA to sell both models overseas.
Germany could have been a marked as there are many Ford consumers who were sad to see their Ford Granada and Ford Scorpio (rear wheel drive) in the 80s and 90s.

What about South America, UK, South Africa ?

The Commodore is sold in the Middle East as a Chevrolet Caprice and is doing very well.

Don't get me wrong...i own two Ford and I am hoping that FoA will survive.

Currently i am not believing in it due to the following:

- current job cuts reflect the dropping demand for the big Fords
- no Diesel option for the Falcon (yes ...a Diesel can compete with a petrol engine....I don't want to go into that argument)

- free trade with many asian countries and the US (importing the Taurus to AUS would be cheeper than producing a version here thanks to the strong aussie dollar)

- lack of long term strategy development of FoA
- FoMoCo's one Ford strategy and the lackl of understanding that it had bombed in the past - see first Ford Mondeo)
- There are less and less consumers who are actually appreciating the benefits of a classic sedan or ute....the demand for all sorts of fancy niche cars is hurting FoA and Holden as well.

The biggest problem is that Ford wanted to announce the strategy for the next Falcon mid 2011 and I don't think that the current sales figures and job cuts will actually boost a positive outcome.

I should probably just get an FG and preserve it as the last real Aussie Ford.

And hopefully i am wrong

The Moose
Old 15-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #41
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Id buy an SHO Taurus over an FG no worries.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #42
munners

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Same here.
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #43
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by munners
Same here.
Then do us all a favour and move to America.
Old 16-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Then do us all a favour and move to America.
Your a funny guy.
How about you go read some review and then post it as your own.

The world doesnt revolve around the falcon
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #45
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would I buy a Taurus over the Falcon?

I'd wait until the CD4-based car is out before I make that call!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #46
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Your a funny guy.

Tit.
Old 16-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #47
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

The SHO weights what 250kg more then the xr6 turbo? I think i'd have to take the xr6 turbo.

Edit: 1726kg(Manual) and 1733kg(Automatic) for the xr6 turbo compared to 1,990 for the Taurus SHO.

Would be interesting how much an Ecoboost XR6T would compare in weight and performance to the current XR6T though.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Taurus is too big, too heavy and even though it gets great fuel economy
it doesn't suit our market one bit. The car is physically much bigger than
our Falcon and probably has the presence that US customers expect in a
Full sized sedan, it also helps to distinguish the Taurus from the far more
popular Fusion which is around 100 mm shorter and 50mm narrower than
our Falcon.

Falcon is an in-betweener, a car with the interior space of a full size vehicle
and the external presence of a large mid sized car. If Falcon didn't have to
accommodate the long I-6, significant front overhang could be pruned,
bringing the length and weight down even further. Perhaps this is a
plan for a Future Falcon, one that shares a lot more under the skin with
the American Mustang. Maybe the key is to keep all that interior space
but wrap the external dimensions around the package much tighter...
Old 16-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #49
SteveJH

Would probably be quite painful to try park a Taurus in a normal sized Australian carpark i'd assume.
Old 16-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #50
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your a funny guy.

My world does if ford scrap the RWD falcon i'm done with ford Bar all RWD falcons
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6
My world does if ford scrap the RWD falcon i'm done with ford Bar all RWD falcons
We have had word that FoA is working on updates beyond SZ Terriotry abd FG II Falcon.

In case you missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
The writing may look like it's written on the wall, but it's not and FordNA have given FordAUS enough lead time before the big call.

Many future programs, including updated Falcon are being worked on, and let me tell you, this whole 'One Ford' thing, well it's not really, it's more like '4-5 Ford', but that doesn't roll off the tongue as well...

and in closing, which i've not seen anything mentioned about it here, the big boys have just left, they've been here sussing out the latest...mmmmmm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well let's just hope we filled them to the rim with what ever tickles their fancy and they went back happy as larry.
Old 16-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #52
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
The SHO weights what 250kg more then the xr6 turbo? I think i'd have to take the xr6 turbo.

Edit: 1726kg(Manual) and 1733kg(Automatic) for the xr6 turbo compared to 1,990 for the Taurus SHO.

Would be interesting how much an Ecoboost XR6T would compare in weight and performance to the current XR6T though.
Goddamn thats as heavy as a Territory. What were they thinking bringing a sedan to market weighing that much?! Fail.

Quote:
Falcon is an in-betweener, a car with the interior space of a full size vehicle
and the external presence of a large mid sized car. If Falcon didn't have to
accommodate the long I-6, significant front overhang could be pruned,
bringing the length and weight down even further. Perhaps this is a
plan for a Future Falcon, one that shares a lot more under the skin with
the American Mustang. Maybe the key is to keep all that interior space
but wrap the external dimensions around the package much tighter...
This of course is the alternative to the local production of CD4 and importation of Mustang and derivatives. A next gen Falcon sharing all of its hard parts with Mustang. Use of corporate engines gearboxes and electrical systems is a no brainer, but I can see the next generation Mustang doing well with the FG's double wishbone front suspension and an evolved CB IRS...but the car would need an additional market to justify the business case...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #53
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
This keeps coming up..there could be more to the Taurus to replace the Falcon. as it keeps coming up???
The T doesn't sell worth a damn so I suspect it's subversion and redirect , my work car is a Ford wagon but it's a big car and the next generation of Ford daily needs to be medium sized and lighter . I bought a daily from Germany because it's economical powerful handles very well and rear wheel drive , if the next generation of Ford becomes fwd it will loose huge sales , smaller lighter and cheaper to run will be the direction for decades and ignoring that will be fatal
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #54
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We'll never get the Taurus. Fact is they arnt going to start up a RHD production for a few hundred sales a month at best.
We've already got the Falcon replacement, and thats the Mondeo.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #55
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We have had word that FoA is working on updates beyond SZ Terriotry abd FG II Falcon.

In case you missed it:
jpd80 your posts allways give me hope, mate i just hope your right. I just wonder what Ford are going to do to get the buyers back, we all know that their marketing is poor and they never seem to rectify that, We all know that the Falcon is as good or better than the Commodore, but the public think Ford is on the nose. How do they fix that.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #56
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Goddamn thats as heavy as a Territory. What were they thinking bringing a sedan to market weighing that much?! Fail.
Its built on a Volvo crossover SUV platform, thats why.
Old 17-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #57
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
We'll never get the Taurus. Fact is they arnt going to start up a RHD production for a few hundred sales a month at best.
We've already got the Falcon replacement, and thats the Mondeo.
That should read current Taurus. The next model if it goes CD4 as expected will likely have its RHD engineering piggy backed off the sister Fusion/Mondeo RHD development.
Old 17-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #58
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
That should read current Taurus. The next model if it goes CD4 as expected will likely have its RHD engineering piggy backed off the sister Fusion/Mondeo RHD development.
Agreed... However here's hoping that they bite the bullet and do a GRWD. It could give at least 250,000 sales anually no worries...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #59
SteveJH

Probably not very accurate, but I was curious about the difference in performance between the Taurus and a Commodore/Falcon.

So i did three laps around the nordschleife in the Taurus SHO. My times were:

1. 9:44.092
2. 9:27.313
3. 9:26.817

I then did started doing laps in the closest thing to an SS commodore I could find. This was the Pontiac G8 GXP with the 309kw LS3.

On my first lap my time was 9:25.921 and at the first split checkpoint on the second lap I was already 10 seconds ahead so I didn't bother doing any more laps.

My laps in the SHO were much smoother then my lap in the GXP as I didn't have to really worry about modulating the accelerator, whereas with the GXP, too much power in the corners would have spun me.

As all laps were done with the same (talentless ) driver they should be fairly consistant assuming the modelling of Forza 3 is relatively accurate.

Laps were done with Braking Line showing (yeah i'm a wuss), Automatic transmission (my manual shifting in games needs work and I wanted to be consistant) and ABS on. ESC and TC were turned off.

Anyway, i've had my fun for the evening, bed time.

Hmm, might have to see what I do in the W427 tomorrow possibly...
Old 17-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #60
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No real surprises there. SHO is a good performer but only on an equivalent XR level, whilst the GXP is near enough HSV level there. I remember the Coupe4 used to lap Eastern Creek faster than the VY2 Clubsport which even had 15kw more than the Coupe4, but i think it was probably also a smaller weight differential than that between a Taurus and G8 GXP.