Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the better option?
2.0 4 cyl with turbo and direct-injection on PULP 106 30.55%
4.0 6 cyl with liquid injection LPG 241 69.45%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #31
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me, it's going to come down to cost of driving, i.e, fuel, and how it drives. The EB2.0 might be a better drive than the LILPG, or vice versa, but I won't know until both are released and my bottom has sat in the drivers seat for both of them.
Things like spare tyre and so forth also weighs on the decision, so we'll just have to wait and see. The decision can't be made until both cars are on sale at dealers.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #32
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Knowing how good the liquid injection is means its a no brainer for me.
CHeap to run and equal power to the petrol version.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #33
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The LPI Falcon will be a no-compromise solution. The tank will be hidden under the boot area and the spare wheel resides in the boot (but it is removable). Leave the spare at home, carry a pump and a can of tyre sealant, pay up your roadside assist, and say hello to cheap motoring without drawbacks.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #34
sprack
Starter Motor

2.0 4 cyl with turbo and direct-injection on PULP
My choice
sprack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #35
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
The LPI Falcon will be a no-compromise solution. The tank will be hidden under the boot area and the spare wheel resides in the boot (but it is removable). Leave the spare at home, carry a pump and a can of tyre sealant, pay up your roadside assist, and say hello to cheap motoring without drawbacks.
Are you sure?
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #36
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
4L I6 with LILPG

stuff having a ford with a little 2L 4cyl engine
I voted for the 4 banger. I love a larger engine but in the world of ever growing competitiveness for better efficiency, the larger motors are slowly dyeing IMO. Anyway more to the point, I do alot of country k's and good luck to you if you happen to run out of fuel in the sticks. At least you can carry a can of petrol back. Run out of LPG.....uhoh.

I would rather a diesel straight six for some serious pulling power.

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #37
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I voted for LPG as I believe that it will be a big part of Australia's fuel future. But I would only get it if they fix the issue with the boot, I'm sorry but what Ford has currently done is BS and why I wouldn't buy one.

Also not having a spare in the car is not an option for me.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #38
AussieAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
FG does not have a V6 engine.
Sorry, miss typed.
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #39
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I'm not in the market for either, my next purchase will be the turbo 6 but my vote goes to the ecoboost 4.

Whilst I believe the lpg will be the more sensible solution there's something about the ecoboost that fascinated me, I can't help but believe it will be a big deal and am quite excited to test drive one.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway

Last edited by FGX-351; 07-03-2011 at 02:33 AM.
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

EcoLPI will be more expensive option than Ecoboost and still has spare tyre in the middle of the boot.

EcoLPI will give around 12 l/100 klm while Ecoboost will give around 8 l/100 klm
The fuel costs will be about the same but people buying Ecoboost will have no
bothers with looking for LPG pumps, no 12 monthly gas inspections and no cab stigma.

Last edited by jpd80; 07-03-2011 at 08:39 AM.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #41
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
people buying Ecoboost will have no
bothers with looking for LPG pumps, no 12 monthly gas inspections
Been driving an LPG car now for 12 years and I've never had one time where it's been difficult to find an LPG pump. A diesel one that isn't high flow on the other hand...
12 month inspections? Don't know what you mean there. The only inspections you have are the 10 year ones. Unless you mean servicing the LPG system, but that will be a moot point on the LILPG as it would be part of the standard service routine on a factory system.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Been driving an LPG car now for 12 years and I've never had one time where it's been difficult to find an LPG pump. A diesel one that isn't high flow on the other hand...
12 month inspections? Don't know what you mean there. The only inspections you have are the 10 year ones. Unless you mean servicing the LPG system, but that will be a moot point on the LILPG as it would be part of the standard service routine on a factory system.
I personally don't mind LPG but I know that some of the above issues are off putting to some potential
customers and i think Ford knows it too, so that's why they are going with both engines this time...

The past sales rates are proof that private new car buyers do not buy E-Gas new,
Ecoboost is here as an alternative to a good engine fuel that private new car buyers don't want..

If Ecoboost can get 6.5 l/100 km on the highway, people won't even look at gas...
Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #43
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

okay LPG (pre liquid inject) I personally have had much head trauma running this on later EFI model cars, it backfores through the intake blowing it to bits, on the EF I had the part that it would split was over a hundred dollars from the wreckers and one backfire would split it, due to this I got myself an XF utility (carby) and this just WORKS forever and doesn't backfire, A friend has a gas system on his BA futura with some "anti backfire setup" which perplexed me as the entire air intake pipework has been replaced with cast iron (lets see that blow up) and despite this gas system being the cats meow it STILL backfires and ruins his airfilter, needless to say my experience with LPG on EFI vehicles hasn't been good with any running cost savings being wiped out by repairs/parts

now 4 cylinder, no thanks if I want a turbo 4 cylinder I will go and get a subaru, I can't see this working in the falcon for anything other than fleets, so my choice is an older I6 falcon, B series thanks

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #44
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

4 cylinder for me.
Do not like LPG, never have never will.
Weight saving of the ecoboost is a plus.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #45
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I wanted a 4-cyl Ford I'd be happy with one of their other fine (Eurpoean-based) offerings. For a Falcon its nothing less than a 6-cylinder.

A four-cylinder Falcon? Don't tarnish the name .. at least call it a Cortina ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #46
RAPID_BA
Banned

Are ford thinking their customers dont know whats under the hood? If they were too focused on economy wouldnt they have bought a camry during the last few years?

Offers falcon like space, reasonable performance and good economy. Or are we trying to bring over cardigan wearing camry buyers into a falcon?
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #47
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EcoBoost 2.0 Turbo:

Advantages:
1. Should definitely provide superior fuel economy to the I6, especially sitting at very low revs in Sydney traffic and idling...
2. Should be significantly lighter, I6 is about 190kg, I would expect a 2ltr all allow engine to cut that weight in ½, so even a 90KG weight saving should provide a massive improvement to handling and car balance as it will probably sit lower and deeper in the engine bay.
3. Should be significantly more refined that the I6 which is not the most quiet, smooth, vibration free engine.
4. Should provide great opportunity for cheap power upgrades, similar to an I6T. I think this will be a great alternative for people wanting a performance falcon with lower fuel consumption and cheaper entry price compared to an I6T.
5. Greener engine to run, would this make registration potentially cheaper in some states?

Disadvantages:
1. Probably not as powerful or responsive in stock form compared to an I6.
2. Potentially more expensive than I6 completely offsetting the fuel economy advantage.
3. Could lead to upgradetitis due to being a turbo engine

Last edited by dimka100; 07-03-2011 at 06:14 PM.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #48
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Liquid Injection I6:

Advantages:
1. Should definitely be significantly cheaper to run compared to petrol I6, gas costs a lot less …
2. Should be greener for the environment as gas burns much cleaner than petrol …

Disadvantages:
1. Potentially still not as powerful or responsive compared to petrol I6 (especially 98 octane petrol).
2. Potentially loss of some boot space or spare tyre.
3. Potentially more expensive than petrol I6 completely offsetting the fuel savings advantage.
4. Potentially heavier due to the extra gas parts which might be installed by Ford due to some safety or whatever standards …
5. Resale value could become a major issue in the future due to the Taxi/Fleet perception …
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #49
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
1. Should definitely be significantly cheaper to run compared to petrol I6, gas costs a lot less …
The government is doing their best to close that gap with the introduction of excise on LPG as of next year. 2.5c/L per year up until 2015 with a total of 12.5c/L excise from then.

Quote:
5. Greener engine to run, would this make registration potentially cheaper in some states?
Not due to the green-ness of the engine, but the fact it has 2 cylinders less. Here in SA, it'll be cheaper to register due to being a 4-banger.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The one major risk with LPG is that the price is artificially low.

If it were taxed the same as other fuels there would be no advantage whatsoever and regardless of any of the political banter, as soon as they can tax it they will.

We have the "tax party" in command under the defacto control of the "ban cars and we will all ride unicorns" partyette. Be afraid, be VERY afraid........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #51
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Some good responses and healthy debates. Keep it civil and all will be well.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #52
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
EcoLPI will be more expensive option than Ecoboost and still has spare tyre in the middle of the boot.

EcoLPI will give around 12 l/100 klm while Ecoboost will give around 8 l/100 klm
The fuel costs will be about the same but people buying Ecoboost will have no
bothers with looking for LPG pumps, no 12 monthly gas inspections and no cab stigma.

I dont understand how the Ecoboost is better. Economically with LPG at 12L/100km. LPG is the equivalent of roughly 5l/100km on petrol financially... Significantly better than Ecoboost.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #53
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Based on what we know, the ECOBoost engine has my vote. But I'm really not in the market for a large sedan and love a good four pot engine. The new Di-LPG sounds great from the rumors, but I don't know enough about it yet where the ECOBoost engine has a fair bit of buzz and info around thanks to US applications.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #54
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I dont understand how the Ecoboost is better.
1) Private buyers avoided E-Gas option like the plague, they really hate the spare sitting in the boot.
2)CO2 on a vehicle that averages 8 l/100 km is way better than LPG car with 12 l/100 km.
3) because of point 2 government fleets will be looking at I-4 Ecoboost ahead of I-6 LPG.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #55
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Are ford thinking their customers dont know whats under the hood? If they were too focused on economy wouldnt they have bought a camry during the last few years?

Offers falcon like space, reasonable performance and good economy. Or are we trying to bring over cardigan wearing camry buyers into a falcon?
Newsflash matey, people actually BUY Camry's no matter what your opinion of them is. Id rather see cardigan wearing Sunday buffet hoovering, false toothed over 60's villagers driving Falcons, than no Falcons at all.

The Ecoboost is the best option, I'd never touch an LPG, my opinion and you are all free to disagree with my pig headedness, is that it is a compromise, a fast burning, smelly, fuel which will always make any falcon look like a taxi with that red square on the plate. I don't get why people are so into it.

The DI 4 is Direct Injection, Turbo and intercooled. With the same power and commodore beating performance and it runs (and runs economically) on REAL fuel, I am surprised to see so many here are not backing it, instead still flogging the I6 in LPG form like a dead horse with three legs...

Private buyers will always choose Petrol or Diesel over LPG. Sorry, but it is just the way it is, unless you drive a pale yellow falcon with green checkerboard stickers draped over it.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #56
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I don’t get LPG either.. But hey, I don’t get Diesel either.. Petrol for me please!!

I’ve been considering selling my XR6T based on the fuel bill only.. LOVE it to piece, just drinks to much fuel. EcoBoost has my attention, but then I think, if I wait another 12 months after Falcon EcoBoost, I’ll be able to get the same engine in the Focus which might give me similar performance to my XR6T but at much lower fuel rate.. But I do like RWD too, just don’t know how I’ll go from XR6T to Ecoboost on performance wise.. Decisions, decisions
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #57
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Default Re: New Falcon engines - which would you buy?

Anybody want to change their vote now EcoLPi details have been released?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #58
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Easy choice, LPG... Shame they have no wagon to put it in! No sale...
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #59
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I think the EB4 has potential to be a real world fuel sipper, so there's my vote...

Add in the 6T and Miami and fuel consumption would be the least of my worries! :P
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #60
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

V8 for me please.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post