Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #31
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Re: The "BOSS GT" might be going !!!

Well at least she wants something sporty and not an SUV !!
(WRX are good cars but not unique like your GT.)
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #32
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

My brother inlaw has a 2002 WRX and it is an extremely quick car which is fun for a quick squirt and I have driven it over the Mt Dandenong tourist RD (in melbourne's east - a nice twisty mountain ) it handled well and once it was on boost it went well. In saying that, the sound and the feel didn't compare to a Boss!!! That's my 2 cents worth.
Good luck with what ever you decide.

The only FPV ever built in CONGO GREEN

SOLD

CURRENT 2012 Manual, leather, sat nav GT 335 in SWIFT GREEN

1 of only 6 manual Swift Green GT’s and 1 of only 21 Swift Green GT’s in total
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a very tasty upgrade coming to the WRX soon, just a slight facelift and nip and tuck here and there, but it adresses some of the woeful styling points of the current car.

You won't generally go wrong with a Rex...treated properly they just keep on plugging along. It's when you look at second hand ones and the last owner was some young goon who thinks fiddling with the carefully designed factory suspension and whacking a cannon muffler on it then revving the ring out of it mercilessly is the normal way to treat a car.

It's only "half the car" if you constantly drive at 9/10ths everywhere, every day, in all conditions. Drive it like a normal car and give it a squirt now, maybe a spirited drive on a twisty road sometimes, and then and you'll be pleasantly surprised...

And yes, just thank christ she didn't turn to you one night and say something like "You know, those Hybrid Camrys look pretty nice, get fantastic economy, and the finance deals are pretty good...how about we go look at one?"
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
ok . the wife is toying with the idea of upgdating the GT .
with a SUBARU WRX MY 11 .
i know this is ford and i'm die hard ford , and FPV . i could easily keep it till it goes to FPV heaven , but the wife likes to move things on .
what do people think of WRX MY 11 . CARS ??? not the sti version , but the sedan or hatch /standard or premium ones . around mid 40's price range , however the wife says her budget is 35 to 40k for a subaru , but i dont know what shes looking at , the son says she is looking at wrx's ??BELIEVE ME this suggestion caused a massive argument , and lots of name calling to the point where i wont be getting sex for some time , however now that i'm calm i must consider and look into it before she goes and trades unexpectadly . its 1/2 in my name so that cant happen , but you know what i mean , i need to be subjectively prepared .

any advice or suggestions , might be better to hold off to the new year , as they'rell be runouts on , and the GT isnt really going to drop to much more as they have already come down depreciatewd over the years .
give your thoughts on trading a BA GT MKII 6 SPD MAN , ON A SUBARU .
IT'S NOT MY IDEA OR CHOICE OF CAR ITS THE WIFES . , however i'd like to consider others too . i'd like to look at a fully specced focus , ( not the RS) . OR EVEN A HYUNDIA elantra fully specced as an alternative cheaper veiw than the WRX . fg xr6's are pretty much out , as we already have one .

please suggestions and advice/ help appreciated , you can even donate to the cause if you like LOL
Are you really prepared to start a domestic war over selling your car? Seriously?

The first thing to do is check what your GT is REALLY worth. Then get back up off the floor as it will be MUCH lower than you expect probably teens or maybe low 20s if you are lucky. (I did a quick look and 05 BA2 GT man is $16-21k depending on km and farkles)
Ignore all the ads on carsales with BA2 GTs for $30s as all of these cars have one thing in common, they have not been sold.

If you trade it, it is worth wholesale only and anything above that will be discount you will not get for no trade.

If you sell it privately you will get more but have to put up with all the grief involved with tyre kickers, roadworthies, bleeding rego et al.
It is a V8 and a manual so therefore not popular with the majority of car buyers and a great many of those who would buy it can't afford it.

The question to consider:
Does she not like the big car? If so then no falcon will be a solution to your situation.
If not then why not grab an early FG GS/GT/F6 or even an XR8/XR6T/G6ET?

If you are stuck with smaller, the XR5T as mentioned above is a great car, actually either Focus or Mondeo. Or you can look at other marques.

Good luck with it.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #35
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

And yes, just thank christ she didn't turn to you one night and say something like "You know, those Hybrid Camrys look pretty nice, get fantastic economy, and the finance deals are pretty good...how about we go look at one?"

if that was the case . which one of us do you think would be driving an FPV ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #36
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think when it comes to "shall I or shant I" when deciding whether to keep, sell or upgrade a car really depends on your domestic circumstances, the size of your wallet and having regard to what's practical.

Frank, you and I are similar ages...with a 6-7 year old FPV. The differences are though, I'm happily divorced, live alone, 2 teenage kids and in a relationship with a woman similar age also with 2 teenage kids. I work in the city and train it to work and, apart from the odd usage on a weeknight, my car is used at weekends only....My partner has an X5 which is , not only her daily, but used primarily to tow her daughters horsefloat to/from shows. If it wasn't for that she'd probably have a smaller car thats easier to manouvere. She won't drive my GT and I don't offer it to her to use. Similarly, I won't drive her X5, except to take it out of the garage to detail it occasionaly.

If I was in your shoes with a wife and kids, I believe a manual high performance V8 would be way too impractical given that it would generally be used for running kids around, going shopping, visiting her Mum etc. With that kind of usage, and knowing what my ex wife was like with kids/cars etc, the car would get knocked and negelected a fair bit, kids messing it up inside, using far too much fuel for what she really needs, scraping front bars etc etc....so I can why she'd want to get rid of it..As a compromise, why not give her the FG XR6 as a daily driver and, if funds permit, buy a old dunger to drive to work yourself?

Agree with Brent about a new car warranty , bells and whisles etc. However from my perspective I can't justify an upgrade given that my car usage is quite small and not worthy of the depreciation loss - the accountant and practical guy coming out in me now. lol
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
BELIEVE ME this suggestion caused a massive argument , and lots of name calling to the point where i wont be getting sex for some time
Probably would have been easier to agree without the name calling and keeping the sex, how about suggesting something like an XR5 Focus (Or the new ST when it arrives in Australia?). Who knows, after driving around the XR5 Focus or similar Euro competitors you might even be a convert?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #38
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Are you really prepared to start a domestic war over selling your car? Seriously?

The first thing to do is check what your GT is REALLY worth. Then get back up off the floor as it will be MUCH lower than you expect probably teens or maybe low 20s if you are lucky. (I did a quick look and 05 BA2 GT man is $16-21k depending on km and farkles)
Ignore all the ads on carsales with BA2 GTs for $30s as all of these cars have one thing in common, they have not been sold.

If you trade it, it is worth wholesale only and anything above that will be discount you will not get for no trade.

If you sell it privately you will get more but have to put up with all the grief involved with tyre kickers, roadworthies, bleeding rego et al.
It is a V8 and a manual so therefore not popular with the majority of car buyers and a great many of those who would buy it can't afford it.

The question to consider:
Does she not like the big car? If so then no falcon will be a solution to your situation.
If not then why not grab an early FG GS/GT/F6 or even an XR8/XR6T/G6ET?

If you are stuck with smaller, the XR5T as mentioned above is a great car, actually either Focus or Mondeo. Or you can look at other marques.

Good luck with it.
i have only just started thinking about this today , and i must admit that is definately another option . and the reality is , it is very wise and you have a valid point about domestics , when there is so much at stake 20gs over 7 years to update a car is very insignificant , and also pretty much the norm over such time . aN fg xr8/gs/g6et , Is very worth consideration , if the gt must be sold , good points flappist .
Old 04-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #39
gtfpv
GT

"franks councilling thread "
Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #40
WASP
Whipple Induced

Family comes first Frank. If it just doesnt make sense to keep the GT then so be it. There will be another opportunity to get into another Ford V8 in the not too distant future if that is what you really want. That doesn't mean you need to settle for a replacement car that you dont like however, or have little interest in. As a car enthusist, there is nothing worse than owning a vehicle that offers nothing to feed the soul, hence you take your time with this decision and consider what you are replacing it with carefully.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #41
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Heres my 2 bobs worth, yr wife wont like what I write, but maybe common sence can prevail..

I dont know whats with some peoples obsession to keep updating cars.. Sure you get a newer car and warranty etc, but is that worth blowing up to 20k on in this case? Buying new cars is nothing but a great way to tear up copius amounts of money.. Times are tuff, Id be way more savvy with my money than springing for fancy new cars that depreciate rapidly..

Someone above mention the GT is a bit impracticle as a family hack, but FFS thats what they are made as/for, a combo family/performance taxi..

You guys own this car, and while theres nothing wrong with it, and its kept well and maintained etc, why replace that..
I just dont see the logic in fixing things that arent broken, AND even worse tipping in another 10 or 20k into the equasion that could easily go into reducing your mortgage or a bunch of nice luxury small ticket items, or a well deserved holiday somewhere..

Iv been thru this with my now ex wife too, she wanted the latest and greatest cars too, cost me a bloody fortune, but after the novelty wore off she was still the same, never happy with what she had.. Im not sayin yr missus is like that, but FFS, sometimes you just gotta draw the line about wasting money unnescessarily in todays tuff times..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #42
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
That's because they all belong to people who don't want to sell them. That has always been my plan if I was forced to sell a car I didn't want to....price it through the stratosphere
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #43
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
"franks councilling thread "
one of the mods should change the thread title.
Sounds like you had a really good barney with the missus yesterday mate. Knowing a little about how these things work-out maybe just chill out for a while and you never know the unthinkable might happen and she might change her mind and come around to seeing things your way, of her own volition of course. You can't force these things for some strange reason that usually doesn't work.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #44
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I don't get it.

These situations where Falcons aren't used as daily commuter vehicles. Ooops, meant to say FPV GT's.

Flog that XR6, or hand it back to the lease company, let her go out and buy a Subaru, and you drive the GT as transport.

I really don't see a dilemma.

As for kids, families..... and GT's by Ford Performance vehicles not mixing, not being practical, I call BS.

But seems I'm in the minority. lol.

Good luck with it mate.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #45
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to heartily agree with the old "you own it, keep it until it breaks", but reality starts to change your perception as you get older.
Especially when fuel prices just keep on rising, insurance companies make every driver pay because some know-nothing idiot wraps his car around a tree (until you get old enough for the "over 55 only" insurance mob that is), and registration is still caught in the dark ages where V8's were big heavy cars, and fours and sixes were smaller.

It can make perfect economic sense to unload a car while it is still worth some money and has a good trade in price, rather than wait until it's just another old car...one with some mechanical problems...and try and unload it then.
Our next car, probably after about five years or more or until the G6E starts to become uneconomic to run, will probably be something four cylinder and probably diesel, but it will have to be interesting, maybe a VW Golf GTi. However, who knows what will happen in five years time with cars and fuel?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #46
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might get a shock at how little the GT may be when trading.

One of my best mates had a bf mk2 gt in shockwave. Tuned, full stainless exhaust 70klm brembo gear etc etc. (Hadn't even done the drive day). This car was basically faultless. Fully serviced etc etc.

Best trade deal was $24500

Prior this, he had a ba xr6 which he purchased from Ford with 19's low ks etc
He purchased his wifes car from same dealer, traded them both on the GT and a brand new focus. Service both by the same dealer.

All he got was $24500 when traded on a brand new escape. Shows loyalty with the same dealership meant little. (I'd say he spent over $135000 with them).

All I am getting at is that the trade can and may be insulting and the change over to an Subi may not be worth it....

However, if she insists on a change of model Evo lancer's may be worth looking at too.
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
ZDHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #47
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDHLANE
Might get a shock at how little the GT may be when trading.

One of my best mates had a bf mk2 gt in shockwave. Tuned, full stainless exhaust 70klm brembo gear etc etc. (Hadn't even done the drive day). This car was basically faultless. Fully serviced etc etc.

Best trade deal was $24500

Prior this, he had a ba xr6 which he purchased from Ford with 19's low ks etc
He purchased his wifes car from same dealer, traded them both on the GT and a brand new focus. Service both by the same dealer.

All he got was $24500 when traded on a brand new escape. Shows loyalty with the same dealership meant little. (I'd say he spent over $135000 with them).

All I am getting at is that the trade can and may be insulting and the change over to an Subi may not be worth it....

However, if she insists on a change of model Evo lancer's may be worth looking at too.
$24500 is good money for a BA MK2.

Most wholesale are around the $17 - $19 mark now, with a dealer sticker ***** of $24990 - $26990.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #48
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Ergh....

Not a fan of the current Impreza range...

Maybe a Liberty GT is more what your looking for?
Oh i love it
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #49
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
$24500 is good money for a BA MK2.

Most wholesale are around the $17 - $19 mark now, with a dealer sticker ***** of $24990 - $26990.

Its says BFMK2

G Even A BA GT, thats alot of car for the money!
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
ZDHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #50
gtfpv
GT

a trade in will not be happening , i was offered 7000 off dealers for an immaculate ELXR8 which was 8 years old in 2005, i sold it privatly for 14000 . the newer the car the more it depreciates after jan 01 2012 . so in that respect ive got nothing to lose waiting a couple of months . but happy to negotiate with sellers now, infact i will buy the replacement before i sell .
Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #51
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Buy a FG 315 GS. Ripper value at current vdealer prices.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #52
apfgxr6

if your lookin at a wrx, what about a renault megane RS250 cup instead?
apfgxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #53
gtfpv
GT

2009 and soon 2010 vehicles might work out best for this situation , looking at 2nd hand value of 40 k , or new value of 40k , i think 40k buys a lot more in in 2yr old cars .
Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #54
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sell the GT, pay off your mortgage. If there's anything left, your wife can have a car out of that.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #55
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

I must be the luckiest guy in the world to have the wife I do. I have the capacity to go out and buy any car in the Ford/FPV range and pay CASH for it, but my wife is happy to drive the AU XR8 I bought not long ago. I like having a substantial amount of cash in the bank as a safety net. I'm not pretentious so I don't need to have the lastest cars even though I could. I'm not saying everyone with late model cars is pretentious. She also never complained at me building a shed for my other cars in my sig. We also have 3 bank accounts; 1 joint, my own, and her own.

If I want to buy a car that I want (and she doesn't), I'll use MY cash. If she wants to buy a car that she wants (and I don't), she uses HER cash. If we both agree on the car (or anything for that matter like TVs etc) we use OUR cash.

No way is anyone going to tell me what to spend MY money on that I work hard to make. I also have no right to tell anyone else how to spend THEIR money. It's called mutual respect. I always see ads on carsales, ebay etc saying "the wife says one of the cars has to go". Maybe it's the wife that has to go. I would never tell my wife to get rid of her shoe collection. I don't expect her to tell me to get rid of one of my cars. All comes down to mutual respect. You live once. Your life partner should respect that.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #56
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Family comes first Frank.
Not sure if this counts but he was a Ford man before he got married.. sooo...

j/k

Quote:
...but the wife likes to move things on.
Compromise, negotiate. She wants something new, and you want a Ford V8...
So buy a new Ford V8.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #57
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
I must be the luckiest guy in the world to have the wife I do. I have the capacity to go out and buy any car in the Ford/FPV range and pay CASH for it, but my wife is happy to drive the AU XR8 I bought not long ago. I like having a substantial amount of cash in the bank as a safety net. I'm not pretentious so I don't need to have the lastest cars even though I could. I'm not saying everyone with late model cars is pretentious. She also never complained at me building a shed for my other cars in my sig. We also have 3 bank accounts; 1 joint, my own, and her own.

If I want to buy a car that I want (and she doesn't), I'll use MY cash. If she wants to buy a car that she wants (and I don't), she uses HER cash. If we both agree on the car (or anything for that matter like TVs etc) we use OUR cash.

No way is anyone going to tell me what to spend MY money on that I work hard to make. I also have no right to tell anyone else how to spend THEIR money. It's called mutual respect. I always see ads on carsales, ebay etc saying "the wife says one of the cars has to go". Maybe it's the wife that has to go. I would never tell my wife to get rid of her shoe collection. I don't expect her to tell me to get rid of one of my cars. All comes down to mutual respect. You live once. Your life partner should respect that.
great to hear you have system worked out mate . sounds like you dont have kids and earn similar amounts , that might be where you and i differ greatly .
Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #58
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

I don't have kids. I'm on just above average wage, my wife only works part time. I've been very disciplined over the years to be able to save the money I have. I am very lucky to be in the position I'm in. I have enough put away to manage well when kids come along.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #59
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As people have said earlier, it could be worse.

I lost the argument in our house over whether we should buy a fg xr6t or a diesel suv, and well look at my Sig..

The main reason being that my wife would drive the car at least 6 days a week while I'm working to pay for it. Maybe in a few years I can get my 'fun' car to drive occasionally, not everyday as the family hack.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #60
WASP
Whipple Induced

I must admit as I think Tex alluded to, if yu can I would be swapping the XR6 for the GT as the daily driver and give the XR to your wife. If of course it's not her cup of tea then let it go and replace it with something else she likes and that you can afford. Of course if you are tired of the GT and would rather let it go than use it everyday then that is a different matter.