Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #31
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Default Re: TomTom GPS Trap!!

Well, stop relying on technology to spoon feed you everything, and use your brain.

Or is this too difficult without an iphone app?

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #32
LXL15

I must say, I don't mind if they sell it for purposes like traffic flow analysis etc. Plus I don't understand why everyone is afraid of this information being used on an individual basis. Why would any company want to spend millions of dollars (presumably) buying and trawling through mountains of data to find out where one person lives? They would probably use the information bought from the phone companies for that :P to me the 'I don't feel comfortable having them know where I live' line seems a bit paranoid. I have had a smartphone for a couple of years and am yet to receive a visit from a company who tracked me down through purchased data. I don't agree with identifiable data being sold.

Another point is they say users agree to it. Buried on page 2684 of the user agreement probably. Companies should make a shortened version of their user agreements that users find friendly enough to actually read that summarize the main points, so that they know when these things are going to happen.
LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #33
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
And this solves the issue how?

Think about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
What happens when the other manufacturers sell the info to others?
Don't buy them either

I hear maps are useful, and they wont track your movements (not yet anyway)
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #34
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Well, stop relying on technology to spoon feed you everything, and use your brain.

Or is this too difficult without an iphone app?

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #35
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Think about it

Don't buy them either

I hear maps are useful, and they wont track your movements (not yet anyway)
The issue is your privacy..... not buying the product doesnt solve it.
It only solves the issue for you personally. There is a wider issue about the general publics privacy.

As I said before, the iPhone has been caught out doing the same thing.
Are YOU going to cancel your mobile phone once every single phone manufacturer tracks your move and then sells the info to others?

Do you honestly believe the wider public will stop using these devices if they are being tracked and have their information sold?

And as for using GPS i dont rely on it where i live or any other town that i am familier with an usually rely on the good old phone book map when i got somewhere im not familier with. I do own one but only use it once in a blue moon on long trips. (Three times in 2 yrs so far).

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post