Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #31
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

interior looks horrid!

IMO they should have reduced the crap on the insides and shed some of the 1700kg weight!

So where does the 100k extra come from when its converted to RHD.. can't see the value..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #32
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
interior looks horrid!

IMO they should have reduced the crap on the insides and shed some of the 1700kg weight!

So where does the 100k extra come from when its converted to RHD.. can't see the value..
Australia gets ripped off with everything.. you should know this by now. I quite like the new Camaro to be honest.. but I think I'd be saving a longgggg time at that price. :P
Old 25-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #33
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The top left hand gauge seems to be a "torque gauge"....... WTF. Never heard or seen one of these before.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #34
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

$80k maybe
$150k......dreaming.....I'd take a nice GT40 replica turnkey for that
Old 25-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #35
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

At that price, why would i get a Camaro over a Mustang? And why would I get a Mustang over a Nissan GT-R?
Old 25-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #36
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

definately agree with ya there XR6190 - although there will be punters who will have the money to buy whatever they want i really couldnt justify spending $150k on a car which more or less is just a new Monaro with a different badge, American styling and a long waiting time due to the conversion..

Yep I think the loaded enthusiasts would find it hard to justify it too
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #37
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure about the interior. The bottom guages look too agricultural compared to the rest. Too small of a car for my needs and very small looking in the flesh, as i seen one on the road a few weeks back. Still think an fpv GT has more presence...
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #38
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Still think an fpv GT has more presence...
Maybe if you squint a little bit...
Old 25-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #39
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

I went for a spin in one the other week they are nice looking but the interior let it down badly and the boot access is tiny. It was a SIDI V6 and it went OK but didn't have the exhaust note one want/expect in a sports car like this but overall a nice unit and fairly well finished
Old 25-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #40
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Spotted one of these in Bayswater on sunday, just near home. Already had water in the tail light, dints and some scrapes on it, bad paint match on one guard. Pics here.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #41
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

That gearshifter looks horrid. Love the retro style gauges though, they do look good above the steering wheel. But for 150k the average punter could have bought the 427hsv and had the bigger motor too..
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #42
theboxmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
Spotted one of these in Bayswater on sunday, just near home. Already had water in the tail light, dints and some scrapes on it, bad paint match on one guard. Pics here.

Bayswater? : I might just see it around then.....
theboxmike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #43
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The Camaro has two doors, rear wheel drive and a V8, price aside i can't see a downside to them being available in Aus.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #44
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxmike
Bayswater? : I might just see it around then.....
Without giving too much away, it turned into a street near the fishing shop (formerly Boronia marine)

They have awesome road presence, but the look i had into the interior was disgusting. It looked so cramped in there, and with the two rectangle guage "pods"....... :

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #45
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I just love that people are paying a premium to import an Australian designed and prototype built car back into Australia via America just simply because its American but its in fact Australian.

I dont know if anyone else sees the humor in it but I do py:
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #46
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The awesome 2010 Chevrolet Camaro is coming to Australia. Performax International has purchased a Camaro in a 2SS V8 manual and its on the way as you read this.

Specifications

The SS package includes a 426 horsepower (318 kW) LS3 6.2 litre V8 paired with the new Tremec TR 6060 six-speed manual transmission. Dual stainless steel exhaust with polished tips. Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control System with Traction Control. High performance Brembo vented rotors with four-piston aluminum calipers. Also equipped with outside heated power-adjustable side mirrors with auto dimming drivers side mirror, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, heated, leather appointed seats with six-way power adjuster, cruise control, Bluetooth, remote vehicle starter, tilt and telescopic steering wheel, auxiliary input jack, Boston Acoustic stereo system with 9 speakers and a 245 watt amplifier, USB port, Steering wheel mounted radio controls, and much, much more.

The compliancing and conversion of the 2010 Camaro will be happening in our workshop as soon as it arrives. Performax will convert and compliance this vehicle using our industry leading computer aided design and plastic injection molding technology to give you an unprecedented RHD quality finish.

Performax has a state of the art 3 dimensional scanner that allows us to scan any article then produce it on a CAD programme. We then through our software package reverse engineer the article to suit the RHD environment.

Once the article has been drawn, it is then printed on the 3 dimensional printer. This amazing printer actually prints a solid plastic prototype which allows us to try the article in the vehicle. If any changes need to be made they are made back in the Cad programme and then reprinted. This takes all of the guess work out of the process and allows us to work with an exact replication. The quality of these articles produced this way is a new benchmark in the industry. Performax again has pioneered and is leading the way in conversion technology and quality.

Current Status

The first Camaro has now landed at Performax International.

We will beginning work immediately to convert the Camaro. Its first appearance will be at our Official Australian Launch at the 2009 V8 Supercar Drivers Lunch on the Gold Coast. For all the details of the Official Launch please click here

This first car is a test and evaluation vehicle and will be used to seek regulatory approval from the department of Transport and Regional Services for a limited number of these vehicles.Performax International plans to have the first government approved RHD 2010 Camaro in Australia

We will continue to update the compliance status of the Camaro as it progresses.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Old 26-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #47
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

What the retail on one of these , Im guessing around the 150 - 160k mark.
Old 26-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #48
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Performax hasn't officially said but you are in the ball park. When I was in the states in May, the top model was $40kus, the V6 $25kus. pity those prices aren't here !!
Old 26-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #49
GULL
TuRbO

The back end reminds me of a Mazda RX8
GULL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #50
greens_tuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULL
The back end reminds me of a Mazda RX8
I'm with ya on that one, and the wheels too...
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #51
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
The top left hand gauge seems to be a "torque gauge"....... WTF. Never heard or seen one of these before.
Just imagine if Holden fitted a torque gauge to the new 3 litre V6, it would barely move.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #52
barbarian
Banned

It'll take a 370z over it any day tank you very much..

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 26-08-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Off topic
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #53
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian
It'll take a 370z over it any day tank you very much..
The 370z looks too "ginza" syule for me.
Least the camaro, challenger and mustang are good looking cars.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #54
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

the font on the speedo and tacho are the same as XA and XB's
Old 27-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #55
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

Just got an email through from Performax regarding the launch of the new camaro in Oct, might look into wouldnt mind seeing this thing.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #56
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Performax hasn't officially said but you are in the ball park. When I was in the states in May, the top model was $40kus, the V6 $25kus. pity those prices aren't here !!
I spoke to Performax a few months back regarding an order of one in auto but none were here as yet only had the manual. they did say around the 155k mark for the ss version.

Nice car and all but would rather look into something from germany for that sort of coin.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #57
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Camaro hopes crushed

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25775400097F6E

Quote:
Chev muscle car set for UK in left-hand drive, leaving Australia out in cold
2 July 2010
By RON HAMMERTON
DWINDLING hopes of a factory-built right-hand-drive Chevrolet Camaro for Australia appear to have been snuffed out by a General Motors decision to introduce the Australian-designed and engineered, Canadian-built muscle car into Britain as left-hand drive boutique model.

Chevrolet UK took the opportunity of an appearance of the Camaro at the Goodwood Moving Motor Show this week to announce that it would sell the two-door coupe in Britain from 2011, in top-shelf 6.2-litre 318kW V8 SS guise.

But according to Autoexpress, the vehicle will be sold only in left-hand drive for the time being – a move that seemingly dashes any hope of an early right-hand-drive variant that could have opened the door for the introduction of the car to Australia, in this generation at least.

And although the official Chevrolet media release did not spell out details such as projected sales volumes, Autoexpress said Chevrolet UK planned to sell only 100 vehicles a year starting in May 2011, and would follow up with the Camaro Convertible later in the year.

Holden senior manager product communications Jonathan Rose told GoAuto that the Camaro was still “not on the horizon” for Australia.

“While this is a brilliant car and one that we have a real soft-spot for, given the work we undertook on it, there’s not plan to introduce it at this stage,” he said.

Just six months ago, then GM vice chairman Bob Lutz said at the Detroit motor show that he was still confident the Camaro would go into right-hand drive production.

“The Camaro at some point will be factory right-hand drive. That is what we are currently looking at with a great deal of focus,” Mr Lutz said.

“It would be built in the plant in Canada and shipped from here in right-hand drive for right-hand drive markets and, you know, why not?” he said.

But Mr Lutz has gone, and the UK decision to go with left-hand drive sales indicates that a right-hand-drive version is still at least a couple of years away, and maybe never.

Without sales support from high-volume right-hand-drive markets such as the UK and Japan, Holden has little hope of proving a business case for Australia, with its projected small volumes.

One of the few ways Australian drivers can lay their hands on a right-hand-drive Camaro is to buy a converted car from Queensland-based Performax International for $139,000 driveaway.

Although GM formally announced that development of a factory right-hand-drive Camaro had been killed off in early 2009, at the height of the global financial crisis, talk of a resumption of RHD planning has surfaced from time to time, seemingly nudged along by Camaro champion Mr Lutz.

The Camaro is built on the Holden-engineered Zeta rear-drive architecture, and was penned at Holden’s Port Melbourne design centre.

The Holden design – which was GM’s second attempt after GM powerbrokers baulked at the original concept done in Detroit – won the 2010 World Car of the Year award.

Like most sports cars, sales soared in the first 12 months after it was launched in the US in April 2009, but volumes have slowed this year, down 19 per cent year to date.

Chevrolet is hoping the volumes will receive a kick along with the release of the convertible version in the first quarter of 2011.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #58
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
I just love that people are paying a premium to import an Australian designed and prototype built car back into Australia via America just simply because its American but its in fact Australian.

I dont know if anyone else sees the humor in it but I do py:
its even funnier now that it isnt coming to australia. LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #59
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
its even funnier now that it isnt coming to australia. LOLOLOLOLOLOL
one can never say never
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #60
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Shame, i liked the Camaro, not as much as the 2011 Mustang but i still like it.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post