Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-03-2005, 10:18 AM   #31
buickman
buickman

If it gets another person into an XR6 AU its worth the effort.
When I first joined I only knew the basics myself, we all have to learn at some time."

Although i dont post that much i certainly go through the forums for advice etc. Casper your efforts have certainly put another person in an au II xr6. Being a p plater i'm into fast jap turbo's and the usual commodore. But after heaps of research and test driving i feel in love with the 01 AUII XR6 vct. what pushed me to really get it was your impressive quater mile times, help and mods that u have done on the car...Thanks a bunch mate!!!

HERM...............................[/QUOTE]

The performance jap cars are very quick but can be headaches to own as spare parts can be expensive and if under 30 which must lovers of these type of cars are insurance companies will hit you hard if at all to insure you.The police will eventully pull you over as most will fail a roadworthy and be defected. I've seen them in import car yards while looking with a nephew who brought a WRX clubspec in the end with blow of valves and some with external wastgates. Must be dodgie roadworthies to sell them.
A wise move to by a perforamce car sold through large car maker dealerships in Australia plus a ford at that.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 10:37 AM   #32
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
Although i dont post that much i certainly go through the forums for advice etc. Casper your efforts have certainly put another person in an au II xr6. Being a p plater i'm into fast jap turbo's and the usual commodore. But after heaps of research and test driving i feel in love with the 01 AUII XR6 vct. what pushed me to really get it was your impressive quater mile times, help and mods that u have done on the car...Thanks a bunch mate!!!

HERM...............................
Warm and fuzzies
Just glad it was of some use to you. Feel free to join in more because the more the better. I am for from knowing even half of what there is to know about the AU but as we all join in and share we all learn.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #33
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Ok, power wise the Falcon I6 has, in general, had a greater kw output and Torque output than the corresponding Holden. The Holden has usually kept the 0-100 and ¼ edge by having slightly better gearing and a lighter weight…although this starting to even out.

As for the VCT/Intech/HP type of engines. There were, in the AU, 3 types of I6 engine. The standard Intech 6, as seen on the majority of Falcons. The HP, used only in the XR6 HP model….an uprated (improved head, more aggressive cam) version of the Intect6. Finally there was the VCT. Used in the XR6 VCT, the Fairmont Ghia and the Fairlane Ghia (and LTD I think), it was the most powerful of the stock I6 engines due to the VCT (Variable Cam Timing) in it. It is, also, the least understood and least modification supported engine of the 3 as there really isn’t any aftermarket cams to upgrade to. While being more powerful, all the VCT equipped cars were also fitted with the fantastic but very heavy IRS rear suspension. While improving the ride noticeably it also added enough weight to make the XR6 VCT slower (by about 0.3 of a second) than the XR6 HP.

I read an artical that ford had done a good job at getting the OHC 6 VCT mtr as a all round package in the AU's.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #34
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I read an artical that ford had done a good job at getting the OHC 6 VCT mtr as a all round package in the AU's.

buickman
It's a very good engine. It was badly hobbled by the ECU though. My personal suspision is that this was deliberate. At the time of release the 5.0l only had 185kw, the VCT started with 172kw. Had the ECU been tuned even half decently the VCT probably would have had the same or more power than the 5.0l, not good for V8 sales at all.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #35
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

It was only 3 kW shy of the 175 kW V8 option available outside the XR8 as well, can't have it eating too heavily too early into the Windsor!