Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #31
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Default Re: Videos: Ford straps engineers in 2013 Taurus SHO with Carl Edwards, hilarity ensues

Fun bunch of ads. I quite like the car and wouldn't hesitate taking one for a test drive if we ever get the opportunity.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #32
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Videos: Ford straps engineers in 2013 Taurus SHO with Carl Edwards, hilarity ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
Another example of Fords dilemma in Australia, a reasonable looking car which could replace Falcon, however its a fat lump, no more economical than falcon is now, so they toss a 2 liter ecoboost, to make it economical, in it and then it cant suck the skin off a rice pudding.
This current model Taurus will NEVER replace Falcon. That cannot be stressed enough.

If next gen Taurus/stretched EUCD/Global D platform does replace Falcon for 2016 it will be a much different car, based on a sedan floorpan for a start.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #33
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any of you experts driven one....Just as I thought.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #34
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
I drove an SHO prior to this restyle--it made the same power, though.

I wasn't on a track, so I didn't get to drift the thing, but the acceleration and braking were great!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #35
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Did scruby just create that pedestrian council and make himself their king? I'm a pedestrian when I take my dog for a walk or can't be bothered driving and I dont want him representing me.
The taurus is a tasty bit of kit no doubt and that ad is awesome; unfortunately anything with fun in it is banned. Or taxed.

Yes he did just create it , membership Him . Self appointed self annointed sanctimonious ignorant wind bag .
Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
I drove an AWD Taurus two years ago and got a short ride in an SHO.
Unlike some self appointed experts here I can say I liked what Ford is trying to do with Taurus
but the D3 platform makes Taurus to big and hulkish for our market ... or does it?
See Falcon basically splits the mid and large size car markets by sitting on the edge
where as Fusion-Taurus combo explores the markets either side of Falcon.

Jeez, I dunno whether another big car of any kind would do better than Falcon in our market,
that's the dilema for Ford globally, large car sales are shrinking here and in the US and they
now ask, does it matter which platform base you chose RWD or FWD for such limited sales.

FoA are smart, they have been evolving Falcon using One Ford bits for the past five years,
that's why it still has a fighting chance versus Mondeo-Taurus combo, the choice is lineball.

One thing's for sure, Holden's post 2016 car is most likely going to be FWD/AWD Impala
should FoA follow them or take a different tack and try to pick up disaffected RWD fans?

Questions, questions and more questions......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #37
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Lock in option 2 please.

Lukeyson
Old 06-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #38
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Which is it, has or had?

And yes it is whoopty doo, 2014 Falcon gets $103 million while a fortune gets spent on next gen Taurus.
It's getting increasingly hard to say no to good global products, especially when Falcon sales keep low..

As 900-1200/mth sales continue, it's becoming quite clear how many fleet and retail buyers no longer want the Falcon..
1 million a year sales, over 60 brands. Comparatively, Taurus is doing worse.

I use has/had as I don't if they will be an Australian RWD Falcon after 2016. And with it the continuing weight trimming here and there.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #39
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I drove an AWD Taurus two years ago and got a short ride in an SHO.
Unlike some self appointed experts here I can say I liked what Ford is trying to do with Taurus
but the D3 platform makes Taurus to big and hulkish for our market ... or does it?
See Falcon basically splits the mid and large size car markets by sitting on the edge
where as Fusion-Taurus combo explores the markets either side of Falcon.

Jeez, I dunno whether another big car of any kind would do better than Falcon in our market,
that's the dilema for Ford globally, large car sales are shrinking here and in the US and they
now ask, does it matter which platform base you chose RWD or FWD for such limited sales.

FoA are smart, they have been evolving Falcon using One Ford bits for the past five years,
that's why it still has a fighting chance versus Mondeo-Taurus combo, the choice is lineball.

One thing's for sure, Holden's post 2016 car is most likely going to be FWD/AWD Impala
should FoA follow them or take a different tack and try to pick up disaffected RWD fans?

Questions, questions and more questions......
It would make more sense surely to have something else to share with Mustang rather than spending money stretching their D segment vehicles. If their can't be one off's under One Ford anymore... than Mustang is gonna have to fit in with that. If they want to to go around the world again... it's gonna have to be the sports car it needs to be for Europe also.

FoA have been clever by making a swiss army knife out of FG. It's good weight for an E segment vehicle, it takes three engines with three different cylinder counts. It's one of the safest vehicles on sale. It has numerous trims. It's a tad bigger than a Mondeo.. but bigger on the inside. As we can see, trying to kill of the Falcon is a hard task as it fits in so well. If Ford say they're going to commit to the E segment, then they need to get real, and decide what they're gonna do. V8's are still part of the future of the automobile, especially in luxury, and the Falcon is the only four door they have can slot one in.

Falcon sales can be attributed to a declining segment, but the number two selling car in this competitive market is still an E segment vehicle.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #40
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

There can be one-off regional platforms. Ford has stated that.

But there won't be many.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #41
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"I use has/had as I don't if they will be an Australian RWD Falcon after 2016. And with it the continuing weight trimming here and there."

Can you repeat that in English please ?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
1 million a year sales, over 60 brands. Comparatively, Taurus is doing worse.

I use has/had as I don't if they will be an Australian RWD Falcon after 2016. And with it the continuing weight trimming here and there.
Buntz, I hear your pain but Taurus is part of D3 platform which now attroacts around 20,000 to 25,000 sales a month
courtesy of Explorer, Flex, MKT and MKS as well as new Police interceptors coming.

Ford NA know they have to Maker Taurus lighter by shifting platforms, their confusion stems from
the no brainer extension on CD4 Fusion/Mondeo is not so straight forward with a very good
product in Falcon and Territory offering good differentiation for high series like Lincoln

It could go either way, what we need for our market would work with either RWD or FWD/AWD
and contrary to popular belief, Dearborn has been very understanding and supportive of Falcon
in a declining segment, they are not rushing to kill it as they respect FoA's decisions on its product.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #43
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Buntz, I hear your pain but Taurus is part of D3 platform which now attroacts around 20,000 to 25,000 sales a month
courtesy of Explorer, Flex, MKT and MKS as well as new Police interceptors coming.
five top hats in a market of three hundred million consumers. So really it's not that great. And its getting to that time where they need to make a decision. And our local products could make a very good business case in Ford NA's lineup.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #44
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It could go either way, what we need for our market would work with either RWD or FWD/AWD
and contrary to popular belief, Dearborn has been very understanding and supportive of Falcon
in a declining segment, they are not rushing to kill it as they respect FoA's decisions on its product.

If the post-2016 commodore does indeed turn out to be based on the FWD/AWD Impala then I think Ford Australia's decision will be made for them...unless a tie-up with Lincoln is still bubbling away on the back-burner?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #45
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
If the post-2016 commodore does indeed turn out to be based on the FWD/AWD Impala then I think Ford Australia's decision will be made for them...unless a tie-up with Lincoln is still bubbling away on the back-burner?
One of the major contributors on GMinsidenews.com who has seriously good links to GM
claims to have seen the plan for post 2016 Holden and it is the Impala (large Epsilon FWD/AWD)

At the moment, Falcon survives because it costs less to keep going with small updates
then spending larger sums to switch development of RHD Taurus of any kind and close down
plant infrastructure here, especially when the government is committed to funding local manufacturing..

Not as cut and dried as many make out...

Since Falcon has EUCD door and side frame technology, it may be cheaper to go with evolution,
a EUCD wiring harness and just use more common parts like US or Euro engines and switch gear.
An evolved Falcon may still be cheaper to do than a global platform but that doesn't address
if it will continue being built here or over in Thailand...

Last edited by jpd80; 06-04-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #46
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Ford US will have no qualm keeping the Mustang on an orphan platform. It is already benefitting by use of F150 engines and auto trans, Transit manual and global electronics. The only hurdle left is suspension modules and that is the ONLY thing Ford Aus has to provide, and the current tech isn't even that bad.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #47
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
If commodore goes and it's replacement is fwd/awd it gives FOA a great opportunity to establish a point of difference. Not just with regard to drivetrain differences but also the "Aussie" factor.

Impala coming here could be just what falcon needs. Or I could be clinging to the last shreds of hope.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
If commodore goes and it's replacement is fwd/awd it gives FOA a great opportunity to establish a point of difference. Not just with regard to drivetrain differences but also the "Aussie" factor.

Impala coming here could be just what falcon needs. Or I could be clinging to the last shreds of hope.
1) keep the RWD floor pan
2) Continue using EUCD door and side frame tech
3) common wiring harness and ECUs
4) Global engines like I-4 EB, V6, V8 and V6 diesel

It may still be cheaper to rejigger E8 Falcon than to bother configuring RHD next gen Taurus.
The other question to as k is whether govt funding covers building it here or Thailand?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #49
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
1) keep the RWD floor pan
2) Continue using EUCD door and side frame tech
3) common wiring harness and ECUs
4) Global engines like I-4 EB, V6, V8 and V6 diesel

It may still be cheaper to rejigger E8 Falcon than to bother configuring RHD next gen Taurus.
The other question to as k is whether govt funding covers building it here or Thailand?
Maybe there's a chance that this whole 'One Ford' thing isn't the disaster that I feared it would be. It would be cheaper (especially considering resultant sales) to integrate global Ford technology than to replace the Falcon with the Taurus. This allows for the possibility of using Fiesta/Mondeo stereo/entertainment systems, manual transmissions, and most importantly, EcoBoost engines (which we are witnessing happening right now). The Falcon's platform could be shared by the Mustang, creating a 'Falcon bred Mustang', bringing the Mustang's spirit closer to where it was before everything went awry with the Mustang II debacle. It would give the Mustang handling and steering to rival the M3 rather than the XD Falcon.

As well as this, plenty of the aforementioned 'under the skin' components could be shared with the Falcon. It'd be great to see the Falcon and Euro Fords more connected than ever. I'd love to see the next generation Falcon styled by those who styled the Fiesta.

Then again, the integration of global Ford technology in the Falcon's rear suspension was a complete failure...

Just one thing: A V6 is the absolute LAST thing the Falcon needs. I am a dyed in the wool Ford fan (so don't think that I'm one of those closet Holden trolls), and it would pain me greatly to see Ford following the torqueless path that Holden did in 1988. I would throw all my Ford/Falcon merchandise and clothing on a bonfire if the Falcon was released with a V6. What does the V6 offer that EcoBoost doesn't? As for a diesel option, I hear that Ford of Europe have an excellent 2.2L diesel which they offer in the Mondeo.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #50
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF

Ford already have a point of difference, that being the jewel of an engine residing under its bonnet, as well as far superior driving dynamics. However, many would not see the difference between the two. For many, a 'six' is a 'six'. Notice that Holden does not advertise that their cars feature a V6, only a 'six'? I cry a little inside whenever people refer to a Falcon 'V6'. For many, even on this forum, RWD=good dynamics and FWD=understeer, and as such do not understand why I do not like the Commodore.

This, however, gives an easily marketable point of difference between the RWD Ford and FWD Holden. The Holden can easily be made to seem like an 'econobox', causing the Commodore's traditional customer base to flock away from it and to the Falcon.

Holden would just find a way to market their cars as still being more Aussie, though. That's Holden for you. Everything about Holden cars is decidedly average with the exception of the way they are marketed.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
Maybe there's a chance that this whole 'One Ford' thing isn't the disaster that I feared it would be. It would be cheaper (especially considering resultant sales) to integrate global Ford technology than to replace the Falcon with the Taurus. This allows for the possibility of using Fiesta/Mondeo stereo/entertainment systems, manual transmissions, and most importantly, EcoBoost engines (which we are witnessing happening right now). The Falcon's platform could be shared by the Mustang, creating a 'Falcon bred Mustang', bringing the Mustang's spirit closer to where it was before everything went awry with the Mustang II debacle. It would give the Mustang handling and steering to rival the M3 rather than the XD Falcon.

As well as this, plenty of the aforementioned 'under the skin' components could be shared with the Falcon. It'd be great to see the Falcon and Euro Fords more connected than ever. I'd love to see the next generation Falcon styled by those who styled the Fiesta.
OK, now you're getting the idea of "One Ford" which is to exact savings through scales of economy,
In high volume markets, that means global products and large supplier contracts
but in regional areas it means using existing tech, architecture, power trains, off the shelf stuff
to improve the standard and equipment levels of vehicles like the Falcon that would normally miss out.

Quote:
Then again, the integration of global Ford technology in the Falcon's rear suspension was a complete failure...
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one as the CB IRS has been given upgraded bushes and axles.

Quote:
Just one thing: A V6 is the absolute LAST thing the Falcon needs. I am a dyed in the wool Ford fan (so don't think that I'm one of those closet Holden trolls), and it would pain me greatly to see Ford following the torqueless path that Holden did in 1988. I would throw all my Ford/Falcon merchandise and clothing on a bonfire if the Falcon was released with a V6. What does the V6 offer that EcoBoost doesn't? As for a diesel option, I hear that Ford of Europe have an excellent 2.2L diesel which they offer in the Mondeo.
Here's a clue about One Ford, it was less costly to upgrade the I-6 as opposed to modifying Falcon for the V6.
Absolutely not happening for the next four years and even if the I-6 sales collapsed, I have a feeling that
Ford would run through on stockpiled engines and Ecoboost I-4. the I-6T possibly replaced by 5.0 V8 (Unlikely I know).

Mondeo's 2.0 and 2.2 diesels are flamin' unobtainium and that's the reason why:
1) Mondeo sales are relatively low
2) there's no plans to build Mondeo in Asia
3) Ford recons Asia prefers Ecoboost anyway
4) And that why there's no plans to build PSA diesels in Asia

The above is so frustrating, FoA could build Mondeo and assemble I-4 diesel engines for above..

And yes' there's a RWD version of the Ford built 2.2 PSA diesel used by Jaguar for the XF
so is available in some ways I guess, the point being that Ford has access to resources

All through using "One Ford".
Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #52
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
At the moment, Falcon survives because it costs less to keep going with small updates
That's what kept the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis alive so long.

And I see more Mustang II bashing above. That car was absolutely right for its time, and sold very well. All performance cars were crap in that era (with the possible exception of Super Duty Pontiacs).
Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #53
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
That's what kept the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis alive so long.

And I see more Mustang II bashing above. That car was absolutely right for its time, and sold very well. All performance cars were crap in that era (with the possible exception of Super Duty Pontiacs).
All those early unleaded car struggled until car makers had access to more technology,
Australia waited 10 years before switching to ULP in 1986, when technology matured.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #54
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
The Falcon's platform could be shared by the Mustang, creating a 'Falcon bred Mustang', bringing the Mustang's spirit closer to where it was before everything went awry with the Mustang II debacle. It would give the Mustang handling and steering to rival the M3 rather than the XD Falcon
Because Ford really need a fat platform for their flagship like GM and Chrysler. Mustang now more than ever needs its dedicated platform as GM wakes up and shifts Camaro AWAY from its Commodore derived platform.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #55
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Well, the next Mustang is only one model year away. Once its chassis is revealed, that should make the future a lot more clear.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
Well, the next Mustang is only one model year away. Once its chassis is revealed, that should make the future a lot more clear.
Actually, I've been told by someone attached to that 2005 Mustang project that after the IRS rear was torn up and redone as SRA,
there was a very short time line where FNA and FoA engineers were working on a common IRS using an adapted Falcon rear end
but the major stumbling block believe it or not was Territory, as it was in final lock up and the IRS pick up points couldn't be changed.

I have a feeling that we are all looking at this pants on backwards, don't try to adapt a sedan IRS to a coupe, go the other way
by designing an IRS that fits in a very restricted situation around a saddle gas tank and then evolve it to the sedan and SUV...
Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #57
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, all I know is I'd love to take the Taurus out for a spin on the tracks. But sadly, a test drive would be limited to "just the streets." And I like these commercials, it's new, fun, and exciting! imo.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #58
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a shame the torque gets restricted to 350 lb-ft on the D3 cars, instead of its 420. That extra torque would do wonders (or damage) on the SHO and Explorer Sport
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #59
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Saw the Taurus in the flesh last week. It's a great looking well equipped car.
I dont even mind that it's slightly smaller than the current FG.

That said, I'm not buying a FWD car or even an AWD car that is torque reactive. Ill buy either the last FG or the 1st of the new RWD falcons (if they make one).
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #60
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Saw the Taurus in the flesh last week. It's a great looking well equipped car.
I dont even mind that it's slightly smaller than the current FG.

Taurus is much bigger in size than Falcon, it's Fairlane length and around 125 mm wider too, that's why it's also 120 kg heavier