Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-12-2005, 10:15 PM   #31
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Funny stuff. Nothing wrong with ford as a first name as there are a lot worse and it's not so much the name of a kid that will get put on him but other things like features and how he interacts with other kids that count most.Christ my last names mustard and l have a big nose and l survived school ok and now have a beutiful wife and kids so lets not worry too much about the unknown. You get my vote. Just dont make his middle name pills. :
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 10:16 PM   #32
fasty

I wouldn't inflict Gerardine on my son or daughter. Sorry mate no offense but people say that about Ford too. How are you today??? Emotionally stable??? Yes is my bet, so a name is a name.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #33
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasty
I wouldn't inflict Gerardine on my son or daughter. Sorry mate no offense but people say that about Ford too. How are you today??? Emotionally stable??? Yes is my bet, so a name is a name.
No offence taken, as I said I don't like my name either.

As for the emotionally stable part, well thats another story entirely.... :
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 10:24 PM   #34
fasty

Sorry mate!!!! It's all good come along to the creek. I'll cheer you up with a good show from an AU!!
Old 26-12-2005, 10:31 PM   #35
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Good on you for having the guts to choose a name you like. The name is the last thing the kids will choose to attack at school. All kids get teased at some point at school, so dont worry about it. I got teased about my curly hair every day of my school life, and it motivated me to be achieve more than i probably would have otherwise. Teach him to stick up for himself early, and the teasing will be minimal. ;)
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #36
Sloth

I know of a little maori kid and his name is Holden.
Old 26-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #37
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sticks and stones may break my bones...but names will never hurt me......Capiche!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #38
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Thank god we dont name them after our forums names!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 11:02 PM   #39
fasty

Here,here!!!!
Old 26-12-2005, 11:04 PM   #40
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Thank god we dont name them after our forums names!
Unlike our pets... Hmmmm? :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #41
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Well, I have 2 sons. 1 named Karl (gee, he could be confused with Karl Marx and called a communist)
More likely Karl Benz - and Karl is considered a regular first name

[quote=chief]Well at least its not something daft like Apple (Gwyneth Paltrow's child) or CoCo (some other celebrities child name).[quote]

At least they can afford the therapy

I'd say pick a more conventional name, otherwise he'll be more likely to be singled out by other kids - all because you thought it sounded cool
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 11:14 PM   #42
fasty

NUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His name is FORD!!!!!!!!!! Get over it, deal with. Cool if you don't like it well I don't like your kids names!!!
Old 26-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #43
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On ya mate for sticking up for your self. I think it sounds strong,and masculine. Certainly better than Edsell or Shidded. :hihi:
Old 26-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #44
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Sticks and stones may break my bones...but names will never hurt me......Capiche!
My mum tried that on me whenever I came home from school crying because some group of kids had teased me.

Names can hurt just as much, if not more.
Broken bones and grazed knees heal, but a child's self esteem is a far more delicate thing.

Mine still hasn't recovered. :gren:
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #45
gmhdriver
Banned

Fair enough it is your choice after all. I am a Holden man just as much as you are a Ford man but would never ever consider calling my son Holden.
Personally I would be putting my passion towards a car brand aside and would be focusing on the child's feelings and how the name would affect him in the future - he will be the one stuck with the name after all.
It may all sound great to you now but how will you feel in a few years time when he comes home from school in tears every day?

Anyhow, it is your choice and good luck with it.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 11:30 PM   #46
fasty

Yes but females generally take things to heart more than boys. We will raise him to just shrug it off his shoulders and to hold his head high and be proud of who he is and why he is who he is.
Old 26-12-2005, 11:33 PM   #47
fasty

It isn't just about the car FORD We like the car and we like the name. My passion for the child is far more important than my feelings towards a car and that will be reflected in the way he is raised and in the way he handles social interactions with other children.
Old 26-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #48
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

I know a couple who have called their son Ford, they think its a great name! He hasnt copped any flack yet, but he's only 3. Stick to what you want to name your son...

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 11:52 PM   #49
awsome4.0
Banned

I like the name ford not only because of the car but it also means river crossing so that could mean anything he comes across he can find a way to get over it. Its a strong name so i would go with it.
my boy is due on friday (c section nice and easy) we were going to call him Ambrose Ford Hill but we have decided on Jace Ambrose Hill as my name is jason i wanted to name him after 2 pretty cool Tasmanian blokes. your son may cop some s### over his name but so do 99% of kids so go for it :eclipsee_
awsome4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 11:56 PM   #50
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
Good on you for having the guts to choose a name you like. The name is the last thing the kids will choose to attack at school. All kids get teased at some point at school, so dont worry about it. I got teased about my curly hair every day of my school life, and it motivated me to be achieve more than i probably would have otherwise. Teach him to stick up for himself early, and the teasing will be minimal. ;)
You've got to be kidding? Hey would I get your praise if I called my boy "Holden Suck"? And the name is the last thing that kids tease you about? Sounds like a pub contest and everyone's drunk.
Maybe you went to Oxford but in every other school in the country you'll get teased about anything from names, weight, hair, interest and anything else.

Put Ford in as his middle name, but not what he'll be putting on forms for the rest of his life. What if he wants some casual job at a Holden dealer, or anywhere other than Ford?

Call me rude, and fair enough because it's your kid, but I can't understand how you're naming you child something to impress everyone else.
Quote:
Yes but females generally take things to heart more than boys.
That's crap. Boys do too, they just don't tell anyone untill they've done something stupid. How many girls have gone to school and shot anyone they didn't like? Ummm... None. How many boys? I've lost count. The comment that boys shrug bulling off is completely wrong. It's builds up and up until it exploads and you won't be there 24/7 for them.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #51
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco351
Put Ford in as his middle name, but not what he'll be putting on forms for the rest of his life.
I agree, it would be absolutely fine as a middle name, but as a first name it's a little harsh.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:03 AM   #52
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

We thought about it for one of our sons, but decided against it. You could name him so that his initials backwards spell ford - something like David Robert Owen Farnsworth. But as a first name, Ford is not way out there like Mustafa or something. It could be worse - Maytag! Or Laminge.

Oh, to get an AU in there, you would need a name like AUstin, pAUl, etc.

Oh, those ideas to put Ford as his middle name are OK, but you could always just give him a more "conventional" middle name like John or something and even though his real name is Ford, you just call him John. My brother in law is Anthony Francis - he is know to all but workmates as Frank (has been since birth), and at work he is Tony. I also had a mate who was known as Steve by family, friends, teachers etc, even though it wasn't even one of his names - his real name was Gary Blair.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:07 AM   #53
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
My mum tried that on me whenever I came home from school crying because some group of kids had teased me.

Names can hurt just as much, if not more.
Broken bones and grazed knees heal, but a child's self esteem is a far more delicate thing.

Mine still hasn't recovered. :gren:
What did your mother expect calling you feathers? LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #54
GT-E

I like the name Ford, I also liked the move Ford Fairlane, best blokes movie ever.
We are going to have a 2nd child and I want Jetson or Jet, yet I have been given crap from friends and Family about my choice in names. I will see in a few months if I still like it and if the wife is keen.
I say stick with it as it will be unique and all kids get teased anyway. Just tell him to hit any Holden lovers as they will deserve it.
GT-E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #55
Aeron
DJR Fan

Ford = Cool name

Good work mate!!
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:11 AM   #56
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasty
Yes but females generally take things to heart more than boys. We will raise him to just shrug it off his shoulders and to hold his head high and be proud of who he is and why he is who he is.
I wouldn't say that mate. My initials are AMP, and because of that, I copped a lot of flack during High School. I then tried in vain to get people to call me by a more acceptable nickname, like Paxton, however it wouldn't stick. Fortunately today, I am in-charge of a team of people, and they call me AMP, (pronounced amp - like amplifier) they get reprimanded.

Ford is a car brand. I understand that you like the brand, but when I was born, my father was a Chrysler fan - yes I am that old. The first car I was ever in was a Chrysler Valiant, a 1974 model. I am not called Chrysler, however today, my Father is a Ford fan. He drives a Fairlane. Look at a "normal" name for the first name, and use Ford as a middle name, and then allow him to choose. It will save him much heartache, as the children most likely to get teased, are those who have odd names - just something I remember from school.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:11 AM   #57
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you should call him Skiddy, seeing you love burn out comps so much

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:14 AM   #58
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
but when I was born, my father was a Chrysler fan - yes I am that old..
Jeez that is old, did you ever have a terradactle as a pet.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #59
awsome4.0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
I like the name Ford, I also liked the move Ford Fairlane, best blokes movie ever.
We are going to have a 2nd child and I want Jetson or Jet, yet I have been given crap from friends and Family about my choice in names. I will see in a few months if I still like it and if the wife is keen.
I say stick with it as it will be unique and all kids get teased anyway. Just tell him to hit any Holden lovers as they will deserve it.
And after he hits them tell him to say "and thats for murphy for the 2005 bathhurst hit you cheating pr###s"
awsome4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #60
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Jeez that is old, did you ever have a terradactle as a pet.

A goldfish and a Dog. Terradactles were around in my parents day although :
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post