Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #31
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: Holden's "V8 sports car" post 2017?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
When has a large car company just welched on a model they confirmed in a press release? I haven't known Holden to do that
... I'm looking for the sarcasm flags.

Two candidates that come to mind:

(1) The Monaro 427 - announced convincingly enough that it was allowed into a production car race, and then abandoned.

(2) 'We're going to build the Commodore in Australia until 2020' announcement, which they backflipped on when Ford announced their closure first.

Lukeyson
Old 05-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #32
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier View Post

(1) The Monaro 427 - announced convincingly enough that it was allowed into a production car race, and then abandoned.

(2) 'We're going to build the Commodore in Australia until 2020' announcement, which they backflipped on when Ford announced their closure first.

Lukeyson
Well the first was HSV, so its a bit unfair to blame Holden for that. You nailed the second though as Ford went for the triple whammy with lowest sales, the earliest plant closure and announced it all during the VF media launch day. Ford for the win there.

Somehow I think the Mustang is safe with the affordable V8 crown for a while. Chrysler is really the only one that could upset the Mustangs sales in Australia.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #33
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

A Holden employee suggested that they have nothing in the pipeline, they just want to limit the damage to Mustang until they can confirm IF they will have something to offer, that info is 3rd hand, but sounds plausible to me

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
mtbkym01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #34
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is plausible . There will be no v8 holden following confirmation of now rhd Camaro

Cadillac too expensive and won't sell and corvette too expensive to sell in meaningful nos to validate rhd costs

They're so f......
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 01:58 AM   #35
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Personally....I think them calling it a "sports car", speaks volumes as to the type of car the next performance Holden hero car will be!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2015, 02:15 AM   #36
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Lukeyson
Bit spurious with the facts there. Holden building a car here was contingent on the second wave of funding between 2017-2022. The catalyst for withdrawal was the Government pulling the carpet out from underneath, then goading them during question time. This was after a long campaign to drum public indignation about co-investment in the automotive industry, that took none of the positives into account.

The 427 is a valid example to a degree; it was only going to be a limited run model. But they at least had an intention to build that, you're suggesting this is an outright lie- they have access to GM's future model plans so they know what's in the pipeline.
I'm going out on a limb and say based on the strength and certainty of the statements surrounding the "V8 sports car", that they have something picked out. They can't raise expectations like they if they have NO intention to follow through. It's bad PR.

The announcement was made in February, in a press release. They would have known Chev have no intention to make RHD Camaro at that stage because that was stated only months later. It's hard to see what the product could be, which is why I thought it would be interesting to speculate...
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2015, 02:59 AM   #37
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

Lukeyson
They were only ever going to build 50 Monaro HRT 427’s and it was canned because they couldn’t come up with a business plan to make it profitable.

http://www.motormag.com.au/news/1505...-427-for-sale/

http://www.motormag.com.au/features/...onaro-hrt-427/

They did eventually have another go but this time in a much cheaper and more sedate sedan form with the W427.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2015, 03:49 AM   #38
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Bit spurious with the facts there. Holden building a car here was contingent on the second wave of funding between 2017-2022. The catalyst for withdrawal was the Government pulling the carpet out from underneath, then goading them during question time. This was after a long campaign to drum public indignation about co-investment in the automotive industry, that took none of the positives into account.

The 427 is a valid example to a degree; it was only going to be a limited run model. But they at least had an intention to build that, you're suggesting this is an outright lie- they have access to GM's future model plans so they know what's in the pipeline.
I'm going out on a limb and say based on the strength and certainty of the statements surrounding the "V8 sports car", that they have something picked out. They can't raise expectations like they if they have NO intention to follow through. It's bad PR.

The announcement was made in February, in a press release. They would have known Chev have no intention to make RHD Camaro at that stage because that was stated only months later. It's hard to see what the product could be, which is why I thought it would be interesting to speculate...
Pretty sure ford had allready announced a long allready badly kept secret they were pulling out. This meant instantly manufacturing in Aus was not viable, for Holden of Toyota......even with commadore importing just about the whole car anyway.70ish%.
They then tried to blackmail the govco for double the cash. I spose, basically you could say they had two options.....start winding down, saving cash, or money grab and spend every last penny on one last Big Bang despite the inevitable. Leaving well over a billion dollar hole behind! Hmmmmm

Either way.....all facts aside.....Holden really hasnt been a beacon of shinning light when it comes to good ethical buissiness in Aus. The above mentioned backflips and promises are only the tip of a pretty sour grape.....one that's been covered to death on this forum.
And please nobody say..."oh but they sold heaps"

Last edited by 1TUFFUTE; 06-08-2015 at 03:54 AM.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2015, 07:11 AM   #39
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

Quote:

Out of interest, when was Mustang pricing released? Pretty sure it was around february.

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
mtbkym01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #40
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
And please nobody say..."oh but they sold heaps"
Oh but they sold heaps and heaps.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #41
Orangejuicepony

Does anyone think the latest update due in October (L99 V8) will appreciate in value?

Misses wants a bit more poke than what the outback has and likes the space and shape of the VF. I can't stand Australian made cars but I could put up with a 400HP V8 for $40k if it doesn't tank in value.
Orangejuicepony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #42
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejuicepony View Post
Does anyone think the latest update due in October (L99 V8) will appreciate in value?
Yeah but not in your lifetime.

Plus the L99 is usually associated with automatics and history shows the manual option tends command higher prices.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #43
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejuicepony View Post

Misses wants a bit more poke than what the outback has and likes the space and shape of the VF. I can't stand Australian made cars but I could put up with a 400HP V8 for $40k if it doesn't tank in value.
It will not appreciate in value - not for at least 50 years. It probably won't depreciate faster than any other mass manufactured vehicle though.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post