Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #31
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cheapest Insurance for P Platers?

they should pay the higher price if the cheaper one was obtained by fraud ( deliberate acts to get cheaper insurance by deception is fraud) if you own the car and insure it in someone elses name you are commiting insurance fraud which will render the policy void if you are caught not to mention criminal charges if caught claiming on a fraudulent policy
Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
I'm sorry but what makes it there duty to rightfully pay expensive insurance?

If you bought a particular TV for $2000 and then somebody else bought it elsewhere for $1500, does that make it wrong. Should they rightfully pay the higher price?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #32
Brownie12

thanks for all the advice guys, i rang around a few places today (GIO, NRMA, Budget Direct and Shannon's) all of which knocked me back and told me that they wont insure under 25's driving "high performance" cars like an XR6. I'm going to give aami a go over the phone tomorrow and if that's a no go i might have to look into insuring it in my parents name (which im reluctant to do). So i'll keep updating this thread day by day. cheers
Brownie12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #33
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
I'm sorry but what makes it there duty to rightfully pay expensive insurance?
Absolutely bloody nothing!!!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #34
mick10010

For cheap premiums, NRMA every time. They are hundreds of dollars cheaper than anyone else to insure my xr6 turbo as a 20 year old. With an agreed value of $22k and a $1k basic excess they are charging me $1600 PA to pay monthly.

I also insure my contents with them. They have been consistently VERY helpful and friendly on the phone although I have never had to make a claim with them, but let's hope it stays that way.
mick10010 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #35
mick10010

Misread a post, nevermind
mick10010 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #36
xy500
Constant annoyance

thats a first, an na xr6 a performance car?
Old 23-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #37
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie12
thanks for all the advice guys, i rang around a few places today (GIO, NRMA, Budget Direct and Shannon's) all of which knocked me back and told me that they wont insure under 25's driving "high performance" cars like an XR6. I'm going to give aami a go over the phone tomorrow and if that's a no go i might have to look into insuring it in my parents name (which im reluctant to do). So i'll keep updating this thread day by day. cheers
take in the specs of the NA xr6 and the XT then challenge them on the performance tag as they have exactly the same engine

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #38
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie12
wont insure under 25's driving "high performance" cars like an XR6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
take in the specs of the NA xr6 and the XT then challenge them on the performance tag as they have exactly the same engine
It's not so much that the insurance company labels it as a "performance car" due to technical aspects, but more so because they think people driving the XR's over standard falcons are more likely to be a dangerous driver. More the psychological side of things. The "revheads" will buy the XR's. Just what I think is the basis behind there decisions.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #39
lowxr

racv first year p plater 2004 ba xr6 1800 is the best i got
lowxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #40
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Try bendigo bank .

Full comp cost roughly just over $1000 . In my dad's name and I am listed as a driver.

($430 without me on the policy,, I know we get ripped off hardcore)
Hey plarazza, whats your experience with Bendigo Bank Insurance been like so far?

Is anyone else on FF with them for insurance? They're underwritten by CGU and I got a pretty competetive online quote from them the other day and I'm considering a switch. I'm with RACV atm.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #41
taxi driver

Well dont move to NZ then mate. Insurance over here is frightening for hipo or modded stuff. I disclosed to my insurance co last year that id modded My ED. My insurance co of 10 years just cancelled my policy. Im 35 with a spotless record.(they still wanted my other car and household).
I now just have 3rd party on my doer upper. Because it doesnt have shiny paint yet. Its unable to be insured For anything what it owes me. I decided i would be better off just retaining the wreak and selling the parts.Or buying another shell and swapping the bits over.
If you own the xr6 outright. Id say just get 3rd party and wear the risk. Unless you plan on writing the car off this year. As the car ages the sum insured drops but your premiums wont. If you crash the car after 4-5 years. Then the insurance payout will be less than your premiums over the life of the car.Or the net differance between the 3rd party and the full cover premiums.
taxi driver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #42
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
Hey plarazza, whats your experience with Bendigo Bank Insurance been like so far?

Is anyone else on FF with them for insurance? They're underwritten by CGU and I got a pretty competetive online quote from them the other day and I'm considering a switch. I'm with RACV atm.
Well I don't really have an answer for that one as this is only the second year ( just renewed a few days ago). However they are still cheaper than most other companies I searched and modifications barely made a difference to the premium. However I haven't made any claims or had any dealings with them so far so I cannot be entirely sure how they rate.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #43
Brownie12

Ok guys just an update. I called AAMI up and they quoted me $2600 (but at least they will accept me) i was beginning to think they were my only option but then i thought i'd try NRMA because my parents are members i might get a discount, and i did they said $1900 per year, $2200 without discount. Yes it's still expensive but i think it's the best comprehensive i'm gunna get. And i did have my dad ring a few places trying to insure it in his name but as soon as he mentioned my age the price went up by about a grand or so. Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it
Oh, and i'm looking at my XR6 this sunday so if all goes well i should have it by next weekend cheers guys
Brownie12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #44
NR1KEY

Hey mate!
i had the same problem with my ba xr6 mk11.
got quoeted 2900 min to 5700 max
from 7 different car insuransers.
the car is in mine name
but mum is down as 1st driver and im as second as im still on my l's and its only 900 through Elders,
try them mate.
its only 900 dollars till i hit 18 then goes to 3 grand.
ill only get 3rd party then..
not payin 3 grand a year,
enjoy

FOR SALE!!!
PDW 19" rims, and dba slotted rotors! Bendix ultimates! Only done 1000ks.
LINK Avalible here >>>>>> 19" rims" 600!
NR1KEY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #45
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowxr
racv first year p plater 2004 ba xr6 1800 is the best i got
Wtf? 1800? I got quoted over 4000 from racv first year p plater for my xr6. I was like stuff that, lol
XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #46
NR1KEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR037
Wtf? 1800? I got quoted over 4000 from racv first year p plater for my xr6. I was like stuff that, lol

haha yeah well!
i tried national bank (cause they asked if i had insurance yet)

quoted 5700 to insure me

FOR SALE!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #47
Brownie12

Another Update: I was in coles the other day and a brochure caught my eye about car insurance. so i gave them a ring and they quoted me $1100 for one years comprehensive. and you pay an extra 8 bucks a month for roadside assist. i'm sold, taking it out sometime next week. So if your having the same problem i did, give coles a try
Old 12-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #48
lowxr

i think it was cheap coz i got a dicount and i got road side assist but yeah everry 1 else were well over 3000 the joy of having an xr boys
lowxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #49
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One option no one has said, would be increase the excess to lower the premium. I know this might mean your have an excess of $2500 or there around. But you could get half price insurance at some places.

Oh and if you want to know how easy it is to for an insurance company to find out who is the regular driver. All they need to do is send out an investigator and ask your neighbours who drives the car everyday. Anyone says that they do not do this is in dream world.

And no matter what car you drive, in a suburb of Melbourne or Sydney you are going couple of thousand for insurance when your young, even on a BA XT you would be looking at similar prices.

Last edited by xisled; 12-05-2011 at 01:25 PM.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #50
gumbi_18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR1KEY
the car is in mine name
but mum is down as 1st driver and im as second as im still on my l's and its only 900 through Elders,
I use Elders for my Xr6t Ute. What I did was have my business buy the vehicle and have the car insured in the business name with myself as the main driver. Not everyone will have this option though. It brought my premium down to about $1200. I'm 22. Just Car wanted $3500. NRMA wanted $1950. AAMI wouldn't touch me. Shannon's quoted something stupid like $7500.

I don't mind paying the correct price for insurance - I knew that an Xr6t would be expensive to insure. What I do mind is having these companies rip me off because I'm young.
gumbi_18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #51
NR1KEY

I got mine to 600 as they quoted 900 for a xr6 mk11 turbo

FOR SALE!!!