Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #31
james22
With da Warlords

We already knew that lol, but anything would be an improvement over the Series 1 interior.... ewwww

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #32
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Esp. series 1 ex taxi's with wanna-be xr conversions :

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #33
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Esp. series 1 ex taxi's with wanna-be xr conversions :
: James... wanna hit him for me? as you both know how i got screwed over with the sale :(
Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #34
HLC
Audi S3

id say thats near impossible.

you would need to use all the BA elec gear for the aircon and all that stuff. as well as probably the cluster etc. cheaper to buy a BA if you want a BA interior basically.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #35
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy XR8
not being biased or anything but i think the AU interior is nicer as it has much smoother lines
Absolutely - why would anyone want the hard plasticy disjointed B-Series dash?

Now if you're going to put anything different in then look to an FG.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #36
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the B-series interiors too! I don't think there is as much leg room as the AU tho...but i like everything else..especially the xr dash when its lit up!
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #37
Foggy

:sm_headba Hey Blueprint this sounds like an interesting plan.
With regards to the ac controls your going to need to do some custom electronics and track down some industrial pnuematic activators for airflow control and a servo motor to run the heat control if you intend to keep the AU airbox etc.
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #38
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy
:sm_headba Hey Blueprint this sounds like an interesting plan.
With regards to the ac controls your going to need to do some custom electronics and track down some industrial pnuematic activators for airflow control and a servo motor to run the heat control if you intend to keep the AU airbox etc.
Thats what i am thinking : I can create my own circuit boards and buy all my electronic parts at good prices (jaycar mainly : )...

I dont need the original ICC based system for what i want... dont want that part integrated at all... so custom facia regardless is going to happen...
Old 02-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #39
b2tf
not here much anymore

It would be much more cost effective to buy an aftermarket headunit with touch screen etc and put that into your existing dash. As an example, Clarion make a double DIN touch screen with all the features - DVD, MP3, USB etc for $1499. Get this and the only thing a BA has that you dont are the aircon displays on your screen - go this way and you also get a touch screen.

I'm happy to be corrected but I reckon you'll find it impossible to properly integrate a BA style stup into your AU - you'll have to either do the whole lot (ie whole dash) or nothing. In terms of practicality, if I were you, I'd find a Fairmont Ghia interior from an AU3, whack that in, get a good headunit like the one I mentioned above and be done with it - with change from $3k, and everything will work.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #40
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
It would be much more cost effective to buy an aftermarket headunit with touch screen etc and put that into your existing dash. As an example, Clarion make a double DIN touch screen with all the features - DVD, MP3, USB etc for $1499. Get this and the only thing a BA has that you dont are the aircon displays on your screen - go this way and you also get a touch screen.

I'm happy to be corrected but I reckon you'll find it impossible to properly integrate a BA style stup into your AU - you'll have to either do the whole lot (ie whole dash) or nothing. In terms of practicality, if I were you, I'd find a Fairmont Ghia interior from an AU3, whack that in, get a good headunit like the one I mentioned above and be done with it - with change from $3k, and everything will work.
6to1, half dozen the other...

I was thinking of actually cutting up the BA ICC facia, installing my own independant screen, using an aftermarket H/U... and using the manual controls from the AU for the fans, aircon and stuff... basically only using the BA Dash as just the shell...
Old 04-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #41
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
6to1, half dozen the other...

I was thinking of actually cutting up the BA ICC facia, installing my own independant screen, using an aftermarket H/U... and using the manual controls from the AU for the fans, aircon and stuff... basically only using the BA Dash as just the shell...
was thinking the same thing... (Just spent a 10hour drive in the misses new BA Fairmont... got me thinking) what i would want from the a conversion would be the center console (AUs is ugly) whole dash including Working XT Heater controls, make a din hole where the stock cd player is and fit a aftermarket GPS (tomtom, Navman etc.) in replacement of the screen. A working BA Dash (XR) and working BA Passenger Airbag

Oh and would the doors close properly with BA doors and AU dash (lining up doesnt worry me) because looking at some now...)

so all we would need to figure out would be
- BA XT heater to AU (low series for me)
- BA XR Cluster to AU (low series for me)
- BA Passenger Airbag to AU

no worried about the screen or steering wheel... (atm)

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #42
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam.giles
was thinking the same thing... (Just spent a 10hour drive in the misses new BA Fairmont... got me thinking) what i would want from the a conversion would be the center console (AUs is ugly) whole dash including Working XT Heater controls, make a din hole where the stock cd player is and fit a aftermarket GPS (tomtom, Navman etc.) in replacement of the screen. A working BA Dash (XR) and working BA Passenger Airbag

Oh and would the doors close properly with BA doors and AU dash (lining up doesnt worry me) because looking at some now...)

so all we would need to figure out would be
- BA XT heater to AU (low series for me)
- BA XR Cluster to AU (low series for me)
- BA Passenger Airbag to AU

no worried about the screen or steering wheel... (atm)
Looks like i have someone as crazy as me :
Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #43
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Blueprint, if you just want to give your interior a lift why not look at replacing it with a S2/3 Fairmont dash.

A few guys have done it before - and that was a big enough job. IIRC it invoves changing the PCM and a few other things.

It looks way better than the low series dash and everything will fit. The car probably won't be off the road for as long as it will be if you go the BA route. When the time comes, it would be a lot easier to sell, too.

If you don't like the fake wood trim you can get it Modicoated. You could go for the TS50 look.

It be worthwhile finding a wrecked Fairmont/Ghia donor car and swapping everything over.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #44
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Blueprint, if you just want to give your interior a lift why not look at replacing it with a S2/3 Fairmont dash.

A few guys have done it before - and that was a big enough job. IIRC it invoves changing the PCM and a few other things.

It looks way better than the low series dash and everything will fit. The car probably won't be off the road for as long as it will be if you go the BA route. When the time comes, it would be a lot easier to sell, too.

If you don't like the fake wood trim you can get it Modicoated. You could go for the TS50 look.

It be worthwhile finding a wrecked Fairmont/Ghia donor car and swapping everything over.
I'm actually saving up to find a car to rebuild/mod... just aslong as it has a VCT engine loom, computer and stuff... then i'll be happy whatever the model... as it will be modded regardless...
Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #45
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Looks like i have someone as crazy as me :
yeap iv brought the BA XR door trims and scuff plates... have to rig up some rear power windows now :(

Was

Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #46
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

this is what iv brought... will see if i can pick them up this weekend

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #47
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

RE the BA Cluster found this in another thread... has some good points...
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
Possible if running dual ECU/BEM setup - but definiteley not feasable, unless your reaaaaaally (EXTREEMELEY) dead set on it.
at minimum it will be extremeley difficult - and confusing, and you'll come across allot of problems in the process.

You would leave your current ECU/BEM smartshield setup as it is to run the engine. You would then need to tap into all your sensor signal wires to run them to aditional looms for your BA ECU/BEM setup (the actual sensors themself, not just the dash return signal). The BA system would try to run the engine, but wouldnt be able to obviously if its not connected, but should still throw back the sensor signals you need to run the cluster, if this causes problems, you would need to experiment with resistors to let it think its doing things like firing injectors and sspark plugs.

The other alternative is to put AU Dash circuitry behind the BA cluster/facia, dont know which way would be simpler - if your good with a soldering iron and circuit boards probably the latter but you would basicaly need to build a custom cuircuit board.

Either way but both will require a LOT of man hours and confusion!.

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #48
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
RE the BA Cluster found this in another thread... has some good points...
Thanks for that... and i'm thinking about using the AU cluster loom and adapting that to the instruments...

As for the skins... you are already ahead of me... i've gotta buy another car to do up yet... :
Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #49
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Thanks for that... and i'm thinking about using the AU cluster loom and adapting that to the instruments...

As for the skins... you are already ahead of me... i've gotta buy another car to do up yet... :
your in NSW... theres a whole Black XR Interior (all seats and door trims) on ebay in nsw atm for under 500 no bids... ill find it if your keen... i paid 350 for just the doors and scuff plates...

yeah im thinking the same thing re the cluster...AU cluster bits inside BA cluster...

anyone have a pic of the back of a xt heater unit?

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #50
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
your in NSW... theres a whole Black XR Interior (all seats and door trims) on ebay in nsw atm for under 500 no bids... ill find it if your keen... i paid 350 for just the doors and scuff plates...

yeah im thinking the same thing re the cluster...AU cluster bits inside BA cluster...

anyone have a pic of the back of a xt heater unit?
Yeah, link me up...

Just had a gander through Ebay... I'm yet to find an actual BA dash...
Old 06-07-2008, 03:33 AM   #51
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BA-BF-Falcon-...QQcmdZViewItem
there you go... no dashs on there.. last one i seen went for $260 (BA XT No center console) BA heater controls will be alot of effort as they are controlled by the CAN thing...

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 06-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #52
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

SCUFF PLATES

are a direct fit and love it (as we already know lol)

DOOR TRIMS

(have only tried the front left)
the BA door trims are a direct fit...
But they are thicker at the front than the AU so the doors wont close with a AU dash... The door handle is a direct fit. the loom for the windows is different so ill figure out the wiring tomorrow...

hears a few pics...

this is the as far as the door will close before the dash touches the trim

also the BA door handles could be a good mod for stock with a new trim inset.. hears two pics... this is screwed in and working position...

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 06-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #53
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Interesting... you'll be alot more advanced than me in no time...

Plus i'm kinda busy with work, CAMS, Scouts and this Billy-Cart race (gotta do the design work)...
Old 06-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #54
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

bit of an update...

so iv slowed the full conversion down.. also decided i wanted the Red XR interior (seats and door trims) and have realized most sellers sell seats and trims as a pack...

so for now iv started to mod my black xr door trims to fit the AU dash... hear is some progress...

this show the part iv had to cut out to allow the doors to close... also have removed the speaker grill

you can see in the center (and just to the right) of this image that there is two holes... one with a white plastic thread in it and the other with paint scraped of around it(from me trying to remove the white thread bit)

The white plastic bit had to be moved for the door handle to screw into...(from top to bottom) so im wondering if the AU3 doors have wholes to fit BA trims? as there are a few others i will have to move like the two at the bottom of the door trim... also wonder if S1 and S2 doors have the whole to move the plastic thread bits too?(hope that makes sense)

and theres two of the door closed...

Cheers Cam

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 06-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #55
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

So you are going with the BA Seats and door trims only?

I'm going the Dash and door trims with AU seats :P (still havent found a dash...)
Old 06-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #56
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

much better interior in the AU then the B series, and i have seen many different interiors with all the LPG conversions we do. even the high series interiors leave much to be desired in the B series. but on the topic of B series interior fitting in other cars, i remember reading about the XD in PFM that did a full BA interior....didnt look to bad except for the fact that he used a big digital tacho/speedo screen instead of using the original jobbie

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #57
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Thats looks good Cam lots of work tho. I would like to try modifying the BA XR seat into the AU
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #58
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
Thats looks good Cam lots of work tho. I would like to try modifying the BA XR seat into the AU
The seats will go if you modify the rails if your handy around power tools and the like. I was the same like AU dash just wanted the seats, I disagree with a few in here (wearing flame suit) the AU XR seats are a pretty S$#%house bit of gear compared to the seats in my wifes XR6, so I went and got me some BA XR leather and cloth then fitted them.

Fitting BA seats to AU it took me roughly 6 hours with a bung back and blew up one drill in the process. Get 4 bits of 50mmx8mm flat bar cut to 440mm the measure up bolt holes from floor of the AU, mark and drill (thats how I blew my drill up),then you have to modify the BA rails to sit flat on top of the bar that you just made then drill/bolt or weld them to the flat bar and there you have it BA XR seats into AU. With a good drill and physical fitness can be done in a few hours maybe 4 IMO.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #59
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WITE
The seats will go if you modify the rails if your handy around power tools and the like. I was the same like AU dash just wanted the seats, I disagree with a few in here (wearing flame suit) the AU XR seats are a pretty S$#%house bit of gear compared to the seats in my wifes XR6, so I went and got me some BA XR leather and cloth then fitted them.

Fitting BA seats to AU it took me roughly 6 hours with a bung back and blew up one drill in the process. Get 4 bits of 50mmx8mm flat bar cut to 440mm the measure up bolt holes from floor of the AU, mark and drill (thats how I blew my drill up),then you have to modify the BA rails to sit flat on top of the bar that you just made then drill/bolt or weld them to the flat bar and there you have it BA XR seats into AU. With a good drill and physical fitness can be done in a few hours maybe 4 IMO.
Thanks for that... i'm sure not only Cam.Giles will use that info, but others on here aswell... as for me, I'm sticking with my comfortable Forte'III seats, that will be fixed up to match nicer. :
Old 06-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #60
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
much better interior in the AU then the B series, and i have seen many different interiors with all the LPG conversions we do. even the high series interiors leave much to be desired in the B series. but on the topic of B series interior fitting in other cars, i remember reading about the XD in PFM that did a full BA interior....didnt look to bad except for the fact that he used a big digital tacho/speedo screen instead of using the original jobbie
Au Interior...

BA Interior

which would you choose now?

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont