Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #31
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

personal opinion? i would never own a falcon that wasnt on gas
if i wanted to do ~15L/100klms of petrol i'd get a holden V8
Old 18-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #32
NICEBFUTE
Starter Motor

Thumbs up

Got a Parnell VSI system fitted to my BF XR6 ute, found the installation to be well done, the utes gone hard on gas from the day it was fitted, everyone who drives it cant tell the difference between both fuels. I reckon it actually goes harder on LPG than Petrol. I Enquired about the sprintgas system myself and was told the system was unrealible, something about injectors being dodgy.

Two thumbs up to LPG on Fords :hihi:
NICEBFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #33
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICEBFUTE
I Enquired about the sprintgas system myself and was told the system was unrealible, something about injectors being dodgy.

Two thumbs up to LPG on Fords :hihi:
the injectors and software were updated early this year on the sprintgas resolving all the issues . i had to wait for mine till the finished testing of the new system and the results are excelent . after how a forum member was treated by parnell i wouldn't trust them with a roller skate

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #34
NICEBFUTE
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the injectors and software were updated early this year on the sprintgas resolving all the issues . i had to wait for mine till the finished testing of the new system and the results are excelent . after how a forum member was treated by parnell i wouldn't trust them with a roller skate
Yeah, I read Schmidty's thread, my experience was the exact opposite. Wrapped with the way the ute performs.

You don't have shares in Sprintgas do you?
NICEBFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #35
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICEBFUTE
Yeah, I read Schmidty's thread, my experience was the exact opposite. Wrapped with the way the ute performs.

You don't have shares in Sprintgas do you?
God i wish he did... just so i could get a good discount
Old 18-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #36
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The OMVL Dream XXI (Sprintgas) system is excellent, cannot fault it myself. Some people have had problems with the old injectors in the past, but the new Keihin injectors seemed to have changed this.

Regards,
Dave
Old 18-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #37
No Judge
That's Numberwang!!!

Go dedicated GAS amisupposed2b.

A mate of mine has done it to his XF. Among others things, he removed the petrol tank completely and put the LPG tank in its place, and hello boot space... Being a grease monkey himself, kinda helped I suppose.

He says itll run 14-15sec on the 1/4mile, never seem him run personally, but i'd almost believe it given the way it drives on the street.

Anyway, dedcated gas IMO. Itll take some work (and $$$), but has its benefits.

FAIRMONT GHIA: SO GOOD, THEY NAMED THEY NEW FALCON AFTER 'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6 ausome
Nah the roads to high, your car can never be to low lol
No Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #38
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Judge
Go dedicated GAS amisupposed2b.

A mate of mine has done it to his XF. Among others things, he removed the petrol tank completely and put the LPG tank in its place, and hello boot space... Being a grease monkey himself, kinda helped I suppose.

He says itll run 14-15sec on the 1/4mile, never seem him run personally, but i'd almost believe it given the way it drives on the street.

Anyway, dedcated gas IMO. Itll take some work (and $$$), but has its benefits.
you can only do a mixerring system on dedicated gas AFAIK and a mixer ring is always going to be inferior to an injected system and no NICEBFUTE I don't have shares but have had 3 sprintgas systems including this SVI and they have all been excelent and my current SVI was better than expected

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 18-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #39
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you can only do a mixerring system on dedicated gas AFAIK and a mixer ring is always going to be inferior to an injected system and no NICEBFUTE I don't have shares but have had 3 sprintgas systems including this SVI and they have all been excelent and my current SVI was better than expected
I can't think of any reason why you couldn't have a dedicated SVI gas system, what would be the issues in doing this?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #40
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
I can't think of any reason why you couldn't have a dedicated SVI gas system, what would be the issues in doing this?
The SVI ECU needs a petrol ECU to calculate injection timings. SVI systems also start the car on petrol to preserve the starter motor of all things and also to help with lubrication and to prevent engine wear, not to mention preventing freezing of the regulator.

Regards,
Dave
Old 18-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #41
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
The SVI ECU needs a petrol ECU to calculate injection timings. SVI systems also start the car on petrol to preserve the starter motor of all things and also to help with lubrication and to prevent engine wear, not to mention preventing freezing of the regulator.

Regards,
Dave
XF's were available with the EFI option.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #42
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by amisupposed2b
I recently drove a petrol AU and wow, it does have a large difference...
I personally don't think it's a valid comparison - a petrol AU vs a high km LPG ex-taxi. The taxi will more than likely be a little slower than an equivalent non-taxi simply from being half (or totally!) clapped.

If the car is an E-Gas model, sell it and buy a petrol Falcon. There is alot missing from the E-Gas model, and to convert it to petrol would simply be a waste IMO.

If it's an aftermarket dual fuel setup, why not fix the petrol system as JC suggested?

Apart from all of the above, I think the price quoted is a little expensive given they'll be keeping your LPG setup which they'll on-sell.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #43
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG

Regards,
Dave
you don't have to have petrol start, i know someone who has got a vy gen 3 ute, straight lpg parnell system, has the car computer to run the accessories, etc but no petrol whatsoever, has replaced the petrol injectors with gas ones and also has twin turbos too, mind you he fits a lot of parnell gear aswell, and as with all systems, there is nothing wrong with them, 9/10 times it's the installer/tuner problem that the cars don't run right

oh and as to the post before about the injectors, they are now made by aeb, not keihin or whoever they are

oh, and also to add, there's no reason why the sprint gas system couldn't be set up to run straight lpg either, you can change settings in the software as to changeover temp and changeover delay, etc, so set this at a low enough temp and there's no reason you couldn't run straight gas, especially with the new injectors......i may just have to try this out....
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #44
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=bodes-sh]you don't have to have petrol start, i know someone who has got a vy gen 3 ute, straight lpg parnell system, has the car computer to run the accessories, etc but no petrol whatsoever, has replaced the petrol injectors with gas ones and also has twin turbos too.../quote]

I didn't say you needed petrol for starting, I said that starting on petrol reduces the chances of any problems occuring (e.g. excessive starter motor wear and regulator freezing).

Quote:
oh and as to the post before about the injectors, they are now made by aeb, not keihin or whoever they are
But I thought you could get Keihin injectors for Sprintgas kits?

Regards,
Dave
Old 18-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #45
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
oh, and also to add, there's no reason why the sprint gas system couldn't be set up to run straight lpg either, you can change settings in the software as to changeover temp and changeover delay, etc, so set this at a low enough temp and there's no reason you couldn't run straight gas, especially with the new injectors......i may just have to try this out....
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that the OMVL system requires information from the petrol ECU in order to calculate injection timings.

Regards,
Dave
Old 18-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #46
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, it does, but it doesn't mean you necessarily have to have petrol injectors in the car, as long as the car ecu and wiring are there....i'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens, i work at sprint gas so it's not like i can't easily try it...as for the injectors, you may be able to, but the software is set up for aeb injectors
Old 18-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #47
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Keep the LPG in case that was not clear.

Also - $800 installed is about $400 too much regardless of
lpg system.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #48
Cooper69S

Quote:
you can only do a mixerring system on dedicated gas AFAIK and a mixer ring is always going to be inferior to an injected system
I have dedicated lpg svi on my v8 and the guys who fitted it have done plenty of others - new cars and old cars - I'm impressed with the way it runs. currently 215rwhp, but going in next week for a stroker rebuild and new heads and hoping for somewhere around 300rwhp.
but that being said, in most cases I'd reckon you may as well stick with dual fuel - gives a bit more convenience as not all towns have lpg if you decide to go for a trip, petrol is still going to make slightly more power (or at least has the potential to) - don't believe anyone who says otherwise. you could keep dual fuel, get an edit / custom tune for petrol, and just use lpg for economical cruising... just an idea
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #49
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, finally got time to test some things out....with the new sprint gas software you have the option of normal petrol start, gas start or straight lpg, but the system still requires a petrol ecu to get injection timings from, the pic below shows the different options

it's fairly easy to set up and works pretty well for the little play i had with it...
Old 20-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #50
sly
Sly like a G6

I'm surprised no-one has suggested the OP get an edit with custom tune to optimise the timing for LPG...

If his system is Impco it should be less restrictive than a stove ring?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #51
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgglasson
G'day fellas
You've gotten me very interested in the SVI setup now. I have an 01 Fairlane so I presume it would be alright on that.
Apart from the fuel saving advantaged, is there much of a difference in performance (power/torque). I plan to have this car for as long as I can and would like to do a few mods to it, like exhaust (intake already done) and may go as far as supercharing it, would this setup be o.k. still??
Cheers
An SVI system would be fine with that. To be on the safe side, discuss your plans with the installer. The SVI system I just had put on my wife's AU3 wagon is the same as used on the Territory Turbo... plenty of spare injector capacity!
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 20-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #52
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
An SVI system would be fine with that. To be on the safe side, discuss your plans with the installer. The SVI system I just had put on my wife's AU3 wagon is the same as used on the Territory Turbo... plenty of spare injector capacity!
is that the same as mine ? the new sprintgas?

Rides:

Old 20-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #53
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
is that the same as mine ? the new sprintgas?
That's as of about 6 weeks ago... not really "just" done.

OMVL (Sprintgas) Dream XXI N G HP

Sleeper, anyone?