Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #31
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by edda bah
A tuned f6 or blown boss will make mince meat of any factory hsv.
And a tuned HSV will make mince of any factory FPV...

What's this obsession people have with comparing tuned vehicles to factory standard?

Compare apples with apples.

[edit] - noticed Falc'man already said this, so, yeah, what he said :P
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #32
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Does this VF come with Pacer stripes?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #33
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_a_V8
They don't have the stock to last until October. I have no doubts they were meant to, but record sales month after month for HSV have left them with nothing. The LS2 stopped production almost a year ago now.

This is counted as a running change, not series change.
Thats another reason HSV need to peg back LS3's power. They need room for improvement for the R8 and GTS (in VF) without stepping on WD4027's toes.
Old 25-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #34
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
And a tuned HSV will make mince of any factory FPV...

What's this obsession people have with comparing tuned vehicles to factory standard?

Compare apples with apples.

[edit] - noticed Falc'man already said this, so, yeah, what he said :P

I personaly cant understand peoples obsession with factory power levels,sure it sells cars and forces the opposition to raise the bar but if you want more power and most of us do you have to mod.

I own two gt's(ba/bf) and an f6(bf) all of them HAD to be modded as far as I was concerned,so they were, I have test driven a new gts, great car, but no v8 rumble coming from a 6 litre v8......???? get real.

Just my opinion,but nothing from holden or ford is that great when stock.
Clint Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #35
BadMac
I still have both eyes

From the horses mouth.
http://www.hsv.com.au/news/news.asp?ID=810

Quote:
New LS3 engine to power HSV from April

Holden Special Vehicles today announced a running change to its award winning E-Series and WM Grange vehicles, with the new GM LS3 engine to be fitted across the range for cars on-sale from April.
The upgrade will see the ClubSport R8, GTS, Senator Signature, Maloo R8 and WM Grange's power output rise to 317kW.

Managing Director Scott Grant said the new engine was a welcome upgrade to the range of vehicles from Australia s luxury and performance car maker.

"We know our customers want the latest and greatest technology in their cars," Scott Grant said.

"The General Motors LS3 engine continues the HSV tradition of scouring the world for technological advancements to enhance the driving experience."

It is built by General Motors Powertrain in North America and is available in the current Chevrolet Corvette. It will also be the engine used in the new Pontiac GXP, to be built by Holden in Elizabeth from the end of 2008 and exported to the United States.

The HSV LS3 engine has a capacity of 6.2 litres, producing 317kW of power at 6000rpm and 550NM of torque at 4600 rpm, as fitted to the HSV range.

Despite the power output increase, the new engine will deliver a slight improvement in fuel economy for Maloo R8 and WM Grange, while the short wheel base models return figures of 14.5 litres per 100km, as opposed to 14.4ltr/100km for E-Series LS2, in automatic mode.

Production of the new LS3 range begins this month and is available in dealerships from April. Vauxhall s VXR8 and the CSV R8, sold in the United Kingdom and Middle East respectively, will also receive the LS3 engine in 2008. New Zealand launches the LS3 engine with a limited edition Murph pack themed ClubSport R8 and Maloo R8.

HSV have released a new colour palette to coincide with the engine upgrade and for the first time WM Grange and Senator Signature will be available in Red Hot . Automatic transmission coolers are standard across the upgraded range.

HSV will also introduce a new 20 inch wheel option across its fleet, including Grange, Senator Signature and ClubSport R8.

The wheel is a $2500 option for those customers and a no-cost option for GTS and Maloo R8 performance pack purchasers
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #36
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

"That's not a big deal". The Chrysler 300C SRT/8 has had 317 Kw since it's launch...but nobody is talking about that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Fantastic, plenty to choose from if your in the market for a very nice high performance aussie car.
'Aussie' car?
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 26-03-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #37
Cuey
Built Ford Tough

The clubsport has been dropped as another weapon for HSV to use when needed. They've played their cards very well.

When the E series first arrived, the clubsport and 'GTS-R' were not a part of the package.

Now that FPV have played their first hand, HSV have responded with the 317kw and the W427.

The clubsport name plate will remain in the armory in case FPV come out with a bargain price for one of their cars.

It gives HSV the option to introduce a cheaper car without ripping off those owners who have bought an R8 by lowering the price.

Make sense people?

"I believe it was an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war era."

Ron Burgandy - Anchorman
Cuey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuey
The clubsport has been dropped as another weapon for HSV to use when needed. They've played their cards very well.

When the E series first arrived, the clubsport and 'GTS-R' were not a part of the package.

Now that FPV have played their first hand, HSV have responded with the 317kw and the W427.

The clubsport name plate will remain in the armory in case FPV come out with a bargain price for one of their cars.

It gives HSV the option to introduce a cheaper car without ripping off those owners who have bought an R8 by lowering the price.

Make sense people?
How can they bring in a Clubsport when the current Clubsport R8 is the stripped down model with cloth seats etc. I think the current R8 would go very close to matching the VZ Clubsport in specs, but because it was made more expensive HSV in their typical smoke and mirrors crap just put the R8 on the badge and then they tell people its a certain price cheaper than the last R8, when it has the same spec level as the old Clubsport. Its nothing but a lie to cover the fact the VE was something like 3 grand more expensive than the last model.

What do you get with the NZ Murph pack, a big ego and sheepskin seat covers? A pair of HSV branded razor blades to shape your own gay sideburns? The ability to blame everyone but yourself for an accident?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #39
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What do you get with the NZ Murph pack, a big ego and sheepskin seat covers? A pair of HSV branded razor blades to shape your own gay sideburns? The ability to blame everyone but yourself for an accident?
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #40
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
How can they bring in a Clubsport when the current Clubsport R8 is the stripped down model with cloth seats etc. I think the current R8 would go very close to matching the VZ Clubsport in specs, but because it was made more expensive HSV in their typical smoke and mirrors crap just put the R8 on the badge and then they tell people its a certain price cheaper than the last R8, when it has the same spec level as the old Clubsport. Its nothing but a lie to cover the fact the VE was something like 3 grand more expensive than the last model.

Easy, drop the premium brakes, to standard HSV ones, drop the centre console back from Calais spec to SS spec (like the CSV going to the ME), drop climate air to just standard air. Then they would have a pov pack Clubby for $7k-$8k less and it would match the older clubbies for spec (R8 was the lux pack, big brakes, leather, climate, etc). They could also lighten it with exhaust and lightwieght 18" alloys and shed 100Kg's.

As for your second question. The Murph edition in VZ was Black with Orange detailing, not much else. So I would assume its an update of that.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #41
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac
Easy, drop the premium brakes, to standard HSV ones, drop the centre console back from Calais spec to SS spec (like the CSV going to the ME), drop climate air to just standard air. Then they would have a pov pack Clubby for $7k-$8k less and it would match the older clubbies for spec (R8 was the lux pack, big brakes, leather, climate, etc). They could also lighten it with exhaust and lightwieght 18" alloys and shed 100Kg's.

As for your second question. The Murph edition in VZ was Black with Orange detailing, not much else. So I would assume its an update of that.
There would be no point, SS is still cheaper and would have more features. Also there is only 1 brake package for HSV until the W427 comes out.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #42
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
There would be no point, SS is still cheaper and would have more features. Also there is only 1 brake package for HSV until the W427 comes out.

I have also heard the 6 litre's in the ss respond alot better to cams and edits then the hsv 6 litre's,a thought for any one planning on modifications.

What brake options will be available on the 427,and what are the best available brakes with hsv's current line up?? Are 6 pot fronts available??
Old 26-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by edda bah
I have also heard the 6 litre's in the ss respond alot better to cams and edits then the hsv 6 litre's,a thought for any one planning on modifications.

What brake options will be available on the 427,and what are the best available brakes with hsv's current line up?? Are 6 pot fronts available??
Only 1 brake set-up on the 427, and they're massive..

Old 27-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #44
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Only 1 brake set-up on the 427, and they're massive..
You can say that again. Brake specs for the W427:
Front: AP Racing 6-Piston calipers with 380mm strap drive floating rotors.
Rear: AP Racing 4-Piston Calipers with 350mm rotors.

As for the STANDARD HSV brakes fitted to the rest of the range:
Front: 365mm x 32mm ventilated and grooved discs, with 4 piston calipers.
Rear brakes: 350mm x 26mm ventilated and grooved discs and 4 piston rear calipers.
Plus you have ESC, ABS, EBD, EBA. In dry conditions, 36 metres is all the distance required to stop from a speed of 100km/h. Thats better braking than a Lamborghini.
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #45
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXECJIM
I dont know of 1 LSX/Commodore owner having that sort of power

Jim
maybe you should google..
[edit] LSX
At the 2006 SEMA show, GM Performance Parts introduced the LSX engine, an all-new cast-iron racing block based on the LS7 engine. It was designed with help from drag racing legend Warren Johnson, and despite being based on GM's small-block design, it offers displacements ranging from 364 cubic inches to 511 cubic inches (4.25" Bore x 4.5" Stroke) and is capable of withstanding 2500 bhp. This block incorporates two extra rows of head-bolt holes per bank for increased clamping capacity. The six bolt steel main caps are the same ones used on the LS7 engine. The engine debuted at the auto show in a customized 1969 Camaro owned by Reggie Jackson. The LSX will be available starting the second quarter of 2007, set to be available in authorized dealerships and retailers on March 31, 2007.[5]
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #46
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"We know our customers want the latest and greatest technology in their cars," Scott Grant said. "The General Motors LS3 engine continues the HSV tradition of scouring the world for technological advancements to enhance the driving experience."

Since when was the LS motor so technologically advanced? Wheres the direct injection, the VVT, the 4 valves per cylinder, the double overhead camshafts, active intake etc etc the list goes on. Im not bagging the LS motors but for Scott Grant to make a statement like that is a bit silly
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #47
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
"We know our customers want the latest and greatest technology in their cars," Scott Grant said. "The General Motors LS3 engine continues the HSV tradition of scouring the world for technological advancements to enhance the driving experience."

Since when was the LS motor so technologically advanced? Wheres the direct injection, the VVT, the 4 valves per cylinder, the double overhead camshafts, active intake etc etc the list goes on. Im not bagging the LS motors but for Scott Grant to make a statement like that is a bit silly

The ls motors make good power, but modern technology????????

There pushrod's,the statement isnt a "bit silly" it is ridiculous.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 29-03-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Filter is there for a reason
Old 29-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #48
burnz
VFII SS UTE

yeah all the multi valve mean's swat doesn't it.
have faith considering the pushrod/overhead are just two year's appart,
yep modern teck they know which is best.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #49
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LSX block can handle 2500hp. Thats all the technology it needs.
The rest is up to you (Turbos, heads, cam, capacity etc)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #50
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:

I agree, the LS motors are not that advanced when you look at just about any other V8 on the market today.

But they have improved over the old school pushrod V8's which where making around 425hp (317kW) from their 440 (7.2L) big blocks...

Today we have AMG with 507hp from 378 cubes (6.2L) and bundles of low-down torque to boot!

So, now all the HSV's will have 317kW from April....it will be really interesting to see what FPV advertise their new GT's as having, will it be 315 or will they better them this time and say 320kW!!....

One thing that puzzles me is why the tuned LS2 (6.0L) in the HSV's only makes 550Nm@4400rpm while the GT's have 540Nm@4750rpm with over half a litre less capacity?....what are all those extra cubes in HSV doing I ask?...

Would have been great if FPV had the BOSS 6.2's for the new GT's, then we could compare the 2 engine's (BOSS 6.2 vs LS3 6.2) cube for cube and see which one has the most tuning potential...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #51
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Probably going to get the sack over this!!! but I have seen 1 of the 2 that have been made, I've actually been under it and had a look in side (not to bad actually) yes it's a 427Cu with our custom made headers and exhaust on it.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #52
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
I agree, the LS motors are not that advanced when you look at just about any other V8 on the market today.

But they have improved over the old school pushrod V8's which where making around 425hp (317kW) from their 440 (7.2L) big blocks...

Today we have AMG with 507hp from 378 cubes (6.2L) and bundles of low-down torque to boot!

So, now all the HSV's will have 317kW from April....it will be really interesting to see what FPV advertise their new GT's as having, will it be 315 or will they better them this time and say 320kW!!....

One thing that puzzles me is why the tuned LS2 (6.0L) in the HSV's only makes 550Nm@4400rpm while the GT's have 540Nm@4750rpm with over half a litre less capacity?....what are all those extra cubes in HSV doing I ask?...

Would have been great if FPV had the BOSS 6.2's for the new GT's, then we could compare the 2 engine's (BOSS 6.2 vs LS3 6.2) cube for cube and see which one has the most tuning potential...
yeah I agree they have upped technology over most of the older V8's but remember the good ol 426 Hemi, power of about 500HP (factory rated at 425HP for the media and insurance companies) and something like 650NM of torque from full iron blocks and heads as well as twin carbs. That was the street version too, not too shabby for a 40 odd year design. Although it did drink like a camel in the desert which now would be ridicoulis. Funny you mention Merc because I read the 5.5ltr supercharged V8 makes something like 478KW - amazing. Anyway Im sure if the current tech used on the 5.4 Boss was used on a 6.2 we'd see power in 350Kw+ zone easy

Last edited by ea90gl; 31-03-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 31-03-2008, 01:26 AM   #53
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
LSX block can handle 2500hp. Thats all the technology it needs.
The rest is up to you (Turbos, heads, cam, capacity etc)
Its a fair effort to handle lots of power but still it lacks alot of technology that many Euro cars have, it would have been alot better on Scotts behalf to not say anything about seeking hi-tech at all. Any way add forced induction etc etc to a real tech advanced motor (say BMW 4.0 V8 making 300KW) it would probably make more power than most less advanced motors would with the same mods and capacity
Old 31-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #54
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Funny you mention Merc because I read the 5.5ltr supercharged V8 makes something like 478KW - amazing.
I think the engine you're referring to is the one in the SLR McLaren, makes 485kW/820Nm from a 5.4L 24 valve SOHC V8 with a 13psi Lysholm blower...and it's bloody fast, try 0-160kph in 7.8 sec!!

AMG plays the number's game too by giving different ratings to their 5.4L supercharged V8's in their E55 and SL55 models....eg the E55 makes 469hp but in the SL55, it makes 493hp.

Owners of both these vehicles have confirmed on dyno runs that these engines are infact making over 500hp in stock form...

Sorry, back on topic now....

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #55
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes thats the one the engine from the SLR, god how I would love that under my bonnet. Imagine they done what they did to that motor on a 7 litre :