Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #31
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really enjoy washing my cars, can lose a whole day doing it. Standing back and admiring the shine afterwards is definately worth it

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #32
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hate washing cars. Barely ever do it and when I do it's very basic. Waste of time IMO
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #33
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My car gets a wash when it rains.....

For the moment my car is kept outside, and it serves as a work horse as well as transport.

The yellow makes it look clean for a very long time funnily enough. Then when I clean it properly I have to wear shades haaaa
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #34
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

No such thing as too much cleaning! I've gone to great lengths in the past 5hr cleaning marthons!

Edit:

I actualy took my wheels off and cleaned the brakes and springs...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/

Last edited by Nikked; 07-08-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #35
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm guilty of removing the wheels. With some wheels it's the only way to get the inside of them clean, guess I need bigger rims eh!?

Guilty of cleaning the springs and wheel arch, but dont think that's too extreme.

Do really enjoy spending time polishing, it's kind of therapeutic (spelling?) and gets me away from the rug rats. SWMBO also thinks it's hard work, which it is, but I enjoy it. :
vfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #36
jason71
google is my friend

You're not alone I love a nice clean car.

I might be a freak because I like attention to detail and get into all the nooks
and crannies every time I clean a car and to me it makes a world of difference
to its appearance.

Plus if you keep on top of it, it doesn't take too long to do.
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #37
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I just wash the XD whenever it gets embarrasing to be seen in.
The paint is so crappy it dosent matter really, and having a gravel/dirt driveway dosent help.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 12:49 AM   #38
Joey_Falcon
Powered By Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason71
Plus if you keep on top of it, it doesn't take too long to do.
too right if you give it a good wax and polish all you need is a chamois in the boot. - give it a hose down, then dry, and its mint clean again.
Trick is it must not accumilate too much dirt. Every day or second day do this. Takes 5 min.
Joey_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 AM   #39
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Love cleaning the car, wax it every two weeks, clean and deep condition the leather every second cleaning, steam clean carpets and roof linings, lubricate sunroof with graphite powder etc. Only takes one full day and it is immaculate. With the seats, nothing is better when you sit in them again and they are extra soft and grip you (leather is not meant to be shiny and slippery). Keep on top of it and it all goes easy.

What's not fun is cleaning an aeroplane. A couple of years ago when working in Canberra the PM's falcon (small jet) broke down, so we had to fly him to Sydney. Problem was, our VIP planes where out, so we had to clean one of our metroliner freighters. Not only did that mean that we had to put a VIP interior in it (2 hours), we had to wash it and then because of some marks that wouldn't come off; polish the thing up. Took 7 of us 2 hours. Atleast we would have killed all the skin drag on it. Because of the rush we all pushed ourselves for it, went through 2 litres of polish and a big bag of rags. My arms hurt for 3 days after that. What was worse was that it was a hot January day, and as I was FO for that flight I couldn't have a cold one after all the cleaning.
Ever since then, cleaning the car is never a chore.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #40
Joey_Falcon
Powered By Ford

Yep I too had to clean an old fighter jet, used for joy flights. Thought to myself this should only take a couple of hours.... How wrong was I...
Joey_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 01:35 AM   #41
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Not wrong, and the detail is astonishing. We had to power up various parts of the AC to get in to the areas which are only visible at some times in the flight. What a mission it was. Luckily, I got to sleep on the flight back.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 01:55 AM   #42
GSH
AU2 XR8

i have my own detailing buisness im obsessed with it i polish under my bonnet

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #43
eternity
Starter Motor

Only wash once every 3-4 months, can't say I hate it but don't enjoy it either. I give the car a very thorough wash, remove tar stains and wax, which seems to be keeping stubborn grime off between washes. I'd like to think I am saving myself time without neglecting paintwork.
eternity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #44
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Cant be too bad here, no ones said theyve shampood the towball. Yet.
i mr sheened my towbar yesterday after coming back from fishing trip, : then polished bike going to wash cars after lunch then might do some polishing on bike again
Old 08-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #45
prydey
Rob

i wonder if those people who don't bother cleaning their cars because 'they'll only get dirty again', bother to clean themselves seeing as how they'll only get dirty again.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #46
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I get zero enjoyment out of cleaning my car, especially when NSW had water restrictions. If you're that fastidious about cleaning your car and you get pride from the way it looks, you can never go too far.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #47
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
i mr sheened my towbar yesterday after coming back from fishing trip, : then polished bike going to wash cars after lunch then might do some polishing on bike again
Haha I was wondering who'd be the first!

Good to see the majority of us are like minded individuals. My girlfriend calls it "sad".... :

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #48
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is where I am lucky.
We have huge water tanks at work for
washing the cars. So my car is
always spotlessly clean.
I use my own products though
as the ones at work are total s...
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #49
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Haha I was wondering who'd be the first!

Good to see the majority of us are like minded individuals. My girlfriend calls it "sad".... :
i might be a little over the top but ,after doing big ks and a couple years in all my cars they still look new .which makes me feel better .and they are all dark three are black so i have me work cut out with the swirl thing. i live in mining town thats dusty as well ,they really need doing every day but i restrain myself to once a week ,eccept for the bike which is before every ride
Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #50
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would rather drive my cars than clean them, once a fortnight they get a wash, once a year they get a polish.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #51
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

For the buick its a weekly wash/suds/chamois/vacum/polish. Can never bear to have it dirty, just feels so wrong for a car like that. As for the daily driver, it just gets a wash and suds once a fortnight or so and mabye a vacum if the interior gets too dirty.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #52
efI_Fairmont

Nothing wrong with it mate! Love cleaning my baby all the time, it's actually therapudic lol waxing it and admiring your handiwork!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #53
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

iam also guilty of removing the wheels to do the brake calipers,inner wheel wells. the sad part is i work fly in/ fly out, my cars sit in a shed for 4weeks at a time and every time i come home for r&r. i will full detail the cars and carry a meguiars duster,chamois with me in the car. i know its so wrong but i love a clean car.

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #54
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

If I had more time, it would get a full detail every weekend, dirty or not. I remember when I had my Honda. It was before the wife and kids. Every weekend, full wash and deatil inside and out.... god I miss doing that.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #55
efI_Fairmont

You know you've got the detailing bug when someone tells you how nice the car look and your reply is "it's filthy at the moment" and they ask where lol. Sometimes I wish i'd never got into it so much, now I notice swirls, marks, etc I never would have before. It's an addiction that's for sure. But I do love an ultra-clean car, now I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm guilty of taking the wheels of to clean calipers, inner wheels etc. Tragic lol.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:24 AM   #56
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I use those cottonbud things to clean the air vents every so often.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #57
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I take my plate protectors off so I can polish the numberplates.......

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 04:16 AM   #58
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

I'm hoping to pick up one of those nicely priced Turbo sixes soon (yay for fuel prices and interest rates) - it's pretty immaculate from what I've seen on the test drive. I'd love to keep it that way, and you are all inspiring me to do so Keep up the great work guys! I'll be back for tips on wax and other product brands I'm sure.
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #59
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i first got my license id wash my fairmont atleast once a week. If it got bird on it or anything like that it got cleaned that day. Now with work and other stuff i struggle to find time to give the ba and the fairmont the attention they deserve. BA has been washed at home twice and polished/waxed once since i got it. Fairmont used to get a wax every 2 months without fail. When im done i usualy to just sit there and stare at it for hours.
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #60
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Another one for being a detail fanatic. My XR8 is not a daily driver and I do like a very clean car. As well as the usual exterior paint wash, detail and wax, I am fussy about the under skirts of the car always make sure they are clean. Blacken the plastics around the wheel wells. Thorough clean of the alloy wheels, engine bay interior and boot trim.

I do not reccomend this for a daily driver though. Even when I bought with relatively low 18k on the clock its amazing how work it is to bring it to concourse condition.

Apologies, I had to include a pic. Ok I must be sad...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0669sm.jpg (139.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by XR_Strider_GuY; 10-08-2008 at 11:07 AM.
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post