Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #31
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
This thread really brings home a lot.

Our town has lost one of our finest gentlemen on Monday night, workaholic, heart bigger than phar lap........... As someone said, he gave so much of his heart it finally broke :(

Yes he had a heart attack. The town has lost a legend.

I have now realised that I am not young anymore ........ scary but true....... Mutley, I am only a year younger than you ...... If it can happen to you it can happen to anyone.

I have just gone & got all my 'womens' check up done but did fail to ask about all of this other stuff ....... I will book the tests ASAP ...... funny how as my mothers side all suffered cancer I have & continue to have those tests but dads side has heart problems & I had never really given it much thought to get that checked.
Hello Mother Nature,

For kids, there's one thing worse than losing their dad, and that's losing their mum. Do all the checks you need to and make sure the govt pays. If nothing else, it will give your health and well being a positive direction.

Good luck
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #32
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Hope you get well Mutley and I hope you get over your anxiety uranium_death.

It's a funny thing we blokes put ourselves through. On one hand we are so valuable an individual that nobody else can do the job as well, yet we seem to put more effort and stress into doing it than our colleagues. As family men we tell ourselves we are building a comfortable lifestyle for the wife and kids, but are rarely there for them in spirit because we are forward thinking our next move at work. We are so precious and genetically superior we don't need to be hanging around doctor's receptions for medical checkups, besides which the time could be better spent building a comfortable lifestyle for the wife and kids. The we hit our fifties and start seeing a reflection of some aged bloke with a less than desirable physique...[thoughtbubble] wtf that's not the 17 yearold Adonis that once housed my superior brain! [/thoughtbubble]
Well said. Particularly the justification we use that we are building a more comfortable life for our wife and kids. Thats my excuse and it is rather hollow in hindsight. My kids couldn't care less, so long as I have time for them.
Old 25-10-2008, 12:11 AM   #33
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy
Mutley, sounds like you did everything right and still had a set back. Just goes to show there are no certainties in life no matter how well we cross the I's and dot the T's. At 34 and being very regular gym attendee since 1991, with focus on bodybuilding, power training isn't likely to save my bum either. Thanks for raising the awareness as I was shocked to hear some of those young ages including yours. 43 is still very young in my opinion. Get well soon mate.
Thanks Robroy,

I reckon the stress was what did it to me. This is backed up by two of the three cardiologists that worked on me.

In laymans terms, one explained stress and exercise both get the heart going. With exercise, the arteries open up and the increased blood flow from the heart flows throughout the body. i.e. increased flow, no increased pressure.

With stress, the heart starts pumping hard but the arteries remain relatively closed, causing a pressure build up in the heart - a bit like puting your hand over the end of the vacuum cleaner hose. i.e. no increase in flow, increase in pressure.
Old 25-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #34
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Did getting to hospital quickly help you? I have heard that the quicker you get to a doctor the better because they can administer drugs and carry out procedures which slow or prevent the heart tissue dying and thus making you recover a LOT quicker.
110% correct!
Old 25-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #35
old_mate
Smash the Boost

hey

im only 24 and lately have had a whole tonne of responsibility left on my shoulders at work, i don't think i have ever felt stressed in my life but the last 2 months has been terrible, there are some days i cannot think straight and get maybe start to feel what feels like hunger pains in the guts (i thought at my age all stress would be 100% mental and its the brain in overload)

and to think i have worked 30hrs in the last 48 for what feels like nothing. I need another job

all the best for mutley

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #36
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Just a tip..heaven forbid...once you have one the goal is to prevent further damage and aid recovery.Straight upon coming home I addedd a touch of red wine to my diet.Just a little bit.The studies have shown that straight after a heart attack that our white blood cell attach themselves to the dead scar tissue .The problem is that they also stick to the healthy tissue surrounding the injury killing healthy heart tissue. Red wine has been proven to stop white blood cells sticking to and killing the healthy heat tissue around the damaged part...

Exercise does not unblock the arteries.Once blocked...arteries stay blockedunless there is medical intervention. Exercise stop the arteries from going hard so they are healthier .In the event of a clot theres more chance of it slip by.

Be at the hospital within the hour as they can start you on pure oxygen to help.

I think alot of people have lost sight of the fun in life due to us running around to feed the greed of the big players in business. Whens the last time you saw the real beauty in a flower?The true beauty of a lovely woman? The playfulness of your children? Enjoy the moment free of bad thoughts and youare freed from half theprobs in the world

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #37
tango07

After I Turned 28 I Have Had A Check Up Every Year Just Before My Birthday .i Am Now 80
Motto .catch Things Before They Start.
tango07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #38
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Straight upon coming home I addedd a touch of red wine to my diet.Just a little bit.The studies have shown that straight after a heart attack that our white blood cell attach themselves to the dead scar tissue .The problem is that they also stick to the healthy tissue surrounding the injury killing healthy heart tissue. Red wine has been proven to stop white blood cells sticking to and killing the healthy heat tissue around the damaged part...
Hey STAV, read a previous forum post about your chol issues. I am on the same drug you were on. 40mg tho.

However about the above statement, hehe, you know, I just started hitting the bottle of red in the last week or so.
I got plenty of, and I had an indication that it was good for you in moderation.

My doc, that laughs at my chol going up, said to me a really funny fact (even similar to the eskimo fact).
The mediterranean area (Italy - Greece) has one of the lowest chol in the world.
I said "BS, don't believe you". She explained that her friend did a massive study over there about the diets in that area and the chol issues.
It's all in the diet (wine, pasta and olive oil).

I still am shocked about it, but I am so far taking up one part of it already and loving it.

I watched my boss have a heart attack at work. Never seen it happening before, really puts the wind up ya khyber pass.
Scary stuff. Went really yellow and grey!
He was really stubborn to go to the hospital, we offered to drive, he denied and drove himself. Silly.
Another few days, 2 stents a pace maker later, he's doing ok.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #39
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Whens the last time you saw the real beauty in a flower?
Dunno, but I found great beauty in a Gebra brand warning triangle once, does that count?? ( http://www.gebra.com/products_warning_triangles.php )

Quote:
The true beauty of a lovely woman?
Often, but the wifey doesn't always appreciate it.

Quote:
The playfulness of your children?
Declan the baby is 9 weeks and doesn't stop his attempts at 'talking' at odd hours, smiles and yaps at women and the female teachers at a nearby school resist giving him back.

Quote:
Enjoy the moment free of bad thoughts and you are freed from half the probs in the world
I deal with the UN sometimes, does this mean I carry the weight of the world?

NB, my mum suffered a heart attack late 2007, a year later at 84 she's bounced back fully, well, - a fully as an 84yo can be expected. She was not delighted with having blackened arms and chest as part of that process . . . She at least is living to see Declan the baby. She continues to despise today's crop of 'gutless, incompetent' politician's.

ASPRIN, a tablet a day they say . . . . (& accidential death or life insurance bequested to your family members, a should do, and its cheap-ish).

Farming kills, believe me I know; my grandfather many years ago left law in Sydney and troddled off to Wagga Wagga to run his new farm, two years later he died from a heart attack, he was 94. Don't be a dairy farmer people!

On the other hand, my father pre-deceased his father, my grandfather. He was a QC and former National Court Judge and died following the delightful effects of lung and throat cancer, one year after diagnosis and hospitalisation.

I blame weapons of mass destruction, it seems the thing to do.

Last edited by Keepleft; 26-10-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #40
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Dunno, but I found great beauty in a Gebra brand warning triangle once, does that count?? ( http://www.gebra.com/products_warning_triangles.php )

Often, but the wifey doesn't always appreciate it.

Declan the baby is 9 weeks and doesn't stop his attempts at 'talking' at odd hours, smiles and yaps at women and the female teachers at a nearby school resist giving him back.

I deal with the UN sometimes, does this mean I carry the weight of the world?

NB, my mum suffered a heart attack late 2007, a year later at 84 she's bounced back fully, well, - a fully as an 84yo can be expected. She was not delighted with having blackened arms and chest as part of that process . . . She at least is living to see Declan the baby. She continues to despise today's crop of 'gutless, incompetent' politician's.

ASPRIN, a tablet a day they say . . . . (& accidential death or life insurance bequested to your family members, a should do, and its cheap-ish).

Farming kills, believe me I know; my grandfather many years ago left law in Sydney and troddled off to Wagga Wagga to run his new farm, two years later he died from a heart attack, he was 94. Don't be a dairy farmer people!

On the other hand, my father pre-deceased his father, my grandfather. He was a QC and former National Court Judge and died following the delightful effects of lung and throat cancer, one year after diagnosis and hospitalisation.

I blame weapons of mass destruction, it seems the thing to do.

this post is the reason why we need RANDOM BREATH TESTING ON THE ROADS. bring on the random drug testing quickly too i say.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #41
buickman
buickman

I’ve always done sport or exercised through my life I’m now 54 the same age my dad had his 1st heart attack. His is now in his late 70’s and walking 5-10kms a day and really watches what he eats as well so that plus heart by passes and balloon stints and drugs have kept him alive over 20 years longer.

But knowing it’s in my genes I had a full medical at 42 years of age and every 2 years since.
I’ve been on cholesterol lowering drugs for over ten years to keep my levels below 4.0 They want males over 40 that has had a father or mother that has suffered a heart attack in their 50’s to be below 4mg my blood pressure is OK

Life’s cruel in your young years you are more worried on your appearance and as you age you turn to being more concerned on staying alive longer.

But Mutley at 43 and having no history of early heart problems would have come as a very nasty shock to you and family. But with medication and learning to relax and enjoy life you could have another 30-40 years of good life left.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #42
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
This thread really brings home a lot.

Our town has lost one of our finest gentlemen on Monday night, workaholic, heart bigger than phar lap........... As someone said, he gave so much of his heart it finally broke :(

Yes he had a heart attack. The town has lost a legend.

I have now realised that I am not young anymore ........ scary but true....... Mutley, I am only a year younger than you ...... If it can happen to you it can happen to anyone.

I have just gone & got all my 'womens' check up done but did fail to ask about all of this other stuff ....... I will book the tests ASAP ...... funny how as my mothers side all suffered cancer I have & continue to have those tests but dads side has heart problems & I had never really given it much thought to get that checked.
Exactly what I was thinking when I started reading this thread. He will be missed.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #43
Silversurfer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David
Hey Silversurfer. BEFORE you start exercising see a Doctor first. This is VERY important.
When he gives you the go ahead to start, get a photo of your kids and laminate it. Then carry this with you when exercising as motivation.

just me tip!!

GOOD LUCK
Have seen the doctor and have the green light to start daily walks with kids, plus get back on the bike (river paths or around parks) which brings back a nasty episode.

3 Years ago I used to cycle to work (26kms return 5days a week) which kept me around 105-110kg's and toned enough, but after 1 serious knock down and 4 near misses by a mum taking her kids to school,(did'nt see me and cuts me off at a corner) I decided that my luck may be up.Man I was wearing a bright yellow safety vest , lights back and front and green shorts, hell I was like a big kangaroo and "sorry did'nt see ya". Broke 2 ribs plus heaps of bruises.Lucky to be alive as I was dragged for 10mtr's and ended up l under the car between front and rear wheels.Another 30cm and me balls would have been paste.And I let her drive off without getting her details.I dusted myself off , straightened my bike and continued riding to work in pain.After work finished, I rode home and fell like a sack of crap and could not get up for 2 days due to the pain.I got over all this and continued to ride for 6 more months and after 4 near misses decided to stop riding.I find it too dangerous now as there are more cyclists and scooters vying for the same turf.Now I ride my motorcycle to work which I find somewhat safer .Strange but true.
Anyway back to walking to get fitter and out of the danger zone.
cheers all.
Silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #44
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I try and get a full check up once a year,(cholesterol, prostrate etc). Ive been divorced now for 3 years and let me tell you guys, if i didnt leave that witch that i was married to i reckon i wouldnt be here today, due to the stress of living with her. Combine this with working 60+ hrs a week and being slightly overweight and i was a perfect candidate for a heat attack. Depression sets in, shortness of breathe and anxiety at night. Whats the point of living. As they say, STRESS is the biggest killer out there and is what leads to heart attacks strokes etc.
I now have met a beautiful woman who's love and care is endless and we are both intent on being happy and enjoying the gifts of life. The good Lord has picked me up and i now look and feel better than i have ever felt in memory. Try and live by the 3 H's. HAPPY,HEALTHY & HORNY
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #45
dsyfer

Life is too short... that is why instead of sitting and complaining about and getting stressed by my crappy neighbours for one minute longer, I am moving to the Adelaide hills this Friday, not only do i not have any more neighbours, but I get to drive the Chain of Ponds road everyday

enjoy it while you can...
dsyfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #46
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpal
I try and get a full check up once a year,(cholesterol, prostrate etc). Ive been divorced now for 3 years and let me tell you guys, if i didnt leave that witch that i was married to i reckon i wouldnt be here today, due to the stress of living with her. Combine this with working 60+ hrs a week and being slightly overweight and i was a perfect candidate for a heat attack. Depression sets in, shortness of breathe and anxiety at night. Whats the point of living. As they say, STRESS is the biggest killer out there and is what leads to heart attacks strokes etc.
I now have met a beautiful woman who's love and care is endless and we are both intent on being happy and enjoying the gifts of life. The good Lord has picked me up and i now look and feel better than i have ever felt in memory. Try and live by the 3 H's. HAPPY,HEALTHY & HORNY

hahahahaha . i'm very happy for you pitpal. i didnt know that .
i had to laugh at this post though . because i know life is too short . but look a t it like this stress of married life with kids . high income no cash, feeling like a 40 year old virgin every day. constant niggling, and the odd fight . (* seems to be what i have conformed to as reality) .
versus moving out losing your house . and the GT. / YOUR KIDS BECOME par time . a new beua moves into your house, you pay 1/2 your income to this new family.
which is the greater stress. ????????
however i know what your saying , and i am very happy that you found satisfaction.
HAHAHAHAHAH .
Old 28-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #47
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Waggn
Hey STAV, read a previous forum post about your chol issues. I am on the same drug you were on. 40mg tho.

However about the above statement, hehe, you know, I just started hitting the bottle of red in the last week or so.
I got plenty of, and I had an indication that it was good for you in moderation.

My doc, that laughs at my chol going up, said to me a really funny fact (even similar to the eskimo fact).
The mediterranean area (Italy - Greece) has one of the lowest chol in the world.
I said "BS, don't believe you". She explained that her friend did a massive study over there about the diets in that area and the chol issues.
It's all in the diet (wine, pasta and olive oil).

I still am shocked about it, but I am so far taking up one part of it already and loving it.

I watched my boss have a heart attack at work. Never seen it happening before, really puts the wind up ya khyber pass.
Scary stuff. Went really yellow and grey!
He was really stubborn to go to the hospital, we offered to drive, he denied and drove himself. Silly.
Another few days, 2 stents a pace maker later, he's doing ok.
I think youre right.Diet is the main culprit.All us Greeks here moved to Dulwich hill and discovered KFC.Every single time we eat crap it does damage to us.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #48
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

Default here are some tips...paramedics know best!!!

Hi everyone, I work as a paramedic so here are my thoughts.

Just because you are not "overweight" doesnt mean you are at lesser risk of cardiovascular disease. Eating crappy food is like putting cheap engine oil in your car's engine, blocks up the oil galleries(like cholesterol).

If you have any kind of chest pain that doesnt go away after 10 minutes call 000. There is a thing in emergency medicine called time is muscle. The longer you leave it the more heart muscle dies, to the point that you may not recover.
Other symptoms include shortness of breath, pain radiating into your jaw/neck/left arm,dizzyness,nausea and sweatiness. Please everyone take note of these symptoms. Unfortunately diabetics dont get the pain due to high suger levels destroying nerves which transmit pain. Please remember these signs and sympyoms...As I say...There is no glory in a wooden box !

All paramedics I know are very, very wary of the 35 to 45 year old male, first time chest pain. Stupid males ( I am one) think "oh that pain will go away". Yes it does go away and so does everything else, pulse included. No end of cardiac drugs and resuscitation effort will bring you back if you have let too much heart muscle die off.

Take time for yourself, learn to relax and follow your dreams. I have seen to many dead (males especially) people who have put these signs and syptoms off. Please feel free to contact me for any advice on this subject.

End of rant

Justin
NGN 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #49
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN 351

Just because you are not "overweight" doesnt mean you are at lesser risk of cardiovascular disease. Eating crappy food is like putting cheap engine oil in your car's engine, blocks up the oil galleries(like cholesterol).

If you have any kind of chest pain that doesnt go away after 10 minutes call 000. There is a thing in emergency medicine called time is muscle. The longer you leave it the more heart muscle dies, to the point that you may not recover.
Other symptoms include shortness of breath, pain radiating into your jaw/neck/left arm,dizzyness,nausea and sweatiness. Please everyone take note of these symptoms. Unfortunately diabetics dont get the pain due to high suger levels destroying nerves which transmit pain. Please remember these signs and sympyoms...As I say...There is no glory in a wooden box !

All paramedics I know are very, very wary of the 35 to 45 year old male, first time chest pain. Stupid males ( I am one) think "oh that pain will go away". Yes it does go away and so does everything else, pulse included. No end of cardiac drugs and resuscitation effort will bring you back if you have let too much heart muscle die off.

Take time for yourself, learn to relax and follow your dreams. I have seen to many dead (males especially) people who have put these signs and syptoms off. Please feel free to contact me for any advice on this subject.

End of rant

Justin

thanks for this post mate. i sometimes wonder if it's a blessing or a curse to endure what you have too. .
but overall it's probably a huge blessing . because you get to value life through differant eyes .
Old 29-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #50
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN 351

End of rant

Justin
Great info Justin. Thanks heaps mate and keep up the good work :
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #51
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Default A walk is important

This is an excellent thread and it has inspired me to take a trip to the quack this afternoon. It is rare for blokes to share feelings and experiences like this and I find it refreshing. Thanks Mutley for kicking it off.

Now they say humour is a good thing to relieve stress and I am reluctant to inject humour into such a thread but I am going to anyhow as a laugh might so someone some good.

if you think humour is offensive in this thread do not read on.

[font=Georgia','serif][font=Times New Roman','serif]Walking can add precious minutes to your life.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]This enables you at 85 years old[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]At $7000 per month.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]My grandpa started walking five miles a day when he was 60..[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]Now he's 97 years old and we don't know where he is.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]I like long walks, especially when they are taken[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]by people who annoy me.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]The only reason I would take up walking[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]I have to walk early in the morning,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]before my brain figures out what I'm doing..[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]I joined a health club last year, spent about 400 bucks.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]Haven't lost a pound.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]Apparently you have to go there.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]I wash my mouth out with chocolate.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]I do have flabby thighs,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]but fortunately my stomach covers them.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]The advantage of exercising every day[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]is so when you die, they'll say,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]'Well, he looks good doesn't he.'[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]If you are going to try cross-country skiing,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]start with a small country.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]I know I got a lot of exercise the last few years,......[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]just getting over the hill.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]We all get heavier as we get older,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]because there's a lot more information in our heads.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]That's my story and I'm sticking to it.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]AND[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]Every time I start thinking too much about how I look,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]I just find a Happy Hour and by the time I leave,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman','serif]I look just fine.[/font]

[/font]

Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #52
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I have been self employed for the last 15 years and the last 6 years have been crazy. But after losing a close mate a couple of months ago to cancer, I have changed my ways. Whats the point of a good bank balance if your six foot under. Now instead of piling jobs up and running around like a pork chop, if I can't get there, I can't get there. And its great............ And now I'm doing heaps more stuff with the kids, which I should of been doing in the first place............And would you beleive after starting to read this thread last night, we got a phone call this morning to say the father in law has just had a heart attack and has been rushed to the hospital.............. I think I'll have the rest of the arvo off !!
Old 29-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #53
Mutley

Thanks for your reply Munroman. My best friend has been a holden man all his life (Welcome to the other side!!!). We met at a hill climb in Denmark W.A. in 1984. He had an LH SL/R 5000 and I had an XAGT.

He made an interesting comment today. He said all the blokes we hung around with including ourselves seem to have lost our sense of humour, are busy paying off mortgages and getting stressed with family issues.

I've had another trip to hospital since this thread started. So what have I learn't:
* My job isn't worth the stress. Time to downsize.
* Our house is too big to clean. The bigger the house, the less cash you have, the longer it takes to clean and the more excuses you have to stay inside when the real fun you have is getting out to see friends and do things
* My kids love having me home all day, especially when I take them to school
* The sensible decision to sell my car (toy) and put the money towards the mortgage was the wrong decision for my health. A hobby which doesn't involve the family I would now consider an essential part of good health
* I'm going to make a real effort to re-establish past good friendships I have allowed to wane
Old 29-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #54
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Good on ya, and great advice.........
Old 08-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #55
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley
Thanks for your reply Munroman. My best friend has been a holden man all his life (Welcome to the other side!!!). We met at a hill climb in Denmark W.A. in 1984. He had an LH SL/R 5000 and I had an XAGT.

He made an interesting comment today. He said all the blokes we hung around with including ourselves seem to have lost our sense of humour, are busy paying off mortgages and getting stressed with family issues.

I've had another trip to hospital since this thread started. So what have I learn't:
* My job isn't worth the stress. Time to downsize.
* Our house is too big to clean. The bigger the house, the less cash you have, the longer it takes to clean and the more excuses you have to stay inside when the real fun you have is getting out to see friends and do things
* My kids love having me home all day, especially when I take them to school
* The sensible decision to sell my car (toy) and put the money towards the mortgage was the wrong decision for my health. A hobby which doesn't involve the family I would now consider an essential part of good health
* I'm going to make a real effort to re-establish past good friendships I have allowed to wane

was thinking about you today, and decided to check this thread . great post mate . very inspiring and gives me great advice .
how ya travelling ???? is all well ???
Old 08-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #56
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Wow this thread is good. I am the worst person here.

I was born with rare heart problems, have had 3 ops since birth, 2 valve replacements and part of my aorta was replaced due to an anurism growing in it.

The reason I say I am the worst here and probably the dumbest is because I do no excercise, eat wrong am stressed to the max and am 35kg overweight. I also believe my weight gain has something to do with my last op. I was able to eat anything and still be a stick, then one day (bout 2 weeks after my second op) I began gaining weight. Steadily not all at once. Now I can still eat anything I want and I don't gain a kilo but wham I will suddenly gain 5. I can go a year or more before this happens.

My problem is I have let my self get sooo unfit and un healthy that combined with my condition it is near immpossible for me to excercise now. Even today walking up a slight incline tired me out. I am on blood thinners so clots are not my issue, and am on meds to regulate my heart rythm. Reading this I really need to get something done and soon. I have a 2 year old and one on the way and I do want to see them grow up.

I think it is off to have a good chat with my GP this week.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #57
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
was thinking about you today, and decided to check this thread . great post mate . very inspiring and gives me great advice .
how ya travelling ???? is all well ???
Giday gtfpv,

Things are going pretty well. I'm still off work but am going to head back soon. I have really enjoyed the time off taking the kids to school and picking them up. I've also had time to go to a few car auctions and catch up with mates I haven't seen for ages.

My biggest worry now is whether I will be able to continue in my current role at work. If not, I'll probably take a pay cut but atleast I'll get more time at home. Either way, I don't care. I've prepared the missus for a pay cut and we'll see how things go.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #58
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad things are going well for you.

Until recently I was 116kg and a heavy smoker and I'm 32. I have decided to do something about it before I have a heart attack or stroke and have now lost 12.6kg in 12 weeks and am at 103kg, 20kg to go. :( Any of you chubby guys need to do the same I can recommend that 'Lite N Easy' as being pretty acceptable (I won't say 'good') and I have lost that weight WITHOUT exercise! I already feel a lot better too.

I wish quitting smoking was so easy.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #59
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Wow this thread is good. I am the worst person here.

My problem is I have let my self get sooo unfit and un healthy that combined with my condition it is near immpossible for me to excercise now. Even today walking up a slight incline tired me out. I am on blood thinners so clots are not my issue, and am on meds to regulate my heart rythm. Reading this I really need to get something done and soon. I have a 2 year old and one on the way and I do want to see them grow up.

I think it is off to have a good chat with my GP this week.
Giday EDfutura25,

Don't give up. Start today. You've got to see your kids walk down the aisle so set this as your goal. My exercise has become walking the kids in the pram. 3kms, twice a day. They really love it. We chat about nothings all the way around and people say giday to you after a while when you keep passing their house.

After the heart attack, I could only manage 300m per day. Build up slowly and you'll get to 30 minutes before you know it.
Old 13-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #60
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Mutley,

Glad to hear you are doing well.

I had a heart attack in 1996 when I was 40. I went over to Singapore from Brunei and woke up feeling unwell and later in the day while walking a pain shot down my left arm. Went back to Brunei, waited a few days and then saw a doctor. He did an ecg and then a stress test which he stopped after less than a minute.

I waited 3 months before returning to Australia for treatment and they found 1 artery completely blocked. I was very, very fortunate.

My risk factors were all low though except cholesterol was slightly high.

After another attack in May 2004, my fault as I over extended myself in cycling, the doctor tested me for lipoproteins and I was very high in one but I can't which one. This is genetic and I think makes it easier for plaque to stick to artery walls. This probably explains why my brother who smokes, drinks, is overweight and generally unfit, unlike me, has not had problems earlier!

I am on Zocor 80mg, metroprolol and I take fish oil capsules and a Cartia every day. I keep fit walking in the jungle here but you can get a shock when a monkey jumps out on the track in front of you!

Yes, I think the advice on here has been good; get a blood test and a stress test, eat sensibly, exercise regularly, and avoid or minimise stress.

Cheers

Jim
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post