Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #31
TadKa
Wait? What?

This looks good for $16,800 2007 thats done 21k It looks like its at Tilford
Most girlies would be thrilled as that for a first car.

Put some Alloys on it for her and it would look the goods.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #32
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A lot of green eyes on here at the moment.
Yeah your probably right. I'm just a bit skeptical as the majority of posts like these that I have come across turn out to be young boys talking up there Daddies M3 as their own for instance. Thats more on other forums though.
I'm very jelous that he owns his own house at 21. But I guess its an inheritance.
Old 13-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #33
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I would have loved a brand new car when I was 17 as well, but realistically an inexperienced driver is going to have a few knocks.
In carparks, driveways, parking... and so it's probably a better option to find a good condition second hand car, which won't matter so much if it gets a few scratches here or there, and then say that perhaps for her 20th or 21st that you'll get her a new car.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #34
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You say that you are sensible with your money yet you want to buy a 17 year old girl a high performance car??

When I was 17 I wanted a VX HSV GTS 300 in British racing green. If I had one given to me at that age I probably would be 6 feet under by now.

Time and time again has it been shown that young people and powerful cars can often be a dangerous mix. For an 17/18 year old its even worse....

If the XR5 is the 'kind of car' she is after then she wont be dissapointed with a focus zetec. Niether will your wallet.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #35
big-e
In the jungle

Sorry eyes87 about before.

On a serious note.

Just becuase you have the money (I think that anybody would love to be in your situation) does not mean that you should spend it on something that may be unsafe for your loved ones.

I was once told during my advanced driving school that a car is a "legal" weapon and it should only be put in the hands of someone that can control it.

If you think that she is inexperianced then you should tell her that you will buy her something that looks as good but not as powerfull and when she proves to you that she can handle it then you will buy her something better than an XR5.

Tadka has picked a nice car for her (the orange one), but some XR5 wheels on and it will look nice.
---->T2 TS50 (#42) Venom<---- T2 TS50 factory manual :
big-e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its amazing what drug money can buy these days.

But seriously, if she's only 17 I wouldn't, the chances are it will get crashed within the first month.

Sure she's not a gold digger?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #37
honer
Back to N/A land

I call BS

In the "Unwanted Prize FG XR8 For Sale" thread you claim you can't afford a V8 yet.

Have a sudden turn around in finances overnight did we ?
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #38
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by honer
I call BS

In the "Unwanted Prize FG XR8 For Sale" thread you claim you can't afford a V8 yet.

Have a sudden turn around in finances overnight did we ?
I'll second that call

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...64#post2481464
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #39
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Going by experience I would not spend more than $5k on a car for someone that age regardless them being male or female. Your going to make mistakes in your first car, scraping it in shopping centre carparks etc. Plus she won't appreciate a new car by having a new car as her first.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #40
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What does it bloody matter how much money or how he got it?

Mate I would not buy her the car purely because you have said you think she has no experience and you don't seem quite confident in her abilities. You have answered your own question really.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #41
tassie devil

i would say go for the xr4 instead the xr5 is a bit to powerful for a young driver
but at the end of the day its up to you
tassie devil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #42
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I don't want to ask you how you got the money, not really any of my business, but what I will say is this, you say your not stupid or wasteful with money, yet your willing to fork out on a new car for a 17 year old, that to me is being wasteful with the money. You will automatically lose a fair bit of money without any real gain. That alone doesn't make sense to me.
Old 13-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #43
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Sure she's not a gold digger?
Being Tasmania its probably his Sister....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #44
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I think it comes down to how much faith you have in her skill and maturity in driving a fast car like an XR5. If she is a sensible girl with a knack for driving, why not? As long as you can afford a mid-30k turbo + insurance for a 17 year old...

I know it's irrelevant, but as some have pointed out, eyes87 IS inconsistent with his claims about money 'not being an issue' etc etc

from another thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
id have to sell it. beautioful car and all but i know i can't afford a v8 yet. not with all the kms i do to get to work. very nice still
If "money is no problem" I don't think you'd have a problem with the running costs of an XR8. Not calling you a liar, I'm just curious...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #45
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on how much money there is to burn.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #46
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
i got alot.
oodles apparently.

I've got half a mil in monopoly money.
Old 14-01-2009, 12:24 AM   #47
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

38k+ for the car 2k insurance
then probly $1200 excess for the first dent
Then insurance premium will be about 3k and so on
Pretty good chance of this happening. I'll put half a mil of monopoly money on it.

Oi Tadka got a business venture for you 50/50 split you interested
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #48
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in regards to the quote. i don't touch the money for things like petrol and day to day stuff like petrol and groceries. i travel a bit of distance to work every day and the job im in doesn't really pay enough to allow me a v8 like that without touching the money.
thats what i ment by "can't afford it"
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #49
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get her a crapper for her first car, once she is off her Ps and proven she can drive, get her something nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #50
Captain Falcon
FALCON PAWWWNCH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
oodles apparently.

I've got half a mil in monopoly money.
And the house he own's is on Mayfair :evil_laug

Coz only hairdressers use blow dryers! :evil3:
Captain Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #51
Corzza

XR5 with 166kw she wont be allowed to drive it legally.

Unless shes off her P's

Im paying 2k insurance on my F6 at the mo. So you are getting slugged for the XR5.

I say have a look around for an XR4. It would be a much better car for her. Then perhaps in 3 years time go get her a XR5.By that stage the knot will be tied

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #52
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very judgemental forum considering all i wanted to know is are they as powerfull as ive heard. thanks for all the advise tho.

cheers
Old 14-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #53
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Eyes87. Firstly the XR5 is a quick car, too quick in my opinion for a 17 year old, second congratulations if you can afford to buy it, third and I may upset you with this mate but I would not be spending in excess of 35 big ones on a 17 year old fiance. Ive been married 10 years been with my wife 15 years have 2 kids and would buy her the car but mate you guys are still young, you are probably her first and if not you haven't been together a long time so its my opinion you are risking blowing your money if you split. As a 18 year old my wife bought her then boyfriend a motorbike, she still spews about it 18 years later
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #54
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol. yeah i can see that side of it. i don't rekon she'll be getting one now. im just not comfortable with her having that much power
Old 14-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #55
TadKa
Wait? What?

Go for the orange focus I think at Tilford and wack some nice wheels on it. maybe even get some xr5 ones from somwhere. Are you in Hobart?

Also I'm fairly sure P platers are fine to drive turbo and 8's in Tas. At least we used to be.

My falcon might be up for sale in a month or two Hopefully getting my bosses Alfa Brera as a work car when he upgrades to a 911. Will miss the falcon though if it happens.
Old 14-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #56
BlackLS
yum

What's that song by Kanye West and Jamie Foxx?

My first car has 51HP. And even that much power sure got me into a lot of trouble.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #57
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lol. yeah i can see that side of it. i don't rekon she'll be getting one now. im just not comfortable with her having that much power
So now you're not buying one? .... "how convenient"

You knew how much power the XR5 had before you initially started the thread, a simple 2 minute search on the internet would have provided such information.

Go Ahead .... "Buy one, stick your girlfriend in the drivers seat, take a picture and post it up"

Or alternatively, don't overdo the Jelly Beans in future, get all over-excited and post such nonscence!

"Judgemental" .... No
"Older, Wiser and able to smell BS a mile away" ..... YES!

Unless you've won the Gold Lotto or come into a significant inheritance I would doubt that most 21 year olds would even have worked enough years to have paid off the house .... "even in Tasmania".

I think statements like "Money is no Object" or similar, should be left to those fortunate enough in life to make such bold statements.

Last edited by robjh80; 14-01-2009 at 03:33 PM.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #58
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A new guy walks into the AFF Bar and goes sprouting on about how much money he has.....

Just cos a few of the more seasoned members gave a little bit of a flame, doesn't necessarily make this a judgemental forum. You would probably find that there's a whole heap of help out there to those with legitamite questions. Not saying this isn't legit, but from the outset you were on a fast-track to get a few offside.

Try walk into any other bar telling people that you've got a lot of money and see what type of reception you receive
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #59
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i never said that i paid the house off thrugh money i got from working. if youd read my posts properly you would have seen that i didn't say i was getting one. just asking for advise about getting one. i don't really care whether you believe me or not.

for those that have offered advise, thanks.
for those that have given sarcasim. don't bother replying to any further threads of mine. no one is forcing you to read something you don't want to.
Old 14-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #60
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can understand that but i wasn't sprouting about how much ive got. i was asked if i can afford it. and i said that
the money wasn't a problem. probably could have worded it better