Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Such emotion and passion. I have not read anything like this since the last V8 vs T6 or T3 vs BA GT war.

Just a few minor points.

There are many stretches on the main highways that are far more than 200km between anything let alone towns so the 200km idea is a bit wrong. The concept that you live in the suburbs and only travel to regional areas on the main highway is not true for many Australians. I suspect may be a bit of a pain if the nearest LPG is over 100km away when you need to fill up every week.

The pollution replies had me checking if I had accidentally logged into the Prius forum by mistake. Bob Brown will be so proud of you. Why don't you take the train or ride a pushbike?

Some of the savings calculations were a little bit interesting, 17 years ago petrol was half the price it was now so the savings would have been half what you are saving now. You cant just multiply last year by 17.

Almost every member who is very passionate about LPG appears to live in a major city and is driving a converted second hand car that are mostly dual fuel on a commuter basis.

So it comes back to "saving money" which on a forum that features so many who will happily spend $4000 on a set of wheels or $10,000 of engine modifications or $50,000 restoring a 40 year old sedan, LPG is just ONE feature that may or may not suit a particular situation, not the holy grail, messiah and nirvana all rolled into one automotive orgasm.

The reality is that if LPG were THE answer then all around the world LPG powered vehicles would be commonplace.
There are many Diesels, E85s, Hybrids, Electrics and even Hydrogen powered vehicles but outside Australia LPG is almost as rare as rocking horse poo.
Countries like Japan, Korea and even USA, all of which have huge motor vehicle manufacturers in addition to pollution problems and fuel shortages don't seem to have jumped on the LPG bandwagon.

To me LPG is just a fuel. like diesel or petrol and if I were in a situation where it would be useful to me I would concider it but at this time the cons outweigh the pros. I don't live in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane.
It was less than 5 years ago that I had to plan many trips in advance and carry a 20l jerrycan in the boot of my GT-P (which I used several times) due to the rarity of premium unleaded let alone 98 and the BA GT-P did NOT run on 91.

Right now I run 98 almost exclusively, not 95, ULP or e10 with shopper dockets. It costs more but for me works better. If I wanted to save money on fuel I would buy a diesel hyundai.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #32
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Maybe his 17 year figures were largely inflation-adjusted figures. Yes petrol has moved with inflation, albeit extremely roughly.
And flappist,
Here's the LPG finder for you
although maybe at your age, this might be a more useful finder
Old 29-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Maybe his 17 year figures were largely inflation-adjusted figures. Yes petrol has moved with inflation, albeit extremely roughly.
And flappist,
Here's the LPG finder for you
although maybe at your age, this might be a more useful finder
Well after using your LPG finder I have confirmed that LPG is not available in many of the places I travel to and through. Maybe you should have checked it before making your 200km statement earlier.

As far as the childish personal attack about my age, most of the admins on AFF are about my age or older so you might want to be a bit careful in the future or your username and/or smilies could end up red....
Old 29-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #34
xy500
Constant annoyance

never had a problem finding lpg stations in country SW WA.
And i can't afford 4 grand wheels or anything of the like, or even a getz if i was that way inclined :ymca:
i bought a cheap (2 grand) old falcon on lpg, it costs a little more than half to run on lpg than petrol. And thats important if your not as rich as flappist, cos i need the money to buy food!
No need to get revved up about the age joke flappist, is not our fault you act like an old man!

Last edited by xy500; 29-05-2009 at 12:33 PM.
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #35
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Woah, hold on there mate, i was joking.
Old 29-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #36
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really dont understand why the Govt and business buy any petrol falcons? The gas ones are cheaper to run, and are worth more when you sell...

My boss is the same, dont get it... buys all sorts of cars with bad resale expensive to run etc, and dismisses gas...
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #37
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Such emotion and passion. I have not read anything like this since the last V8 vs T6 or T3 vs BA GT war.

Just a few minor points.

There are many stretches on the main highways that are far more than 200km between anything let alone towns so the 200km idea is a bit wrong. The concept that you live in the suburbs and only travel to regional areas on the main highway is not true for many Australians. I suspect may be a bit of a pain if the nearest LPG is over 100km away when you need to fill up every week.

The pollution replies had me checking if I had accidentally logged into the Prius forum by mistake. Bob Brown will be so proud of you. Why don't you take the train or ride a pushbike?

Some of the savings calculations were a little bit interesting, 17 years ago petrol was half the price it was now so the savings would have been half what you are saving now. You cant just multiply last year by 17.

Almost every member who is very passionate about LPG appears to live in a major city and is driving a converted second hand car that are mostly dual fuel on a commuter basis.

So it comes back to "saving money" which on a forum that features so many who will happily spend $4000 on a set of wheels or $10,000 of engine modifications or $50,000 restoring a 40 year old sedan, LPG is just ONE feature that may or may not suit a particular situation, not the holy grail, messiah and nirvana all rolled into one automotive orgasm.

The reality is that if LPG were THE answer then all around the world LPG powered vehicles would be commonplace.
There are many Diesels, E85s, Hybrids, Electrics and even Hydrogen powered vehicles but outside Australia LPG is almost as rare as rocking horse poo.
Countries like Japan, Korea and even USA, all of which have huge motor vehicle manufacturers in addition to pollution problems and fuel shortages don't seem to have jumped on the LPG bandwagon.

To me LPG is just a fuel. like diesel or petrol and if I were in a situation where it would be useful to me I would concider it but at this time the cons outweigh the pros. I don't live in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane.
It was less than 5 years ago that I had to plan many trips in advance and carry a 20l jerrycan in the boot of my GT-P (which I used several times) due to the rarity of premium unleaded let alone 98 and the BA GT-P did NOT run on 91.

Right now I run 98 almost exclusively, not 95, ULP or e10 with shopper dockets. It costs more but for me works better. If I wanted to save money on fuel I would buy a diesel hyundai.
Ok, so it doesn't work for you, but it works for some of us. Can we all please just leave it at that and not have the thread possibly closed?

Anyway it will be of benefit to those who already buy Egas cars, and hopefully will sway those who otherwise buy a smaller, more fuel efficient car to the Ford brand. It could also win some brownie points with greenies, being less polluting and all, and hopefully might allow more fleet sales to those who have their hands tied with regulation on emissions.

For those who do live in the capital cities (around 63% of the population. You could also add other large cities like Newcastle, Wollongong, etc), it could be a viable alternative to a hyundai as far as fuel costs go.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #38
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
No need to get revved up about the age joke flappist, is not our fault you act like an old man!
Hey back off
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #39
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wasn't the one who originally bagged out a product and made sweeping generalisations. Our passion comes from people who do just that. We get it often and in many instances have to correct so many falicies such as the ones you portray.
Old 29-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
never had a problem finding lpg stations in country SW WA.
And i can't afford 4 grand wheels or anything of the like, or even a getz if i was that way inclined :ymca:
i bought a cheap (2 grand) old falcon on lpg, it costs a little more than half to run on lpg than petrol. And thats important if your not as rich as flappist, cos i need the money to buy food!
So then you are using LPG purely as an operating cost saving measure.

If LPG was about the same price as petrol would you still use it?
If it became dearer would you still use it for all the "other" reasons given above?

LPG will always be cheaper? If ALL cars were LPG then ALL of the tax and excise would come from LPG.
Do you think they would just reduce their income?
Do you think there is enough LPG in Australia to run ALL cars?
The more LPG users there are the more expensive LPG will become.

I grew up in country service station. Diesel was once half the price of petrol. Two years ago it was at least 30% more than PULP, now it is just slightly more than ULP and less than PULP.

The Toorak Tractor 4WD market is full of diesels. Ya gotta be a diesel mate....(with DVD player so you can watch movies of the desert and mountains while sitting in the golf club car park).
A couple of years ago Toyota were flogging their V8 petrol cruiser with a $17,000 factory discount. Together with the then $4000 difference in price to the diesel it work out that at an average 20,000km/year you would not need to pay for fuel for about 5 years and it would be 12 years before you caught up. That is 240,000km.
So how many petrol cruisers did they sell. Bugger all.
Why? Coz ya gotta be a diesel mate...resale...coz ya gotta be a diesel mate.
They are cheaper to run, more reliable, less polution...(where have I heard this before)

So to get back to the LPG idea. Yes it is good for part of the market but is not good for all or even most of it.

Why do the government and fleet buyers still mostly buy petrol instead of LPG or diesel (and PULP)?

Probably because it is a lot cheaper and easier to have one technology and to not have to worry about sending 3 new LPG station wagons for the department of silly walks to Birdsville only to find the nearest fuel is 500km away.

Government money is free .

If they had any sense all of their "company" cars would be diesel hyundais with 5 year unlimited warranties and replaced only every 5 years but that will never happen, after all it is free money and public vegetables just LOVE shiny new toys to play with.
Old 29-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #41
Mr Hardware

Public Servant here
i drive a govt triton diseasel
it does 12.5L/100klms on mixed driving
diseasel economy is the biggest joke known to man
the sums don't add up for diseasel, they do for LPG.
Old 29-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

lol, Flapist stop poking the LPG fanboys, while amusing it like the Boss v I6T debates it goes no where and people don't change their minds.
Old 29-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Public Servant here
i drive a govt triton diseasel
it does 12.5L/100klms on mixed driving
diseasel economy is the biggest joke known to man
the sums don't add up for diseasel, they do for LPG.
Hang on...... all the diesel zealots swear black and blue that diesel is the second coming........petrol and LPG are crap, diesel is the way the truth and the light.........they have driven from Perth to Sydney on half a stubby of diesel.......diesel makes the sun come up in the morning and diesel will cure swine flu and diesel wil fix climate change .......how could they possibly be so deluded.....
Old 29-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #44
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

just did the distance check 147 km for me and also no 98 in town either ,great for a small market as already posted ,but all the lease cars bma have will be staying petrol ,so no benefit for a major player .with the economy of these new diesels i doubt this will ever get big enough for it to prop up a business, money would be better spent on other fuels/ technologies i believe.
Old 29-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #45
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Hang on...... all the diesel zealots swear black and blue that diesel is the second coming........petrol and LPG are crap, diesel is the way the truth and the light.........they have driven from Perth to Sydney on half a stubby of diesel.......diesel makes the sun come up in the morning and diesel will cure swine flu and diesel wil fix climate change .......how could they possibly be so deluded.....
a friend came around this morning in his pajero towing his new boat 200 k from town with a fuel use of 10.5 ,he only mentioned it cause he towed his little old boat in and got 10.2 find me petrols that can do that in a large 4wd

I agree with old mate that some diesels are over rated and thirsty but the good 1s will do 7/8/9 litres to the hundred so no savings there ,this is purely a commuter fuel i believe ,gas that is
Old 29-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #46
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Flappist has a point here, wasn't it all the diesel this and diesel that guys that bagged Ford for not doing it in the territory 4 years ago?
As for LPG conversions; never.
Factory LPG, maybe.

LPG when burning is quite dry and does not lubricate some parts of the head like petrol does, it also tends to cause a higher head temperature in vehicles not designed with this in mind. How many mitsubishis or toyotas have you guys seen with blue smoke and an LPG sticker? Probably the reason for that flashlube garbage.\

Also, LPG changes the composition of oil and many an LPG converted engine have shown pitting and corrosion on the bearings.
Nope, 98 premium only for my G6

Quote: