Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #31
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

There is a lot to learn:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
The following would guarantee my repeat business for servicing my Fairmont and Focus:
  • Competence at what they do
  • Showing a difference over non-dealer servicing - eg: "we noticed there was a TSB for you model so we applied for you at no charge"
  • inspiring confidence that I won't find a problem with the car a few hours later
  • Good customer service
  • Appreciation of my business

The price to me is not critical - I would be willing to pay an extra $100-200 per service at a dealer vs Kmart / Ultra Tune /etc if I was getting all of the above.

My last service experience was a great example of one of Brisbane's major Ford dealerships getting about 0 out of 10 for all of the above.
  • Booked my car in for a 9am job. Said what I thought the problem was.
  • Was told it would be ready by 4pm
  • Arrived back at 3pm
  • Car still not moved from where I left it
  • Service people hurriedly replaced the part that I mentioned
  • Did not carry out any further investigations
  • Had car back to me 45 mins after promised time
  • Said they road tested and the problem was gone, but the odometer showed less than 1km more than when I dropped it off
  • Car still has the same problem

I remember back in the mid 90s I owned a Camry V6 - the top of the range of the old narrow bodied model. Southside Toyota servicing was fairly expensive, but they were always on time, the courtesy bus was clean, they gave a full debrief on the service and what to look for next time, and they always presented the car back to me in great condition - cleaned inside and out delivered to the reception door with the aircon on. My typical experience at Ford is - "your cars out the back somewhere", "I think everything went OK - the guy who worked on it has gone home", and about 50% of the time there is a reason for the car to be back at the service centre soon after for follow up work.

My car has never been serviced / mechanically worked on by anyone other than a Ford dealer but the experience above, has pushed me towards getting future work done elsewhere. More significantly, stories of great service from brands such as Toyota, Mazda, Mini and others has me looking elsewhere for my next car, when I'd happily have another Focus and Falcon in my garage.

When I have friends being invited by their car dealer to track days and new model launches, while I can see this as a sales tactic and it will add a few $ to costs here and there, they are also the kind of things that would have me coming back for brand loyalty.

One of the key reasons I bought the Fairmont was for ease of servicing as one of the most popular cars in Australia. Ford service is the main reason my 2 Fords will probably be replaced by other brands in the next 12 months.

MK
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Interesting thread cant wait to see what unfolds. I doubt you will allowed OUT THE BACK.
As for the 10 year warranty i doubt that aswell.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #33
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand all this bad Ford service will stop me from buying another Ford buisness. If you dont like the service take your car elsewhere. As long as it is serviced by a licensed mechanic it can't effect your new car warranty. You might even save a bit of coin and a lot of trouble in the process. If your worried about genuine parts then ask them to use genuine parts its that simple.

As for the op, I have also never heard of this 10 year 200,000k warranty care to shed some more light?
I also know I hate working with someone looking over my shoulder and I highly doubt Ford would let you in their workshop to do this. As already said OHS.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #34
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LMAO, watching your car get serviced at a dealership good Luck it's called OH&S it's not ya local mechanic or tuner who will bend the rules a bit because they can get away with it.

This mechanic that you don't even know and have never met is not going to be very appreciative of you standing over his shoulder wile he is trying to work. As a Tradesman i can tell you there is nothing more annoying than some random standing there watching what you are doing. A question or 2 or a quick sticky beak no worries but if ya not contributing to the job then F-off and let me work.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #35
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Longest warranty I can get is the 5 year extended one with an extra 3 years IF I get it serviced from a particular Ford dealer which I do. Other than that .... there is nothing on offer.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #36
EgoXR

Id have to agree , I was always a bit sus on dealership services, ie: getting your car serviced by a 1st yr apprentice.
I have not had my car serviced by ford before but have had some warranty issues sorted. I found the experience pleasurable and was very happy with the service, they provided. There was even follow up phone calls to ensure everything was ok.
EgoXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #37
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner
My warranty runs out if I reach 200,000kms or 10 years.

The car is only 6 years, so it will run out, obviously at 200,000ks before it hits 10 years.

good luck getting a 200,000km/10 yr warranty from Ford buddy..you'll need it.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Geez, isn't there a golf course nearby? A strip club? A bowling green?

I couldn't think of anything worse to spend my day off than peering into a workshop. What is it you expect to see from 30 meters away?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #39
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

When I went on holiday to Tasmania, I had to go to a Ford dealership in Hobart to get a wheel bearing done.

They had a waiting room with a viewing area behind a glass window with magazines, coffee and cookies.

It was a good setup. You could see your car in full view and the work they do on it.

Have to also add - They had great service there.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #40
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Plenty of dealers have glass walls to view cars being serviced. The Ford dealer in Newcastle does.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #41
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

At Subaru Docklands (Melbourne) I get very good treatment when I take my Liberty in twice a year, maybe because it is a 'premium' brand ? Anyway I receive :

Pre-booked time to take the car in, with text message the day before as a reminder. Car booked on the internet or through the call centre.

Service advisor meets you in the garage in the morning when you drop your car off, and greets you by your first name with a clipboard listing the car and type of work it is in for.

Get asked if I require the free courtesy bus back to the CBD (I never need it)

Get a free coffee voucher (usually) to use if waiting in the upstairs cafe

Asked when I would like the car back, and if I need the courtesy pick up (I never do)

Get rung close to that time later in the day, and head back to pick up the car.

Follow up call from customer service to check on my experience at Docklands.

The only down side is the handing over of the minimum $350+ !!! But there you go, you get what you pay for I guess.

Last edited by FairmontPom; 07-07-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #42
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Swapping off a brand because you had a bad dealer service experience makes about as much sense as giving up eating steak because you don't like your local butcher.....

Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #43
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is 1 of the funest threads I have ever read. I'm sorry but it is!!!!!!!!
Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #44
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Swapping off a brand because you had a bad dealer service experience makes about as much sense as giving up eating steak because you don't like your local butcher.....
The service experience after you buy means alot to many people. Who wants to buy a car knowing that they'll likely go through hell for the life of the car at Ford service centres? I've had terrible experiences at Ford service centres but I won't jump brands because I love Fords. I also own a Holden and their service has been nothing special either. Maybe it's just something with the local manufacturers and their large dealer networks.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #45
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
The service experience after you buy means alot to many people. Who wants to buy a car knowing that they'll likely go through hell for the life of the car at Ford service centres? I've had terrible experiences at Ford service centres but I won't jump brands because I love Fords. I also own a Holden and their service has been nothing special either. Maybe it's just something with the local manufacturers and their large dealer networks.
This is what I dont understand, why not take it somewhere else if your not happy. The only reason I could think of as to why anyone would take their Ford to a dealer to get serviced is if you have one of those additional dealer (not factory) warranties that requires you to get your car serviced at that particular dealer.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #46
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am alright with them telling me it is an OHS risk if I stand in their garage to see them do their job. But I don't see a problem if I am standing just outside their garage door. And if they don't even let me do that, I don't mind. Because my personal mechanic is a good friend of mine and he will take me through the whole service procedure (I asked him, he said he will show me exactly what he does, and that's the main reason I want to see Fords service). If they let me down.

Then seeya later Ford Service.

Only reason I am with ford service is because I have about 30,000 kms left of warranty.

But I am willing to sacrifice that for a better service, better price and better customer service.

You don't need to have a dealer service to keep your warranty. If that's what they told you then they lied to you. Any qualified mechanic can do a vehicle service.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #47
rusty 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the field trip actually sounds like a good idea,
if i cant make it can someone video the sump plug removal and replacement, maybe some engine bay pics
cheers
rusty 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #48
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I have never had any trouble with Ford service anywhere.

My first dealer sold the car new and the new car dealer always looked after me. Second dealer up here in QLD one of the service managers is a T Series nut so has always looked after me.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #49
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

yeah, this thread is funny. We have people that walk into my workshop and want to watch. Our Insurance policy (and everyone elses i would assume) does not allow non-employees to set one foot in the workshop. We have to kindly ask them to leave. If this upsets the customer then so be it. I would rather not pay the medical bills for someone who is injured over a $200 service. However we do have a viewing window into our workshop and they are welcome to watch if they want to from a distance.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #50
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

You wont gain anything from peering at a distance.

Provided its only a straightforward service, the only way of getting sufficiently involved is to do it yourself. Then you really know its done properly and as a bonus you get to choose your own lubricants and see the condition of the various parts yourself. And if you stuff anything up you've only yourself to blame, then you go about fixing it yourself.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #51
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilXY
This is what I dont understand, why not take it somewhere else if your not happy.
"Ford service centres" was plural.

-Macarthur Ford
-Peter Warren Ford
-Dominelli Ford

I'm now on to my 4th, Dale Ford. They seem to be pretty good so far. They actually seem to give a **** about my cars.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #52
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
You don't need to have a dealer service to keep your warranty. If that's what they told you then they lied to you. Any qualified mechanic can do a vehicle service.
If the dealer has supplied an extra warranty (which i would say is whats happened here) and that warranty is dependent on the dealer servicing the vehicle, then they are well within their rights to say that it must be serviced by the selling dealership to maintain the warranty.

In the case of a factory warranty then yes get it serviced by a Qualified technician wherever you want. Just keep in mind that once your Ford is out of warranty and you have an unusual issue, the first thing that Ford customer assistance asks the dealer is has the vehicle been serviced at a Ford dealership within the servicing guidelines? If the answer is no than you run the risk of getting no help from Ford Motor Company.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In 20 years and literally dozens of new cars from both Ford and Holden i can say with a fair amount of certainty that the quality of dealer service can vary from day to day, dealer to dealer and brand to brand....
Some dealers are better than others getting it right more often, but branding has little to do with it, each dealer is its own "company" in this regard.
If you don't like the service you get from your dealer discuss it with them, if they don't address it this and next time shop the service to another dealer
But don't fool yourself into believing the grass is greener over the other side, The enjoyment of the product you wanted is with you for the life of the car, servicing it to your satisfaction can be done by most competent dealers and service centres, changing brands wont solve this....

Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #54
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"Ford service centres" was plural.

-Macarthur Ford
-Peter Warren Ford
-Dominelli Ford

I'm now on to my 4th, Dale Ford. They seem to be pretty good so far.
They are all Ford dealers. Ever thought of finding a good local bloke? Not having a go, just really curious as to why you would put up with all that 'garbage' that goes on.

Also don't think im having a go at a ford serive department, I have never dealt with one so i have no beef. Just going off what alot of people say on here.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #55
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
In 20 years and literally dozens of new cars from both Ford and Holden i can say with a fair amount of certainty that the quality of dealer service can vary from day to day, dealer to dealer and brand to brand....
Some dealers are better than others getting it right more often, but branding has little to do with it, each dealer is its own "company" in this regard.
If you don't like the service you get from your dealer discuss it with them, if they don't address it this and next time shop the service to another dealer
But don't fool yourself into believing the grass is greener over the other side, The enjoyment of the product you wanted is with you for the life of the car, servicing it to your satisfaction can be done by most competent dealers and service centres, changing brands wont solve this....
Indeed the grass isn't greener on the other side. No way you'd see me in a Toyota or Honda because their service has a better reputation. But to some people, cars are just a mode of transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilXY
They are all Ford dealers. Ever thought of finding a good local bloke? Not having a go, just really curious as to why you would put up with all that 'garbage' that goes on.

Also don't think im having a go at a ford serive department, I have never dealt with one so i have no beef. Just going off what alot of people say on here.
The majority of my gripes come from warranty items, things not being fixed properly or coming back worse - so I need Ford centres. They'll have on the invoice, "Tested OK", but when I drive out of the place, the problem is still there. It took Ford 3 attempts to fix a simple rattling heat shield before they ripped it off altogether. It took 4 months to get the rear suspension issues sorted in the Terri. I can't actually recall a time that I've had something repaired without going back a week later. Only 2 weeks ago I went to get the door trim on the FG fixed under warranty for rattling. I drove out of the service centre and it was still rattling and squeaking. They also kindly left some kind of grease on the leather. It irks me, but my hands are tied in terms of warranty.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #56
timmo

I wouldn't mind seeing the effort that is required to fit ignition leads to an AU XR8 that would require the $447 quote for labour alone...$897 in total.
Phone conversation:
FD:"we've found the problem, seems one of the leads is worn out. We can replace the set for you, but they're pretty expensive"
ME:"how expensive?"
FD:"$897 installed"
ME:"Really?"
FD:"yep, so we can get that done for you this arvo if you want"
ME:"No mate, that's okay...'
FD:"So you don't want us to fix the car??" (shocked)
ME:"yeah, leave it alone, I'll come and pick it up"

Imagine paying that??
timmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 02:05 AM   #57
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what are the leads made of for these new models???
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 04:27 AM   #58
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
what are the leads made of for these new models???
Gold...... Just like every other ford part.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 05:25 AM   #59
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i thought as much.

sometimes i feel bad for all the people out there paying ~$500 for a set of leads because they can't do it themselves, due to health issues or age.

for the rest, i don't feel so bad at all...
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #60
Micksxboxmods
BF FPV GT-P Goodness.....

Quote:
I hope to see what they do to my car so I can justify the cost.

Sorry, if you don't understand me, but I am one of those guys that takes photos of my whole car from ever angle, including the engine bay and underside.

And if something is not right, I have proof and I then I have a claim.

It would be just nice to see how Ford Service do their work. I don't know why some of you are getting worked up, I just want to see what they do! No big deal... Right?
Its ok to be fussy, however, if you were to hang around like you dont trust them, rest assured something untoward would happen as soon as you looked away.

Take it to a mechanic who you trust to avoid the hassle of standing there for a day.

I took my car to fraud once, they did not fix any of my warranty concerns, thrashed f... out of my car..as I witnessed it (all 6 times, musta been taking it in turns), used about 200km of petrol....then what do you do???

you cannot do anything as you cannot prove 'beyond a reasonable doubt'........

If you have kids, wife, mates, spend the day with them instead.
Micksxboxmods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post