Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the go?
V8SC is dead, I will support the new formats 87 39.01%
FORD are nuts, V8SC is king, BMW will steal Ford's market share 14 6.28%
Meh, all motor racing is a circus 10 4.48%
Stuff Ford, I am defecting to Holden or BMW 3 1.35%
What a great idea, real racing in real cars, I hope Holden eventually join in as well 104 46.64%
I follow the drivers not the marques, it is all the same to me 5 2.24%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #31
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh and on a side note, if the current V8 series sells cars, why isn't the XR8 the top selling Ford? I rest my case.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #32
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also boris. There are already rules governing turbo v na race cars. Its cubic capacity multiplying. I think the old formula was x 1.6.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #33
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I voted its dead, and thats becasue it is, i watched the last bit of the race today and for the 1st time in a long time i didn't give a crap that it was a holden 1&2 finish, for me V8supercars is no more
Old 02-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #34
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Not again....

The V8 super cars is a great series at the moment, its pulling in crowds and money. Production racing isn't, and i won't in today's world.

Some people seem to forget that you have an 'ignore' function, that is if the v8's bother you that much turn on SBS and see drivel of production car racing on offer.

As with every racing category, it changes with the times. All these people with rose glasses look back and think that production racing should still be the main attraction of motor sport and that race specials will be built and we will have our precious road racers, that's not going to happen.

A close look at some major overseas formulas (Super GT, DTM etc) show that they all have one thing in common, cars that bare little connection to road going cars, but they are all successful and pull the crowds. Changing the V8 will sell it short, and would look silly as a premier category of the country if it was a heavily production based formula.

Comparing V8's with NASCAR is juvenile, NASCAR (Sprint cup) use one body shape with painted on grills, have a chassis more like a 70's speedway car, no electronic gadgets, cabies... Most major racing series have control components.

If the v8's were going to a production formula, it would have to be similar to Super GT. But then who knows more manufacturers come in and all of a sudden Australia doesn't have a unique indigenous racing series.

Fomular 1 once had production cars aswell....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #35
turbo4me

To me the V8 supercars was dead when they brought in the sprint tyre. You need to be bloody near a genius to figure out what is going on. When i watch the racing i have got no interest at all until they have done all their stops. So i normally turn over to something else until about an hour before the finish of the race so i know what's actually going on.
If they do this BS next year i wont even bother
Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #36
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

Comparing V8's with NASCAR is juvenile, NASCAR (Sprint cup) use one body shape with painted on grills, have a chassis more like a 70's speedway car, no electronic gadgets, cabies... Most major racing series have control components.

Brave comment, I would say not seeing the progression over the last 5-10 years from something that at least resembled the road cars to what it is now is naive.

We are only a couple of years of progresson at this present rate when they do achieve nascar levels of "same car, different markings". I mean look at them now, same tyres, brakes, gear boxes, diff's, suspension, electronics and the only difference is the engine and original body (which has been modified to nothing like stock). I would say nascar is a great example.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #37
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No Boss or LS motor in the V8 SC...

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #38
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Not again....

The V8 super cars is a great series at the moment, its pulling in crowds and money. Production racing isn't, and i won't in today's world.

Some people seem to forget that you have an 'ignore' function, that is if the v8's bother you that much turn on SBS and see drivel of production car racing on offer.

As with every racing category, it changes with the times. All these people with rose glasses look back and think that production racing should still be the main attraction of motor sport and that race specials will be built and we will have our precious road racers, that's not going to happen.

A close look at some major overseas formulas (Super GT, DTM etc) show that they all have one thing in common, cars that bare little connection to road going cars, but they are all successful and pull the crowds. Changing the V8 will sell it short, and would look silly as a premier category of the country if it was a heavily production based formula.

If the v8's were going to a production formula, it would have to be similar to Super GT. But then who knows more manufacturers come in and all of a sudden Australia doesn't have a unique indigenous racing series.

Fomular 1 once had production cars aswell....
And you missed the point.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #39
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I'd watch the new formats and V8SCs as well, as long as it didnt become the "holden cup" and end up being a 1 make series. I like the fact that the V8 supercars are purpose built race cars that race in a parity formula, it makes for good racing. Did anyone watch Sandown race 2 today? How could you say that wasn't good racing?

I just wish it was more about the drivers than the marques, more like NASCAR. I like the Holden/Ford rivalry but it gets a bit much sometimes.

Everybody seems to forget that there is already a class for "real cars" the GT Production championship and nobody watches it!

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #40
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

As of the end of this season Ford are pulling out of V8SC completely and FPR will concentrate its efforts on other events.
Does anyone have a link to an official press release about this ?

I cant seem to find anything.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #41
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsybutler
+1 for racing real cars. Luckily I am old enough to remember seeing the Australian touring car scene from 1970 onwards. For me there was nothing better than seeing cars of all types from the mighty HO's to Dato 1000 coupes racing around at Bathurst (some with number plates still attached). Still get excited about Bathurst but my heart just isn't in the V8SC.
Ah, you mean like the old Beechy/Moffat/Jane braking duels at the and of the main straight at Calder. :
Old 02-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #42
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Does anyone have a link to an official press release about this ?

I cant seem to find anything.
It's a hypothetical.....

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #43
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4me
To me the V8 supercars was dead when they brought in the sprint tyre. You need to be bloody near a genius to figure out what is going on. When i watch the racing i have got no interest at all until they have done all their stops. So i normally turn over to something else until about an hour before the finish of the race so i know what's actually going on.
If they do this BS next year i wont even bother
I am against the sprint tyre myself too and it might be interesting to see a poll on the subject.

I would love the series to be more production based but I can't foresee me not ever watching even if they did go control everything/different marques etc. It still has that real driver element to it.

I can't watch F1 because it's like watching slot cars. I do know that heaps of skill is required to drive F1s but it's so bloody boring to watch.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #44
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one other thing just popped into mind if they televised historic touring cars alot more then they do and put more rounds in there session i recon it would take of once people started seeing it the racing in that category keeps you on the edge of your seat

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #45
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
I'd watch the new formats and V8SCs as well, as long as it didnt become the "holden cup" and end up being a 1 make series. I like the fact that the V8 supercars are purpose built race cars that race in a parity formula, it makes for good racing. Did anyone watch Sandown race 2 today? How could you say that wasn't good racing?

I just wish it was more about the drivers than the marques, more like NASCAR. I like the Holden/Ford rivalry but it gets a bit much sometimes.

Everybody seems to forget that there is already a class for "real cars" the GT Production championship and nobody watches it!
Gee I wonder if no ones watching the 'GT Production' racing has anything to do with the lack of promoting it.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #46
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I would like to see this but it would be hard to get going. If people would go to the event it would be a great start and I'm sure OneHD would like to put it into their format (as Ch 10 lost the V8SC).
But the formula would have to be made in a way to make sure its even. No point in having racing where one team dominates and wins by a huge margin.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Gee I wonder if no ones watching the 'GT Production' racing has anything to do with the lack of promoting it.

If everyone is so willing to go watch production car racing:

http://www.pcaa.com.au/index.php?opt...tpage&Itemid=1
Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #48
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I find it amussing that everyone or atleast the majority of people here say V8 supercar's is dead and I hate it, blah, blah, but these inturpretation's and comment's have only been brought on since the defection of tripple 8.
We never seen thread's like this and comment's like these in previous yr's, why, because Ford was winning and dominating.
But now since we know this is not going to happen so often, we all cry mercy and think the sport is a shambles, and then we say thing's like,
"even my mates that are Holden fans think the sport is a joke", um probably because they have been out performed by Ford over the last few yr's, they were at the same place we Ford fan's feel we are at now with the new's about Tripple 8.
I don't know about you blokes but in the day's of the HRT/Toll/and TWR dominace when Ford was a real joke in V8 supercar's, I still wore my Ford Racing Australia gear proudly every day.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #49
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm different format: how about this ... single car teams only, that way there`s less double teaming on track, tactics would be be less effective, the little less equitable teams might be in with more of a chance, everyone runs the one type of tyre as many as you like , with car failure`s this would also add to more chances of a different winner , also .... drivers announcing switching camps mid year (and spoiling the fans racing for the year) get coil voltage to the b a l l s when ever first place is reached from half laps completed onwards this would lead too much fan base satisfaction and some incentive for driver to stay brand loyal .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #50
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Edit..

Aw forget it...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #51
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I find it amussing that everyone or atleast the majority of people here say V8 supercar's is dead and I hate it, blah, blah, but these inturpretation's and comment's have only been brought on since the defection of tripple 8.
We never seen thread's like this and comment's like these in previous yr's, why, because Ford was winning and dominating.
But now since we know this is not going to happen so often, we all cry mercy and think the sport is a shambles, and then we say thing's like,
"even my mates that are Holden fans think the sport is a joke", um probably because they have been out performed by Ford over the last few yr's, they were at the same place we Ford fan's feel we are at now with the new's about Tripple 8.
I don't know about you blokes but in the day's of the HRT/Toll/and TWR dominace when Ford was a real joke in V8 supercar's, I still wore my Ford Racing Australia gear proudly every day.

This is true. People assume 888 have already won next season in there holden. Honestly. If I was ford. I'd throw as much money as I could into all the ford teams. Win next year and openly laugh at holden. Things like 'you cant afford to pay your staff but you pay to pouch our teams. And we still beat you!'

Old 02-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #52
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not true Galaxy xr8. Some of us die-hard fans went away a few years ago. The Nascar comment is absolutely true. In fact it has been mooted to have a control body, with the different sticker pack for each manufacturer. I used to watch Bathurst with mates and call others half way through if their car went off for fun. No more. I havent watched any bathurst for 3 years. Too busy doing something that i am interseted in. When i went to symmons plains last year i walked away while the v8sc were racing and only went back to the fence when the support races were on. The production cars and group n are far more interesting, but lack the support and publicity.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #53
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I don't really take an interest in the make of the cars. I support a couple of the drivers, and have done so since they started. Despite them changing cars and teams.

It is the drivers that make the meet for me, not so much the cars.