Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #31
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Well holding a phone? Ok I can see talking on the phone being illegal, but holding one? how does this differ from holding anything else? So the Police will be consumed in looking for people holding phones, and not people that are causing accidents. So you know they won't be giving out warnings because it is "dangerous" teaching people why it is dangerous, they will be handing out tickets, bringing in the revenue, and not using precious time and resources in solving real problems. I fear that I will come back, drive on Australian roads and be shafted for everything in my wallet just because I am not used to this dictatorship of the roads, and being reminded how driving is a privilege and not a right I hold. Sorry, it's a right.... I could lose that right if I am not responsible, but driving is a right in todays society. Reading this stuff bothers me, because each 5 years or so, they have to go further and further in to this dictatorship, it never seems to go backwards. In Idaho, there are no speed traps, cameras, red light cameras etc... yet somehow most people seem to drive responsibly. So all that crap doesn't do anything but bring money in. I often drive a few mph over the speed limit, and cops don't care... If I was being an idiot, I am sure I would get pulled over. It's much nicer. Of course the state doesn't make as much money this way....
like i said in the rest of my earlier post, the govt can't set a separate rule for individuals depending on their ability so they set a blanket rule accross the board. if you are seen holding a mobile device, its a pretty fair assumption that you are about to use it or have been useing it. its not much different to changing a cd or adjusting radio or a/c etc but i've witnessed many times where a mobile device has been a major distraction.

and as for driving being a right??... err wrong... it is very much a privelege and one of the biggest problems is it isn't treated as such.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #32
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

new rules start today :
Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #33
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
next time you get pulled over or front up in court you could use that excuse. it holds about as much water as a seive though.
????? When did I say it was an excuse?
I've know of these laws a long time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
Not quite, here are the words in FAQ section.

3. Where is the safest place to secure my GPS Device?
VicRoads recommends that drivers secure their GPS systems out of the central field of view. This ensures that the GPS does not obstruct the line of sight of the driver.
Thanks for the clarification
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #34
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
A driver will not be able to overtake, or do a U-turn across a single continuous centre line, or a single continuous line to the left of a broken lines...more...
Will that just sucks *** - there are 3 areas were you can perform that move on my long drive up the mountain - now I am going to be stuck behind slow tourists, buses, trucks, holdens :(

This is a NEW rule - hasn't been around until now :

Mr Policeman Said so

See link - http://www.roadrules.vicroads.vic.go...vertaking.html

Painted islands
A driver must not drive over a painted island that is surrounded by a single continuous line. However a driver can drive over the island if they are entering or leaving the road, or entering a turning lane that begins immediately after the painted island (see diagram below)

A driver must not drive over a painted island at a freeway on-ramp. It is also illegal to drive on a painted island that is surrounded by a double line.

Awesome - have to keep that one in my glove box

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 09-11-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #35
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDterri
As far as I was aware these rules were always in place....so Im a little confused about them calling them NEW
I agree, I thought most of them already existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
So, prior to Monday, driving while talking on the mobile was legal in Vic?
No it wasn't. It was however legal to use a phone in a hands-free system, there wasn't a rule that stopped you pushing buttons on the phone itself.

EDManual - the parking rule has always existed. How many places are there with solid white lines that are not on a curve or intersection?

Sorted - yes one example of common sense prevailing!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #36
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I agree, I thought most of them already existed.

No it wasn't. It was however legal to use a phone in a hands-free system, there wasn't a rule that stopped you pushing buttons on the phone itself.

Ye so did I, but maybe that's because I learnt when the whole "unwritten rules" thing was around and it was more about courtesy than just obeying the law.

So is it now illegal to use a phone with a hands free device in a vehicle?? What about bluetooth devices then??
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #37
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

These are three interesting small points that also start today:

- No more animals on the lap of the driver while driving a car. I've seen quite a few of those middle-aged drivers with little fluffy dogs on their laps as they drive through a busy roundabout.

- A driver cannot stop for longer than two minutes across a driveway, and must not leave their car unattended. No more parking in someone's already-packed driveway to visit them.

- You must not enter a marked pedestrian / children crossing if the road ahead is blocked.

(I EDITED the last one because I got it wrong.)

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).

Last edited by Dauphin; 09-11-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #38
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i've witnessed many times where a mobile device has been a major distraction.
Perhaps you should have had your eyes on the road, not watching other people fiddling with their sound systems?
Seriously though, there doesn't have to be a law against everything that could cause distractions. It's not going to force everybody never get distracted, you can also adjust the radio, temperature etc in a responsible manner. Being totally bored when you drive is also dangerous, there should be a law against being bored? Common sense is a great thing, you can't enforce it with laws and fines.

Quote:
and as for driving being a right??... err wrong... it is very much a privelege and one of the biggest problems is it isn't treated as such.
Well find me a civilized country where driving isn't available? It's a right, it's my right, and I will bloody well fight for my right if I had to... fortunately I don't have to :-)
Government are supposed to be there for the people, not the other way around.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #39
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

more reason to hate living in victoria, next we will get our licenses suspended for not voting... as not voting is a traffic offense... what crap.

so I'll go from holding my phone in my lap to, continually playing with the stereo... awesome
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #40
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next, manuals getting banned because they force you to take one hand off the steering wheel to change gears! LOL
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #41
T-Pak Addict
Jim

You guys think you have it bad having to conform to these rules..... We have had them in SA for years and heres another one coming soon to your state...

P Platers wil not be allowed to use a mobile phone at all, even with hands free kit installed..... That came in here in SA a couple months ago.....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #42
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure we have that one already... So to clarify, you could rub one out whilst driving, but not touch your phone?
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #43
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin

- A driver cannot stop for longer than two minutes across a driveway, and must not leave their car unattended. No more parking in someone's already-packed driveway to visit them.

What if it's your own driveway??

This is an absolute farce, blanket rules, let the coppers have the headache and the government reap the rewards.

Although if this is also the case and people want to revolt then I have an easy solution, some time ago me and my brother had to pay fines for not keeping the grass on our vacant land under a certain height. Now even though most of it was bar some grass right up against the back fence the council still sent their guy in to slash it and sent us the bill. Then to add further insult they also sent me a letter demanding I clean the property of the bulding waste that had been dumped.

I argued that it was not my rubbish to start with but the neighbours' builders leaving it in the empty lot as they always do, did they care?? Not for a minute, the lady on the phone was even rude enough to say it really didn't bother her as she lived in another municipality, nice phone manner from local council.

But the kicker in all this was that the bill I'd been sent was for, and I quote, "Land Clearing", when I asked why it hadn't been cleared as stated on my council bill they replied that it was only slashing and had been misworded, I thought it was pretty clear and tried to argue but I think you know where that went.

So I got my own back, have you ever noticed a "Parks maintanence fee" on your rates, well guess what, your nature strip is technically council land and falls under "Parks", this fee should also cover them cutting this section of grass.

Anyway I payed the fine but never again mowed the nature strip after that at the block and you know what they did?? They sent me a letter "asking" me if I'd mind cutting the nature strip at the same time as I slashed the grass on my land, I didn't and every now and then they'd get their guy to cut the nature strip.

Small victory I know, but when it comes to councils and government, sticking it up them is sticking it up them, no matter how it's done.

How nice would it be to see every nature strip in the country overgrown and residents sitting back in the knowledge that for once the council can go and get ....... well they can LOL.

edit: oh and as a kicker, any rubbish that the neighbours were kind enough to dispose of on my land quickly ended up on the nature strip as well.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #44
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
These are three interesting small points that also start today:

- No more animals on the lap of the driver while driving a car. I've seen quite a few of those middle-aged drivers with little fluffy dogs on their laps as they drive through a busy roundabout.
These are people who don't care for their animal, as in the event of an accident the animal will die. They don't care or realise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
more reason to hate living in victoria,
What?
These laws are national. If you don't like it, go to another country!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #45
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
Ye so did I, but maybe that's because I learnt when the whole "unwritten rules" thing was around and it was more about courtesy than just obeying the law.

So is it now illegal to use a phone with a hands free device in a vehicle?? What about bluetooth devices then??
I'm sure some of them were actual laws - in fact it appears the tram one is actually relaxed somewhat, I'm sure you previously had to stop behind a tram at a stop until it moved off not just until the doors closed. How many times do you see the doors pop open again when another person decides they want to get off? Anyway I think trams should be fitted with cameras the driver can activate to catch people who speed past dangerously.

You can now only use a phone so long as you do not have to touch the phone itself, eg bluetooth or installed car kit. Unless it has gps...
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #46
XRQTR
TBA Customs

The phone thing I get and agree with 110%, from what I've seen over the last few years with "built in hands free" where you should be able to leave it on the dash or in your lap or even centre console, you see morons holding the thing only centimetres from their ears, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE YOU TOOLS.

The tram one, this has always been around, until the doors shut you must wait, but I have been caught out where the tram is stopped with doors open and I've waited, only to be told by the idiot tram driver that I can go that he is waiting for a driver swap or he's not taking or disembarking any passengers. So what happens there if a copper sees you go through, can you use the driver as a witness to argue your case?? Doubt it.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #47
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
What if it's your own driveway??

This is an absolute farce, blanket rules, let the coppers have the headache and the government reap the rewards.
I kind of agree with this one and can see where it's coming from.

The article I read didn't elaborate on it, but I believe it refers to leaving a car in a driveway that is cutting through a walkpath, forcing pedestrians (think mums with a pram) to have to walk around it by going onto the road.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 10-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #48
brownieXR8

Quote:
Changes to the new mobile phone rules
The new mobile phone rules have been revised. The change now allows both the navigational (GPS) and audio/music functions of a mobile phone to be used, provided the mobile phone is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle.

Mobile phones
Using a mobile phone while driving is prohibited, except to make or receive a phone call or to use its audio/music functions provided the phone:

* is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle,
or
* can be operated by the driver without touching any part of the body of the phone.

Using a phone as a GPS while driving is prohibited unless it is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the vehicle.

All other functions (including video calls, texting and emailing) are prohibited.

Learner and P1 drivers, are prohibited from using a mobile phone at all while driving.

Holding the phone (whether or not engaged in a phone call) is also prohibited. Holding includes resting the mobile on the driver’s lap.
There has been an update to the mobile phone rule.
As I interpret it, if the phone is held in a holder (screwed in or suction cupped to the windscreen) you are able to touch it to make and recieve calls and use the music playing funtions

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
brownieXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #49
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Had to dig up this thread after a month of driving with the new road rules. There seems to be absolutely no difference to driver behaviour regarding these rules.

The 'no crossing the white line' rule doesnt mean anything to most drivers, including on freeways. They must either not know of the new rules or have forgotten. I regularly still see cars cross these white lines, also cars crossing over these white lines right in front of me. I also still see the painted traffic islands get run over all the time.

They dont even consider these new rules when constructing new roads. A good example of this is the new lane sections when going over the Bolte bridge heading to the Westgate Fwy. There are two sets of overhead lane direction signs that only become visible once you have gone over the top of the bridge, but that is where the continuous white lines start. So why do they put up the overhead signs after where the continuous lines start, where drivers theoretically are not allowed to change lanes? And vehicles still change lanes there at the last split second there as before.

Then there are the drivers still talking on their hand held mobiles....whats the point of these rules?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #50
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
I also still see the painted traffic islands get run over all the time.?
just in regard to that comment, you are allowed to drive over the painted island if a turning lane directly follows it.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 02:22 AM   #51
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

W.A has got the same laws when talking on a mobile phone while driving - $150 and three demerit point.

But get this....... My misses got pulled over in Halls Head (W.A.) for eating a pie while driving. The copper said he would give her a warning this time but next time an infringement.

Is there really a law which prevents people eating pies whilst driving :

Where does it end??? Pretty soon people wont be able to have a smoke while driving.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #52
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
The sad thing about these changes is the lack of notification to all drivers.

Last night I mentioned it to my wife and she asked what the changes were. She didnt have any idea. I'm also confused about that mobile phone one.

Also in the new rules is that it is illegal to park next to a solid white line on the road, unless you leave a certain distance (3.3 m I think it was - cant find it anywhere atm), so to allow other vehicles to pass without crossing the white solid line. Our estate has these white lines in many locations, so people will have to revise how they park in front of their property. And along freeways, drivers cross them all the time when changing lanes.

Why cant Vicroads notify every driver like they should about the changes? They charge for the licences so they should be able to afford it.
But there goes the financial interest if that happens, making this whole revision pointless for them.

They don't mind sending out letter reminders of the same fine 20 times over but they're not willing to post 1 letter regarding this issue????
Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #53
balthazarr

The thing that irritates me most about the solid white line rules... there are places all over Melbourne where you basically have no choice but to cross a solid white line - either that or hold up traffic for 3, 4 or more light cycles... I'm sure the cars behind will be really understanding. :

As an example - take Toorak Road/Camberwell Road junction heading towards the city on Toorak Road.

Two lanes - the right lane is a combined straight/turning lane and it carries a tram line as a bonus. There are always cars parked in the left lane - outside of clearway times, that is. The right turn arrow is fairly short, add the fact that a lot of cars want to turn right, there is usually a banked up line of cars waiting for a chance to turn right - so essentially the right lane is blocked for traffic moving forward.

The solid white line painted between the two lanes leading up to the intersection stretches back a fair distance... far enough that if there are cars parked in the left lane, and cars banked up wanting to turn right in the right lane, you have no choice but to cross the solid white line to keep traffic moving forward.

I'd like to think that police would use common sense, see the design of the road and the traffic conditions and not stop anyone, but technically they're within their rights to stop almost ever car going through that intersection heading straight up Toorak Rd... revenue bonanza.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #54
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't see why we need all these road rules.

none of them will kill us, unless we are doing 61.4 in a 60 zone. if we do 59.9 while holding our phone we will be ok.

remember. it's the speed that kills.

ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #55
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Painted islands
A driver must not drive over a painted island that is surrounded by a single continuous line. However a driver can drive over the island if they are entering or leaving the road, or entering a turning lane that begins immediately after the painted island (see diagram below)

A driver must not drive over a painted island at a freeway on-ramp. It is also illegal to drive on a painted island that is surrounded by a double line.

Awesome - have to keep that one in my glove box
The Feb 2009 ARR update gives us 50 METRES ONLY, over a painted island, under the above diagram example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
just in regard to that comment, you are allowed to drive over the painted island if a turning lane directly follows it.
REM 50 metres only over a painted island.

Australian Road Rule 138, February 2009 Edition:-
(1) Is law telling us *not* to drive over single solid, or parted lines that make up a 'painted island', except that;

(2) A driver may drive on or over a single continuous line along
the side of or surrounding a painted island for up to 50
metres:
(a)
to enter or leave the road; or
(b) to enter a turning lane that begins immediately after the
painted island.

NOW,
Rule 138 (3) disallows (2) in the case of painted islands that might form at the end of a freeway on-ramp, and at the start of exit ramps, and finally - in the case of 'slip lanes' ahead where a small island might be formed.

Australian Road Rules February 2009 (Pdf 6mb), this edition should be gazetted by all states now (in force):-
http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Repo...2009_final.pdf

Alert; development of new updated rules for 2010 underway

How does one keep up to date with rule changes?
Download a copy of *your states driver handbook*, usually in Pdf, at least once per year.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 06-12-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #56
Dauphin
Irregular member

Rule 138 (3) disallows (2) in the case of painted islands that might form at the end of a freeway on-ramp, and at the start of exit ramps, and finally - in the case of 'slip lanes' ahead where a small island might be formed.

We need more highway patrol cars to detect people ignoring this rule.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #57
Wally
XP Coupe

Just to warn you about the mobile phone cradle rule. The cops in QLD have been having a field day pulling dirvers over and checking to see if the phone is sitting in the console rather than a capture cradle = hefty fine.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #58
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Just to warn you about the mobile phone cradle rule. The cops in QLD have been having a field day pulling dirvers over and checking to see if the phone is sitting in the console rather than a capture cradle = hefty fine.
How does that work then if your car is fitted with a bluetooth system from factory? A cradle is not required. I normally have my phone on myself or in the centre console.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #59
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
How does that work then if your car is fitted with a bluetooth system from factory? A cradle is not required. I normally have my phone on myself or in the centre console.

now your being a smartass and have no respect for the police and the laws.

asking questions you already know the answer to.

you should not be on the road you hoon.

here's your fine.

/sarc off

good question. does it come down to how tech savvy the cop is?
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #60
Wally
XP Coupe

It appears not. They had a news segment showing a woman getting a ticket and the camera zooming in on the mobile sitting in the console coin depression . The gyst I got was she had been talking on the in car bluetooth .... she was exasperated to say the least.

Under 25 yearold P1 platers can't use a mobile period and passengers can't use the loudspeaker functions either.

So while you are not allowed to hold the phone at all while driving, you can't pull over dial a friend, start talking on bluetooth, drive on, because at some point you will probably push a button to end the the call and that isn't allowed either.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post