Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
PLEASE READ THE NUMBERS!!! THIS WAS A GOOD MONTH FOR FORD!!!

Falcon up 42%
Ford up 11.8% (And 3rd highest increase in market)
Ford increased from 4th brand (last year) to 3rd (This year) for January.

THERE IS NO NEED FOR EXCUSES, IT WAS A GOOD MONTH!!!
That's true, January is usually a really flat "nothin' doing" month,
I expect that G6 LE will really punt sales along in February.
let's hope that Ford builds as many Territorys at it can....

It's not the numbers as such, more the profit off each sale.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #32
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

ford builds cars to customer order not whatever they want to build and just flogg it off to the dealers like holden and toyota do.

ford closed the factory over christmas like they do every year, also their suppliers close over christmas too. alot of factories that close over christmas get maintenance work done to their machinery and they generally get alot nof work done to make sure they dont have down time during the year which affects their business and also the business of their customers.

ford shutdown over christmas saw them get new robots put in the factory aswell as alot of maintenance done so they dont have any down days which costs them alot of money. you might think that an hour down in production will cost bugger all but it actually runs into the hundred of thousands of dollars per hour.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
you might think that an hour down in production will cost bugger all but it actually runs into the hundred of thousands of dollars per hour.
And conversely, every Saturday worked is worth gold,
I recall Marin saying that generates some exciting numbers....
Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #34
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

How did Falcon sedan compare to Commie sedan?

Quote:

Falcon up 42%

Umm to me it is not as great as you are making out. Solid maybe because they matched the market growth. However Falcon up 42% on january last year just reflects how badly it sold last january not how good it sold this january.

Last edited by naddis01; 04-02-2010 at 12:34 PM.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #35
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Falcon up 42%

Can't really compare with Jan 09. That was a time during the GFC so sales were on the way down anyway.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #36
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Can't really compare with Jan 09. That was a time during the GFC so sales were on the way down anyway.
OK then.. Ford had the 3rd best increase from last year.. Can I compare them to the rest of the market?? Or how about 85% increase on Falcon from 2 years ago??

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
How did Falcon sedan compare to Commie sedan?
Falcon up 42%, Commie up 6%!!! Now you tell me which did a better job!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Falcon up 42% on january last year just reflects how badly it sold last january not how good it sold this january.
Best sales in January for Falcon sinse 2006!! How can any of this be bad?

You can't turn a company the size of Ford around in one month or even one year. Year on year gains is what it is all about!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #37
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
holden obviously did a pretty good job masking the fact that the cruze is a rebadged daewoo. bloke at work has one on order. i asked him today when he gets his daewoo. he gave me a glare and told me its a holden. i assured him the badge was the only thing holden on it.

he wouldn't be alone. i would imagine a large % of cruze buyers think they are buying a holden, and possibly even an aussie one at that.

The Cruze has the most Australian design and engineering input of any small car on the market. Holden Ltd owns the controlling interest in GM-DAT and Holden has members on the GM-DAT board. Also Daewoo Motor as a legal entity no longer exists. So effectively your colleague did buy a Holden...
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #38
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The Cruze has the most Australian design and engineering input of any small car on the market. Holden Ltd owns the controlling interest in GM-DAT and Holden has members on the GM-DAT board. Also Daewoo Motor as a legal entity no longer exists. So effectively your colleague did buy a Holden...

While technically you may be correct, its still a rebadged daewoo, you cant polish a t.u.r.d
Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #39
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
................Made in Korea......
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
They could build more if they wanted.. They use to build more in the early BA / SX days.. Some dealers dont even have cars for test drives, its dia times for Falcon / Territory at dealer level. Focus / Fiesta are okay as they are off the wharf, but i dunno why Ford shuts for so long over christmas, most other business work thru, its about time Ford did the same.
Ford have to do an 'up balance' to get the BA-BF (ex BFII) days. Its gone from 550 units a day to 270. Its a huge drop. Hope Marin doesn't play it too conservative.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #41
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/55820/ma...er-in-january/

Quote:
Mazda Australia’s leading full-line importer in January

February 4, 2010 by Tim Beissmann

9 Comments

On the back of a record-breaking December, Mazda Australia has started 2010 with its second-best January in history after 6658 sales and an overall market share of 8.9 percent.

An increase of 1.9 percent over 2009 was short of the industry-wide gain of 11.6 percent, but still ensured Mazda maintained its position as Australia’s leading full-line importer and 4th overall.

Almost half of those sales were clocked up by the Mazda3. Its 3.2 percent increase to 3223 units made it Australia’s best selling small car and second overall (just 18 shy of the Holden Commodore).

The CX-7 and CX-9 SUVs had an impressive month, cumulatively accounting for 986 sales and increasing year-on-year 99 percent and 29 percent respectively.

The Mazda2 and Mazda6 were the only somewhat disappointing performers, both losing more than 15 percent compared to January 2009.

Mazda Australia managing director, Doug Dickson, said the solid start was welcome news after some uncertainty heading into 2010.

“Given our strong end to 2009 and the withdrawal of the Government’s investment allowance, it was always going to be interesting to see how the market would respond in the new year,” said.

“The signs for Mazda throughout January have been extremely encouraging. Of course, we’re very pleased to see another solid performance from our perennially popular Mazda3, but it’s equally satisfying to see that the entire Mazda range is continuing to hit the sweet spot with Australian new car buyers,” he said.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/55827/ne...nt-in-january/

Quote:
New vehicle sales up 11.7 percent in January

February 4, 2010 by Tim Beissmann

23 Comments

The Australian automotive industry has started 2010 on a positive note with a significant increase in the number of new vehicles sold during January.

Official VFACTS data released by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) shows that 74,864 passenger cars, SUVs and commercial vehicles were sold in January, up 11.6 percent (7785 vehicles) on the same month in 2009.

The Holden Commodore was the highest selling new vehicle, increasing 5.9 percent year-on-year to post 3241 sales.

The Mazda3 ran a close second ahead of Toyota’s Hilux and Corolla and Ford’s Falcon in fifth.

Top 10 sales by model:

1. Holden Commodore – 3241
2. Mazda3 – 3223
3. Toyota Hilux – 2997
4. Toyota Corolla – 2711
5. Ford Falcon – 2318
6. Holden Cruze – 2218
7. Hyundai i30 – 2116
8. Hyundai Getz – 1717
9. Mitsubishi Lancer – 1588
10. Toyota Yaris – 1562
Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #43
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yes you are right but it most likely has the most korean design and engineering input of any small car on the market aswell.
Aussie's had input on the suspension and transmission .
I am not saying its a bad car but what you said is called spin otherwise known a BS It is a dawoo lacetti with a holden badge .
Would you call a commodore american built because it had a new front end and badge ?
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #44
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Ford have to do an 'up balance' to get the BA-BF (ex BFII) days. Its gone from 550 units a day to 270. Its a huge drop. Hope Marin doesn't play it too conservative.
He is already.. Dealers are very low on stock, and some models are extinct.. like F6 Sedans, apparently theres none coming for a while due a part supplier from overseas not being able to supply parts...

Its bad when you go to a Ford dealer and they only have 6 Falcons in stock when once upon a time they would have close to 70....

As for Ranger Dual cabs they are months away... Same story cant supply.. The only cars in big stock numbers are Fiestas, 12 months you couldnt get a Zetec delivered for months, now you can get one in a few hours!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
He is already.. Dealers are very low on stock, and some models are extinct.. like F6 Sedans, apparently theres none coming for a while due a part supplier from overseas not being able to supply parts...

Its bad when you go to a Ford dealer and they only have 6 Falcons in stock when once upon a time they would have close to 70....

As for Ranger Dual cabs they are months away... Same story cant supply.. The only cars in big stock numbers are Fiestas, 12 months you couldnt get a Zetec delivered for months, now you can get one in a few hours!
I'd say bring it back up to 340 units, but if any up balance does go ahead it wont be seen to about june/july this yr.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #46
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
I'd say bring it back up to 340 units, but if any up balance does go ahead it wont be seen to about june/july this yr.
i.e. FGII.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #47
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Won't happen...

Maybe Saturday's though....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
By working on Saturdays, they achieve the same thing without the commitment of increasing line speed.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #49
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Won't happen...

Maybe Saturday's though....

That's why I said IF. But the decision makers will have better info then me on the way they're traveling, and what the total cost it will be to up the line, compared to just doing sat overtime.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #50
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Bring back the RTV.
Too right!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #51
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think made in Korea is better than made in South Africa (Focus fit & finish and quality is pretty ordinary) I havnt seen a Cruze to compare, but id be surprised if its worse.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #52
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

your right there.. Focus has VERY poor quality especially with paint.... From what ive seen cruise probably has better fit and finish but focus would probably last longer.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #53
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford are having trouble sourcing parts because they are coming from overseas, then they really only have themselves to blame. It appears all the overseas outsourcing they do now to save a few dollars is costing them money....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #54
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Australian design? what part? the badge... It's not even made here, if ever.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #55
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
OK then.. Ford had the 3rd best increase from last year.. Can I compare them to the rest of the market?? Or how about 85% increase on Falcon from 2 years ago??

Falcon up 42%, Commie up 6%!!! Now you tell me which did a better job!!
Best sales in January for Falcon since 2006!! How can any of this be bad?

You can't turn a company the size of Ford around in one month or even one year. Year on year gains is what it is all about!!
Joe, your a glass half full kind of guy! I like that

With Falcon sales up 686 sales, they only have to get an additional 3314 sales compared to 2009 for the remainder of 2010 to get my predicted 35,000.

I predicted a drop from 14,000 to 12,000 units for Ute. It has made half of that drop in one month. But, that was definitely stock related.

I predicted 15,000 for Territory in 2010. I have no idea on it's January 2010 sales. But it's sales were low until the facelift arrived last year anyway.

Since they were making vehicles from mid January only. Wonder how February will go. Hopefully all will be up and make about 5,000 between them!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been told by a reliable source that there was basically, no Ute stock left after December
thanks to the Government allowance, no XRS available so the 500 sold in January was a
great effort and a completely different situation to January 2009 when sales were really slow.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #57
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I predicted 15,000 for Territory in 2010. I have no idea on it's January 2010 sales. But it's sales were low until the facelift arrived last year anyway.
Territory managed 672 in January, 34 (5.3%) up on January 2009 in a market that was 11.9% up across the board.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #58
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`d say any percentage increase is a good thing, is that figure for honda correct -40% ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #59
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Territory managed 672 in January, 34 (5.3%) up on January 2009 in a market that was 11.9% up across the board.

Cheers
Russ
Only 672 Captiva sold about twice as many!
I still say no diesel in the Territory is killing it.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #60
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Ford sale for month (followed by segment place and share %):
[code]Fiesta 962 5 9.3
Focus 840 7 4.9
Mondeo 438 5 11.1
Falcon 2318 2 33.4
Escape 190 13 2.5
Territory 672 4 10.3
Falcon Ute 479 3 11.7
Ranger 4x2 326 5 7.9
Ranger 4x4 395 7 6.1
Transit 84 6 4.4
Transit C/C 18 2 23.7[/code]
Total 6722 vehicles unless I have missed anything. Interesting to see 1 Monaro sale!

Re the Cruze, I understand it is now the same platform as the Astra with a cheaper torsion bar rear suspension rather than independent. This is a completely different situation than the old Lacetti/Viva.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post