Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #31
Chopped
as in chopped

Sometimes it's the out there look that makes it collectible (defines an era etc).

An example would be the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird (1970) or even the VL Walkinshaw to an extent. I suppose you could argue both were designed that way for racing whereas the GTS-R was not.
Old 18-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #32
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
At the time, the VS GTS-R was 'out there' and looked awesome.

Now it looks like a tarted up taxi with a dodgy eBay spoiler kit and rims.

And no, the 5.7 litre stroker engine was not blue printed as standard; it was a cost option and the work was carried out by HRT.
the blueprinting was an option , if i recall . so you could buy one with or without blueprinting.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #33
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Falcon Coupe]The worst thing about the VS GTS-R was the executive VT LS1 having more power....

They had so much potential tho i know of just a standard GTS with the 5.7 stroker and with an exhaust and a k&n filter it di a 13.8 without a tune, i do belive they were restricted too much conidering the VN groupA had the same power without the stroker
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #34
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently they were restricted because of GM in the USA. It apparently had more torque than the quoted 475nm. I remember someone from HSV saying they were disappointed in releasing the LS1 as the Holden 5.7 had so much potential. They had tested one with a VN Group A style manifold and got close to 300kw.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #35
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was never a big fan of the VS GTS-Rs, but with age I started to grow quite fond of them. Pretty much like the Walkinshaws.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #36
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
I believe you are on the correct money with the 5.7 stroker engiines - but the blue printed upgrade was an extra cost factor that bumped up the power to 225 kws - mind you, this from memory and I stand to be corrected.
Yes it was the Holden stroker 215i standard, optional extra 10kw blueprint was $10,000. $1000 per kw upgrade. Hmmm. Bargain!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #37
Falcman0o7
Banned

Boring...;)
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #38
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Yes it was the Holden stroker 215i standard, optional extra 10kw blueprint was $10,000. $1000 per kw upgrade. Hmmm. Bargain!
Was it 225 or 235kw?? I seem to recall it being 235. I remember Street Machine testing one against the EL GT and they commented that it "had the 235kw blueprinted motor" and it also had the Group A twin throttle body manifold.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #39
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
What you could have done with 10k 15 years ago.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #40
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Was it 225 or 235kw?? I seem to recall it being 235. I remember Street Machine testing one against the EL GT and they commented that it "had the 235kw blueprinted motor" and it also had the Group A twin throttle body manifold.
Someone on these forums once posted up a copy of the Wheels article, EL GT v GTS-R, I've still got it, they say 230-235kw and 507Nm. Doesnt seem to mention whether its blueprinted or not.

Aswell as a 6 speed Auto : and a 1620kg weighbridge ticket.

That article just makes me want an EL GT though
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #41
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

my old boss had 2 GTS-R's parked in his garage, right next to a John Goss and a Smick XC Sedan, The fords are his pride and joy, the GTS-R's were to make money, and he sold em both for a pretty penny
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #42
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
At the time, the VS GTS-R was 'out there' and looked awesome.

Now it looks like a tarted up taxi with a dodgy eBay spoiler kit and rims.

And no, the 5.7 litre stroker engine was not blue printed as standard; it was a cost option and the work was carried out by HRT.
Correct, the blueprint was a $10k option

Edit; forgot i was only at the first page when i posted!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #43
gtfpv
GT

I THINK I ONLY EVER SEEN ABOUT 2 of these on the road . like the EL GT . they arent around and its sad . any locked up will command big dollars one day i would imagine .
Old 19-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD
my old boss had 2 GTS-R's parked in his garage, right next to a John Goss and a Smick XC Sedan, The fords are his pride and joy, the GTS-R's were to make money, and he sold em both for a pretty penny
Must be a lucky guy..... havent seen too many sell above original retail price ever.

Old 19-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #45
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The first one built is for sale now here: GTS-R # 000 Only 82K.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #46
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The worst thing about the VS GTS-R was the executive VT LS1 having more power....

The styling was really out there, i couldn't believe it was factory the first time i saw one.

http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/HTML/hsv_gtsr_vs.html
wow, I totally agree with what your saying, looks like a a ricer commo. I guess it's unique, and probably looked flashy at the time.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #47
gtfpv
GT

they really are a disgusting looking thing. cars have come along way in 12 years .
Old 20-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #48
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Must be a lucky guy..... havent seen too many sell above original retail price ever.
Picked em up for a nice price, one of them was showroom quality, with the original hat wallet and drizabone, all framed.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #49
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it looks like a taxi crossed with a riced up skyline
those seats are atrocious!
also because of the way the rear bar is shaped it looks like GLI suspension haha
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #50
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The original one was definately ugly as a hat full of bum hole's, This one not so much.. Mate use to own a VR GTS.. Awesome bit of kit, 215kw, 6 speed, harrop brake's.. That hydra trak was a bit wierd though.. Level pegged the BA in 1st gear and most of second, all over the BA's rear bumper in the tighter stuff but bye bye commy once the corner's opened up..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #51
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
The original one was definately ugly as a hat full of bum hole's, This one not so much.. Mate use to own a VR GTS.. Awesome bit of kit, 215kw, 6 speed, harrop brake's.. That hydra trak was a bit wierd though.. Level pegged the BA in 1st gear and most of second, all over the BA's rear bumper in the tighter stuff but bye bye commy once the corner's opened up..
Are they really a 6 speed auto? Or is that a misprint that is supposed to say manual? Because it just seems really wierd having a 6 speed Auto in what is supposed to be a 'race' car.
Old 20-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #52
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I see on the GTS-R article pages, there is a small article about the E Series 3 and HSV EDT...

They seem to think that HSV EDT will be the new name for the GTS-R... doubt it...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #53
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
Are they really a 6 speed auto? Or is that a misprint that is supposed to say manual? Because it just seems really wierd having a 6 speed Auto in what is supposed to be a 'race' car.

They were 6 speed manual, HSV had the 6 speed manual since the VN Grp A SS which had a 6 speed ZF Manual which was required because the manual from the VL could not handle the torque of the new model.

HSV have only just stepped up to the 6 speed auto for the first time recently.
Old 22-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #54
lisa_xr6t
Starter Motor

i dnt mind them but i think the hsv range is to big
lisa_xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #55
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa_xr6t
i dnt mind them but i think the hsv range is to big
at least the differences in the HSV range are a little more obvious than the FPV range, 3 different GT badges is just plain lazy, and most people outside the ford community dont know the difference or see the point
Old 22-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #56
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Was it 225 or 235kw?? I seem to recall it being 235
Definitely 225. Though there may have been a blueprint option on the VT Holden 5.7 which I believe was 225i, so the option may have been 235 on a Blueprint. Not sure if this was the case though. VS GTS-R was definitely 215i with a 10kw Blueprint upgrade option.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #57
lisa_xr6t
Starter Motor

very true
lisa_xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #58
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
They were 6 speed manual, HSV had the 6 speed manual since the VN Grp A SS which had a 6 speed ZF Manual which was required because the manual from the VL could not handle the torque of the new model.

HSV have only just stepped up to the 6 speed auto for the first time recently.
Thanks mate that makes alot more sense. 6 speed Auto back in the day in a commodore just boggles the mind! Trust wheels to get it wrong.
Old 23-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #59
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default The boss of Holden's performance car division dismisses 'fairytale' speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dowling
Holden Special Vehicles boss Phil Harding has dismissed as "fantasy" a recent magazine report about the prospect of a new, high-powered, lightweight, high performance version of its flagship GTS sedan.

The cover of the latest issue of Wheels depicts a computer mock-up of a GTS-R, which the magazine claims is being worked on in "secret", despite HSV's denials.

The magazine further speculates that HSV plans to shed 100kg of weight from the GTS by replacing the standard seats with race-style seats (which the magazine says would save 40kg) as well as fitting lightweight wheels and making weight savings in other areas such as suspension and luxury equipment.

But the seats alone would amount to a massive engineering cost, given that the car would have to be crash-tested again to validate it for road use.

HSV typically does not talk about future models, but Harding took the unusual step of ruling out the GTS-R report because customers had rung dealers and the company headquarters and tried to order the car.

Speaking at the launch of the new price-leading HSV GXP sedan and ute (pictured) in Melbourne this morning, Harding told the Carsales network: "If you're a seasoned journalist ... and you're onto a story and you asked me a question about a possible future car that you may have heard a bit about, you could tell from the body language or the wink of eye that perhaps we might be working on something special.

"But when I read that magazine report I said to myself 'where did this come from?' It's fairytale. It's pure fantasy."

Mr Harding ruled out categorically that any such car exists or a plan to build such a car exists.

"You kind of wonder whether it's a ruse to sell magazines," Harding said. "I'm pleased they chose my brand to experiment with, rather than someone else's. But I would question the accuracy of their so-called well-placed sources."

Harding has spoken out after at least one customer reportedly rang HSV and said: "I know you're not talking about the car, but can you take my $10,000 deposit any way?"

"Every time people speculate about what special models might come up, there's a handful of people who usually come forward and put their hand up and express interest in the car. On this occasion they've been quickly told there's no substance to it whatsoever.

"We had all that buzz with the 7.0-litre before it came out, but at least there was some substance to it."

The Carsales Network will bring you preview drive impressions on the new HSV GXP sedan and ute after 6pm today (23 February, 2010).
http://carpoint.com.au/news/2010/lar...says-hsv-18390
Old 23-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #60
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

One of the funniest experiences I have ever had in my life with cars concerned the original HSV GTS-R.

I went to a drag day at Ravenswood Raceway on a day where the Holden/HSV club were attending. The GTS-R had just come out (the yellow one remember), and this bloke had paid the extra $10,000 or whatever it was for HSV to individually blueprint his engine which was meant to give it more power.

I was in my completely stock standard E49 Charger complete with original size skinny tyres and at the time 36,000 miles on the clock and I blew the doors off HSV's latest and greatest supercar in a 24 year old (at the time) stock six cylinder Valiant, lol, was so funny :-)