Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Imagine if Victoria had the latest and greatest in speeding camera technology, .000000000000000000001 over the speed limit and thats 12 demerrit points, car taken for 3 months and house burned down.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #32
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Yeah I love driving interstate, but I never drive to Victoria its a real joke over there. Whats funnier is when Victorians tell me 'if you dont want a speeding ticket, dont speed'...Umm ok. Stupidly harsh speeding laws coupled with effective government anti-speeding TV ads (Victorians watch a lot of TV!) means that most of them cop it sweet.

I guess they would spend more time staring at their speedo rather than the road ahead, probably why they never notice that they are sitting in the right lane.

In the end they get the government they deserve....
what the? are you feeling completely balanced today? we get the government we deserve? would you care to qualify that statement? it's quite easy to cast an eye to the speedo every 10 seconds or so while still having 100% awareness. Yeah it sucks but that's the way it is.

and i've driven in every state of australia, and smell the coffee, sport, every state has right lane hogs.

with your apparent attitude problem, feel free to continue never visiting our state, thanks.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 03-03-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #33
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82XD393.3v
i belive local councils install the fixed cameras not the police
Department of Justice are responsible for all fixed camera's in VIC.

And yeah, the nanny state is a joke for speed camera's. We get shafted by cops spending hours waiting to catch someone speed but do basically nothing about the multitude of people getting stabbed or bashed every week.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #34
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Department of Justice are responsible for all fixed camera's in VIC.

And yeah, the nanny state is a joke for speed camera's. We get shafted by cops spending hours waiting to catch someone speed but do basically nothing about the multitude of people getting stabbed or bashed every week.
I guess crooks that stab people dont make money for the government like speed camers do. I also guess that a driver 5km/h over the speed limit is more of a risk to society than a mug prepared to use a knife on an innocent victim.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #35
SilentDave

I drove around the country in 2005 and couldn't believe the number of fixed camera's that had 2 or 3 big warning signs that they were ahead and yet following a few cars in different spots I was amazed at how many people still got done.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDave
I drove around the country in 2005 and couldn't believe the number of fixed camera's that had 2 or 3 big warning signs that they were ahead and yet following a few cars in different spots I was amazed at how many people still got done.
We don't have that in Victoria.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #37
SilentDave

Can't remember what state they were in thou it could of been NSW
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #38
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Can't remember what state they were in thou it could of been NSW
yep it was NSW. also still cant believe people can get done by cameras in QLD. the cars on the side of the road are all police maked 4WD's with warning signs out front of the car...

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #39
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If she has a good recent driving record, you can write in and ask for the fine to be withdrawn; usually if you have had no fines in the last 2 or 3 years, they will withdraw this low level fine.
Doubt it, i tried on the old mans behalf.
Apparently he was doing 120 in a 90 zone in a 35 y.o landcruiser towing 2 tonne of furniture. No fines in 30 years... They just say pay it or else.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #40
LightingBA

also still cant believe people can get done by cameras in QLD...

I can they put the signs warning there is a speed camera after the actual camera. just to let you know you have a fine.
LightingBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #41
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
with your apparent attitude problem, feel free to continue never visiting our state, thanks.
well said Professor!

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #42
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Doubt it, i tried on the old mans behalf.
Apparently he was doing 120 in a 90 zone in a 35 y.o landcruiser towing 2 tonne of furniture. No fines in 30 years... They just say pay it or else.
You will find they will let you off if you have a good driving record and up to 10kmh over the limit. Write them a letter admitting that you did the wrong thing but would like a caution in this instance. Its worked for me, my wife and my father in law but again no more than 10kmh over the limit and I think 1 every 3 or 5 years.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #43
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your all damned to hell and beyond for speeding, think of the countless kids that could have been slayed seriously in SA you cop $200 for roughly 10km/over, only a matter of time before all the states align me thinks
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #44
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMZ
Now i know why i see interstate platted cars going slow. I thought they didn't know where they were going, ie looking for the right street.

Now i understand.
hahaha I always wondered as well
Old 04-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #45
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
Hi all...

My girlfriend has just came back from a return drive to Melbourne - from Perth.

It was a good drive she reckons, until we received a speed camera fine yesterday.

The fine is $146.00 for doing 106km in a 100km zone. It was on Dadswells Bridge.

I cant believe the penalty for this! In W.A a patrol car will just flash it lights if you are over the limit by under 10km/h. And its only a $50 fine if done by a camera.

I'm surprised that you Victorians even have a licence at all with such harsh penalties! What would the fine be if she was doing over the 10km's???

A speed measuring device has a tolerance of -/+ 3km, according to Australian tests Ive read on the net. Add this 3km/h figure difference to a speedometer which could be out at least 4km/h and your done for speeding!

I cant believe you Victorians are even still on the road!!! - Poor Buggers.
You have to understand how it works here, the infringement notice said 106, it was most likely they got her at 111 by HER speedo, allowing for the 5% inaccuracy (slow) all speedo's have - hmmm, 111 (by the speedo) in a 100 zone.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #46
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
You have to understand how it works here, the infringement notice said 106, it was most likely they got her at 111 by HER speedo, allowing for the 5% inaccuracy (slow) all speedo's have - hmmm, 111 (by the speedo) in a 100 zone.
the irony is the last time i heard, ADR allowed for 10% inaccuracy either way. So at 100 indicated you could be doing anywhere from 90 to 110km/h. Yet the legal tolerance is 3km/h which at 100km/h is 3%, not 10% like the ADR's approve. IRONY? yes, yes it is. Hypocrisy? that's more appropriate, but what can ya do. But yes most of the time they over read. Not sure if that rule still aplies either.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #47
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

ok that was ADR18/00, the 10% rule from which was superceeded by ADR18/03 in 2006 apparently, see page 2:

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/rsc...nstruments.pdf

so they are made by law to over-read only now, by up to a theoretical 16km/h at an indicated 100! crazy.

it's an interesting read, but make sure you put on your pyjamas before attempting it.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 04-03-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #48
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another reason why Vic needs to be isolated from the rest of Australia.

Next step in the Vic road safety plan is you’ll need a induction and be VOC’d for the car you’re driving and need a JHA & Take 5 for the journey hahaha
Old 04-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #49
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Another reason why Vic needs to be isolated from the rest of Australia.
coming from someone who lives in one of the most isolated cities in the world?

even though the forum rules already cover this, if people don't have anything valuable to contribute, don't press the 'Submit Reply' button.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #50
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for supporting my argument Prof!

If you get caught speeding in Victoria then you deserve it, if you believe you don't deserve it, then take it to Court, not the Ford Forums. _2:
Old 04-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #51
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
I take it you've never seen a speedo run fast then?

What if she was doing 99 in a 100 zone, but the speedo is out 10% the other way.....
That would see the road speed being close to 109 - more than enough to get busted by fixed cameras in most states.

Quote:
If you get caught speeding in Victoria then you deserve it, if you believe you don't deserve it, then take it to Court, not the Ford Forums. _2:
That is a tad harsh. - The OP was simply pointing out that in WA that infingement may not have been recorded.

As for speeding fines being "deserved"... well that is a totally different conversation that would see this thread closed for sure.
But I'll simply say that we would disagree on the subject by the sounds of things. :
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #52
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
coming from someone who lives in one of the most isolated cities in the world?

even though the forum rules already cover this, if people don't have anything valuable to contribute, don't press the 'Submit Reply' button.

Yep that’s right, not isolated enough to keep us safe from Victoria.

I feel the O/P will agree.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #53
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Yep that’s right, not isolated enough to keep us safe from Victoria.

I feel the O/P will agree.
You want a holiday or something?

Or are you just a hungry little troll?
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #54
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
You want a holiday or something?

Or are you just a hungry little troll?

Jeez just having a light hearted dig a Victoria everyone takes everything so personally!!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #55
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Jeez just having a light hearted dig a Victoria everyone takes everything so personally!!
looked like straight out state bashing to me which i've always detested. (ala the whole sydney v melbourne thing). Anyway i think you'll find the majority of users here are from victoria anyway, so prepare for a verbal barrage if you choose that path.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #56
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing wrong with being a proud Pricktorian! hahaha!
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #57
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

You get caught breaking the speed limit you get fined.

Is it really such a difficult concept?

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #58
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
someone said before that we don't have these in vic but i always see them pretty common

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #59
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a great thing it would be if everyone concentrated on driving instead of on the speedometer :
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #60
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just flicking through an old wheels magazine - July 1967, and came across an interesting article "The Suicidal Sixties" which lamented the introduction of blanket 60mph speed limits in NSW. NSW was one of the first states to introduce the blanket limit, with wheels predicting the other states will almost certainly follow suit - with the exception of Victoria, "which has firmly set its face against an outright speed limit"

Back then there was a "'driver onus' limit of 50mph, under which you may be charged with driving dangerously if doing more than that speed, and the onus is on you to prove you were driving safely", a situation which Victoria "considers ideal"

How things have changed!! Now from what I can tell Victoria is the most overpoliced state in the country for speed. Think I was born too late....
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post