Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

It'll sell, the lion badge will make it "Australian".
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #32
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

They have put an imitation Audi grille on the "Holden crapback"TM

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #33
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Well it will always have 'holden performance' which they somehow manage to transmit through a cheap badge. Too technically advanced for me to understand how they do it but they did it with epica according to the tv spot. just amazing!!

im of to throw up again thx to whomever decided to post the pic of the front/side. Now I just need to accidentally glimpse the back and ill probably slip into a coma.
Old 15-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #34
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden

im of to throw up again thx to whomever decided to post the pic of the front/side. Now I just need to accidentally glimpse the back and ill probably slip into a coma.
Your welcome ;).

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #35
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am I missing something? Where in that article does it say it is a rebadged Holden? Why is Holden getting the blame for this? Oh I get it, just another Holden bashing thread for the sake of it.

It is funny to see on this forum people call some cars ugly and than go out of their way to vigorously defend the AU design!

It is a pity that some threads on this other wise great forum just end up this way.

Oh btw I think it is ugly too but I hardly think Holden had anything to do with it.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #36
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Shame on you Holden!, you really dont care about aussies do you!!! :
Old 15-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #37
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
That isnt an air vent just in front of the mirror is it?
With a beast like this even the mirrors need cooling, just so damn hot!
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #38
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Am I missing something? Where in that article does it say it is a rebadged Holden? Why is Holden getting the blame for this? Oh I get it, just another Holden bashing thread for the sake of it.
Yep. Whats wrong with bashing Holden. Its thoroughly enjoyable.

Quote:
It is funny to see on this forum people call some cars ugly and than go out of their way to vigorously defend the AU design!
Actually that car would look great if it was crushed flat and had an AU on top of it.

Quote:
It is a pity that some threads on this other wise great forum just end up this way.
We are being wise, its clearly a sh*thouse car.

Quote:
Oh btw I think it is ugly too but I hardly think Holden had anything to do with it.
They will be sticking their logo on it and dealing it to unsuspecting people who value their dignity. Thats something. and the whole point of this thread actually.
Old 16-08-2007, 07:52 AM   #39
red_hotxr6
Banned

After looking at the mercedes benz, the toyota, and the volvo, and amalgamating them into the VE it just goes to show with this Barina the boffins at holden dont have a brain between them.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #40
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Bud Bud I think what they are getting at is that Holden used to be a company that provided moderately safe vehicles for the market, yet they are now replacing them with vehicles sourced from Daewoo which perform poorly in crash tests. For example, the Astra sourced from europe was a reasonably safe car, 3 and a half stars if I recall correctly. Its replacement scores 1 star. The vectra (viva) used to score 4 stars, its replacement scores 1.5 stars. The barina used to score 3, this abortion they have replaced it with hasn't managed a score on the ancap test yet. So you see, by selling cheap imports from Korea which don't have to meet the stringent safety standard in Korea (like china and shanghai motor company), Holden is in fact diminishing their safety reputation. To put it into proportion, if you made cars and knew that your car was going to kill 100 people and injure a couple of thousand per year it would concern you. If you cheapened your car to make an extra thousand dollars per sale knowing that it would likely double or triple the amount of fatalities and injuries it should weigh on you very heavily. It seems that for the sake of extra money and the purposes of commencing a price war Holden has opted for the latter. In Australia we have much more stringent design standards, which is why Holden have consitently manufactured commodores that rate higher than 3 stars (except for the earlier models ie VK). If for example there was a minimum safety rating system in this country (which there should be), then a lot of vehicles would fail to be saleable. Unfortunately however, a lot of people are stupid enough not to worry about safety until it's too late, and as a large company their is often a perceived and sometimes actionable onus upon the company to protect people from themselves.

Anyway, I think most of the remarks on here are referring to Holdens stance on these imports which don't quite measure up to their own previous standards.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #41
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Bud Bud I think what they are getting at is that Holden used to be a company that provided moderately safe vehicles for the market, yet they are now replacing them with vehicles sourced from Daewoo which perform poorly in crash tests. For example, the Astra sourced from europe was a reasonably safe car, 3 and a half stars if I recall correctly. Its replacement scores 1 star. The vectra (viva) used to score 4 stars, its replacement scores 1.5 stars. The barina used to score 3, this abortion they have replaced it with hasn't managed a score on the ancap test yet. So you see, by selling cheap imports from Korea which don't have to meet the stringent safety standard in Korea (like china and shanghai motor company), Holden is in fact diminishing their safety reputation. To put it into proportion, if you made cars and knew that your car was going to kill 100 people and injure a couple of thousand per year it would concern you. If you cheapened your car to make an extra thousand dollars per sale knowing that it would likely double or triple the amount of fatalities and injuries it should weigh on you very heavily. It seems that for the sake of extra money and the purposes of commencing a price war Holden has opted for the latter. In Australia we have much more stringent design standards, which is why Holden have consitently manufactured commodores that rate higher than 3 stars (except for the earlier models ie VK). If for example there was a minimum safety rating system in this country (which there should be), then a lot of vehicles would fail to be saleable. Unfortunately however, a lot of people are stupid enough not to worry about safety until it's too late, and as a large company their is often a perceived and sometimes actionable onus upon the company to protect people from themselves.

Anyway, I think most of the remarks on here are referring to Holdens stance on these imports which don't quite measure up to their own previous standards.
LTD, most of what you say is right and makes good sense, and I do agree with your point about minimum safety standards. I certainly would not be against minimum safety standards being set. I for one would not miss most of the boxes that are sold each year disguised as cheap cars by any manufacture, no matter who they were.

You are right too, car manufactures should feel guilty about releasing cars that they know by design, may kill or maim innocent people. Even Ford U.S. faced this conundrum in the 70's with the Pinto. They knew (from their own testing) that from a small rear end impact, the doors could potentially jam shut and that the rear axel could puncture the fuel tank and cause a fire trapping the occupants inside in an other than what would be described as a minor accident. They actually budgeted for payouts from the deaths that may occur from this design fault. They were well aware of this problem all the way up to the top! A ten dollar part (plastic lining) which Ford had a patent would of eased this problem greatly but it was still deemed cheaper to choose the payout road because of the pricing pigeon hole that the car was destined for. Yep no guilt there.

I know times have changed dramatically since then and so they should have. Holden just like Ford is competing on a not so even playing field (no matter what the politicians say) in this country now. Holden did not start a price war and neither did Ford. You can thank the thousands of Hyundai, Daihatsu, Suzuki and even Toyota buyers of the past two decades for this event.

Holden and Ford both local car builders with a combined building bodies and cars would total well over 200 years in this country (if you count Holdens humble saddlery and coach building business in Adelaide) and both have been to hell and back over this same period. They have now been left holding the baby. (that is bringing cars to the market at a now even more competitive "read cheap" price)

But my original point still stands, where in this article does it even mention Holden? If it did I would agree with you.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #42
Kryton

i think the designers might have been influenced by Audi a little looking at the size of the grill.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #43
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
i think the designers might have been influenced by Audi a little looking at the size of the grill.
They were probably drunk and chauffeured home in the back of an Audi- and bingo, Kalos; the next Generation- the end of an evolution!
Old 25-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

But my original point still stands, where in this article does it even mention Holden? If it did I would agree with you.
Its going to be rebadged and sold as a Holden, which part of that don't you understand?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #45
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

lol 'facelifted holden deathtrap' i love it. No bias whatsoever. Altho...harsh but true.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #46
irsa76
Snoopping

Thank god I dismissed the Barina from my shopping list aready! I did a quick price estimate of a Barina sedan with ABS, the little box is the same price as a base Tiida which while not a brillant car, is still a 100% better then the Holden. I would buy a Hyundai before I buy a Holden these days.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 02:06 AM   #47
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

front grille looks too busy - apart from that i think the badge and the fact it will be from a Korean platform is causing the blue blooded chestbeat here...look at it from a marketing perspective...crash rating sucks, but it will be cheap and will sell because it will be quite affordable - perhaps its this which is causing some of the more vicious one eyed retorts?
Sorry Jayden, the AU was an ugly car imo.
and as for you RedhotXr6 who says 'After looking at the mercedes benz, the toyota, and the volvo, and amalgamating them into the VE it just goes to show with this Barina the boffins at holden dont have a brain between them.'
What does the VE have to do with this thread? If holden didnt have a brain then why is Ford usually playing catch-up?
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
What does the VE have to do with this thread? If holden didnt have a brain then why is Ford usually playing catch-up?
You got it wrong. The VE was just a catchup to the BA, the BA/BF was miles in front of the VY-VZ. The Orion will again move the bar forward for Holden to try to catch.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #49
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
front grille looks too busy - apart from that i think the badge and the fact it will be from a Korean platform is causing the blue blooded chestbeat here...look at it from a marketing perspective...crash rating sucks, but it will be cheap and will sell because it will be quite affordable - perhaps its this which is causing some of the more vicious one eyed retorts?
and as for you RedhotXr6 who says 'After looking at the mercedes benz, the toyota, and the volvo, and amalgamating them into the VE it just goes to show with this Barina the boffins at holden dont have a brain between them.'
Are you serious, take your holden eyes out, put your ford ones on and see that those 3 cars amalgamated to the VE.You cant be seriously telling me the VE is a stand alone car...
Old 26-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #50
stevz
Banned

Redhotxr6, seriously, how old are you??? The majority of your posts display a total lack of intelligence and maturity. Grow up for christs sake.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #51
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Uh-oh here comes SSBUB... As auto enthusiasts were not offended because people will by them, were offended Holden are shameless enough to present such drivel for the motoring public TO buy.

Also what does the AU have to do with *this* thread?
Youve really got a chip on your shoulder 'bout that new edge styling.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #52
heven67
Starter Motor

Looks Fine to me they could put any badge on it and i still wouldnt buy it!
No small holden looks any good and there all crappy! :
heven67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #53
red_hotxr6
Banned

30 years old why, cant you see the VE commodore in those 3 cars maybe even the Audi as well. The people at Holden who designed that car just flat out copied and amalgamated those cars to come up with that design.
Old 27-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #54
aussieford
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nversace
HOLLY F@**ING EEW ...

it's a bloody Daweoo on steroids
Bes description. SO TRUE.
aussieford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #55
GT 4eva

but the funny thing is ALL these holden clowns will think its great just like they think the rest of the range is good!!!! HAHAHAHAHA
GT 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #56
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 4eva
but the funny thing is ALL these holden clowns will think its great just like they think the rest of the range is good!!!! HAHAHAHAHA
Are you kidding? Maybe people with no logical sense in cars, but true Holden enthusiasts do not think it's great, just because it wears a Holden badge. That goes for the current Holden range aswell. Amazingly not every so called "Holden clown" likes the VE or other Holden products *Shock*.

It will appeal to the yuppies who want a cheap car, and because it has a Holden badge. Note- These people are usually not car enthusiasts.

Last edited by Ryan; 27-08-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #57
GT 4eva

point taken
GT 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post