Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it may be a gimmick but magnetic suspension and data loggers are at least slightly more useful than stripes and "bulge badges".......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #32
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well it may be a gimmick but magnetic suspension and data loggers are at least slightly more useful than stripes and "bulge badges".......
Agreed.

I think the idea has merit, dont know if I like the GUI setup though. The grange is really looking like another HSV bitsa aswell, poor thing. Id also be a touch annoyed if the software in my grange showed a clubsport with the over/understeer thing.

I dont get what the G counter is for? Who can get the biggest reading at a skid pan day?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #33
MAD
Petro-sexual

Seems very gimmiky, as does most things that HSV add to their vehicles. Like a high price autobarn.

I have to question the %brake graph.. when? cold? hot? overheated? pedal travel? Not even the V8SC monitor %, its either on or off.

I like how they call LPI 'liquid petroleum injection'.. wow!... petrol injection!...

This reads quite humorously... "HSV acknowledges the graphic colour display has the potential to distract drivers, something it says it worked on."

I can understand putting this in the clubby and the GTS, but the Grange??? Does it cost more to leave off an option?

Haha... I just looked at the photos and see they have oversteer shown in degrees.... Do you get points, or can you upload the log to NeedforSpeed Underground for a replay?

Last edited by MAD; 06-09-2010 at 03:02 PM.
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agree.. its the first step towards more interactive products.
Yamaha have done something similar with their motocross range including the ability to "self tune"..

I like it.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #35
prydey
Rob

i wonder if all these comments would be the same if it was ford who released this product? i think not.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #36
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
couldnt agree more
Old 06-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #37
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Accident waiting to happen... people will be concentrating on their readouts rather
than the road... pointless **** factor on a road car me thinks

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/82564/20...-launched-wm3/

Quote:
2011 HSV Grange Launched (WM3)
By Alborz Fallah | September 6th, 2010

Holden Special Vehicles, better known as HSV, is set to launch the model year 2011 HSV Grange at the end of this month. With more power, improved technology, a revised exterior plus the option for LPG. HSV has been hard at work to bring about the latest iteration in the companies luxury performance flagship.

The new HSV Grange nows packs the same 325 kW 6.2-litre LS3 V8 engine that delivers 550 Nm of torque (at 4600rpm) found in the new HSV GTS. Improvements come from a new hi-flow intermediate exhaust with bi-modal rear mufflers. Although power has improved (from 317 kW) torque figure remains the same.

“The Grange buyer traditionally wants the most luxurious, and technologically advanced Australian-made performance car there is,” said HSV Managing Director Phil Harding.

“Grange has always fitted that description well, but the new styling, increased power and extra technology makes WM3 a compelling proposition for a luxury car buyer that is passionate about driving.”

From the outside the Grange gain Daytime Running Lamps (the last of the HSVs to gain this) and “shockwave-inspired” exhaust tips, plus a redesigned front and rear bumper.

Moving inside the Grange gains Satellite navigation, rear reversing camera as well as HSV’s Enhanced Driver Interface (EDI). EDI will incorporate the car’s computer systems and deliver all sorts of performance orientated data to the driver. Once activated, the driver can find information covering G force, power & torque, accelerator and brake position, and stability control. Now you can see how many Gs you pulled going around the race track!

Perhaps HSV is going the way of the Nissan GT-R?

Additionally the Grange gains Side Blind Zone Alert, which is essentially an Australian version of Volvo’s BLISS system. It will warn the driver if a car is passing through or sitting in its blind spot.

The more interesting ‘option’ on the Grange is the relatively expensive $5,990 option for the Liquid Propane Injection (LPI) system which HSV says reduces emissions and running costs.

Pricing is still to be determined for the WM3 variants but HSV says it will be close to the WM2 prices (currently $87,990).

Stay tuned as CarAdvice will bring you a road test and review of the HSV WM3 Grange in the coming weeks.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #39
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Also why did they put the GTS motor in there, I mean 8kw difference will make stuff all and you also annoy the new GTS owners who thought there cars where going to be a little bit more special than the rest. Unless of course all models will be 325 and the GTS goes up again (so quickly!).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #40
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i wonder if all these comments would be the same if it was ford who released this product? i think not.
For me the comments would be the same... Info on what is needed to keep the car running and to infom you of any issues , i can live with.... racing & telemetry and other bits of ****...leave that to the riceer's, id hate to see Ford go down that path... No need for most of it..I can see the use if its a track car, but a road cvar ??? no thanks..but each to their own i suppose

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #41
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Couldn't of said it better myself,so true.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #42
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

I'd guess that all this can be switched off if wanted. So if you don't like it then don't turn it on.
HSV are continuing to go beyond the normal bodykit and padded seat package. Adding another dimension to their cars and further away to the run of the mill commodore range. When your driving the car it's nice to feel that your in something more then a tarted up SSV. You can't see what the car looks like from the drivers seat.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #43
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

All I know is, if I had the coin to afford a HSV, I'd probably have it as a track/weekender, and this particular "gimmick" would be great to help me lower my track times/improve driver style.
I wouldn't use it on the street. I'd probably switch it off. Which I'm sure is possible. I could switch off the icc in my old BA, so surely the much more advanced HSV of 2010 would have an off switch/standby switch.
If ford did release something like this, it would ultimatly be a fair bit different, and I doubt people would be foffing it too much.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #44
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
How is a data logger that measure race track G forces in the grange BARGE NOT a gimmick.......

" Now you can see how many Gs you pulled going around the race track! "

I wonder how many GRANGE owners are going to be concerned about that !

At least with the stripe and bulge stickers - FPV have created a unique and long lasting character for their top of the line model. EDI for the GRANGE would be as useful as a f a r t in a spacesuit.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #45
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
How is a data logger that measure race track G forces in the grange BARGE NOT a gimmick.......

At least with the stripe and bulge stickers - FPV have created a cheap and tacky character for their top of the line model. EDI for the GRANGE would be as useful as a f a r t in a spacesuit.
fixed it for you
Old 06-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #46
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
fixed it for you
Each to their own........
You seem to have fixed it for yourself.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

At least with the stripe and bulge stickers - FPV have created a unique and long lasting character for their top of the line model. EDI for the GRANGE would be as useful as a f a r t in a spacesuit.
Some confusion here, FPVs top of the line model in V8 and T6 (GT-E/F6-E) don't have stripes, they are only available on the entry level models.

Do you REALLY want to see what would happen if a Grange and a BF GT went head to head...........
Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #48
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Do you REALLY want to see what would happen if a Grange and a BF GT went head to head...........
Not taking the bait........and totally irrelevant......06 model v an 2010 model.....WTF and WHY ???

I would love to see the new S/C COYOTE with all its striped livery ( if you're that way inclined ) and no EDI ricer W A N K ......go head to head with a GRANGE..........would you like to see that.

Anyways, we're waaaaay of topic so don't bother responding again.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Not taking the bait........and totally irrelevant......06 model v an 2010 model.....WTF and WHY ???

I would love to see the new S/C COYOTE with all its striped livery ( if you're that way inclined ) and no EDI ricer W A N K ......go head to head with a GRANGE..........would you like to see that.

Anyways, we're waaaaay of topic so don't bother responding again.
Of course it would be irrelevant, I obviously meant the 2006 Grange but it does not matter the result would be the same......
Old 06-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #50
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I think some people forget how little the 2010 model hsv's differ from the 2006....
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #51
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Not many owners track their cars.

Just look around this forum, there's only a handful of members that actually go to a circuit regularly.

While I’d much prefer this interface screen to a set of poxy stickers, most won’t feel the same way. I long for the day when FPV drop vinyl as an option on these cars, although market forces will no doubt determine otherwise. They just cheapen a good vehcile, and reinforce the bogan factor imo.

Well done HSV, although I think the platform you have used to launch it is a little off the mark, GTS no brainer, Grange owner – most of them have already got one foot, plus a leg in the grave, circuit I doubt they’ll ever see.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #52
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Of course it would be irrelevant, I obviously meant the 2006 Grange but it does not matter the result would be the same......
If you have official results of this side by side comparison of which you speak then post em up !!!!!!!!!
I'd love to see them whatever the result.
Waiting with baited breath.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #53
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I think some people forget how little the 2010 model hsv's differ from the 2006....
True - but the update 2010 model in this story gets the 325 Kw GTS engine etc....and the sundry technical engine upgrades that go with it.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #54
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

lol at some of the comment in this thread.

If this stuff was added to the new S/C V8 then everyone here would be going crazy, like "OMG Ford are going above and beyond" but because it's on a HSV it's purely **** factor.

Seriously, some of these comments are a laugh. It's ideas and technology like this that make HSV a more dominating car than FPV. Period!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #55
qdda5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
This is the future direction for HSV.. technology and driving dynamic enhancements.
They've effectively hit a power ceiling now which means they're looking at other aspects of the car.

Hardly hit a power ceiling. More to come if needed as been shown in the past. Besides that a supercharger would fix any problems thats for sure
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #56
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Well done HSV, although I think the platform you have used to launch it is a little off the mark, GTS no brainer, Grange owner – most of them have already got one foot, plus a leg in the grave, circuit I doubt they’ll ever see.
I beleive they are using the Grange... so they can say they have increased the power output without actually doing anything.. all they've done is put the 325 in it.. instead of the 317 it had previously...

just a marketing ploy to play with words...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #57
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting idea. This is the kind of stuff I want HSV, and FPV aswell to be focusing on, but I doubt many Grange owners would take their cars to the track.

Clubsport, and GTS owners definitely.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #58
HSE2

Quote:

Ouch take that.

Well done HSV in continuing to evolve and introduce cutting edge technology expected of a premium brand.

Continue to be the leaders and innovations of technology to this end of the market.

Mod hat on, play nice everyone. Express opinions not debate the merits of holding them. The worth will be judged silently by the community, the way it should be.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #59
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

more junk you dont need
Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #60
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
If this stuff was added to the new S/C V8 then everyone here would be going crazy, like "OMG Ford are going above and beyond" but because it's on a HSV it's purely **** factor.
No........its because its offered on the GRANGE that makes it wasteful and aimless. As others have said - on the GTS / R8 where owners are likely to see a track day - then it has its limited uses and also pivots these more focused cars to performance car enthusiasts. In that respect....for the GRANGE application......it is indeed **** factor.