Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: V8MC, a cunning plan or not
Hell yes, I would love to see this 27 40.30%
Yes It would be good for me but would not be popular with most bogans so would eventually fail 10 14.93%
No, it would just dilute V8SC and take focus from the real racing 5 7.46%
Hell no, the past is the past, leave it there 25 37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #31
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Historics are real cars from the era, they are slow and "boring" compared to V8SC. The idea is to make a TV friendly series.

These cars are like V8SC, completely FAKE just made to look like the originals.
Wow, that's a statement !! The historics would have to of been the highlight for our group who went to Bathurst last year. The racing, the pit walk, talking to the owners of the cars, very memorable..............
Old 12-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #32
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
I will watch Bathurst because its a requirement.

I want a factory floor series where tyres, exhausts and brake pads are all than can be changed.

Make racing like it was in the 70's.

I know it would be slower, but there is no comparison between the V8SC's and a showroom model.
Here here real racing and real cars
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #33
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Wow, that's a statement !! The historics would have to of been the highlight for our group who went to Bathurst last year. The racing, the pit walk, talking to the owners of the cars, very memorable..............
He's talking about what this guy proposes not what we have now with the Bianate series .
Old 12-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #34
bingoTE50
Steve

I think Flappist is talking about replicas like the Aussie Race Cars ? The minitiature versions with the bike engines . Similar theory but full size bodies with factory drive lines but fibreglass shells ? Am I correct Flappist..
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #35
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim
I'd like to see a v8 sedan series like the v8 utes. Not sure they would last a 1000km but would be great to see cars that look and are closer to the showroom floor and which can handle a bit more biffo
Theres no way a showroom car with a cage will stand up to the biff better then a V8SC
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #36
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So were only limited to a coupla models from each camp ???
Call me a tad old fashion here
But werent the "old days" of racing more interesting with multiple brands multiple models ???
I see the point of the 350 chevs, but im lost on the no 308s thing
Goin the 308 in a lighter car as apposed to the 350 monaro was a step forward in racing
Matter of fact goin to the humble 6 cylinder torana was the step forward from the V8 monaro
So we want a coupla old skool bodies running similar engines
Great for a little while,then boring as bat stuff
Thats why racing was great it advanced with the times
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #37
prydey
Rob

anything vaguely resembling factory cars in the engine, driveline, suspension department would die a slow death due to lack of financial support. a fair bit of coin is injected into the current v8's with the flyaway rounds and i couldn't see abu dhabi, bahrain, etc being interested in a race series that comprised of slow basically factory cars.

purpose built race cars is where its at. they are fast, they handle, they are cheap to repair (in comparison) and they are fairly unique.

having said that, a support category may be a different story but i feel we already have that with the biante series. it just needs more coverage to increase the fan base.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
I think Flappist is talking about replicas like the Aussie Race Cars ? The minitiature versions with the bike engines . Similar theory but full size bodies with factory drive lines but fibreglass shells ? Am I correct Flappist..
Sort of.

The would be exactly the same size as V8SC but look different.

A lot are missing the point of this. Yes there are many many different race series that feature original and replica muscle cars.
You can see all of them if you go to a track.

The problem is that the majority of V8SC enthusiasts have never been to a track, they watch it on TV.

V8SC is a television oriented formula which is why the cars are so colourful, closely matched and the safety car keeps interfering with the race.

"Real" car races hardly ever get on TV because they are "boring" for the average viewer. Who wants to watch a car 6 laps ahead out by itself going round and round? Unfortunately not many.

This is not supposed to replace any existing competition rather create something new that might catch the public's imagination.

The reason for the two types is the same as for V8SC. The racing must be close and constant and if there are too many variables it will be impossible.

V8MC (and V8SC for that matter) is to real production racing what "Blue Heelers" was to rural Policing or "Home and Away" is to life in Australia, just chewing gum for the brain to keep the masses amused.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #39
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd have to use 351 windsors rather than clevo's because you're not going to find the blocks to support such a series otherwise.

If we're talking V8 SC spec chassis with different sheet metal and bigger engines then I don't think it would work. While the idea isn't bad, there just simply isn't enough money out there to support it. Basically it would require a V8 supercar style budget for what amounts to a support category.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #40
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There isn't enough sponsorship $$ in this small country to support two large scale motorsport series anyway
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #41
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V8 super cars are ase boring as cow crap! "der, which coloured car will win this time?...." Where as the muscle car masters/Biante series is is exciting, many different makes and hands on driving- no onboard computers and adjustsble whatevers, just over powered, under handling, non aerodynamic ball tearing MUSCLE cars from the past. (in MY opinion, sorry if i upset anyone)
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #42
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

noosacuda,
Very valid point
Old style racing,when good drivers won races,not computer geeks running lap tops
Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #43
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And here in lies the problem , a contradiction in terms .

The problem is that the majority of V8SC enthusiasts have never been to a track, they watch it on TV.

They are obviously NOT entusiasts are they .
Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #44
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Noosacudda simmed it up quite succinctly , " Boring as Bovine Excrement "
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
And here in lies the problem , a contradiction in terms .

They are obviously NOT entusiasts are they .
Really, city boy?

Which events have YOU attended including the ones where you had to drive (not fly) maybe 2000km to get there?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #46
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The idea of this was not to start a V8SC war. It was an idea for an event.

Some don't think that V8SC is "real racing" but then plenty of people don't think AFL is a sport (or NRL or soccer or whatever).

The sad truth is that V8SC is the most popular car racing in Australia.

This should not come as a surprise as we live in a country where Masterchef and Xfactor are two of the most popular events.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #47
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V8SC the most popular car racing in aus ???
Old 12-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
This should not come as a surprise as we live in a country where Masterchef and Xfactor are two of the most popular events.
Only since Big Brother left town
Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
V8SC the most popular car racing in aus ???
Absolutely.

Nothing else comes even close.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #50
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got back from phillip island tonight, I was there for the whole weekend, and they were running the minis those cars are incredibly evenly matched and the racing is close as a result close equals exciting not fast 4 cars dicing for the lead is exciting - one car or team bolting off with it by a massive margin because they have a better setup makes it a yawn. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the guys in the minis war it out so to speak it became less about who has the best car/setup and a heck of alot more about who has more skill as a driver..

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #51
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Bugger the old donks...

Add a 5.0L Coyote or 5.4L Boss with Alloy Block and for Holden a L98/LS3 or a LSX Block to whatever size, the Clevo, 350, Ect have had thier day.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #52
carnige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im ok with the idear.

me tho i would realy like to se an XD XE XF serise with the same holden serise VC VB VH racing. where u can run 289, 351, 253, 308... all 100% stock thats some hting i would buy a race car and race in...
carnige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #53
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really, city boy?

Which events have YOU attended including the ones where you had to drive (not fly) maybe 2000km to get there?
Every Bathurst since 1977 , every Warwick Farm from 1970 until it closed , every Oran Park from 1970 until it closed , every Amaroo Park from 1970 until it closed , every Catalina Park from 1970 until it closed . Followed the Tasman Series once ( Driving ) here and New Zealand , Numerous F1 Grands Prix , Le Mans .
Old 13-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #54
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Every Bathurst since 1977 , every Warwick Farm from 1970 until it closed , every Oran Park from 1970 until it closed , every Amaroo Park from 1970 until it closed , every Catalina Park from 1970 until it closed . Followed the Tasman Series once ( Driving ) here and New Zealand , Numerous F1 Grands Prix , Le Mans .
So have attended LOTS of racing close to your home in Sydney. How many do you think you would have attended d in Weipa or Tennent Ck or Bedourie or Wyndam or Willis Is or wherever.

Or are all of those people precluded from being racing enthusiasts because it would take them longer than a weekend just to get to a venue let alone go home again.......
Old 13-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #55
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about running std falcon turbo 6 and and 5.0L V8 coyote against commodore V8's and just run them with better brake pads and a bit of tuning modes as a side dish to V8SC.
Just to liven up the ford holden debate.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post