Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #31
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've noticed over the last 12 months or so there seems to be a concerted effort from both current affairs programmes to find faults with and high light the misuse/abuse of speed cameras.
I believe there is a ground swell of support to have these abominations that are a blight on the landscape wiped from the face of the earth.
Hopefully they will keep up the pressure to prove they are just a cash cow for government coffers.
Keep up the good work I say.
By the same token though, don't speed and you won't have to contribute.
Old 25-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #32
WMD351
Size it up

Thanks again for the link Daniel, couldn't agree more with the whole speed kills problem. Therefore if I don't speed, I must be safe.
Interesting that every time the police here in Victoria want to go on strike they simply stop processing the fines. It's the only thing the government understands.
Old 26-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #33
Gaz
Got Ghia?

There was a story run in WA about our new super awesome speed camera and how it caught 3000 people in a few hours on the freeway, in an 80 zone, a few hundred meters short of the 100 zone.

Story then proceeding to tell how mining companies were paying police to do overtime to patrol a country road where there have been about 10 deaths this year, and why a private company is paying the police to do the Governments Job.
Old 26-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #34
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Theres plenty of other things they could ping us for that do cause accidents and you don't to take your attention off the road to do it.

*tailgating
*not indicating
*cutting people off
*running stop signs
*disobeying no right or left turns
*not giving way to Buses leaving the kerb
*overtaking on the left

and many more, cops could get a lot of revenue from such things in un marked cars with the appauling attitude of drivers these days, I see it every day and makes me wonder how people can be so stubborn!

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Old 26-10-2010, 04:59 AM   #35
seduced_xr
BF XR6

i dont need to look at the big picture, the road toll is going up, speed cameras are going up, revenue raising is going up.. clearly speed cameras aernt doing us any good.

this is the exact reason i have a radar detector hanging off my windscreen
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
Old 26-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #36
jason71
google is my friend

Won't have to worry about speed cameras soon if the NSW RTA have their way:

Quote:
NEW dashboard technology that warns drivers to stop speeding could save 35 lives on the state's roads each year, the RTA said.

The new Intelligent Speed Adaptation technology was the subject of a landmark six-month trial involving 100 vehicles and the RTA believes it shows a dramatic change in driver behaviour.

It is the first step towards the RTA's long-term goal of having all new cars in NSW fitted with anti-speeding devices that can cut power to the accelerator. The ISA machines were trialled in the Illawarra region between September 2009 and March this year.

They were linked to a detailed mapping system of every road and its speed limit. The display flashes red and beeps repeatedly if the speed limit is exceeded, warning the driver to stop accelerating.

The trial found that 89 per cent of drivers reduced the amount of time they spent speeding. "According to our road safety modelling, we believe there would be 35 less deaths on the road each year, and around 1455 less injuries, if every vehicle in NSW used this technology," RTA Centre for Road Safety principal analyst John Wall said.

The ISA will be trialled in Sydney in RTA vehicles, and will be available on a smartphone application next year.

More than 20,000 speed signs in Sydney have already been mapped by the RTA, with the entire 186,000km of NSW roads to eventually be linked to the ISA system.

One participant in the trial said her teenage son refused to borrow her car any more, because he couldn't stand the sound of the beeping. "I found it annoying , it was very difficult when there were cars trying to push you along," one woman said. "My son said he never wanted to use my car any more."

Although many years away, the RTA wants to ultimately bring in the so-called "supportive" ISA technology that is directly linked to the vehicle's accelerator.

It warns when the speed limit is exceeded, and if the driver fails to slow down the system cuts power.
LINK
Old 26-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #37
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason71

LINK
Have to look away before I punch the screen. What a f###ing stupid idea.
Old 26-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #38
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm i wonder what they do to speed camera's in the UK.....
Old 26-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #39
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Speed camera's are part of the 4 week story cycle.. they also have "cosmetic surgery", "push up bras", "fake tans", "miracle diets", "hoons" and "dodgy tradesman" on the 4 week story rotation.....
Don't forget "youth gangs", "greedy councils" and "neighbours/tenants from hell".

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 26-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #40
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
As my old mate Sun Tzu said "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

I will support ANYONE who is against social engineering and erosion of freedom and constantly attack those who wish to take away basic human rights.
Have a beer flappy, you deserve it with a post like that (damn, no beer icon! Mods, a beer icon if you will :-D)

As others have pointed out, if Govco were to scrap the revenue cameras, they will find another way of extorting money from us, after all, the shareholders of Govco demand dividends and profit...

Quote:

LINK

Now that is beyond ridiculous! Are these people for real???
Old 26-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #41
mowog
Discovery 4

Speed camera's are a political tool. The solution to the issue is a political one.

I can't believe the voters in Victoria have let this go on for so long without making it an election issue.

Its pretty simple really if a lot of drivers write to their state member and tell they wont vote for them if fail they to stand against the "Over Use" of speed camera's.

Watch the political will change then.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 26-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #42
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Quote:

LINK

..........Although many years away, the RTA wants to ultimately bring in the so-called "supportive" ISA technology that is directly linked to the vehicle's accelerator.

It warns when the speed limit is exceeded, and if the driver fails to slow down the system cuts power.
How handy would that be as you're overtaking a B-Double??

Strangers have the best candy.......
Old 26-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #43
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
As my old mate Sun Tzu said "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

I will support ANYONE who is against social engineering and erosion of freedom and constantly attack those who wish to take away basic human rights.
Ever thought about running for your local seat Tony, i reckon you would go well.
Old 26-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001
How handy would that be as you're overtaking a B-Double??
It will never happen.

Quite simply once govco mandate this sort of control they are liable under law for any consequences and the likes of Slater & Gordon et al. will be salivating the moment it starts.....
Old 26-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #45
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
Speed camera's are a political tool. The solution to the issue is a political one.

I can't believe the voters in Victoria have let this go on for so long without making it an election issue.

Its pretty simple really if a lot of drivers write to their state member and tell they wont vote for them if fail they to stand against the "Over Use" of speed camera's.

Watch the political will change then.
No matter which political party gets the job in a few weeks time, the cameras will stay unless other measures are taken to rid us of them.
Old 26-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #46
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
i dont need to look at the big picture, the road toll is going up, speed cameras are going up, revenue raising is going up.. clearly speed cameras aernt doing us any good.

this is the exact reason i have a radar detector hanging off my windscreen
Don't forget stamp duty, land tax, water, electricity, etc.

If Vic was a business, it would be in the bottom 100 list in BRW magazine.
Old 26-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #47
bluovl

I watched the show last night and I agree it was the one of the better segments that they have aired.
What I took out of it was even if you are 'speeding', if you are concentrating you are less likely to cause any carnage. It then got me to thinking about other targets of the law enforcers. Modified car owners are unfairly targetted and singled out but most us that drive these cars concentrate 100% when we have our pride and joys on the road. I know the amount of time and money I have put into my cars and am always ultra aware of whats going on around me when I have one of my cars on the road.
Yet some airhead dud that drives a stock clone mobile drives to the law yet pays little attention to what is happening around them and ends up in an accident.
Yet I'm the risk on the road because of my modified vehicle?
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
Old 26-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Translations to make it become clearer:

Statement: If you don't speed you won't get booked.
Translation: If you do as you are told I will not have to hit you.

Statement: It is for road safety, a necessary part of road toll reduction.
Translation: He only hits me because he loves me, I must deserve it.

Speed camera: Serious assault
Safety camera: Appropriate discipline

The speed camera apologists are no different from the domestic violence apologists, they really think they are doing the right thing and can not understand why so many are against what they do and say. Also like domestic violence apologists they tend to get quite upset and agressive at anyone who questions their position.
Old 26-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #49
Matty4
Banana

I've said it before and I'll say it again,
the only way to make any changes to the current system is to do to them what they are doing to us, ie. take away their money stream.
If more and more people elected to fight their unjust fines by having it heard in court (whether it actually goes to court or not is irrelevent) and making the court system grind to a standstill and start costing the gummint more to run than they reap, then things will slowly change.

The more people who elect to have their day in court means that the lead time to having the brief delivered and the summons issued will blow out to over 12 months, the cutoff date here in Vic IIRC, for them to charge you with an offence.

These guys are on the right track.
http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com.au/

Even if you don't "donate" to them, sign their online petition. Weight of numbers can have a telling effect. Bleating about on a forum achieves nothing.
Old 26-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #50
sandmanls1

+1 with matty4 if we all fight in court the system will become unmanageable and no money will come in. Libs won't give it up govt's are addicted to the revenue. How about a motorists party?? That cop was an absolute tool Overland should sack him zero credibility another one of Dumby's spin puppets.

didn't they have a legal challenge in a state of america and the speed camera's were removed?

Note the comments about how many remained unpaid..

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20004508-71.html
Old 26-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #51
irlewy86
Meep Meep

"Speed Camera Rorts" has been an interesting mutation to the 6.30 entertainment slot. What was once just the "Big government picking on a battler story", speed camera's gave an entire spin off and established their own place in the "slush pile".
Old 26-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #52
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

That police officer looked like a really muppet. That kind of stubborn refusal to look at a situation with facts and rationality just shows that that man does not deserve any position of power. Ever.
Old 26-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #53
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Translations to make it become clearer:

Statement: If you don't speed you won't get booked.
Translation: If you do as you are told I will not have to hit you.

Statement: It is for road safety, a necessary part of road toll reduction.
Translation: He only hits me because he loves me, I must deserve it.

Speed camera: Serious assault
Safety camera: Appropriate discipline

The speed camera apologists are no different from the domestic violence apologists, they really think they are doing the right thing and can not understand why so many are against what they do and say. Also like domestic violence apologists they tend to get quite upset and agressive at anyone who questions their position.
I've never seen anyway compare the issue to domestic violence. That came way out of left field.

There is shades of hypocrisy in the governments position. Time and time again they have defended rehabilitation programs for sex offenders, the end of corporal punishment, lenient sentences for violent offenders all revolving around an idea that there is no value in over-vigorous Pavlov's dog type law and order. Unless it comes to speed camera's then its perfectly okay to "raise community awareness" through deceitful heavy handedness.
Old 26-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #54
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I've never seen anyway compare the issue to domestic violence. That came way out of left field.
Really?

Yeh, most involved in domestic violence can't see that what they are doing is wrong or could be compared to any other inappropriate activity either.

So what should it compared to.....

Bullying?

Extortion?

Blackmail?

Please note that there is a huge difference between illegal and wrong.

All of the concentration camps all over the world, the genocide of the Tasmanian Aborigine and slavery throughout the western world were perfectly legal under the law at the time and unsurprisingly anyone who stood against any of these thing was attacked mercilessly by the "righteous".
Old 26-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #55
XlR8TED

^ That's a strawman, Flappist...and you know it.
Old 26-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #56
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XlR8TED
Oops, might have touched a few nerves here.

So maybe more recent events would be more appropriate.

White Australia Policy?
Conscription?
Death Duties?
Right to march?
CB Radio?
Radio & Television License?

And the ones that are current.

Alcopop tax.
Water rates for rain.
Internet censorship.

All govco extortion and all fanatically supported by apologists....
Old 26-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #57
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by XlR8TED
Care to elaborate Xlr8ted?
Old 26-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #58
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
No matter which political party gets the job in a few weeks time, the cameras will stay unless other measures are taken to rid us of them.
I have taken the first step I have written to my local member. Qld isn't as bad as Victoria yet but it is heading that way with a broke State Govt looking for revenue.

Trust me if enough people make it an election issue things will change. But if people just sit back and complain and do nothing then the outcome is guaranteed.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 26-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #59
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as I agree that speed cameras suck, the Government have budgeted for the speed camera money and if they dont get it they will find it somewhere else, perhaps somewhere you can't avoid it, Speeding is a choice at the end of the day, you speed you cop it.
Old 26-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #60
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
I have taken the first step I have written to my local member. Qld isn't as bad as Victoria yet but it is heading that way with a broke State Govt looking for revenue.

Trust me if enough people make it an election issue things will change. But if people just sit back and complain and do nothing then the outcome is guaranteed.
That's the first step mowog, like yourself, I have written to the local member and the Premier's office. Now we need everyone else who feels the same way to start flooding their offices with similar mail.

The system is rotten to the core, its high time the real power in this land, us the people, made itself known again!
Closed Thread