Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Headlights on in the daytime
Yes 66 45.83%
No 78 54.17%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #31
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

No, im one of those fools that holds off turning on the headlights until absolutely necessary. My usual plan of attack is, headlights on when dash cluster becomes too hard to see. How ive been since 1993. lol. later.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #32
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
-1,000,000 for me.

I own a black car, and when driving through tunnels or even shady areas you get all sort of people who don't see you. Pull up to the lights and get the usual obligatory shrug from them and an "I didn't see you there"
The problem isn't they couldn't see you - it is they didn't look.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 03:56 AM   #33
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I'd hazard a guess that the majority of the time that's true too, scary stuff no?

Either way, I keep them on just in case, and I like the look of them
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Them getting a refraction after the crash because they did not see your car against a similar colour background will not help you when you are dead.
Absolutely spot on. There is no down side to having the lights on, it's proven to be safer to have them on during the day, why are we even having this discussion? It might only save you once in a lifetime. It might never, but it just increases the chance of avoiding an accident. It's certainly never going to be the cause of an accident. Better to be safe than dead or severely injured.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #35
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Poll options leave a lot to be desired.

Full Sun? No. All other times? Yes.
In the later model commodore's auto lights they have a setting for early/normal/late for when they come on
I found even the early setting was too late...
Yes they do leave a lot to be desired.

Either as a result of the wording of the poll responses or the cross section of the public that we have on these forums the results so far are no where near accurate. Looking around on the roads there is no way that over 40% of cars drive around in daytime hours with their headlights on, the true figure would be a lot lower, perhaps 5%.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
No, im one of those fools that holds off turning on the headlights until absolutely necessary. My usual plan of attack is, headlights on when dash cluster becomes too hard to see. How ive been since 1993. lol. later.
With my current car. I struggle to read the speedo in daylight without lights on if the sun is in the wrong spot.
Cloudy rain fog during day I will have them on. Clear I normally won't. But some cars look better with lights on during day.

I'm at work now sitting on a train at a red signal adjacent to a main road. There is currently light rain and I am watching traffic come around the bend that is about 700 meters away. And I can say that cars with lights on stand out as soon as they come around the corner. But cars without lights are a struggle to see until they get well around the bend. Just my little experiment there.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #37
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
Voted no. Maybe it is proven to be safer to have them on but find it pointless. In the middle of daylight If you can't see another car because they don't have their headlights on time for a visit to the optometrist
Agreed, looks like AFF is the daytime headlight fanboi club.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #38
Jimmyd
Banned

Voted yes - when you play dodgems with rubberneck tourists all day its just one of many self preservation measures I apply........
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #39
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
That's it in a nutshell right there. It's not that they make you more visable to others, it's just that most drivers don't make a concerted effort to look properly before changing lanes/pulling out etc.

In 22+ years of driving I have always had either dark coloured cars (blue, black and currently Ego) or colours that supposedly blend (Silver and light grey). Not once have I felt someone move into my path nor have I ever heard the "I didn't see you there"

I only use them at night or in really bad weather.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #40
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Yes, always
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #41
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Poll options leave a lot to be desired.

Full Sun? No. All other times? Yes.
In the later model commodore's auto lights they have a setting for early/normal/late for when they come on
I found even the early setting was too late...
Its pretty straight forward, i understand not everyday is full sun but if you couldnt work out that i meant day time as is in 'during the day' then there is something wrong.
Ok i could have put 'Daytime hours' other then that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Either as a result of the wording of the poll responses or the cross section of the public that we have on these forums the results so far are no where near accurate. Looking around on the roads there is no way that over 40% of cars drive around in daytime hours with their headlights on, the true figure would be a lot lower, perhaps 5%.
What you have to remember is that on here we have people on here mainly that are motoring enthusiasts, so care about being seen, not wanting their car ran into if it is indeed the case that it makes certain colours more visible in certain conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Agreed, looks like AFF is the daytime headlight fanboi club.
Hardly see that as the case, whats wrong with using headlights in the day time?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #42
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Always have done....never high beams and never fog lights (unless very foggy) Most people cant set their side mirrors properly and so have a blind spot.....having my lights on has often been enough for said lane changer to spot me and rethink their manoeuvre.

On Highways, long country roads it makes a hell of a difference judging the distance an oncoming vehicle is from you if the headlights are on.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #43
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
My usual plan of attack is, headlights on when dash cluster becomes too hard to see.
Yeah, I'm similar, except I put them on when it's hard to see whilst wearing sunglasses. I have a pair of aviators basically plastered to my face whenever i'm not inside at daytime.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #44
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Its pretty straight forward, i understand not everyday is full sun but if you couldnt work out that i meant day time as is in 'during the day' then there is something wrong.
Ok i could have put 'Daytime hours' other then that.

What you have to remember is that on here we have people on here mainly that are motoring enthusiasts, so care about being seen, not wanting their car ran into if it is indeed the case that it makes certain colours more visible in certain conditions.

Hardly see that as the case, whats wrong with using headlights in the day time?
That is what I meant when I mentioned the cross section of the public that AFF represents, being car enthusiasts we are not exactly the average joe and that is reflected in the poll results. I mentioned it not as a problem with the poll, more a factor that will affect the results.

Of course we are going to be called fanboi's, some here have the predjudicial consideration that anyone driving with headlights of DRL's on during clear daytime conditions is a ******.

They are welcome to see my headlights on and call me a fanboi or ****** if they wish, at least they have noticed me and unlikely to want to crash into me.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #45
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

From the poll results thus far we should see 43% of road users have headlights on during the day. As this is not nearly the case one can only assume fanbois of headlights congregate here...that or AFF is paranoia central.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #46
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
From the poll results thus far we should see 43% of road users have headlights on during the day. As this is not nearly the case one can only assume fanbois of headlights congregate here...that or AFF is paranoia central.
Well call me a fanboi then doesnt bother me all that much, but iam far from paranoid.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #47
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
...that or AFF is paranoia central.
No, you're thinking of Whirlpool forums, pretty sure they have an entire 'tinfoil hat' section
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #48
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just out driving in the rain before and the amount of people without their lights on was staggering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
It might only save you once in a lifetime. It might never, but it just increases the chance of avoiding an accident.
I agree with this. Any measure I can take, no matter how minuscule, to reduce the chances of a car crash, I will take it.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #49
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Yeah, I'm similar, except I put them on when it's hard to see whilst wearing sunglasses. I have a pair of aviators basically plastered to my face whenever i'm not inside at daytime.

We had a conversation on this subject at work a few months ago. I stated that id noticed that all cars with headlights on, during the trip home from work had sunglasses on, it was amusing to see that i was the only one that had noticed this occurance. lol.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #50
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
I was just out driving in the rain before and the amount of people without their lights on was staggering.
and it seems to be more often than not the grey/silver cars. they have no idea how invisible their cars are in low light

lights on always for me
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #51
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
We had a conversation on this subject at work a few months ago. I stated that id noticed that all cars with headlights on, during the trip home from work had sunglasses on, it was amusing to see that i was the only one that had noticed this occurance. lol.
I have a nice pair of polarised RayBans, everything has a yellow tinge to it but they are not dark at all. I could wear them at night no problems. Even in rain in Qld I wear them, there is often the ever present glare even when overcast.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #52
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I to be honest am shocked with the responses to this poll, I thought for sure on a car enthusiast forum where I am willing to bet
that over 50% of the members are probably "LIVELY" drivers more would have taken any advantage available to them to make themselves
safer on our roads.

I would also like to know how many of the members that have voted yes on this poll are either professional drivers or
spend a lot of time on the road.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #53
BFZF8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Bright clear sunny days, no. Unless I'm on the highway - highway trips they're always on regardless.

Cloudy/overcast day - depending how dull the light is, I will tend to put them on just to aid my car being seen by others.
I do exactly this. The rest of the time I don't touch the switch on the XR8 it just stays on "Auto". I didn't vote because this puts me somewhere in the middle.
BFZF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #54
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Bright clear sunny days, no. Unless I'm on the highway - highway trips they're always on regardless.

Cloudy/overcast day - depending how dull the light is, I will tend to put them on just to aid my car being seen by others.
+1. highway trips they are always on. anyone saying its a waste of time obviously hasn't driven a lot inter state. you can see a car with its lights on long before one without.

as for round town, mine stay on auto, unless its poor conditions (rain) and then i turn them on. at least with the fg you can adjust how early they come on and how late they turn off.

i didn't vote as i basically only do it on the highway.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #55
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

in rain or just overcast definitely leave lights on but on sunny days, i dont bother... come to think of it though i probly should leave them on anytime... our cars are all dark colours
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #56
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
No, you're thinking of Whirlpool forums, pretty sure they have an entire 'tinfoil hat' section
I'm on another 14 day bin penalty over at WP. Offending lefties too much.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #57
BHDOGS
Banned

I dont drive with my headlights on, if i did how would all the fullysick car drivers that drive around with them on be able to differentiate themselves for the look at me i need attention to live factor just like the new daylight driving lights craze of led bars on your front bumper.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 AM   #58
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Mine's an ex Telstra............Cant turn em off, only down to parkers which i don't bother.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #59
bluovl

My daily driver is silver so I drive with the parking lights on only most days.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #60
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
I dont drive with my headlights on, if i did how would all the fullysick car drivers that drive around with them on be able to differentiate themselves for the look at me i need attention to live factor just like the new daylight driving lights craze of led bars on your front bumper.
Typing fingers working before brain eh?