Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2011, 02:11 AM   #31
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Like others have said, many people who buy these Hybrid cars want everyone else to know they have one. Honda were having a tough time selling the Civic Hybrid, but I bet people will be loving the new Insight because it gives them a higher sense of being or some crap like that!
Yeah, it's not so important to be doing your bit for the environment so much as being <b>seen</b> to be doing your bit.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #32
Transit Truck

Nothing is mentioned about running the airconditioner or heater. Since this is purely electric, running these items at night, including the headlamps will surely reduce the distance it can travel.

This 160 km* is most likely with everything switched off.

I guess a 100 km range more likely in real circumstances.
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:28 AM   #33
kpcart
Banned

man, this is taking too long. i watched 'Beyond 2000' in the 80s and they talked about electric cars, geez the electric car was actually around before the internal cumbustion engine car! its all taking too way too long... prius has been around like 10 years, and since then weve seen maybe 3 other hybrids in Australia, when electric cars come in, it will also be just the odd 1 in 100 cars i think. there are too many forces pushing for this NOT to be mainstream.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #34
Till_Lind
E-series fan

Though I can't see myself being a electric car customer any time soon, I gotta say this Focus will have to be one of the best on the market when it's released.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #35
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
there are too many forces pushing for this NOT to be mainstream.
I think when cost is ok, when the technology allows them to suit our lifestyles - fast charging, long range, with good performance- it will become mainstream. Gotta start where we can though.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #36
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Like others have said, many people who buy these Hybrid cars want everyone else to know they have one. Honda were having a tough time selling the Civic Hybrid, but I bet people will be loving the new Insight because it gives them a higher sense of being or some crap like that!

I agree that is how it was in the begining, a decade ago. However, to sell volume (and thereby reduce cost) you need to be able to sell these things to people who do not have their nose up in the air, like most people, and I think that is why Ford is selling the Escape and Fusion hybrids beyond expectations.

Personally the Focus Electric is only attractive to me because there are no compromises and I don't have to drive an odd looking vehicle to reap the benefits.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #37
gunner

Default Re: 2012 Ford Focus Electric

http://www.caradvice.com.au/151572/f...ge-2-35l100km/

Quote:
The new Ford Focus Electric is expected to become the first electric vehicle to crack the 100MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) barrier (2.35 litres per 100km).

Two of its main rivals in the US, the Nissan LEAF and Chevrolet Volt (both of which are headed to Australia in 2012), come close, achieving 99MPGe (2.37L/100km) and 93MPGe (2.5L/100km), respectively.

Sherif Marakby, director of Ford’s Electrification Programs and Engineering, said Ford is “pleased the Focus Electric will break the 100 MPGe mark”, labelling it “a great symbol of how Ford has transformed its fleet with many vehicles delivering leading fuel economy and efficiency”.

The new Focus Electric uses technology that allows it to be recharged in half the time (three hours) it takes to recharge the Nissan LEAF, using a conventional 240-volt power socket.

Additionally, the Ford Focus Electric features various advanced technologies, including one that assists battery longevity by using an active liquid cooling and warming system to keep the lithium-ion battery pack at an optimum temperature at all times.

An innovative remote control system allows the owner to connect to the Focus via the MyFord smartphone app. The user can check the status of the Focus’s battery levels without being near the vehicle. A solar panel recharge system is also available.

Ford Australia is still investigating the Focus Electric for our market. We’ll keep you updated on any progress.
Good to see Ford is continuing to deliver on its promises. The Focus Electric recharge of 3 hours is impressive. The technology is starting to mature!

The big question is still $$$...
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #38
Rodge
Banned

The ultization of a platform that's allready in such widespread use must give them a significant production cost advantage over the Volt or Leaf and as price will be one of the most important keys to early adopters this looks good for Ford. I also like the system by which they're aiding the longevity of the batteries bvy keeping them at the ideal temperature. From, what I've read lithium-ion batteries can do with all the assitance they can get in terms of longevity.

2012 and early 2013 promises to be a new battle in the electric cars sales front and itll be interesting to see how the Leaf, Volt and the Electric Focus shape-up. I agree gunner, a 3 hour re-charge is impressive especially with a 160 km range. I predict sales of those little portable petrol 2.0KVA Honda generators will increase, the perfect ultra cheap range extender while having a long lunch anyone ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The thing is that the market for electric vehicles is rather small, yet most manufacturers are spending up big on making them with little return.

Just look how poorly the Chevy Volt is doing. Less monthly sales than the Falcon here, in the US market which is 10 times the size of ours, yet GM would have spent an absolute fortune making it with very little return on investment.

EV's just don't make any financial sense, for manufacturers or buyers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #40
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another focus article
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ic-2420318.php
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #41
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i think the main thing is no matter your situation or how you want to save the enviroment in your own litle way...ford will have it all in the ford focus range ....either petrol diesel electric or a mix...awesome...they cant go wrong
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #42
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Just looking at the picture of the white one rolling down the production line it appears Ford have reduce the grill size compared to the concept version - and it's looking worse for it.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #43
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Electric Vehicle Range extender = attaching a box trailer and a diesel generator?

I just got a vision of Wreckair or Coates Hire doing a roaring trade.....

Why not? Is there some issue with driving along pulling a running generator or am I missing something?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post