Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #31
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

amazing thread, not only can we find flood info but gold info and have unraveld a mystery of an old ancestor during a significant event in victoria's history, if not australia!
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #32
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

This thread wins it's interesting what you can learn on AFF sometimes!
Old 15-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #33
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I got a pic showing anglers tavern next to the maribyrnong flooded. On iPhone can't post till I get home.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #34
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With all the flash flooding going on around our state i hope the SES crews that went to the NQ floods will be heading back soon we will need them next week, this is just from the rain we got this week, we still have to get the NSW flood waters heading our way. The great Murry river is already 3 meters higher than what it was 3 weeks ago

Elmore & ROCHESTER , plus other little towns going up to ECHUCA are now starting to get worried as the CAMPASPE is rising faster than they thought, there saying when the peak hits ROCHY it will be around 8 meters , apparently the 1956 flood there was something around that mark, the streets in the business & shopping centres are under about half a metre of water now , plus the outer housing estate is going under too.

Elmore they just said on the local radio is flooding 1 km away from the town go to shep way, the reporter said the City of Bendigo sign from the shep side the water was 2 meters up to it as the river rises.

lets hope with all the warnings we are getting that we don't end up like some small towns in Queensland did.

the local radio stations are the best for info that the tv stations haven't said yet, they are just too far behind in the reporting & vision of what is unfolding in VICTORIA, the tv stations should now be more focused on NSW & VICTORIA

Last edited by turboxf; 15-01-2011 at 04:16 PM.
turboxf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #35
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

What is this place coming to? Stay safe guys and take care. And STAY OUT OF FLOOD WATERS PLEASE
Old 15-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #36
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
What is this place coming to? Stay safe guys and take care. And STAY OUT OF FLOOD WATERS PLEASE
Yes mate we got a great example of what can happen wadding & wiorking on the crap that's in the water, K RUDD was infected on his foot because he went & help out the other day.
Old 15-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #37
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rochester is under and the water is apparently still rising.
The campaspe was well and truly up at Elmore and Goornong yesterday.
Serpentine is the same.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #38
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaFlash
amazing thread, not only can we find flood info but gold info and have unraveld a mystery of an old ancestor during a significant event in victoria's history, if not australia!

thanks mate when i did the research of him i was told by my granny 1962 at 10 years old after my gf died, that there was a missing link to his family that still had to be worked out about the GOLD & EUREKA

The stories i stumbled upon in my search were fantastic, & in the book THE AUSTRALIANS which turned into a mini series here, the british woman author went through the book of the author & his eyewitness accounts of JAMES WILLIAM ESMOND going around sort of in cloak & dagger stuff trying to get the powder & fire arms in old Ballarat for the revolution .

Why Garraboldie was also in the mix during & after EUREKA & the main author of the siege after it, for some reason he forgot to mention PETER LAYLORS irsh friend. ESMOND
At Clunes there is a monument NOT FROM THE CLUNES people back then for discovering the 1st payable GOLD but the monument was donated & paid for by the GEELONG residents, there still is a fued going on with the old foundation residents families about who found the gold first?
I went there in around 2000 with my mother & we were virtually told to say nothing about james esmond, we went there on our way to SA as i was taking my mother back to MT Gambier,
IN THE HISTORY MUSEUM at clunes in the main street there was suppose to be a big portrait of him ,( i have a smaller one of him ) up stairs with all the old clothes the people wore back then , when we climbed the stars it was gone, the story was it was being restored at the state library in Melbourne, i went back 2 years later & it still was missing.

Ballarat remember him better than what CLUNES do. Even tho he had a big mine in Clunes.

Last edited by turboxf; 15-01-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 15-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #39
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Rochester is under and the water is apparently still rising.
The campaspe was well and truly up at Elmore and Goornong yesterday.
Serpentine is the same.
I live in GOORNONG in the township which is hilly, not like elmore & rochy there lower than us so we should be fine as we are a fair way from the river in town, but the low lying crop fields in the gully area might not be so fortunate as the river goes over.
I hope there safe if does come that bad as there saying on radio!
Old 15-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #40
Ba tradie

Hi all just got back from rochester we had water 4 to 5 foot high while we were doing evacs man its hit there hard
Ba tradie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #41
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Not as bad as SE QLD but seems the central & western districts are copping it.

Ballarat, Beufort, Creswick, Halls Gap, Clunes are all flooding as are many more. Halls Gap apparently being evacuated as are some parts of Ballarat.

Going to be a mess when I get home :(
Sorry to hear this inclement weather is effecting you southern roaches quite so much , if your home is a possible flood point make plans as the lessons learnt herein Qld proved for-thought is vital .
Be ready plan ahead and make sure you have a radio , change of clothes , water , a torch or two , generally three or four days food is enough and if you can’t take portable cooking gear then some easy prep stuff , some of the survival stuff tastes good after soaking in hot water .
Qld is going to be a filthy muddy mess for weeks but it's a wonderful indictment of the community spirit that as a group we help our neighbours clean and recover with little thought of personal gain and certainly separates the Aussie psych from anywhere else I have ever lived .
All I can do is say take care guys and our thoughts go with you , have to go wash our gear off ready for a day tomorrow checking communications and electrical services across a neighbourhood somewhere in Brisvenice .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #42
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Sorry to hear this inclement weather is effecting you southern roaches quite so much , if your home is a possible flood point make plans as the lessons learnt herein Qld proved for-thought is vital .
Be ready plan ahead and make sure you have a radio , change of clothes , water , a torch or two , generally three or four days food is enough and if you can’t take portable cooking gear then some easy prep stuff , some of the survival stuff tastes good after soaking in hot water .
Qld is going to be a filthy muddy mess for weeks but it's a wonderful indictment of the community spirit that as a group we help our neighbours clean and recover with little thought of personal gain and certainly separates the Aussie psych from anywhere else I have ever lived .
All I can do is say take care guys and our thoughts go with you , have to go wash our gear off ready for a day tomorrow checking communications and electrical services across a neighbourhood somewhere in Brisvenice .
thanks for your thoughts there mate, we might need the suggestions up this way & ECHUCA, the prediction for that tourist city is not looking good if the CAMPASPE river keeps rising before it hits them.
Old 16-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #43
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboxf
thanks for your thoughts there mate, we might need the suggestions up this way & ECHUCA, the prediction for that tourist city is not looking good if the CAMPASPE river keeps rising before it hits them.
I know for sure if you get anything like the conditions we have here the olfactory assult will be a lifetime memory , get ready folks and prepare
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #44
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaFlash
Can anyone care to elaborate how flooding makes Gold magically appear out of nowhere?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #45
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Can anyone care to elaborate how flooding makes Gold magically appear out of nowhere?
It doesn't. What it does do is wash away the earth in places revealing gold that has been sitting in dry creek beds etc.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #46
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like a lot of railway wash aways in Northern & Western Vic.
Got the suitcase packed & just waiting for the phone call.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #47
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Looks like a lot of railway wash aways in Northern & Western Vic.
Got the suitcase packed & just waiting for the phone call.
Cool. See you soon then!
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #48
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These floods in central & northern VICTORIA ARE A ONCE IN A HUNDRED YEAR FLOOD.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...16/3114016.htm

plenty of pics & vids
Old 17-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #49
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

This is no good, the whole eastern sea board is going to be one big soggy mess. Just as we start to dry out and begin the clean up, you guys cop it.

Good luck everyone, I hope you have some of the good fortunes we had (Brisbane river peaked 1m lower than expected) and I hope you see the public response that we have when clean up begins.

Most of all, keep safe.
Old 17-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #50
turboxf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
This is no good, the whole eastern sea board is going to be one big soggy mess. Just as we start to dry out and begin the clean up, you guys cop it.

Good luck everyone, I hope you have some of the good fortunes we had (Brisbane river peaked 1m lower than expected) and I hope you see the public response that we have when clean up begins.

Most of all, keep safe.
sure will be especially after the NSW flood waters hit the VIC ones next week on the border with all the rivers up, we still are not out of this by a long shot

Look what is happening in ECHUCA on the MURRAY RIVER, people better br more vigilant next time than what they have been this last week & this week?
Old 17-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #51
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does anyone know whether the Glenelg hwy is closed between linton and casterton, in victoria as i need travel this way on Wednesday.

thanks
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #52
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000
does anyone know whether the Glenelg hwy is closed between linton and casterton, in victoria as i need travel this way on Wednesday.

thanks
have a look at
this link

gives you a list of roads closed throughout the vic area

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #53
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been evacuated from Kerang most of the last week, it is pretty wet around here. Gotta thank the SES and all the volunteers that have been flat out sandbagging and protecting the town and the power substation, which supplies a vast area including Swan Hill and Mildura (not sure they understand how touch and go their electricity supply has been!), encompassing approximately 25000 homes in northern vic. So far no water has entered the town itself, although a large number of farmland and associated homes have been heavily affected. Here's a few aerial shots

LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #54
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

thats a lot of water.
they have done well to save the sub station. hope the banks hold up.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #55
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Very different floods here compared to QLD. Water is moving so slowly at least giving everyone some warning as shown with that amazing pic of the sub station. Doesn't help many that have lost so much and just must be painful twiddling fingers waiting for the water which has taken a week or so to reach Swan Hill which seems to be next on the agenda. Hope all goes OK over the next few days but just makes you wonder where the hell the water is coming from and when it will finally disappear!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #56
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sure is moving slowly but the volume of water is immense. My mate had been watching very closely at his Mum's farm, building up banks alongside the Pyramid Creek (which had been close to overflowing) closest to the house, shifting furniture out, sandbagging etc but interestingly the problem came from a completely different part of the farm on a separate creek system, the Nine Mile Creek. They had done their best to protect what they could, but it was a bit of an exercise in futility as the house got flooded on Thursday, which marked the anniversary of his fathers death 8 years ago. Rough day hey. It had risen to the point where the floodwater was actually flowing into the Pyramid Creek, that is, where they expected the water to come from, was taking the water from a different creek. But now the Pyramid is flooding as well because of the outflow from Kow Swamp near Leitchville. Needless to say, there is a bit of water in my mate's Mum's place, about 2ft and rising... this is on top of the 18" that it is off the ground. Doesn't look to be receding for at least another week. Slow and frustrating. Another mate was using his old Kwaka jetski to shift his dairy herd yesterday
Old 22-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #57
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 23-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #58
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

now it's Swan Hill's turn

Quote:
THE Victorian town of Swan Hill will hold a community meeting this morning about what to expect as floodwater moves towards the city of 10,000.

Residents have been put on alert for inundation as early as today as the swollen Loddon River, which flows into the Murray River, continues to flood parts of the state, with the peak expected at Swan Hill over the coming days.

The meeting is being held at the town hall at 11am (AEDT) and a relief centre has been set up at the indoor sports stadium in Gray Street.

The Loddon River peak reached Benjeroop yesterday and the SES is watching a handful of towns in its path north of Kerang after saying it is difficult to predict the peak because three rivers are coming together in one area.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #59
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here's the Kerang-Koondrook Road as you are approaching Pyramid Creek as of yesterday, still not receding. My mate's Mum's place is on the right there, a couple of classic cars in the shed there no doubt a bit wet.... this is the road I use to get to work every day.... Starting to go a bit loopy, been staying at the inlaws for a week now...

Old 24-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #60
rods falcon
Long time lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCO XP
here's the Kerang-Koondrook Road as you are approaching Pyramid Creek as of yesterday, still not receding. My mate's Mum's place is on the right there, a couple of classic cars in the shed there no doubt a bit wet.... this is the road I use to get to work every day.... Starting to go a bit loopy, been staying at the inlaws for a week now...

And I hear that there is still a fair bit of water coming down the nine mile so may be at least a couple of days before the road is opened. When I was a kid I used to live about 5km from where your photo has been taken. My olds are now at Teal Point however I am now a bit further away (near Horsham).

My mum said that there is a tractor parked in there that the water is half way up.