Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #31
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 
Default Re: Fuel Prices

Go the EcoLPi Falcon mid year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Unfortunately that fulfills none of my criteria so fuel efficient or not, it is not in the running.
Clearly your wants and needs have or are changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
It is a very large reason to give the large cars the flick when I can pay half those fuel costs with a smaller car.
Again, if you were willing to go from a 270kW BF F6 I6T to a 198kW EcoLPi Falcon then you could have a car that better than halved your fuel bill. Without having to downsize.

It sounds like you know what you want. I hope you enjoy it. Honestly, i do.

But i'm sure Ford is hoping / planning on lots of people (fleet or private) wanting to keep the power, size, comfort, refinement and versatility of a large car like Falcon but wanting to slash their fuel bills. EcoLPi is their answer. In January they'll also have EcoBoost I4T.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #32
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Why buy an FG XT when you can get a Focus xr5t or equivilent for less money, have almost as much room, be faster, be able to go around corners better, and oh yeah, use less fuel.

Definately something to think about.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...412-1dcr0.html

Quote:
High oil prices beginning to hit demand: energy agency
April 12, 2011 - 9:39PM

Soaring oil prices are beginning to hit demand, which has been trending downwards in recent months, the International Energy Agency said Tuesday.

"There are real risks that a sustained $100 US dollars a barrel-plus price environment will prove incompatible with the currently expected pace of economic recovery," the agency said in its monthly report.

The IEA noted that "global oil demand growth has shown signs of slowing in recent months in the face of sharply higher prices."
Advertisement: Story continues below

Following six months of forecast increases, the IEA kept its oil demand forecast for the rest of the year unchanged: that should reach 89.4 million barrels per day (bpd), 1.6 percent up on 2010, it said.

World oil production dropped by 70,000 bpd to 88.3 million bpd in March, due to a 70 percent drop in production in Libya, where rebels in the east of the country are fighting Moamer Kadhafi's regime, backed by NATO air strikes.

"The loss of Libyan production and the 25-]30 percent jump in oil prices since the crisis began in mid-February has so far drawn a limited response from fellow OPEC (Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries) members," the IEA said.

© 2011 AFP
Old 12-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #34
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Go the EcoLPi Falcon mid year!
Clearly your wants and needs have or are changing.

Again, if you were willing to go from a 270kW BF F6 I6T to a 198kW EcoLPi Falcon then you could have a car that better than halved your fuel bill. Without having to downsize.

It sounds like you know what you want. I hope you enjoy it. Honestly, i do.

But i'm sure Ford is hoping / planning on lots of people (fleet or private) wanting to keep the power, size, comfort, refinement and versatility of a large car like Falcon but wanting to slash their fuel bills. EcoLPi is their answer. In January they'll also have EcoBoost I4T.
Quote:
The only way for me to get the fuel efficiency that I want (for example < 8L/100km), great handling in the twisty roads that don't require illegal speeds to have fun and have a lot of creature comforts, I have to downsize the car.
The only criteria that has changed is in bold, when I bought the typhoon this was not so important but financial priorities change for many reasons.

Previously my daily driver has been the large car in the family, this is not a necessity and I can comfortably use a smaller car (but it has to fulfill my fun requirement).

The larger car of our family will belong to the other half which is also already selected and not as large as a falcon (when our mini moves on in june). With a fuel consumption of 3.6L/100 km (diesel) this car also has a massive saving over the typhoon.

Basically it breaks down like this, we are going from a typhoon and a Mini cooper s to the 2 new cars, 1 high performance hatch and the other a small SUV with enough room for what we need. The end result is that for the cost of fuelling up the typhoon each week on 98 at the moment, I can fuel both cars for the week.

So my needs have not really changed, never needed a big car like the typhoon (I just liked them), really I have just rationalised my wants. I know I am not alone on this, a friend of mine is getting rid of his Berlina and getting a medium size car (Mazda 6 Diesel) for the same reasons, I am sure there are more.

Anyway, enough about me, back to the topic.
Old 13-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #35
Kryton

What 2 cars are you looking at?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #36
fairBA
Banned

Rather than switching cars or running on gas, can't just ask the nice folk in the middle east to stop shooting each other?
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #37
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
What 2 cars are you looking at?

All in good time my friend. Once the deals are worked out along with the finer details I will spill the beans.
Old 13-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #38
Kryton

Will be interested to see.
I went shopping today myself (under $20000 secondhand), looking at smaller Turbo Diesels that dont drink like a Falcon.
Had enough of paying $80 a week to travel a measly 400 odd Km's.

Must say, the Cruze was on top of the list till i sat in it.
Park benches have to be softer to sit on than the seats they have put in these.
Anyway, will be interesting to see which way you go.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Thought I'd put it in here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/03/s...standards-and/

Quote:
Report: Saudi prince worried over increasing fuel economy standards and technology

by Autoblog Staff (RSS feed) on Jun 3rd 2011 at 5:56PM

This may sound surprising, but Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal has gone on record saying he wants the price of oil to decrease. Why's that you ask? It's all about the long-term game, says the Saudi Royal Family's stock market and real estate magnate. In a recent interview with "CNN's Fareed Zakaria GPS," Al Waleed admits:

We don't want the West to go and find alternatives, because, clearly, the higher the price of oil goes, the more they have incentives to go and find alternatives.

Talal goes on to say that he thinks the price of oil should be closer to $70 to $80 a barrel instead of the current $100/barrel rate. With such high oil and gasoline prices, Talal fears that new technologies are being pushed ever harder to squeeze more and more miles out of each gallon of gas. Further, Talal worries that U.S. efforts to increase its Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards to 35.5 mpg by 2016 and anywhere from 47 to 62 mpg by 2025 (along with automakers' burgeoning EV strategies) could eventually lead to reduced or eliminated dependence on Saudi oil.
[Source: Automotive News – sub. req. | Images: Nestor Galina via CC 2.0]