Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #31
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: France's new Commodore rival Renault Latitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Falcon has been around for 50 years, and has been a number 1 seller over a number of years, and still in the top 10 sellers, so how is that relevant to a Renault selling maybe a few hundred a year.

And Ford is not a nothing brand in Australia, I don't think they have been out of the top 3 sellers at least the last 7 decades.

The thing being, you dont need a car selling 1700 cars a month to replace the Falcon. All you need is an extra 10 cars being introduced into australia, that each may sway 100 Falcons/ Commodore buyers away. Its going to be the proliferation of cars that people can chose from, that will probably end Falcons run. Falcon is very reliant on Australia for its sales and cant make up the numbers in other countries. A Renault, a Kia (optima), A Hyundai (i45)or even a Suzuki (kazashi) sell most of their competing cars overseas, so dont mind selling 100 of a particluar type here. Its all those 100's that are killing Falcon/ commodore.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #32
Buntz
Straight Eight

Apparently there is no want for large cars anymore.... bollocks.
Old 15-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #33
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I would take the Optima over the French offering any day.....

My family has had / still has an assortment of cars. Some European, some Japanese and some Korean.

The Korean cars have hardly needed mechanical attention other than general maintenance... second to the Japanese cars.

The last car I sold was a near new frog.... countless problems and quality issues that just shouldn't have happened on a near new car. Never again will I spend a cent on a vehicle from France.. (I do have a soft spot for the old 2CV's however...)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #34
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

The last car I sold was a near new frog.... countless problems and quality issues that just shouldn't have happened on a near new car. Never again will I spend a cent on a vehicle from France.. (I do have a soft spot for the old 2CV's however...)
Mate, I've had 2 Renault's, and 3 Fords. The EF Falcon I had was a complete rubbish lemon, I spent 10K on JUST problems and critical drama's in one year of ownership, and that POS would never ever let up on me, I was an 18YO P Plater working a $10 hr kitchenhand job, and never had any money to go out because of that heap of ****.

The Fiesta Zetec Demo I replaced it with, Had a busted water pump before 10,000km, Had the whole drivers side window and regulator replaced (twice), had THREE different RDS Radio's replaced under warranty, and an engine out job when a cover on the diff came loose and dangled around the driveshaft.... that was in 2 and a half years

Lets see, the Renaultsport Clio and Megane.. Well the Clio went back to have a boot lock replaced, that was in Four years of ownership.

The Megane is still just a bub, only 4000k old, but I have no reason to doubt that my ownership will be just as satisfying.

Just to keep you all to speed, The F6 has had a gearbox seal replaced as it leaked gearbox oil after 2000k, and is back and forth out of the dealers due to a Bluetooth system that will not work properly (latest issue is that we are waiting on the replacement button cluster), The windscreen needs replacing because there are bubbles in the glass (and how that passed QC is beyond me).

The XR6 Turbo's been back for oddly high fuel consumption and black smoke from the exhaust, a shudder and bang in the gearbox (which is common in ZF's I hear), and poor paint quality on the front bumper (the clearcoat's just peeling off)

Time and again, most of you people let your stupid prejudices, and propensity for bandwagon jumping get in the way of what (shock horror) Might be a good car. Its the Ford Forum hate machine at it's typical bigoted best, and it is always 4 cylinder, French, Korean, Swedish, or Japanese cars that cop a whack before they even get a foothold. Some of you colourful critics can't even boast a nice vehicle in your own garage so who may I ask are some of you to bag something you'll never drive? Pathetic.

Personally I think the Lattitude is ugly on the outside and so is the Fluence. I have seen one on the inside though and it is truly amazing for the price, it is like an S class Merc inside. Sorry, but a G6E turbo don't have nothing on the Latitude Luxe interior, and I tell you what, if I was in the market for a Mid sized luxury vehicle in that price range you know what I would do?

I'd buy a Mondeo Titanium.... BUT!

If I could not stretch the budget to the Mondy (and lets face, Mondeo isn't cheap), The Latitude really is the only euro pick with the best features and true European build quality that can be had for Hyundai Kia Pricing, and that my friends, speaks a little for how hard Renault is trying have their cooking models noticed..

Also, with the brilliance that comes out of RenaultSport, and the following they have, I hope to GOD Renault does not leave Oz again (or if they do, leave RenaultSport as a stand alone marque - it DOES have a large following), Just as some of you hope to GOD that Ford doesn't shitcan the Falcon.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 02:41 AM   #35
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Mate, I've had 2 Renault's, and 3 Fords. The EF Falcon I had was a complete rubbish lemon, I spent 10K on JUST problems and critical drama's in one year of ownership, and that POS would never ever let up on me, I was an 18YO P Plater working a $10 hr kitchenhand job, and never had any money to go out because of that heap of ****.

The Fiesta Zetec Demo I replaced it with, Had a busted water pump before 10,000km, Had the whole drivers side window and regulator replaced (twice), had THREE different RDS Radio's replaced under warranty, and an engine out job when a cover on the diff came loose and dangled around the driveshaft.... that was in 2 and a half years

Lets see, the Renaultsport Clio and Megane.. Well the Clio went back to have a boot lock replaced, that was in Four years of ownership.

The Megane is still just a bub, only 4000k old, but I have no reason to doubt that my ownership will be just as satisfying.

Just to keep you all to speed, The F6 has had a gearbox seal replaced as it leaked gearbox oil after 2000k, and is back and forth out of the dealers due to a Bluetooth system that will not work properly (latest issue is that we are waiting on the replacement button cluster), The windscreen needs replacing because there are bubbles in the glass (and how that passed QC is beyond me).

The XR6 Turbo's been back for oddly high fuel consumption and black smoke from the exhaust, a shudder and bang in the gearbox (which is common in ZF's I hear), and poor paint quality on the front bumper (the clearcoat's just peeling off)

Time and again, most of you people let your stupid prejudices, and propensity for bandwagon jumping get in the way of what (shock horror) Might be a good car. Its the Ford Forum hate machine at it's typical bigoted best, and it is always 4 cylinder, French, Korean, Swedish, or Japanese cars that cop a whack before they even get a foothold. Some of you colourful critics can't even boast a nice vehicle in your own garage so who may I ask are some of you to bag something you'll never drive? Pathetic.

Personally I think the Lattitude is ugly on the outside and so is the Fluence. I have seen one on the inside though and it is truly amazing for the price, it is like an S class Merc inside. Sorry, but a G6E turbo don't have nothing on the Latitude Luxe interior, and I tell you what, if I was in the market for a Mid sized luxury vehicle in that price range you know what I would do?

If I could not stretch the budget to the Mondy (and lets face, Mondeo isn't cheap), The Latitude really is the only euro pick with the best features and true European build quality that can be had for Hyundai Kia Pricing, and that my friends, speaks a little for how hard Renault is trying have their cooking models noticed..

Also, with the brilliance that comes out of RenaultSport, and the following they have, I hope to GOD Renault does not leave Oz again (or if they do, leave RenaultSport as a stand alone marque - it DOES have a large following), Just as some of you hope to GOD that Ford doesn't shitcan the Falcon.
Old 17-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #36
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

Maybe it's time to move on then mate.

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/
Old 17-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #37
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED

re read his post and you might then understand what he is stating.
Old 17-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #38
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

France's new Commodore Rival ??

It's made in Korea .....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8

It's made in Korea .....
Its badged by a French manufacturer though.

How many parts from Falcon and Commodore come from overseas?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #40
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Its badged by a French manufacturer though.

How many parts from Falcon and Commodore come from overseas?

These are not parts, they are cars ...

People will be going into the Dealers expecting that these are French / European made.

Will the salesmen tell them they are made in Korea (not that there is anything wrong with that) ?

I'm betting the salesmen will be pushing the French aspect of the vehicle too.

Looks good.

Good price too.
Old 17-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #41
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

It's made in Korea .....
And your point is?

How many cars are made in their country of origin?
Old 17-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #42
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
And your point is?
See above ...
Old 17-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #43
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
See above ...
So tell me where the fiesta, Accord and Mazda 2 are made?
Where is the Mondeo made?
Wht about the 3 series BMW?
The list goes on.
Old 17-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #44
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
So tell me where the fiesta, Accord and Mazda 2 are made?
Wht about the 3 series BMW?
The list goes on.
In the end the Brand is what some buyers want ...

AND european brands DO have snob value.

This is part of some buyers' reason for choice.

Korean Renualt ? Snob value = zero
Old 17-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #45
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

In Belgium ...

Genk Plant
Old 17-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #46
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED

Oh! Thanks mate

Too bad I've been a member there since 2006 Been a member here (and the Fordforums US which came before it) for a lot longer

There are two car manufacturers I have a passion for, one is Ford, one is Renault. We aren't so different after all. Respect my passion and right to be passionate about a Renault, just as I respect you have a passion for a 93 model ED...

Wretched - Cheers mate, I didn't think what I posted was that hard to understand.
Old 17-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #47
Danny
GT4.

Thought I'd add a few more photo's for the good of the crew.

As said, not huge on the front, But the rear is okay, and the interior makes it clear that this car presents compelling value regardless of where it is built. It may be made in korea, but it is not a Kia or Hyundai, just as the BMW X5 is built in America, but is no Cadillac Escalade.
Old 17-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Links are broken dude
Old 17-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #49
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

This place has very little ability to understand much mate...
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #50
Danny
GT4.

Damn, stupid *** website even provided the code above the images for hotlinking, then reneges on it... Super odd.

Hopefully they work, If not, the internet has beaten me

Last edited by Danny; 17-04-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 18-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #51
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Settle down there....

So what you're saying is, my opinion is stupid because you don't agree with it??

Define 'prejudice' .... 'an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason'

Hmmm I can't talk for others, but if you did actually see what I wrote it was with my own personal knowledge, experience and was with reason.

Jump up and down as much as you like, but people do use past experiences with a particular marque in the decision making process when considering buying another car.

There is a stigma assiciated with European cars in Australia, they are generally seen as overpriced, expensive to maintain and depreciate more than other brands. As much as you have had a good run with your European cars, sad to say it certainly isn't the norm. My own ownership proved this as well.

Your response to me (and others??) started off well, but went into a childish rant of name calling that really wasn't necessary to get your point across.
Old 18-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #52
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
In the end the Brand is what some buyers want ...

AND european brands DO have snob value.

This is part of some buyers' reason for choice.

Korean Renualt ? Snob value = zero
Why does it matter where the car is built?
That is the point I am getting at.

Whether the car is made in France or Korea doesn't make a difference, it is still a french car. It was engineered and designed in France.

Is the Fiesta a Thai car or a European car?
Is the Volkswagen Golf a South African car or a European car?
Is the Accord a Japanese car or a Thai car?

There is no snob value in Euro cars (unless you're referring to high end exotics or luxury limos like the Rolls Royce), it just people like you who think there is one.

How about the selling point of these cars is the fact that some of them are actually quite good? Not all of them are but there are quite a few out there that have quality the locals will only dream of and are jam packed with features while priced attractively.
You can't label people who buy Euro cars a snob just because they have decided to shop elsewhere with their money. If they see better value somewhere else then why not buy that?
Old 18-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #53
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I dont really like this car to start with but its silly to say its in competition with it as theres alot more than just the purchase price.

Im sure services, tyres and eventually parts are about 5 or 10 times the cost of ford or holden parts.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #54
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Why does it matter where the car is built?
That is the point I am getting at.

Whether the car is made in France or Korea doesn't make a difference, it is still a french car. It was engineered and designed in France.

Is the Fiesta a Thai car or a European car?
Is the Volkswagen Golf a South African car or a European car?
Is the Accord a Japanese car or a Thai car?

There is no snob value in Euro cars (unless you're referring to high end exotics or luxury limos like the Rolls Royce), it just people like you who think there is one.

How about the selling point of these cars is the fact that some of them are actually quite good? Not all of them are but there are quite a few out there that have quality the locals will only dream of and are jam packed with features while priced attractively.
You can't label people who buy Euro cars a snob just because they have decided to shop elsewhere with their money. If they see better value somewhere else then why not buy that?

I stand by my original post..

Make all the comparisons you want.

Renualt = France and it is seen as a French brand NOT an international brand like Ford. GM etc.

People will by it for the price and the French aspect.... bottom line is it is made in Korea. Take what you want from that..
Old 18-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #55
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Settle down there....

So what you're saying is, my opinion is stupid because you don't agree with it??

Define 'prejudice' .... 'an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason'

Hmmm I can't talk for others, but if you did actually see what I wrote it was with my own personal knowledge, experience and was with reason.

Jump up and down as much as you like, but people do use past experiences with a particular marque in the decision making process when considering buying another car.

There is a stigma assiciated with European cars in Australia, they are generally seen as overpriced, expensive to maintain and depreciate more than other brands. As much as you have had a good run with your European cars, sad to say it certainly isn't the norm. My own ownership proved this as well.

Your response to me (and others??) started off well, but went into a childish rant of name calling that really wasn't necessary to get your point across.
No no no, you have me all wrong, the first part of my argument (you know, the part that started off well), was directed at you, I'm glad you found it enlightning. The next bit, the childish, off kilter rant. Well that was for a few others who have nothing to base their opinions on. You were spot on correct with that Dictionary google too. Well done.

Quote:
sad to say it certainly [Hassle free Euro Car owne[PHP][/PHP]rship] isn't the norm.
Based on what? ONE Citroen you owned?? Sorry, but that is not enough to convice me of that. Especially when I have quite a few acquaintances and friends who are more than happy with their BMW's, VW's, Mercs, Renaults, and Citroen's.

Your way of thinking must then give me supreme right to assume ALL Fords are problematic and unreliable now because I've had problems with every single one I have owned.. Well it doesn't and you know what? I continue to buy them, because they are my favourite local manufacturer by a long shot. But having two FG's and a Renault is eye opening.

When I watch the way the Renault's (giant) windows wind up after I walk away from the car, in perfect, quiet, and fast smooth unison, then compare it to the FG's, whose winder motors audibly strain and slow right down and stick as the windows go up (and near crap themselves when asked to wind up both at once) . It makes me laugh when so many here assume a french car is a shuddering heap of *** that will fall apart in seconds.. Well, It ain't.. Not by a long shot
Old 18-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #56
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
I stand by my original post..

Make all the comparisons you want.

Renualt = France and it is seen as a French brand NOT an international brand like Ford. GM etc.

People will by it for the price and the French aspect.... bottom line is it is made in Korea. Take what you want from that..
You can stand by your post that's fine, I just think you're a little lost trying to bend "facts" to suit your own agenda.
Guess we'll have to leave it at that.
Old 18-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #57
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
When I watch the way the Renault's (giant) windows wind up after I walk away from the car, in perfect, quiet, and fast smooth unison, then compare it to the FG's, whose winder motors audibly strain and slow right down and stick as the windows go up (and near crap themselves when asked to wind up both at once) . It makes me laugh when so many here assume a french car is a shuddering heap of *** that will fall apart in seconds.. Well, It ain't.. Not by a long shot
I'm not the only person I know that has given up on European cars but we can move along on that one perhaps.... I still have a Fiat in the garage BTW lol so some lessons are learnt the hard way

Funny you mention the windows.... The straw that broke the camels back with the Pluriel was the rear window motor... when that decided to give up the ghost out of warranty after the other faults were found in warranty I called the local Citroen parts supplier to find that a new motor was 'only $1800'.... Oh and the motor blowing was a 'known and common problem'... (proven by the fact that the dozen or so car breakers in the UK and France didn't have one) So, I was peeved on 2 counts, 1 that the the cost was stupidly expensive and 2, it wasn't repaired free seeing as my car had less than 30k on it, hardly the result of excessive 'wear and tear'.....

I agree that European cars are better in many ways compared with the local offerings, Citroen was a shining pioneer in car design in the early days, thus my desire to get a 2CV in the garage.. (I have a thing for unique cars)...
Old 18-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I like the look of that, if I came up for buying another car again, if it and the Kia Optima came in manual, they'd both make the list in the top 5 for me.
Old 18-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #59
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Settle down there....

As much as you have had a good run with your European cars, sad to say it certainly isn't the norm. My own ownership proved this as well.
Do you have facts that prove what you've just shat out of your mouth? Didn't think so.
And your opinion is stupid because it is far from fact. One dud car doesn't warrant a generalisation on one of Europes biggest selling makes.
I'll bet you a good sum the electric motor for your convertible wasn't a Citroen part to start with.
At the end of the day a 1950s Citroen has more technology than that heap in your avatar. If Europe weren't innovators and remained in the stone age or waited for someone else to take the lead then you might be singing their praises for producing mediocre crap like Japan and Korea.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
At the end of the day a 1950s Citroen has more technology than that heap in your avatar.
That car might be a heap, but its indestructable, we've still got ours from new in 1999 and its been neglected all its life but it still soldiers on, albeit with lots of lifter noise.

Built by Kia