Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #31
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Australian Made cars?
Personally I think using the word "Australian Made" when talking about cars is a very bad thing.. Most australian think Asutralian built cars are crap & badly built!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #32
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
so do you have proof to back up that statement? Are you a supplier? Or did you hear it from a friend of a friend that just knows this kind of stuff?
Its what I call a Bob "fact" someones found some information somewhere added their own unique spin and then decided to post it as factual. If you want another example, have a look at post # 3. I have to ask where do you get those figures from Bob?

Holden suppliers do not have Holden over the barrel. Yes Holden has outsurced some of its manufacturing processes and some suppliers have moved premises to reduce freight/logistic costs. The reason Holden did this is so they can concentrate on their core business which is building cars. In addition to that, many of these companies can produce parts cheaper than Holden can, because of their expertise in their chosen fields.

On the flip side, how could a supplier invest millions in captial to set up such a premises wth state of the art machinery, without trying to gurantee a return on their investment? They cant, so Holden and its suppliers would have had memorandums of understanding and contracts in place to try and protect all parties (both Holden and its suppliers) To suggest suppliers have Holden over a barrel is incorrect, Holden would have agreed to the contracts as their was advantages in doing so.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #33
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Its what I call a Bob "fact" someones found some information somewhere added their own unique spin and then decided to post it as factual. If you want another example, have a look at post # 3. I have to ask where do you get those figures from Bob?

Holden suppliers do not have Holden over the barrel. Yes Holden has outsurced some of its manufacturing processes and some suppliers have moved premises to reduce freight/logistic costs. The reason Holden did this is so they can concentrate on their core business which is building cars. In addition to that, many of these companies can produce parts cheaper than Holden can, because of their expertise in their chosen fields.

On the flip side, how could a supplier invest millions in captial to set up such a premises wth state of the art machinery, without trying to gurantee a return on their investment? They cant, so Holden and its suppliers would have had memorandums of understanding and contracts in place to try and protect all parties (both Holden and its suppliers) To suggest suppliers have Holden over a barrel is incorrect, Holden would have agreed to the contracts as their was advantages in doing so.
yeah i did a bit of searching about the hirotec deal and all i can work out from it is that its pretty much a standard business deal.
In my search i found a post from bobthebuilder that very obviously implied that holden were doing dodgy stuff and they were likely to go under. Obviously looking back now he has no idea what he's talking about.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #34
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076

Here you go SB, from the website

http://www.australianmade.com.au/logo/

So exactly what is your point. Whats the point of having a contract if you dont intend to enforce it. Hirotec did just that when Holden halved production towards end of 2008. I will try and find the link again.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #35
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
The key point here, is that you may have a Falcon going for $34000, but you have to wipe out on road costs (approx $5000), and you have to wipe out R&D and depreciation etc (probably $7000 per car), to get a real car cost of car production. ie probably in the low to mid $20's. Then you need to work out if $13,000 of the Falcon was actually produced in Australia. 1800 workers making 2500 cars a month, only equates to about $3600 of Ford labour into the car, maybe double that for Ford supplier australian employees, and you get $7200. Add in material costs etc, and you would probably make the 50% mark with the Falcon, commodore and Territory.
Bob I was refering to your above comments (not the definition of Australian made)

And my point is that suppliers dont have Holden over a barrel as you suggested - Do you honestly think some big suppliers manipulated poor litte innocent Holden into signing a contract, so as you stated they could have them over a barrel? Holden wouldnt have signed the contracts if there was no benefit to them. Unfortunately for all GFC came and Holden had to slash its output (as did the suppliers) If you think the suppliers are benefited from this in anyway I suggest you go out and speak to some of them and see what they say.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :

Last edited by SB076; 10-06-2011 at 04:03 PM.
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #36
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
At the moment the official campaign is 'you buy a car with your Heart and your Head'.
i've seen them a few times, they even featured a falcon in one!
i would say ford advertise their model mix rather evenly, rather than put all their eggs in the falcon basket, and i think its working for them.

its only the fans on AFF that want it to still be the falcon car company.

i'm not suggesting the falcon is selling well, but if you look at the products about to come online in the next 6 months or so, i don't believe ford are carrying on like many on here assume.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #37
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda are making the claim based on the 'design' element done in conjunction with the Ranger.
Doesn't matter how Ford advertise if the dealer experience sucks!
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post