Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #31
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NSW: No More Rego Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Sorry did I say I drove unregistered vehicles by swapping plates, dont think so, one because it was illegal and 2 the sticker issue prevented it.

Its hard to swap stickers(though the newones come off very easily now), unless you pull the windscreen out or something, thats why it was illegal to put them on quarter vents side windows etc.

If the vehicle doesnt have the correct color sticker then it sticks out like dogs......to an enforcement officer from 500m away, .......okay,maybe 30m.
i didn't say you did say you drove by swapping plates. you did say though "Yep, and some of us have cars the same model/colour making it even less detectable even if they run a licence plate check"...

on that note, a different coloured sticker may stand out when your car is parked or has been pulled over by the police, but they would have to have damn good eyesight to see what colour it is when you are going past a hwp officer on the side of the freeway doing speed checks at 100km/h...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #32
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
damn good eyesight to see what colour it is when you are going past a hwp officer on the side of the freeway doing speed checks at 100km/h...
not so flash sight needed when they are driving/crawling/stationary at the same speed in the lane next to you.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #33
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not so flash sight needed when they are driving/crawling/stationary at the same speed in the lane next to you.
obviously.... not that it matters anymore anyway and i think you'll find they will have been using the number plate recognition system for quite a while, it won't be a "new" thing they've just introduced overnight...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #34
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Yep, takes about 3mins of time and very little effort...is this guy looking for a Gov job ?
think about a business with many vehicles It's not the 3 minutes to put it on it's calling the vehicle in off the road to do it

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
think about a business with many vehicles It's not the 3 minutes to put it on it's calling the vehicle in off the road to do it
And just how many public vegetables are there in each "sticker dept" costing us $100k a year not counting the actual costs of making and distributing the labels?

All so a copper can spot a label?

Pigs freckle.

Lets spend $millions to catch a few people and grab an extra $100k a year in unpaid regos...
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #36
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
What about extending the E tag system to incorporate registration and infringement notices....
Yeah good move...but there are actually people that don't live in metro areas.
(but it wont be long before the Safe-T-Cam will do this full time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I work for a company like that.
Obviously the person in charge of registering the 80-90 or so trucks, 180+ trailers and about 50 Dolly's doesn't run all over the country putting rego stickers on things.
They are never 'called in off the road' to do it, we have mechanics, managers or yard workers to do it.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #37
nb_351
building the xe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I work for a company like that.
Obviously the person in charge of registering the 80-90 or so trucks, 180+ trailers and about 50 Dolly's doesn't run all over the country putting rego stickers on things.
They are never 'called in off the road' to do it, we have mechanics, managers or yard workers to do it.
same here mate, i get given several rego labels a week to change in my travels between our yards... its a case of "when and if you see this truck/trailer, change the label" deal, some can go weeks without being changed because the planets dont align and i dont get there when theyre in the yards... its hard when some of our stuff run for 22 hours a day, they come in from one run, and leave for another one within the hour... doesnt leave much time for repairs/service either, which is why i have the authority to ground things
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #38
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I honestly don't know how well this will work. I was out early the other morning taking photos of the sunrise, went past some road blocks, told the traffic controller where I was going. The policeman on the side of the road obviously decided to do a check, as I came back through, he came pelting across the road to stop me - to make sure my car was registered. Apparently, his computer told him my rego was from NSW, not Victoria...now he couldn't see my registration sticker on the left hand side of the car from where he was sitting in his...and messed up the rego. I only went back that way because I didn't know any other way to go...and yet he didn't follow me...??

Granted it's a different state...but...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #39
b2tf
not here much anymore

Rego stickers are outdated and should be a thing of the past.

Case in point - in NSW they introduced a few years ago that you could pay your registration online. I took this up, paid via BPAY and printed off a copy of the payment receipt to put in the glovebox and put the rego sticker on.

Problem was, since I paid via the Internet, the receipt number was not printed on the rego sticker so even though the rego was paid (and I could prove it was), when I got pulled over the HWP had a hell of a time because there was no payment number on the rego sticker. A simple computer check on their part clarified things but that actually highlighted a flaw in the system - meaning that the rego label was inaccurate and therefore, in my opinion pointless.

I notice this year that they have changed the rego papers to say you dont actually need a receipt number anymore but its taken them that long to figure out the problem.

Every police car can find out if your car is rego'd or not, be that through detection cameras or the cop using a good old fashioned radio, therefore a sticker stuck to your windscreen isnt really going to matter when all the info they need is only a few buttons away anyway.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #40
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thing is that for stuff like random breath tests they don't even look at your rego sticker.
However, the cops know that if it isn't there, then something is amiss. If we didn't have rego stickers, they'd have to go back to thier car and do a radio check, taking up valuable time that they could be pulling over other cars.

Not to mention that one glance at the sticker, here in Queensland at least, immediately tells you if it belongs to the car it's on or not...it lists the rego number in big letters, then underneath what the vehicle is (year, make, model, and colour), then underneath that the VIN number. No need to tie up time placing radio checks on whether your car is indeed rego'd, one glance tells them that the sticker and plates don't match the car they are on.

I can see the point of getting rid of them, but eqaully I can see good points for keeping them...getting rid of them will just tie up police time and cause an army of even more beaurocrats to be created to keep track of all the data. They can do a radio check on rego now, but they don't have to becuase of the sticker.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #41
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
therefore a sticker stuck to your windscreen isnt really going to matter when all the info they need is only a few buttons away anyway.
But they were really handy a while ago, when our parking nazi's rangers used to walk along checking rego stickers as well as your parking time!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #42
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Unsure how the other states renewal system works, but here in Vic we get the new sticker with our renewal notice. The sticker can then be stuck on the windscreen without paying, so it doesnt help at all in determining whether the vehicle is currently registered.

Wonder when Victoria will delete them? Probably some time yet.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #43
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got pulled over on friday by hwy patrol..he walks up to the car a says" whats the go with your rego" and im like what do you mean.."your car is unreg" i say bull **** its got rego till december....anyway he goes around and looks at the sticker and its all as i said..he then goes back to his car and checks with the RTA and it all ok....then i asked him why he pulled me over and he said " out new onboard rego detector detected your car as no rego"...
its not a ruff looker or anything either ... its my wifes 09 captiva (yeah yeah i know) .. but untill he seen my sticker he was treating me as if i was breaking the law so i think we should keep them!
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #44
LTDHO
The one and only

Awesome, so I can use my number plates on any car on same description and pay one rego!

Could be time to get a black NC fairlane as a daily!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #45
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Awesome, so I can use my number plates on any car on same description and pay one rego!

Could be time to get a black NC fairlane as a daily!!
Really, not the crime of the century since you can only drive one at a time, having to pay rego on six vehicles that only get driven one at a time is!

Yep, perhaps someone can tell us do the automatic number plate cheques recognise that the plate its attached to the vehicle on the rego description?
Old 13-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #46
MAV50L
Banned

I dont see the point in having the stickers neither.
If you had 2 cars the same model and colour and you wanted to swap the rego's between them all you have to do is pop down to the RTA and tell them your rego sticker has fallen off (very common in NSW with the crap stickers they have now) pay $18 and get given a new label.
Put it on the unregistered car , leave the original on the registered car and swap the plates between the 2 as much as you please.
Actually know someone who did it for 3 years straight , numerous RBT's etc and never a word said.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #47
Spinner5711

Quote:
Sorry did I say I drove unregistered vehicles by swapping plates, dont think so, one because it was illegal and 2 the sticker issue prevented it.

Its hard to swap stickers(though the newones come off very easily now), unless you pull the windscreen out or something, thats why it was illegal to put them on quarter vents side windows etc.

If the vehicle doesnt have the correct color sticker then it sticks out like dogs......to an enforcement officer from 500m away, .......okay,maybe 30m.

Dunno about that. You can put your registration label onto any fixed window on the left side of the car irrespective of the window's position. The only reason why you *shouldn't* put it onto an opening window is because you could open and thus not be clearly displaying a current registration label.
Old 13-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #48
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Unsure how the other states renewal system works, but here in Vic we get the new sticker with our renewal notice. The sticker can then be stuck on the windscreen without paying, so it doesnt help at all in determining whether the vehicle is currently registered.

Wonder when Victoria will delete them? Probably some time yet.
100% correct. And yeas it would be great it they got rid of this waste of time and money.

Oh and for those people thinking they can swap plates from car to car. All good until something goes wrong. Have a major accident and you will still be booked for driving an unregistered car. And now the accident is your fault even if it wasnt.
Old 13-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #49
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really, not the crime of the century since you can only drive one at a time, having to pay rego on six vehicles that only get driven one at a time is!

Yep, perhaps someone can tell us do the automatic number plate cheques recognise that the plate its attached to the vehicle on the rego description?

Two sets of the same plates on similair cars my be an option for some.
I wonder if number plates will eventualy come out with a second hidden identify to reduce the risk of this hapening. Similiar to datadots.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #50
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Oh and for those people thinking they can swap plates from car to car. All good until something goes wrong. Have a major accident and you will still be booked for driving an unregistered car. And now the accident is your fault even if it wasnt.
I dont think any one here says its a good idea, just that abolishing the stickers can open up the situation to that type of fraud.
Old 13-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #51
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Bit of reminiscing here.

In Victoria years ago, we got the renewal notice/certificate in the mail without the new reg label. We then had to pay the registration well before the expiry, by sending a cheque to the registration main office. Later there were regional registration offices where we could queue up and pay. (There were also the days we also had to nominate the Third Party insurer, RACV or State Insurance, there was another as well, now its just the TAC which was State insurance).

Then after waiting a week or so after mailing the cheque, we got the registration certificate back with the receipt of the amount printed in blue along an edge, and a new label.

We then had to get the old label off, by scratching it off using a razor. Later on some genius came up with a method of using a wet tissue folded into the size of the label, and holding it against the old label for some hours with some gladwrap to hold it on and stop the tissue drying out. After soaking, the label came off straight away in one piece. Such technology using gladwrap!

Then we applied the new label by soaking it in a small saucepan of water for a minute or so, stick it on the windscreen or 1/4 vent window, slide off the backing, then smooth out the bubbles and water using a sponge.

How things have changed!!

But back to the stupidity of the current labels. They are now nearly twice as big as they used to be, no kidding they now cover nearly a third of the height of the left side of the windscreen of my MGB. No where else to put it as there is no fixed rear side window, and it literally fills up the quarter vent window if we were still allowed to put it there. So visibility suffers because of the 'great' idea of some bright spark in Vicroads or TAC. Will be so glad when they eventually disappear in Vic, but won't hold my breath.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #52
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Bit of reminiscing here.

In Victoria years ago, we got the renewal notice/certificate in the mail without the new reg label. We then had to pay the registration well before the expiry, by sending a cheque to the registration main office. Later there were regional registration offices where we could queue up and pay. (There were also the days we also had to nominate the Third Party insurer, RACV or State Insurance, there was another as well, now its just the TAC which was State insurance).

Then after waiting a week or so after mailing the cheque, we got the registration certificate back with the receipt of the amount printed in blue along an edge, and a new label.

We then had to get the old label off, by scratching it off using a razor. Later on some genius came up with a method of using a wet tissue folded into the size of the label, and holding it against the old label for some hours with some gladwrap to hold it on and stop the tissue drying out. After soaking, the label came off straight away in one piece. Such technology using gladwrap!

Then we applied the new label by soaking it in a small saucepan of water for a minute or so, stick it on the windscreen or 1/4 vent window, slide off the backing, then smooth out the bubbles and water using a sponge.

How things have changed!!

But back to the stupidity of the current labels. They are now nearly twice as big as they used to be, no kidding they now cover nearly a third of the height of the left side of the windscreen of my MGB. No where else to put it as there is no fixed rear side window, and it literally fills up the quarter vent window if we were still allowed to put it there. So visibility suffers because of the 'great' idea of some bright spark in Vicroads or TAC. Will be so glad when they eventually disappear in Vic, but won't hold my breath.
Sure, it was an art taking them off and putting the new one on, and failure guaranteed if all the glue wasnt removed from the screen before fitting the new one. Nearly twice the size, surely an exaggeration.

One thing I didnt think to mention before, is the world of the shopping for a used car.
Customarily we check that the vin and eng numbers matched the rego label(dont think the eng number gets a go on the latest labels).
How do we find out we have a dud now, after we've bought the thing and sent in the paper work? we can ring vicroads and get them to tell us what they ought to be before purchase? on a weekend.....great.
Old 14-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #53
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One thing I didnt think to mention before, is the world of the shopping for a used car.
Customarily we check that the vin and eng numbers matched the rego label(dont think the eng number gets a go on the latest labels).
How do we find out we have a dud now, after we've bought the thing and sent in the paper work? we can ring vicroads and get them to tell us what they ought to be before purchase? on a weekend.....great.

not to mention... if you have an accident, how on earth do you know the other car is registered? If its a minor accident you dont have to report it to police, but if the car isnt registered, id sure as hell be ringing them up, but now how would you know?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #54
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete
Two sets of the same plates on similair cars my be an option for some.
I wonder if number plates will eventualy come out with a second hidden identify to reduce the risk of this hapening. Similiar to datadots.
A guy in the motorbike club we used to be in had the odd and amazing and totally unplanned coincidence of the two mid-1960's BMW's he owned which seemed to have come from the factory with the exact same engine number and chassis number, but one was black with white striping and the other was white with black striping...how odd! One was registered, and of course he never ever considered swapping the number plates between the two bikes...

Motorcyclists have been pushing for years to have a "collective rego" as many motorcyclists own more than one bike, and you can't ride more than one at a time...not to mention how rare it is for someone to loan someone else thier bike to ride.
The idea was that you pay one basic registration fee as we pay now, and then a further small fee for each vehicle added to that rego. The registration plate would then be swapped between vehicles. The fraud aspect of it was handled by a suggestion that if you were caught with the plates on a vehicle (say a mates bike instead of one of yours) not listed on your "collective rego", then they were all cancelled and you were excluded from the collective rego system for having abused the privelage, and you'd have to go back to the normal "register each one seperately" system.
The government isn't "missing out on rego money", and is in fact making some money they wouldn't have had before. This is because I know guys with ten motorcycles in roadworthy condition that they would love to ride, but don't because of the crippling cost of all the registrations. I have two in the shed myself unregistered, but like the other guys we will never register all of them on normal rego or restrictive club rego, so they just sit there and get ridden around the yard now and then.

Of course, this sounds like entirely too much common sense for the government to ever consider it.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #55
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
And now the accident is your fault even if it wasnt.
How so?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #56
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
How so?
Like if you're over .05 If you're unregistered and on the road when you shouldn't be, you're at fault.

I'm not trying to be a nanny here just stating that breaking the law has consequences. I know your chances of being caught are low, parking fines speed camera's, even basic police checks are unlikely to bring you undone. But if you have a biggie and someone gets hurt...
Old 14-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #57
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I still like having the label on the car, what happens if you move house and dont pay it and never get a reminder, theres no label on the car..

Maybe making them smaller would be a good start.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #58
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least they're peel off stickers today...when I started driving it was right at the end of the old "slide off water transfer" decals like you get in a plastic model kit. Those buggers would stay in place for decades and almost needed a blowtorch and jackhammer to get them off...
Old 14-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #59
LightningStrike

Surprised the RTA hasn't made them available in designer colours, with an additional fee payable naturally, for suckers (like me with personalised plates)!

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #60
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrike
Surprised the RTA hasn't made them available in designer colours, with an additional fee payable naturally, for suckers (like me with personalised plates)!
Haha good idea. I could get a matching 'prestige black with white' rego sticker.