Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #31
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 
Default Re: New 5lt in FG XR8's?

not too sure.

The only reason I can see why they wouldn't, would be that if it doesn't achieve the goals they set.. (what ever they may be).

I think it's highly likely that the engine without its DiVCT etc wouldn't be up to the task and that they are waiting to implement it when the appropriate changes are made.

My fingers are crossed.
Old 27-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
not too sure.

The only reason I can see why they wouldn't, would be that if it doesn't achieve the goals they set.. (what ever they may be).

I think it's highly likely that the engine without its DiVCT etc wouldn't be up to the task and that they are waiting to implement it when the appropriate changes are made.

My fingers are crossed.
I wonder if this would be a way to integrate Falcon and Mustang electrical systems,
not completely but a start down the road to more in sourcing in connection with other regions..
Old 28-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #33
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Appropriate changes? Sounds PCMish to me.

I'm assuming then that you mean the new PCM in the Territory will be making the crossover to FGII... even though the EPAS won't do so (yet?).

Lukeyson
Old 28-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #34
gtfpv
GT

thats a cop out and sterrs me clear of brute utes , there is no such car out there so it shouldnt exist on the track . the fg ute should have the 5.4 290 engine in it , as thats what the xr8 came out with . 2ndly bout time the bf 260 was replaced with the 290 fg ute . i know the bfxr8 260 Boss is pushing 300kws though , soooooo . i dont know what difference the fg 290 would make at all . but an FG UTE 5 Litre na coyote v8 is a pipe dream and may as well have pulse jet fitted IMHO. sorry
Old 28-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #35
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

The BF XR8s have been running the Boss 290s for years.

(Edit, in the Brutes)
Old 28-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #36
StrikeTwiceXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a bit of "I wish Ford would bring back the XR8" talk on this forum".
1. A GS is the same as an XR8, but you get more for your dollar with the GS (retail for the same price).
2. You get a truck load more performance potential for your dollar from the GS.
3. Bring back the XR8 in it's old guise, YEAH RIGHT! I fail to believe that the Ford consumer had it better when the XR8 was around.
Old 28-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
thats a cop out and sterrs me clear of brute utes , there is no such car out there so it shouldnt exist on the track . the fg ute should have the 5.4 290 engine in it , as thats what the xr8 came out with . 2ndly bout time the bf 260 was replaced with the 290 fg ute . i know the bfxr8 260 Boss is pushing 300kws though , soooooo . i dont know what difference the fg 290 would make at all . but an FG UTE 5 Litre na coyote v8 is a pipe dream and may as well have pulse jet fitted IMHO. sorry
You should be sorry.
The guy decided to run an engine that's obviously got a capacity disadvantage
compared to BF 5.4 Boss and Holden 6.0 Chev, he went through the right
channels and got approval.

We now have a showcase vehicle that demonstrates what a 5.0 Mustang
engine can do as compared to the 5.4 Boss and Holden V8.

PS, 5.0 Coyote isn't a pipe dream, it's a corporate engine......
Old 28-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #38
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So do we have another racing category that has nothing to do with the car in the dealership?
Old 28-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape
So do we have another racing category that has nothing to do with the car in the dealership?
One exception in a full field hardly makes the racing category unrelated to a dealership,
not when Ford could well be considering a resumption of XR8 sedan/Ute with a crate engine...

BTW, Car of the future in V8 SC will be allowing twin cam 5.0 for Fords......
a perfect opportunity for the new FPV 5.0 and a 5.0 XR8 to cash in...
Old 28-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #40
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
BTW, Car of the future in V8 SC will be allowing twin cam 5.0 for Fords......
a perfect opportunity for the new FPV 5.0 and a 5.0 XR8 to cash in...
And hopefully a cheaper and more reliable engine at those powerlevels since its already built to rev.
Old 28-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
And hopefully a cheaper and more reliable engine at those powerlevels since its already built to rev.
I have a feeling that this might work out well in Ford's favor especially if cars get lighter too...
Old 28-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #42
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I have a feeling that this might work out well in Ford's favor especially if cars get lighter too...
Unfortunately it wont matter, V8SC's and COTF have class specified min weight limits as well as weight distribution % rules, so even if it was lighter it would have to carry ballast at the front to compensate.

If it makes more power/torque it will be limited.. You get the picture.

Cant ever see them switching from the current engines as they'd be far cheaper than starting from scratch and the class rules wont allow any engine to have an advantage..

The utes actually have a similar parity system which will be adjusted to control and advantage/disadvantage the coyote has.
Old 28-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #43
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:

Agreed, Brutes are meant to be a production based series they should have got the Ford runners to update to a FG Body and run the current Boss 5.4L untill a replacement model is released.

If Ford chooses not to build a N/A 5.0L XR8 fullstop they should have upgraded to the FPV GS to run the S/C 5.0.

A "Made up" model takes the series down the wrong road IMO.
Old 28-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #44
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Agreed, Brutes are meant to be a production based series they should have got the Ford runners to update to a FG Body and run the current Boss 5.4L untill a replacement model is released.

If Ford chooses not to build a N/A 5.0L XR8 fullstop they should have upgraded to the FPV GS to run the S/C 5.0.

A "Made up" model takes the series down the wrong road IMO.
Unfortunately its been like that since the beginning, the First BA's used in the series still ran 220 windsors. The 5.4 wasn't introduced till some time later, BF from memory.

They're introducing the N/A coyote for ongoing supply reasons, you cant buy new 5.4 Boss engines anymore.
It may or may not be an indication of the future, id lean towards simple supply convenience.
Old 28-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #45
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not sure how you guys read into this but i would be happy to see the ute series allow both ford and holden to use their s/c engines ,ford can go on about their gs all they like but at the end of the day its an xr8 with coyote motor, great, i am sure hsv have one of there chevs running about with a s/c .i know as a bf fpv owner i wouldn't trade my ute in on one i personally like the look of the fpv ,but would rather see production ute out there and like previously stated i don't know of any production falcon utes out there non s/c...doc
Old 28-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #46
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
The BF XR8s have been running the Boss 290s for years.

(Edit, in the Brutes)
well i didnt know that , but i dont know how they can do this , it does not seem right
Old 28-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #47
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
not sure how you guys read into this but i would be happy to see the ute series allow both ford and holden to use their s/c engines ,ford can go on about their gs all they like but at the end of the day its an xr8 with coyote motor, great, i am sure hsv have one of there chevs running about with a s/c .i know as a bf fpv owner i wouldn't trade my ute in on one i personally like the look of the fpv ,but would rather see production ute out there and like previously stated i don't know of any production falcon utes out there non s/c...doc
Holden don't have a S/C engine in any of their utes, nor do HSV.
Old 28-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #48
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
well i didnt know that , but i dont know how they can do this , it does not seem right
Yep, and technically they're not 290's either, they have a custom exhaust, intake and tune to match the Holden 6.0l output anyway.
Old 28-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #49
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Yep, and technically they're not 290's either, they have a custom exhaust, intake and tune to match the Holden 6.0l output anyway.
When you say "technically" do you mean they don't have the 290 internals? eg cam spec, CR, etc. Or do you mean they're brought up to 290kW with bolt ons?
Old 28-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #50
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
As pointed out earlier by AMGC63 it's a matter of having what's available from the OEM. There were no longer any 260s being made from late '07/early '08 so they had to use something.

The bottom line is they're all pushing out about the same power and have the same weight. They need to do this otherwise it would end up a one-brand race as only one type would most likely have clear advantage over the other, and there's certainly no way they'll get the manufacturers pouring dollars into their production utes for the sake of this category.
Old 28-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #51
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
When you say "technically" do you mean they don't have the 290 internals? eg cam spec, CR, etc. Or do you mean they're brought up to 290kW with bolt ons?
He's saying they are the 290 engine.

However, they have modified induction (CAI) and Exhaust along with a tune.

The result of this is that they actually have more then 290kW of power.
Old 28-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #52
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
oops, yeah, 290 parts i guess. Some are bittsa's, others 290 spec, regardless if they start as 260's or 290's from ford they are all controlled to make the same RWKW, about 240-250 from distant memory, certainly more than 290 at the FW.
Old 28-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #53
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
As pointed out earlier by AMGC63 it's a matter of having what's available from the OEM. There were no longer any 260s being made from late '07/early '08 so they had to use something.

The bottom line is they're all pushing out about the same power and have the same weight. They need to do this otherwise it would end up a one-brand race as only one type would most likely have clear advantage over the other, and there's certainly no way they'll get the manufacturers pouring dollars into their production utes for the sake of this category.
Yep, spot on.
Old 28-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #54
jjw